Are specific FM residencies more tailored for sports medicine fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkayyyx33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm planning on applying to the next round of the Match next year to FM. Ideally, I'd like to do a sports medicine fellowship down the line, so I was wondering if it matters which FM programs I apply to? Are some programs more MSK/Sports med focused than others? And if so, are any of said programs located in the Midwest?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with above, I think being somewhere with a fellowship would help. I'm not sure who else does it, but JPS in TX will have residents do a 4 year residency and have the fellowship included longitudinally in the last 2 years. So yoy would bypass having to match after residency. Not sure of all the details though

://www.jpshealthnet.org/academics_research

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there are tons in the Midwest. Some FM programs have their own sports medicine track.

It's a lot easier to get the exposure and experience you need (clinic, game coverage, etc) when there's either an in-house sports medicine fellowship and/or a specific track.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above. You could work backwards and check AMSSM. Look at the locations of the fellowships and see if there is also a FM program. Worst case scenario and you match into a program without a sports track or in-house program either network with a current sports doc or check out the sports medicine boards here to find out what you should be doing during residency and when you should do it.

Look at St. Joseph's in Mishawaka and Memorial in South Bend. They have have a joint fellowship and both are great programs. I know St. Vincent's in Indianapolis has a fellowship and IU has a fellowship but it's in Indy as well.

If its a program that doesn't have an in-house fellowship program and/or sports medicine track, also note to see if the website lists where residents end up afterwards and note any that wound up in a sports medicine fellowship program (maybe even contact them?). On the interview trail you can ask the PD about their sports medicine electives (if they have any) and what exactly they entail. You can also ask the residents to see if anyone currently in the program is planning on applying for SM fellowships and ask them how their experience has been.

Right now I'm looking at advocate illinois masonic and lutheran around Chicago. Not sure what part of the midwest you're looking at.

Also consider doing an away / audition / whatever as a fourth year at some of these programs to really get a flavor of what the program as to offer. I wound up doing just that and the student coordinator did her best to schedule me in sports med clinic, where I worked with the PD and asked if I could tag along at some of the weekend football games. It also gave me a chance to ask about what experiences they look for in an applicant and gave me an idea of what all the FM residents do on their sports med month during clinic.