Army Baylor DPT Application (Applying 2018 for 2020 start)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robert Van Vliet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Im an applicant. Not sure if anyone is doing a thread this year for this program but was wondering how competitve an applicant I am for the Army Baylor DPT Program. I have the whole application done as of right now and have talked to a few students that got into Army Baylor and took their advice. I currently have these stats:

cGPA: 3.64
Prereq GPA: 3.8
GRE (best section scores): Verbal: 153 Quant: 157 and writing: 5.0
I have 300 total hours committed to observation with 150 coming from a VA outpatient, approximately 75 or so from inpatient rehab and then the other 75 scattered amongst various clinics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and would love to hear anyone else’s story.
Extra curriculars: Success mentor at elementary school (900 hours) for the past year, research grant for biomechanics research and a couple conferences preented at, national society of leadership and success excellence member and worked 10000+ hours as a nursing assistant at variety of facilities with my current one being a large hospital in Las Vegas.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also planning to apply this cycle. My question for anyone, is how important do they consider VA hours? I have read every forum on here about Army-Baylor and know that they emphasize VA clinic hours, but is it a deal breaker if you don't have any? I have literally called every where near me and near my university, but no one is allowing shadowing due to HIPPA rule change supposedly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Im an applicant. Not sure if anyone is doing a thread this year for this program but was wondering how competitve an applicant I am for the Army Baylor DPT Program. I have the whole application done as of right now and have talked to a few students that got into Army Baylor and took their advice. I currently have these stats:

cGPA: 3.64
Prereq GPA: 3.8
GRE (best section scores): Verbal: 153 Quant: 157 and writing: 5.0
I have 300 total hours committed to observation with 150 coming from a VA outpatient, approximately 75 or so from inpatient rehab and then the other 75 scattered amongst various clinics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and would love to hear anyone else’s story.
Extra curriculars: Success mentor at elementary school (900 hours) for the past year, research grant for biomechanics research and a couple conferences preented at, national society of leadership and success excellence member and worked 10000+ hours as a nursing assistant at variety of facilities with my current one being a large hospital in Las Vegas.

Selection to Army-Baylor DPT includes, but goes beyond the standard academic statistics, which these appear to meet eligibility requirements. You are applying to become a military officer, a profession unto itself. Training to become a military physical therapist necessitates that applicants learn and understand what it takes to be a successful officer, as well as being a successful DPT student with the appropriate undergraduate prep. What is motivating you to become a military physical therapist?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also planning to apply this cycle. My question for anyone, is how important do they consider VA hours? I have read every forum on here about Army-Baylor and know that they emphasize VA clinic hours, but is it a deal breaker if you don't have any? I have literally called every where near me and near my university, but no one is allowing shadowing due to HIPPA rule change supposedly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

VA hours are recommended, but not required. The faculty understand the accessibility limitations nationwide.

VA hours are recommended, but not required. The faculty understand the accessibility limitations nationwide.

Thankyou for the response tcpt, I will continue to try my best to get in somewhere! Not giving up :)

tcpt would you happen to know a percentage of applicants that make it their first time trying usually? I know many of those accepted are reapplicants, but is there an average for those who make it their first time?

Selection to Army-Baylor DPT includes, but goes beyond the standard academic statistics, which these appear to meet eligibility requirements. You are applying to become a military officer, a profession unto itself. Training to become a military physical therapist necessitates that applicants learn and understand what it takes to be a successful officer, as well as being a successful DPT student with the appropriate undergraduate prep. What is motivating you to become a military physical therapist?
I've felt a call to serve since I was born really. My dad's stories about his Vietnam War experiences, the fact that many of my good friends serve the country and also that my brother is deployed in South Korea right now as a communications supervisor has inspired me to serve the country. After many experiences at a Veteran's Home and now the VA, I've always had an extreme interest in working with veterans but I have a drive to serve soldiers and help them return to their duty. That and the fact that I want be a top physical therapist that can lead others in a military setting is a goal of mine. I enjoy the ability to mentor others and lead a health care team as a member in a health care team in the hospital and VA. My AmeriCorps experience also enhanced those feelings. Those are the main reasons for my desire to pursue a military physical therapist career.

tcpt would you happen to know a percentage of applicants that make it their first time trying usually? I know many of those accepted are reapplicants, but is there an average for those who make it their first time?

Good question! Some that are accepted are reapplicants, but the majority are first time applicants. The figures aren't too helpful for your purposes because they won't change anything you do. Just do your best on the application and prepare yourself for all possibilities.

I've felt a call to serve since I was born really. My dad's stories about his Vietnam War experiences, the fact that many of my good friends serve the country and also that my brother is deployed in South Korea right now as a communications supervisor has inspired me to serve the country. After many experiences at a Veteran's Home and now the VA, I've always had an extreme interest in working with veterans but I have a drive to serve soldiers and help them return to their duty. That and the fact that I want be a top physical therapist that can lead others in a military setting is a goal of mine. I enjoy the ability to mentor others and lead a health care team as a member in a health care team in the hospital and VA. My AmeriCorps experience also enhanced those feelings. Those are the main reasons for my desire to pursue a military physical therapist career.

Those are good reasons, keep thinking through those and further clarifying your motivation. It is good to have family experience with the military, most DPT students report that as a factor in leading them to become a military PT. Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm applying this cycle as well. Good luck to everyone! And thank you tcpt for being active in these forums, it's awesome having a faculty member here helping us applicants out.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m going to be a member of the class starting the didactic portion this January. If anyone here needs help, is confused on the process, or has specific questions, you can PM me. Good luck to everyone, and have patience. It’s a lengthy selection/on boarding process, but our class is all extremely excited to be getting started soon.

Hey y'all and thanks Robert for starting the thread,

I will also be applying this cycle. My stats are as follows:
GRE: Verbal-157 Quantitative-150 Writing-4.5
Undergrad GPA-3.8
Prereq GPA-3.9
I currently work as a Kinesiotherapist at the McGuire VA in Richmond and have accumulated around 3000 hours in settings ranging from general outpatient, orthopedics in and outpatient, inpatient poly trauma, acute care, and short term inpatient rehab. I'm curious how much they factor in work experience and for my sake hope it plays a big role. Also, how long are y'all making your essays? They have room for 3500 to 4000 words but that seems a bit excessive for anything barring a research paper and I was thinking more 1000 words. What's everyone's GRE scores looking like? I can't decide if it's worth it to retake to try and improve my Quantitative Score to meet the average acceptance of 157. Thanks anyone for their input!

Undergrad GPA-3.8
Prereq GPA-3.9
I currently work as a Kinesiotherapist at the McGuire VA in Richmond and have accumulated around 3000 hours in settings ranging from general outpatient, orthopedics in and outpatient, inpatient poly trauma, acute care, and short term inpatient rehab. I'm curious how much they factor in work experience and for my sake hope it plays a big role. Also, how long are y'all making your essays? They have room for 3500 to 4000 words but that seems a bit excessive for anything barring a research paper and I was thinking more 1000 words. What's everyone's GRE scores looking like? I can't decide if it's worth it to retake to try and improve my Quantitative Score to meet the average acceptance of 157. Thanks anyone for their input!

Just an fyi, it's a character limit of 3k, not a word limit!

If you decide to retake the GRE, I personally improved my quant score the most through Kaplans online prep course, but I've heard Magoosh is good too. Let me know if you have any questions about it!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just an fyi, it's a character limit of 3k, not a word limit!

If you decide to retake the GRE, I personally improved my quant score the most through Kaplans online prep course, but I've heard Magoosh is good too. Let me know if you have any questions about it!

After I finished typing that I thought "hmm is it words or characters". Thanks for clearing that up. I've got a few graduate friends who are going to lend me their books to study but appreciate the info on online sources, I might have to check them out. How much are they if you recall?

Undergrad GPA-3.8
Prereq GPA-3.9

Wow! you have alot of hours and experience! I am sure they take that into account and will definitely go in your favor. I am currently rushing to get some VA hours so hopefully I can grab some before applications are all in.

After I finished typing that I thought "hmm is it words or characters". Thanks for clearing that up. I've got a few graduate friends who are going to lend me their books to study but appreciate the info on online sources, I might have to check them out. How much are they if you recall?

The Kaplan one is about $600 and Magoosh is $150. I got the Kaplan course for free through a competition on campus which is the only reason I did it to be honest. Looking back though, it still would have been a worthy investment if I did have to buy it.

Thanks for starting this thread. This will be my second year applying after not being invited to the phone interview last cycle. Since applying last year, I graduated, improved my science GPA from 3.5 to 3.8 by taking extra classes, and did research (in the lab and field). I already had 3000 hours working as a PT aide plus 100 hours at the VA so I focused more on research.
I was wondering if I could use the same references and essays from last year since my application didn't go very far. I don’t know if they even looked beyond the numbers.

Also wondering if there is an advantage to taking the tour again. I went last year and it was amazing!

Thanks for starting this thread. This will be my second year applying after not being invited to the phone interview last cycle. Since applying last year, I graduated, improved my science GPA from 3.5 to 3.8 by taking extra classes, and did research (in the lab and field). I already had 3000 hours working as a PT aide plus 100 hours at the VA so I focused more on research.
I was wondering if I could use the same references and essays from last year since my application didn't go very far. I don’t know if they even looked beyond the numbers.

Good question. Reusing references for a reapplication. You could do it, but should you? In reapplicants, we are looking to see what the individual has done in the intervening year between applications. If you've worked hard and had some additional accomplishments then maybe someone you've worked with during the year could speak to your ongoing dedication as a reapplicant. Just a thought.

Also wondering if there is an advantage to taking the tour again. I went last year and it was amazing!

We appreciate that sentiment--what specifically did you take away from the tour that you haven't experienced at other program info sessions? Attending a tour doesn't confer any advantage (for taking it) nor disadvantage (for not taking it). It merely informs the applicant about military service, recruiting processes, military DPT education, and the unique nature of Army-Baylor DPT. Taking it more than once is fine, but probably unnecessary cost for you unless you live nearby in San Antonio/Austin/ Houston areas.

@tcpt

Do you know if there is an absolute last day to input observation hours that will be considered when the board looks at our applications? Is it the October 1st deadline, or are hours inputted afterwards still considered?

@tcpt

Do you know if there is an absolute last day to input observation hours that will be considered when the board looks at our applications? Is it the October 1st deadline, or are hours inputted afterwards still considered?

When you submit your application, it goes through the verification process then is sent to the program. Upon the admissions committee review which occurs after the receipt of the verified application, the committee will check to see if the applicant has completed 100 hours of observation experience or not. I do believe that applicants can communicate planned observation hours (and we can see that) that aren't completed by the time of application submission. You should check with PTCAS regarding this.

Updating Observation Hours After Submission
You may add new experiences at any time during the application cycle. If you have completed additional hours at a facility where you have already listed the experience, please create a new entry and list only the new hours completed.

After you e-submit your PTCAS application, you can do the following:

• Add new PT observations to the application
  • Request a PT to verify a new observation
from
ptcas.org

Updating Observation Hours After Submission
You may add new experiences at any time during the application cycle. If you have completed additional hours at a facility where you have already listed the experience, please create a new entry and list only the new hours completed.

After you e-submit your PTCAS application, you can do the following:

• Add new PT observations to the application
  • Request a PT to verify a new observation

Thank you. I saw that you could update the hours after submission, just wanted to double check since I wasn't a 100% on what the application meant by " application cycle". I am assuming it means by the end the deadline of your particular school, since there are other programs that have their deadline later, but each program will just consider up until what is inputted by their deadline date? I don't know if what I said made sense, but basically, just submit all hours by October 1st?

Thank you. I saw that you could update the hours after submission, just wanted to double check since I wasn't a 100% on what the application meant by " application cycle". I am assuming it means by the end the deadline of your particular school, since there are other programs that have their deadline later, but each program will just consider up until what is inputted by their deadline date? I don't know if what I said made sense, but basically, just submit all hours by October 1st?

I emailed the Outreach Coordinator something similar about when you can update observation hours, here is the reply she gave me: "We do monitor applications up until the application deadline but if it is something like a score change or grade replacement and you already had something in the system that was eligible, we ask that you contact us so we can go back to verify the changes."

I'm in your same position of trying to get some VA hours now. Actually just found a place that I'll be going to Friday. Gonna be a 7 hour round-trip but it's worth being able to check that box, haha. Not sure where you're located, but it seems the VA facilities that aren't near a big university are more accepting of observers.

I emailed the Outreach Coordinator something similar about when you can update observation hours, here is the reply she gave me: "We do monitor applications up until the application deadline but if it is something like a score change or grade replacement and you already had something in the system that was eligible, we ask that you contact us so we can go back to verify the changes."

I'm in your same position of trying to get some VA hours now. Actually just found a place that I'll be going to Friday. Gonna be a 7 hour round-trip but it's worth being able to check that box, haha. Not sure where you're located, but it seems the VA facilities that aren't near a big university are more accepting of observers.

Gotcha, so it is probably everything until the application deadline!

Dang!!! that dedication will definitely make you stand out though. Yeah alot of hospitals near schools seem to not allow shadowing, probably du to them getting alot of request for it. I will find a way as well!

We appreciate that sentiment--what specifically did you take away from the tour that you haven't experienced at other program info sessions? Attending a tour doesn't confer any advantage (for taking it) nor disadvantage (for not taking it). It merely informs the applicant about military service, recruiting processes, military DPT education, and the unique nature of Army-Baylor DPT. Taking it more than once is fine, but probably unnecessary cost for you unless you live nearby in San Antonio/Austin/ Houston areas.

It probably has something to do with the AMAZING tour guides from last year, Sir! They were very informative and super humble. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, just had another question regarding the process. If anyone knows, does a recovered surgically repaired ACL disqualify you for eligibility into Army Baylor?

Hi, just had another question regarding the process. If anyone knows, does a recovered surgically repaired ACL disqualify you for eligibility into Army Baylor?

From what I understand, being medically cleared for Army Baylor is no different than being cleared for entering the military through any other way. Which means talking to a local recruiter would be the best way to determine if it requires a waiver or if it outright prohibits you from joining.

Good question--glad you asked. Remember that the Army-Baylor DPT program is an educational program residing within the Army that resides within the Dept of Defense. There is a 2 phase admissions process, the first is academic--run by the admissions committee. This is done using the PTCAS information plus interview. The second phase is military recruiting, akin to a hiring action by a company, a Human Resources process if you will---and it is run by Army (or Navy or Air Force) recruiting. That phase involves drug testing, medical screening, prior employment verification, background checks, citizenship verification etc. ---all very similar things you might be required to do if getting hired at a company (but not necessarily things that are necessary for graduate education). The company in this instance happens to be a military service branch and the major employer is the Dept of Defense--who sets the entry standards (including medical fitness standards) for the service branches. Those standards are applied equally to all potential employees of the organization (people entering the military) regardless of where they are going within it (like to Army-Baylor DPT).

So, on your ACL question, I can't answer it because it is a criterion that is not applied at the program level (despite the fact that we are PTs). The decision rests upon a physical examination required for entry onto active duty and adjudicated by a qualified person with the authority to make the decision. Now, have we had students with previous ACLRs? Yes, several. Does my answer give you carte blanche approval because of that fact? No, it doesn't. The only way to know is with an approved physical exam of the knee.

Good question--glad you asked. Remember that the Army-Baylor DPT program is an educational program residing within the Army that resides within the Dept of Defense. There is a 2 phase admissions process, the first is academic--run by the admissions committee. This is done using the PTCAS information plus interview. The second phase is military recruiting, akin to a hiring action by a company, a Human Resources process if you will---and it is run by Army (or Navy or Air Force) recruiting. That phase involves drug testing, medical screening, prior employment verification, background checks, citizenship verification etc. ---all very similar things you might be required to do if getting hired at a company (but not necessarily things that are necessary for graduate education). The company in this instance happens to be a military service branch and the major employer is the Dept of Defense--who sets the entry standards (including medical fitness standards) for the service branches. Those standards are applied equally to all potential employees of the organization (people entering the military) regardless of where they are going within it (like to Army-Baylor DPT).

So, on your ACL question, I can't answer it because it is a criterion that is not applied at the program level (despite the fact that we are PTs). The decision rests upon a physical examination required for entry onto active duty and adjudicated by a qualified person with the authority to make the decision. Now, have we had students with previous ACLRs? Yes, several. Does my answer give you carte blanche approval because of that fact? No, it doesn't. The only way to know is with an approved physical exam of the knee.

The Army Regulation covering this is AR 40-501, Standards of Medical Fitness.
Enjoy!

Thankyou for the response tcpt, I will continue to try my best to get in somewhere! Not giving up :)
Hello everyone! I am also an applicant this year. @DPT-Longhorn 2018, what helped obtain observational hours at the VA was that I was a registered volunteer at the VA. I wasn't able to get assigned to the Physical Therapy Dept right away. I was visiting w/patients and baking cookies for them for a few months. After multiple visits to the PM&R dept, I was able to talk to the PT in charge of student clinical rotations and it made it easier for her to clear me for observational hours since I was already a registered volunteer and had been through volunteer orientation and background check. Originally, I tried going to the education office and asked for observational hours, but they told me I still had to get "permission" from the PM&R Dept. So while I tried to get ahold of the right person, I just went ahead and signed up as a volunteer. In the end, it turned out to be rewarding!

Hello everyone! I am also an applicant this year. @DPT-Longhorn 2018, what helped obtain observational hours at the VA was that I was a registered volunteer at the VA. I wasn't able to get assigned to the Physical Therapy Dept right away. I was visiting w/patients and baking cookies for them for a few months. After multiple visits to the PM&R dept, I was able to talk to the PT in charge of student clinical rotations and it made it easier for her to clear me for observational hours since I was already a registered volunteer and had been through volunteer orientation and background check. Originally, I tried going to the education office and asked for observational hours, but they told me I still had to get "permission" from the PM&R Dept. So while I tried to get ahold of the right person, I just went ahead and signed up as a volunteer. In the end, it turned out to be rewarding!

Yeah I actually just did the same thing! Everything is falling into place.

Goodluck to you and everyone else though, I am sure it will be a competitive selection as always.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Well y'all it looks like they're contacting applicants to set up interviews. Has anybody been contacted yet and does anyone know how many people make the interview cut? Good luck to everyone!

Well y'all it looks like they're contacting applicants to set up interviews. Has anybody been contacted yet and does anyone know how many people make the interview cut? Good luck to everyone!
Who told you this information? I thought they weren't going to start interview process until after October 1st.

Who told you this information? I thought they weren't going to start interview process until after October 1st.
Their Twitter account. Again, this is just invitations for interviews.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180907-223238_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20180907-223238_Twitter.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 88
Got an interview invitation! I submitted and was verified through PTCAS around mid-August, which I assume is why I got the invitation so early. No word on the number of people receiving an interview, just was told that I'd be contacted to schedule the interview soon.

Good luck everyone!

Got an interview invitation! I submitted and was verified through PTCAS around mid-August, which I assume is why I got the invitation so early. No word on the number of people receiving an interview, just was told that I'd be contacted to schedule the interview soon.

Good luck everyone!
I see! Thank you for the Tweet, I am not freaking out as much now!

Congratulations! That's a huge first step! How did they contact you so I know what to look for? Also do you mind sharing your stats so some of the rest of us can see how we stack up?

Congratulations! That's a huge first step! How did they contact you so I know what to look for? Also do you mind sharing your stats so some of the rest of us can see how we stack up?
Thank you! I was contacted via email. If y'all want to talk specifics you can DM me! Would love to talk to everyone about where we all stand :)

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many applicants there are each year? I am just curious!
This year, the admissions committee is anticipating receipt of approximately 450-475 verified applications by the OCT deadline.

This year, the admissions committee is anticipating receipt of approximately 450-475 verified applications by the OCT deadline.

Tcpt,
Do we have any idea how many of those meet the requirements for acceptance and how many will make it to the interview?

Thank you for the response tcpt!
Do you know whether the committee would take into account hours that are completed after the October 1st deadline? I am curious because I plan to still be volunteering at a hospital but don't know if I should record my hours to PTCAS after the deadline.

Tcpt,
Do we have any idea how many of those meet the requirements for acceptance and how many will make it to the interview?

Yes, over half meet eligibility requirements. The number of interviews that are conducted are determined by the committee once they have reviewed the cohort.

Thank you for the response tcpt!
Do you know whether the committee would take into account hours that are completed after the October 1st deadline? I am curious because I plan to still be volunteering at a hospital but don't know if I should record my hours to PTCAS after the deadline.

We would see those as planned hours on the application. You are fine to show them with that designation, many applicants already do that, it merely shows up as hours that an applicant will continue to accrue at some point in the future.

Hello everyone, I'm also an applicant for this cycle and a Navy hopeful! I have submitted my application and had an interview last week. I wanted to jump on here to follow this thread and wish everyone the best of luck! Looking forward to hearing back and hopefully taking the next steps to join soon.

I didn’t know interviews were starting as early as September. Are interview invitations still being sent out, or have they all been sent at this point?

I didn’t know interviews were starting as early as September. Are interview invitations still being sent out, or have they all been sent at this point?

Interview invites are continuing through October