Are You a Geek?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are You a Geek?

• science/math geek

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • medschool geek

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • engineering geek

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • computer/techie geek

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • not a geek

Votes: 55 63.2%

• Total voters

trypmo

Arch Fiend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PotW

Do you consider yourself a geek?
This one inspired by a thread started last week-ish about med school geeks.

Definition of Geek: Someone who's deeply immersed in a subject, even to the extent that it shows through in little everyday manifestations.

Like, for example, in casual conversation I've caught myself saying something is "orders of magnitude" better than another thing: this betrays my science-geekiness.

Another example: if you're the "go-to-gal/guy" when people have a problem with their computers, and if you've ever referred to someone's intelligence as their "CPU speed," then chances are you're a computer/techie geek.

An infinite number of examples are, of course, possible (saying "an infinite number" --> another telltale sign). :D

For the purposes of this poll, geekiness is a positive and endearing quality (at least to fellow geeks).

Members don't see this ad.

You're a geek for making this poll!

jk man ;)

I'm a techie geek I suppose, since people come to me for computer help. But I would shoot myself in the head if I ever refer to someone's intelligence as "CPU Speed." ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wednesday bump -- c'mon geeks, let's see you represent! :)

I'd like to think that I'm not a geek, however, all of my friends tell me that I'm the biggest one, so I guess I have to accept that. I have so many examples haha, whenever I take a science class, I get so into it that I apply everyday life situation to it. I remember when I took mammalian physiology last year, I made the dumbest comments to my friends, things that were kinda related to the class, for example, if someone got excited I started analyzing his heart rate, blood pressure, his GI activity, hormonal release etc... I thought it was funny but now thinking about it, I can see why they thought I was a dork lol, it did help me to get an A+ in the class though, so I guess it was worth it

Yep pretty big dental geek here.

I work full time in a dental office and if you come to my home the coffee table is covered in Dental Town, Dental Economics, and Contemporary Esthetics to name just a few!

Represent Geeks!!

Trypmo, you gonna start a nerd poll next week??? A nerd isn't necessarily a geek...

I'm a geek when people see me in the library by chance...... :p

40 some odd "non-geeks" in a dental forum. Come on people... let's be honest with ourselves.

You're a geek only if you believe you are one. Just like a Jedi.

I think I just realized that I'm a geek.

Originally posted by predentchick
40 some odd "non-geeks" in a dental forum. Come on people... let's be honest with ourselves.
:laugh:

there should be an "other" geek choice cuz i think there are a lot of star wars/star trek/other things type geeks out there.

for myself...i dont think i'm one of the choices given but i would say i'm a star wars geek and a lotr geek. :cool:

btw, what exactly is the difference between a nerd and a geek? i just want to hear from other people cuz i have my own idea already.

Are you a noid or a greek? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty cool :cool:

geek - as defined by dictionary.com

1. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.

2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

3. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.

I'm a pretty big geek, but I?m also pretty arrogant, so I?m not sure where that places me in the realm of geekdom. Neerrrrrds...I think the real question here should be do you use a Macintosh and enjoy physics? :)

Here's more definitions of "geek" for you total enjoyment:

1) A person who may be very smart yet lacks the social graces of those who are considered cool , a "computer geek" is someone who spends too much time on the computer and has no social life.

2) Deragatory term for a person with limited social skills, and usually strong technical skills. While anybody can become a nerd, geeks are born, not made. The difference between a geek and a dweeb is that dweeb has no redeeming qualities.

3) A person that tends to have keen interest in alter-reality pursuits (science fiction, fantasy, etc.), almost to the point of distraction. Often these people may lack certain social graces because of an inability (or unwillingness) to separate fantasy from reality. (See also nerd and Neil?s treatise)

4) A slang term describing someone who is obsessed with computers and uses them at every opportunity in their free time, mainly for "social" purposes, e.g. communication via email and bulletin boards, playing mult-user games, etc. See also Anorak, Nerd, Techie and Trainspotter.

5) The sort of person who would get really excited at the prospect of using a text editor on a 900 megahertz workstation to write out the definitions of technical terms.

6) Traditionally a term of derision, geek has come to have a more positive connotation in this computer age. Technically adept people now frequently refer to themselves as geeks, in a mixture of self-deprecation and pride.

7) a person with an unusual or odd personality

8) a carnival performer who does disgusting acts

9) Social undesireable who, if not for the computer industry, would often be considered unemployable, but because of the computer industry, they often take home more money than people who work for a living.

You know you like it, don't front.

Originally posted by busupshot83

8) a carnival performer who does disgusting acts

hahaha...i wonder why this one is so different from the rest. like it has to be specifically a carnival performer doing the disgusting acts.

Trypmo, you're a gas. "I take my coffee 10X."

Originally posted by Sam Spade
Trypmo, you're a gas. "I take my coffee 10X."
Would that be a classical gas, an ideal gas, or a granular gas? :D :laugh:

Originally posted by trypmo
Would that be a classical gas, an ideal gas, or a granular gas? :D :laugh:

Refried bean gas.:horns: