Are my chances OK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerseyBelle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a first time user. I have a question. I applied to six osteopathic schools. I have a Master's degree in Microbiology (thought the subject was interesting) and my combined MCATs are 20 and a R.
What do you think? The schools are: MSU-COM, UNECOM, LECOM, UMDNJ-SOM, NYCOM, and OUCOM.
I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you.
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by MadameCole:
•Hello. I am a first time user. I have a question. I applied to six osteopathic schools. I have a Master's degree in Microbiology (thought the subject was interesting) and my combined MCATs are 20 and a R.
What do you think? The schools are: MSU-COM, UNECOM, LECOM, UMDNJ-SOM, NYCOM, and OUCOM.
I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you.
:confused:

Your MCAT score is kinda low. Most osteopathic schools have an average MCAT score of at least 24, and in order to be "competitive", you should be around the 27 or above range.

I have heard of some students getting in with lower scores (22-24), but in most cases these individuals had a lot of volunteer and research experience. If you fall into this category, you may have a chance of getting in.

Good luck.

I have a friend who received a 6-7-8,O MCAT (21 Total) and received three acceptances to D.O. school. Don't give up, just let your experiences, advanced degree, and dedication to becoming a D.O. do the talking. Good luck and don't worry! :D

MadameCole

No one thing will knock you out of the running.... while your MCAT scores are not at the "average", you have an advanced degree... that happens to be in science. That shows you have at least some ability to do rigorous coursework. If you combine that with other aspects of your package: research, volunteer work, personal statement and letters, you still have a good chance of being selected.

Just remember to Keep the Faith.... 'cause in life, we are often our worst enemy.

All the best :)