Arizona Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
David,
When I was hunting for house over AZ, I asked my agent about cell phone carrier. She told me that T-Mobile works very well overthere and T-Mobile is giving very good deal right now if you never use it before. Hope this helps..

Justin.

Hoffa24 said:
Could any current student please tell me what cell-phone provider they use and how the coverage is?

Thanks,
David

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else getting a lil excited? :)

dane4695 said:

I'm starting to now. I wasn't a few weeks ago--too many things to do and still finishing up at work, but I just got back from Mesa last week and am making moving plans. My wife and I found a house, got new cell phones, etc. and now I AM getting excited.

Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the crew. wimmcs and I got together for dinner in March, it was great to meet a fellow SDNer and future classmate. I was able to see the clinic then, along with the current 1st-years, and it was superb. If you haven't seen it, you will love it.

PS We ought to use the forum on my.atsu to plan a party before school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
JustInTime said:
David,
When I was hunting for house over AZ, I asked my agent about cell phone carrier. She told me that T-Mobile works very well overthere and T-Mobile is giving very good deal right now if you never use it before. Hope this helps..

Justin.

I just picked-up Verizon service last week, and it's excellent. I had Cingular (formerly AT&T Wireless) for years, but my phone service was horrible on my trips to AZ. I was able to pick-up two new flip phones for free, plus a 500 min shared-minutes plan for $60. The best part is that minutes between Verizon customers are free, as well as nights and weekends. Since many of my minutes are used talking to my wife, that doesn't chew up my minutes when we talk cell-to-cell. I suspect that our class will spend a lot of time talking to each other, so the more of us that get Verizon, the less we'll spend on minutes. No, I'm not getting a commission, but I probably should!

spc213 said:
wimmcs and I got together for dinner in March, it was great to meet a fellow SDNer and future classmate.
PS We ought to use the forum on my.atsu to plan a party before school starts.

Hello spc213! It was fun meeting you and your wife and I'm glad to hear you found a house. It has been a long awaited moment, but we are finally moved in. We bought a home in Gilbert approx. 4 miles from the school, so we are really excited. We also attended a school event a couple of weeks ago where we met some fellow classmates. (It was great to meet all of those who attended). At the event, we were able to speak with a few ds-1 and ds-2 students who were very informative. They indicated that there will be an ice-cream social the Sunday before school starts, making it on July 24th. They also mentioned that there is some sort of evening party/social event that happens at Dr. Simonen's home after we get done with the first week of school. Thought I would share this info. Have you been to the "student forum" section at the ATSU portal? There is a thread called "dental 2009" you guys should check out as there is some information worth reading.
I am getting pretty excited and I'm looking forward to meeting all my classmates!!

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me some information on AZ's accreditation? Is it accredited? Is the school affiliated with a University or is it stand alone? How long has the school been open and any other useful information you could give me. Thanks! =)

John Q

Not just a little, but very excited :). Just thinking that we will start school in about a month, my heart already started to beat fast. In the mean time, I am preparing for the move to AZ.
dane4695 said:

JohnHICP said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me some information on AZ's accreditation? Is it accredited? Is the school affiliated with a University or is it stand alone? How long has the school been open and any other useful information you could give me. Thanks! =)

John Q

It's accredited as much as it can be. Full accreditation isn't granted until the first class graduates.

The school has been open for 2 years now, and the incoming class this July will be the 3rd class.

The School of Dentistry is a school under the AT Still University of Health Sciences. The medical school is the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, located in MO.

ItsGavinC said:
It's accredited as much as it can be. Full accreditation isn't granted until the first class graduates.

The school has been open for 2 years now, and the incoming class this July will be the 3rd class.

The School of Dentistry is a school under the AT Still University of Health Sciences. The medical school is the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, located in MO.

Does this AT Still U have a good rep? I come from having a bad experience at a new start up pharmacy school which basically ruining 240 lives and stole our 7.2 million dollars, so im weary of even applying anywhere if there is any doubt at all about accreditation. Can you tell me more about AT Still? Thanks

John Q

wimmcs said:
They indicated that there will be an ice-cream social the Sunday before school starts, making it on July 24th. They also mentioned that there is some sort of evening party/social event that happens at Dr. Simonen's home after we get done with the first week of school.

Yes, the dental ice cream social is on Sunday, July 24 from 6:30-8 at the school.

The following day I'll have a chance to meet all of you at the orientation luncheon from 11:30-1.

I don't think (but I could be wrong) that the party at Dr. Simonsen's home will be happening this year. With the Class of 2007 there was plenty of room. Last year, with the 2007 and 2008 class, it was quite crowded. Having all three classes would be impossible.

The social last year happened after the first week of D1 classes because that is when the D2 classes started. This year the D2s still start a week after you guys, but the D3s start the same day (or next day) as you. I *think* that the ice cream social is taking the place of the Dr. Simonsen social.

JohnHICP said:
Does this AT Still U have a good rep? I come from having a bad experience at a new start up pharmacy school which basically ruining 240 lives and stole our 7.2 million dollars, so im weary of even applying anywhere if there is any doubt at all about accreditation. Can you tell me more about AT Still? Thanks

John Q

The medical school is the oldest osteopathic medical school in the country. The dental school was the #2 most applied to dental school in the nation last year.

Are things tough at times? Sure, especially for my class. Everything we do is the *first* time it's been done. Is it worth it? For me it is. I'm forming a school, using brand new equipment and facilities, and enjoying life in AZ. There's no doubt at all about accreditation. It's as fully accredited as it could be.

ItsGavinC said:
The medical school is the oldest osteopathic medical school in the country. The dental school was the #2 most applied to dental school in the nation last year.

Are things tough at times? Sure, especially for my class. Everything we do is the *first* time it's been done. Is it worth it? For me it is. I'm forming a school, using brand new equipment and facilities, and enjoying life in AZ. There's no doubt at all about accreditation. It's as fully accredited as it could be.

Well thats all good to hear. 2nd most applied to? Really? wow. How can that be though with Pacific getting like a thousand and NYU just as much? i thought the cali schools and NYU got way more than everyone else? Thats amazing

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity what was the #1 and #3 most applied to dental universities in the country?

ItsGavinC said:

ItsGavinC said:
Yes, the dental ice cream social is on Sunday, July 24 from 6:30-8 at the school.

The following day I'll have a chance to meet all of you at the orientation luncheon from 11:30-1.

I don't think (but I could be wrong) that the party at Dr. Simonsen's home will be happening this year. With the Class of 2007 there was plenty of room. Last year, with the 2007 and 2008 class, it was quite crowded. Having all three classes would be impossible.

The social last year happened after the first week of D1 classes because that is when the D2 classes started. This year the D2s still start a week after you guys, but the D3s start the same day (or next day) as you. I *think* that the ice cream social is taking the place of the Dr. Simonsen social.

Thanks for the info. Sorry if there are any misunderstandings... :oops:

JohnHICP said:
Well thats all good to hear. 2nd most applied to? Really? wow. How can that be though with Pacific getting like a thousand and NYU just as much? i thought the cali schools and NYU got way more than everyone else? Thats amazing

I'm fairly sure that UOP gets more than a thousand, and NYU as well.

Arizona had over 2,000 applications last year.

ItsGavinC said:
I'm fairly sure that UOP gets more than a thousand, and NYU as well.

Arizona had over 2,000 applications last year.

Yeah, NYU's website says they got over 2000, how many students are in your class at AZ? and do you know how many students will be in the next classes?

I guess I've been a bit behind on coming on here...but I'll be with the rest of you in AZ. I'm very excited. Look forward to meeting you all! :eek:

ItsGavinC said:
I don't think (but I could be wrong) that the party at Dr. Simonsen's home will be happening this year.

... and I was incorrect. The traditional welcome reception will take place at the Rockin' R Ranch (it's just east of the school on Baseline) on Sunday, July 31 at 5 pm.

Hope to see you all there!

I am just wondering if any one has any information about collecting extracted teeth for ASDOH? Thank you.

ItsGavinC said:
54 in each class.
I heard through the grapevine that ASDOH will be accepting over 80 in its class next year.

Ruprick said:
I heard through the grapevine that ASDOH will be accepting over 80 in its class next year.

True.

ItsGavinC said:
Not quite true. They'll be bumping the class size to 80 exactly.

true