Are LORs from teachers with titles other than Professor OK? (ex: Lecturer, Fellow, etc.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

careerchanger77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers! I was wondering....

1. Are Letters of Recommendation from college teachers with titles other than Professor viewed as weaker or on par with those with Professor titles?

Ex: Sr. Lecturer, Dean's Fellow

2. Would LORs from "Assistant Professor"s and "Associate Professor"s be viewed as less strong than those from faculty with the title "Professor"?

---

Context: I'm trying to pick out classes for my DIY post bacc schedule for this fall. It's been 10 yrs since my undergrad, so I am in need of cultivating relationships to get LOR in the classes I take from here on out..... should I pick a Professor's class over a Sr. Lecturer's or Dean's Fellow's class? Would a class and LOR from an Associate Professor be viewed as favorably as that of a Professor's, assuming I have an equally good relationship in whatever class I take? Or does the title of the LOR not matter at all?

Advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users