Army Baylor DPT Application (Applying 2018 for 2020 start)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m grateful for this thread. I had no idea they began interviewing so early. Does applying later affect odds of being offered an interview? I had two references that waited until the very last minute to complete their letter’s of recommendation (I set early deadlines and they kept asking for more time. I pushed it back 3x.) They shared glowing recommendations but I feared/fear the impact that delayed timeline could have had on getting into the program. I’m still praying that I hear something soon.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m grateful for this thread. I had no idea they began interviewing so early. Does applying later affect odds of being offered an interview? I had two references that waited until the very last minute to complete their letter’s of recommendation (I set early deadlines and they kept asking for more time. I pushed it back 3x.) They shared glowing recommendations but I feared/fear the impact that delayed timeline could have had on getting into the program. I’m still praying that I hear something soon.

Hi--no, applying later in the admit cycle has no effect upon interview. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also planning to apply this cycle. My question for anyone, is how important do they consider VA hours? I have read every forum on here about Army-Baylor and know that they emphasize VA clinic hours, but is it a deal breaker if you don't have any? I have literally called every where near me and near my university, but no one is allowing shadowing due to HIPPA rule change supposedly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I hope this helps- I was told something similar when I tried to deliver a resume and ask for shadowing hours in person. I was turned away, so I went through the Red Cross to apply to become a certified volunteer for military hospitals. It was a very lengthy process (took about three-four months to get to the interview) and included everything from background screenings to vaccine boosters and not only online HIPPA and hospital courses but also Red Cross orientation, hospital orientation, and on boarding. Once the outpatient PT office had an opening they had me come in for an interview to talk about my goals, strengths, weaknesses, and schedule. I even got my own badge for the PT clinic which was really cool! (Being certified later gave me the ability to shadow at a basic training clinic while on vacation in another state simply by making a phone call to their Red Cross office about a month in advance. I didn’t think they’d say yes but I was so thrilled when they did! All I had to do was email them my HIPPA and Red Cross forms.) If you call a hospital directly I would ask for the education office or the Red Cross office. Those have both been my lifelines for staying informed of what opportunities are available and getting my foot in the door. Good luck!

I tried to post the Red Cross application but i cant post links- It should be under volunteer connection.

Reactions: 1 users
@tcpt

Question: If we have been through the interview, do we just wait for the recruiter to contact us? I was wondering if there is a timeline for when we should expect the recruiter to contact us, and if all of the applicants who were interview get contacted.

Thanks!

@tcpt

Question: If we have been through the interview, do we just wait for the recruiter to contact us? I was wondering if there is a timeline for when we should expect the recruiter to contact us, and if all of the applicants who were interview get contacted.

Thanks!
Hi, good question.

If you have been interviewed, then you should wait to be contacted by a recruiter or by the program for a decision. The program tracks and ensures that all applicants are contacted within a reasonable timeframe once each verified application is received.

Selected applicants to Army-Baylor University DPT Program do not pay a deposit, do not pay tuition and receive a salary while completing the 30 month program. Each is a commissioned officer in the Army, Navy or Air Force and serves a 54 month active duty service obligation upon graduating. Please see www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt for further info or twitter @USArmyBaylorDPT.

Hi, good question.

If you have been interviewed, then you should wait to be contacted by a recruiter or by the program for a decision. The program tracks and ensures that all applicants are contacted within a reasonable timeframe once each verified application is received.

Selected applicants to Army-Baylor University DPT Program do not pay a deposit, do not pay tuition and receive a salary while completing the 30 month program. Each is a commissioned officer in the Army, Navy or Air Force and serves a 54 month active duty service obligation upon graduating. Please see for further info or twitter @USArmyBaylorDPT.

If we don’t receive an interview invitation by November 1st is it safe to assume we have not been selected? I have another college with a pending acceptance that I would have to deny soon in order to continue the admissions process. (Their program starts in January)

If we don’t receive an interview invitation by November 1st is it safe to assume we have not been selected? I have another college with a pending acceptance that I would have to deny soon in order to continue the admissions process. (Their program starts in January)

Hi, totally understand. The admissions committee is processing all applications rapidly and have been interviewing for approximately 4 wks. They will continue to do so until they are complete and are committed to getting notifications out as soon as they can. Congratulations on the acceptance.

Any other re-applicants on here still waiting for an interview?
I know we’re still in October but it’s only natural to be nervous after not being invited to interview last year

I'm not a re-applicant, but I haven't been contacted yet either and I'm pretty nervous. I know they will get to us but man the hardest part is definitely waiting! When did you apply? I'm curious if they're going through them from date of application.

I'm not a re-applicant, but I haven't been contacted yet either and I'm pretty nervous. I know they will get to us but man the hardest part is definitely waiting! When did you apply? I'm curious if they're going through them from date of application.
Last year I applied in August and didn’t receive an email until November 7. This year I applied in September. Waiting definitely feels like the hardest part right now.

Last year I applied in August and didn’t receive an email until November 7. This year I applied in September. Waiting definitely feels like the hardest part right now.
What did you do to strengthen your application? (If you don’t mind sharing.) It’s too late to bring up my undergrad GPA because I already graduated... I’ve got around a 3.45 (Long story but I had a medical issue in the middle of a college merger where they were changing my diploma requirements and got thrown on a deployment roster / dropped from my commissioning class - I had to jump and cram all of my courses in one semester to graduate which trashed my GPA) ... I’m tempted to turn down all acceptances and reapply once I can retake a few pre-req’s for a pre-req 4.0. I did ROTC and have 100+ hours and trying to direct commission medical reserves as healthcare admin... but part of me wonders if that will be enough. I’ll obviously retake the GRE too. I’ve definitely realized during the application process I’m “baylor or bust”... (no pun intended lol- just heavily related to your forum name!) ... I’ve read it’s really difficult to direct commission PT which had made me extremely hesitant to accept a civilian slot.

Last edited:
What did you do to strengthen your application? (If you don’t mind sharing.) It’s too late to bring up my undergrad GPA because I already graduated... I’ve got around a 3.45 (Long story but I had a medical issue in the middle of a college merger where they were changing my diploma requirements and got thrown on a deployment roster / dropped from my commissioning class - I had to jump and cram all of my courses in one semester to graduate which trashed my GPA) ... I’m tempted to turn down all acceptances and reapply once I can retake a few pre-req’s for a pre-req 4.0. I did ROTC and have 100+ hours and trying to direct commission medical reserves as healthcare admin... but part of me wonders if that will be enough. I’ll obviously retake the GRE too. I’ve definitely realized during the application process I’m “baylor or bust”... (no pun intended lol- just heavily related to your forum name!) ... I’ve read it’s really difficult to direct commission PT which had made me extremely hesitant to accept a civilian slot.
I took extra classes to improve my pre-req GPA from 3.5 to 3.8, I did research in Costa Rica, and I shadowed an Army-Baylor graduate on an active duty naval base. That’s all on top of my 3000 hours of outpatient (some of which were done at a VA hospital). I also graduated (Magna Cum Laude) which I think will be helpful since I was still in school last year when I applied.
I totally get your Baylor or bust mentality. I’ve never applied to a civilian PT program and I have no intentions of doing so in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys I'm just reading these forums now. They are super helpful. Has anyone else heard back for interviews? I applied super late because of my letters of recommendation as well and I haven't heard back and I'm very nervous. I'm in Army ROTC and my GPA is a lot lower than I would have liked because of a lot of family issues I had in my first three years at my undergrad school. I'm starting to think the later it gets with no word, the less likely chance it is to get in

hey guys I'm just reading these forums now. They are super helpful. Has anyone else heard back for interviews? I applied super late because of my letters of recommendation as well and I haven't heard back and I'm very nervous. I'm in Army ROTC and my GPA is a lot lower than I would have liked because of a lot of family issues I had in my first three years at my undergrad school. I'm starting to think the later it gets with no word, the less likely chance it is to get in

I don't think a later application date or interview date for that matter impacts selection. TCPT has stated as much earlier in this thread. I feel your pain though, it definitely adds a little more stress to the process. To be on the positive side, those of us who interview later will be fresher on the board members mind's come selection time. Good l

Does having a Master's degree help with chances of getting accepted? I didn't have the best undergraduate GPA, but I completed my Master's with a 3.9 GPA.

I just found this thread and figured I’d hop on and share that I received an email to set up an interview last night. My application was in and verified by around September 20th if that helps anybody out.

Does having a Master's degree help with chances of getting accepted? I didn't have the best undergraduate GPA, but I completed my Master's with a 3.9 GPA.

Hi, good question. The pre admission requirements on GPA or GRE must meet or exceed minimum eligibility standards. The admissions standards are shown on the website here: Program Admission Requirements | Army-Baylor DPT | Baylor University

Additional degrees can help, but performance there cannot replace performance on a required standard (ie cum GPA). Good luck.

Hey, all! If it's any help, I submitted my app in July and was just informed that I've been offered an interview on October 25. Best of luck to everyone!

Hi everyone, I just found this forum and figured I'd weigh in.
3.47 pre-req GPA, 3.3 cumulative.
GRE: Verbal: 158; Quantitative: 158; Writing 4.5.
I have 231 observation hours, 35 of which were in a military hospital and most of the rest were in free-standing PT clinics. I'm active duty enlisted Air Force, and I'm hoping my experiences make up for my pre-military GPA (I brought it up from a 2.9). Are there any AF and/or enlisted applicants on here?

I'm still hoping to get an interview notification, but my last recommendation letter wasn't submitted until September 25th. This is my first application and its Army-Baylor or bust for me as well. Best of luck to my fellow applicants!

Hi, totally understand. The admissions committee is processing all applications rapidly and have been interviewing for approximately 4 wks. They will continue to do so until they are complete and are committed to getting notifications out as soon as they can. Congratulations on the acceptance.
Will they be finished doing interviews/sending out interview notifications in November? I heard they were sending out the inital responses by mid-Nov so I assume they will be done interviewing this month and if we haven't heard then we should assume we did not move forward?

Will they be finished doing interviews/sending out interview notifications in November? I heard they were sending out the inital responses by mid-Nov so I assume they will be done interviewing this month and if we haven't heard then we should assume we did not move forward?
It is my understanding that you will receive an email either way. Last year I got an email on November 7 saying I wasn't selected for a phone interview.

It is my understanding that you will receive an email either way. Last year I got an email on November 7 saying I wasn't selected for a phone interview.
Hi I had an interview in late september. It was a very exciting/unnerving experience. I’ve waited a month now for a reply but more interviews are still being carried out and will continue to do so until October ends. The Army Baylor DPT process takes time so just be patient with it. The wait seems like an eternity. Im currently preparing for next year and doing volunteering in the mean time in the case that the process does not work for me. Although theres always areas to improve as a person and so keep treating the next day a day to get better. Hope the best for you and the rest of the group. You all are great applicants so stay positive but stay focused on opportunities to give back and improve yourself. You never know what will happen. Feel free to respond to me directly or on thsi thread!

Does anyone know if the physical test will be the new standards listed on the website or the old one with the 2 mile run?

Looks like they've added some more detail to the application timeline on their website:
  • PTCAS Opens: 06 JUN 18
  • PTCAS Deadline: Early OCT 18
  • Interviews: Early OCT - 15: NOV 2018
  • Recruiting Part I: 16 NOV 18 - 01: DEC 18 Military Recruiter's contact applicants to begin military processing
  • Program Offers: Offers will be extended by the applicant's recruiter in early March
  • Recruiting Part II: MAR 19 - AUG 19: Applicants continue to work with recruiting to meet military entrance requirements
  • Class Report Date: AUG 19
  • Officer Training: SEP 19 - DEC 19
  • Class Starts Date: JAN 2020

Good luck to everyone; hope we hear back soon!

Check your emails! I was just notified about the next phase :)

I was just notified about the second phase too:)

So I’m guessing that means the rest of us who didn’t get interviews are not making it this year. I can’t imagine they’d wait this long to send an invitation for a phone interview.

So I’m guessing that means the rest of us who didn’t get interviews are not making it this year. I can’t imagine they’d wait this long to send an invitation for a phone interview.
I got my rejection email this morning around 9/10am. Now comes the struggle of deciding whether to reapply next year or take a civilian dpt slot. I heard it’s essentially impossible to become an AD PT without going through Baylor or a ROTC Ed delay so I’m pretty hesitant to start in a civilian slot.

I received mines as well. Good luck to all you guys moving on to the next phase!

Man that rejection letter really drops you down a few pegs! Good luck to everyone who made it to the next phase. Time to start strengthening my application for next year.

I got my rejection email this morning around 9/10am. Now comes the struggle of deciding whether to reapply next year or take a civilian dpt slot. I heard it’s essentially impossible to become an AD PT without going through Baylor or a ROTC Ed delay so I’m pretty hesitant to start in a civilian slot.

I'm glad you brought this up! This is my third year applying to Baylor. I used to be in the "Baylor or bust" mentality as well, but during my interview this year it was mentioned that there is going to be an increase in Physical therapists in the military! Baylor will remain the same, maybe increase the class size by a seat or two, but there will be a possibility for you to direct commission as military physical therapist after you graduate from a civilian school and get your license!! He even mentioned that there will be more slots for direct commissions than there are direct Baylor graduates! Granted you will still need to compete against other DPTs that want to direct commission as well, but Baylor is not the only option.

I commissioned through ROTC and my interviewer could tell that becoming a military physical therapist was important to me. He let me know that Baylor wasn't my only option and that if I want to be military physical therapist; I can still make that happen if I don't get accepted to Baylor this year (I also applied to two other schools this time around).

So, don't give up! Baylor is an amazing program. Side note: I just found out that one of the DPTs I shadowed is now part of the staff! And I will say he is a big reason why I've fought so hard to get into Baylor for this long. But at the end of the day, if your dream is to become a Physical Therapist, then become a physical therapist. Baylor is not the only way. If you're worried about paying for school loans, and serving the military community is big for you, consider working as a PT at a VA Hospital. I volunteered this year and there are PTs that were able to get their student debt paid for by committing to working a certain amount of years for the VA hospital.

I received my rejection email this morning. Two years in a row, but it hurts a little less the second time. PM if you want my stats.

Got moved on to phase 2! If anyone wants to talk about phase 2 stuff together or is interested in my stats feel free to PM me :)

@tcpt

Would you know how many applicants were moved onto phase 2? The local recruiter made it sound like I had been accepted as long as I pass the military requirements, but I knew that was not the case. So just trying to gage what my chances are with everyone that is left in the process. Thankyou!

@tcpt

Would you know how many applicants were moved onto phase 2? The local recruiter made it sound like I had been accepted as long as I pass the military requirements, but I knew that was not the case. So just trying to gage what my chances are with everyone that is left in the process. Thankyou!

Hi; please follow all instructions received from Mr. Stephens on what it is you need to get done. He has given you all that you need as well as a route to ask questions.

Has anyone gotten an interview and is still waiting to hear back to do Recruiting Part 1 (shown below)?

Recruiting Part I: 16 NOV 18 - 01: DEC 18 Military Recruiter's contact applicants to begin military processing

The last day is 12/1/18. So I am wondering what would it mean if I don't hear back from a recruiter past 12/1.

Thanks!

Has anyone gotten an interview and is still waiting to hear back to do Recruiting Part 1 (shown below)?

Recruiting Part I: 16 NOV 18 - 01: DEC 18 Military Recruiter's contact applicants to begin military processing

The last day is 12/1/18. So I am wondering what would it mean if I don't hear back from a recruiter past 12/1.

Thanks!
Call Mr. Stephens

Anyone know if/when we'll need to send updated transcripts? I know the PTCAS academic update window is open now.

Submitted my packet and everything's out of my hands now. Anyone else super anxious for March to come?!

My recruiter did. And yes, I ended up emailing the program and they said to get the transcript update done ASAP, because PTCAS needs to verify the updated grades.

Thanks! No, I wish I did! It'd be nice to have an idea of what our chances are at this point.

Thanks! No, I wish I did! It'd be nice to have an idea of what our chances are at this point.

Yeah I am definitely anxious since this will literally change the course of my life in one direction or another lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody else have to deny a program yet? I applied to UCF & Army Baylor, got accepted to UCF, but was given a deadline of February 15th to make my final decision. Decided to withdraw my application from UCF in hopes of Army Baylor working out. Gotta go for gold, haha.

Had some people tell me that I should accept UCF and just withdraw my application later if I got in to Army Baylor, but I decided against it in the case that I decided I'd rather reapply to Army Baylor next cycle. That way next year I'd still be on good terms with UCF if this situation were to happen again.