Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

Started by EMH
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,
I've been reading your forum a lot. A NG recruiter came to my med school orientation last week and as I had strongly considered HPSP at one point, I went to speak with him.

Lo and behold everything sounded AMAZING compared to HPSP. Especially the fact that I had so much control over my career path/not being deployed while in med school/residency.

Anyway, my questions is mainly directed at those that are currently involved in the program.

1. What is the basic training in Texas like? (When looking at the Air Force, they explained that it was 95% class time learning ranks, military etiquette, etc) Is it pretty much like this?

2. My recruiter has told me that once I graduate from Med school and have an M.D. that the majority of my weekend drills and 2 week stints will be spent giving physicals to NG members, however, what does a drilling weekend look like for a regular med student?

3. Should the ASR program be cancelled for example, next year, would my contract still be valid for the length of the 3 years or would I be stuck with only 1 year's salary and an 8 year MSO?

I think that's all I can think of right now. It's been a long day and I've been working on some of the NG paperwork.

Thanks so much for your time and response. I really appreciate it.
 
1) Haven't been to basic training so i have limited knowledge. yes, it is going to be pretty similar to AF, though i doubt it is going to be 95% learning ranks and etiquette - i'd expect a fair amount of other stuff such as land navigation, rifle training, chemical/bio weapons. others would know better though and may be able to share. you can find info at http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/1RCOBLC.htm

2) This will largely depend on your unit. If you are a med student in a medical detachment, you will also do physicals - likely shadowing a physician or PA. I'm a M1 and shadowed a M3, who was able to do physicals and have it signed off by a provider. However, if you are in an infantry or non-medical unit, you may have less options/flexibility as they may not know what to do with you and make you do what they do.

3) in the contract if ASR is cancelled and you are in it, you can get out of your obligation, as NDY posted earlier in the thread.
 
I just wanted to clear up some things. Do I have the following correct?

Federal Tuition is assistance is available to ASR, but if you have less than four years of obligation left (eg third year of ASR and beyond) it extends your obligation to four years out.

ASR does not allow us to sign up for the active duty GI Bill, but we can still claim the reserve GI Bill?

We do not get active duty pay and moving expenses to do rotations at military hospitals.

Correct?
for FT, officers must serve 4 years after course completion, so you are correct.

we are eligible for the reserve GI bill after OBLC, but from my understanding, it may add 6 years to our original service obligation. see here: http://www.military.com/money-for-school/guard/gi-bill/national-guard-gi-bill-users-guide

we would get active duty pay for rotations at military hospitals. i was exploring this option, but am not sure if it's worth the time checking it out as i believe it's fairly difficult to get these. anyone else have any experience with this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone checked with their recruiter on the whole state deployment thing? I saw some speculation, but I wasn't able to find any concrete answer. Do we have to worry about our state pulling us out of school for an emergency or such?
 
Has anyone checked with their recruiter on the whole state deployment thing? I saw some speculation, but I wasn't able to find any concrete answer. Do we have to worry about our state pulling us out of school for an emergency or such?

This is going to be a state by state thing by nature. The docs in my state haven't been mobilized for a state emergency that they didn't volunteer for. A couple were mobilized for Katrina which was a federal mobilization but they were also volunteers. I'd suggest asking some of the docs in your state's guard about it.

However, until you graduate and finish your intern year you're not licensed to practice medice. There's not much reason for them to activate you.
 
we would get active duty pay for rotations at military hospitals. i was exploring this option, but am not sure if it's worth the time checking it out as i believe it's fairly difficult to get these. anyone else have any experience with this?

If you are on ASR I don't see why the pay is relevant, you are already paid as active duty. I think it would be a great opportunity to do rotations at a military hospital. I don't know how difficult they are to obtain, but I know it is possible. A friend of mine did a few rotations at Madigan as a civilian and he was not from the local state med school either. It is worth looking into.
 
Some people would be off ASR by M4 since ASR is limited to 3 years, so the pay might matter for them. But good catch on the fact that for most people they can't get double pay.

Good to hear military rotations are possible - any idea how his experience was?
 
Good to hear military rotations are possible - any idea how his experience was?
Rotations at military sites are prioritized and on a space available basis. We are the lowest priority, the same as civilians. So I would expect that what I would think would be coveted slots (anything at Tripler, for example) would be hard to come by.
 
I thought I saw it here, but I can't find it (maybe it's my imagination):

Is there somewhere I can find a copy of the contract for ASR folks?
Here is the most recent ASR memo related to terms and responsibilities.

The actual contract you won't see until they give it to you to sign. I don't think there's a soft copy floating around and it has almost no info. You sign up and agree to the ASR program. The PDF linked in the post above is the most detailed official description you'll find.
 
Hi guys, I have 2 questions for you:

1) For those of you who don't yet meet the physical requirements, when is a good time to get the ASR paperwork in? I would have submitted mine months ago, as I am sure I want to enter this program - but I still have weight to lose to qualify. I know the new ASR spots open up in October, so I am hoping to lose the weight and apply by January. But I was wondering if it would still be helpful for me to talk to a recruiter and at least start filling out some of the paperwork now.

2) Do the funding for ASR or ARNG come through the medical school? The reason I am asking this is because I am a WICHE scholarship recipient (which pays 40% of my private DO school tuition, making tuition only slightly greater than my in-state public MD school). WICHE says that we cannot take any military scholarships that pay full tuition... thus I wouldn't qualify for HPSP. However, with ASR, it says on this forum that this is NOT a scholarship, and the money is like a job. Plus the tuition benefits are only a few thousand. So I don't see any conflict. I just want to make sure that the money is paid to us directly and not through the school so it does not affect my 'Cost of Attendance' financial aid.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
1) For those of you who don't yet meet the physical requirements, when is a good time to get the ASR paperwork in?
That's a tough one. You could start filling out the paperwork now, but you will need to go to MEPS and pass the physical before you can get your control number and a spot in the queue. So I suppose you might start filling out your paperwork a couple of months before you are SURE to have your weight down enough to pass MEPS.

You don't want to have to tell your recruiter that you REALLY want the scholarship, and thanks for all the processing, but you need a couple of months to drop 30 pounds. Bad start.

If you are expecting to need waivers for a legal history or physical problems (no waivers for weight), you should apply sooner than that, as the waivers will add on at least an extra few weeks.
2) Do the funding for ASR or ARNG come through the medical school? ... I just want to make sure that the money is paid to us directly and not through the school so it does not affect my 'Cost of Attendance' financial aid.
ASR payments are payroll, paid directly to you. You obviously have to declare the income, which may affect your financial aid, but ASR money is not tuition payments, it's a paycheck.
 
Here is the most recent ASR memo related to terms and responsibilities.

The actual contract you won't see until they give it to you to sign. I don't think there's a soft copy floating around and it has almost no info. You sign up and agree to the ASR program. The PDF linked in the post above is the most detailed official description you'll find.

So just to understand where the legal basis for the different aspects of the program come from:

When you join ASR, swearing in and signing the paperwork does two things:
a) accepts a commission in the NG, incurring a 6 year drilling obligation and 8 year total MSO
b) enters you into the ASR program in accordance with the document you linked

The ASR program:
a) Gives you active duty (ADSW) status as a student recruiter for up to three years
b) Stipulates that if the program is canceled, you are released from the rest of your obligation

Then current NG/AMEDD policy (which can be changed, theoretically):
a) Allows for flex-training (once every three months)
b) Provides protection from deployment as a medical student and intern (and to a lesser extent as a resident)
c) Stipulates the 90 days every 2 years deployment policy



I think that covers the major parts of the program. Is this right?



Also, I'm under the impression that because a) our obligation after ASR is simply being a guard member and b) medical students are protected from deployment then if we can find a way to remain an enrolled medical student, we can take an extra year or two in medical school to pursue a graduate degree or research. Can anyone comment?
 
When you join ASR, swearing in and signing the paperwork does two things:
a) accepts a commission in the NG, incurring a 6 year drilling obligation and 8 year total MSO
b) enters you into the ASR program in accordance with the document you linked
Yes to a). You are a commissioned officer in the Guard. As for b), unless things are changed, you are not in the ASR program until you receive orders indicating such. Once you are commissioned, your recruiter will apply to supply you with a control number. Once you have one, you are essentially in the queue for one of the ASR slots. When your slot comes up, you are ordered to ASR.
The ASR program:
a) Gives you active duty (ADSW) status as a student recruiter for up to three years
b) Stipulates that if the program is canceled, you are released from the rest of your obligation
Correct.
Then current NG/AMEDD policy (which can be changed, theoretically):
a) Allows for flex-training (once every three months)
Technically, flexi-training is at the discretion of your CO. Ask to speak with your CO before applying. If you get one that does not allow for flexi-training (a CO I haven't met yet), life would be uncomfortable.
b) Provides protection from deployment as a medical student and intern (and to a lesser extent as a resident)
c) Stipulates the 90 days every 2 years deployment policy
Correct, though for c) it comes to a total of 120 days. 90 days is boots-in-sand, plus up to 30 days pre-/post-deployment activity.
Also, I'm under the impression that because a) our obligation after ASR is simply being a guard member and b) medical students are protected from deployment then if we can find a way to remain an enrolled medical student, we can take an extra year or two in medical school to pursue a graduate degree or research. Can anyone comment?
No clue about this. There is no written policy on this that I've seen, so if that's your plan, get it in writing before joining.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Correct, though for c) it comes to a total of 120 days. 90 days is boots-in-sand, plus up to 30 days pre-/post-deployment activity.

I thought it was in the contract that you can't be deployed as a medical student or an intern, and the policy part that could be changed is deployment during the rest of residency?

Also, anyone know where I can get a pre-shaped beret? I tried rangerjoes and they don't have them. Where are you guys getting your uniforms from?
 
I thought it was in the contract that you can't be deployed as a medical student or an intern, and the policy part that could be changed is deployment during the rest of residency?
Correct. Sorry, I may lack subtlety. If I implied something different in my post, my bad. What you say here is right.
Also, anyone know where I can get a pre-shaped beret? I tried rangerjoes and they don't have them. Where are you guys getting your uniforms from?
I'm dubious of the term "pre-shaped" beret. From what I've seen, you basically get pre-shaved or not pre-shaved. Everyone's noggin is different, so when you get your beret, you'll still want to do the wet->wear-> freeze thing.

Try this at ACU Army. I've been very impressed with their service.
 
No clue about this. There is no written policy on this that I've seen, so if that's your plan, get it in writing before joining.

So this raises a question. I see "get it in writing" a lot. Is there actually a way t oget something in writing or is it just a round about way of saying "if it's not in the contract, don't count on it"?

I mean is there actually a way for me to get something that says "DeadCactus will be allowed to take a two-year defferment from the normal medical curriculumn to pursue a graduate level degree. During this time, he shall maintain his protection from deployment contingent upon maintaining status as a full-time medical student"?

Who would you go to for something like that? Would it actually hold up worth anything?
 
So this raises a question. I see "get it in writing" a lot. Is there actually a way t oget something in writing or is it just a round about way of saying "if it's not in the contract, don't count on it"?
Good observation.

Here's the problem- If you have a concern that is already addressed in writing, a recruiter will point you to the documentation and you're golden. If your circumstance is NOT covered in writing, recruiters are loath to make an exception for an individual.
I mean is there actually a way for me to get something that says "DeadCactus will be allowed to take a two-year defferment from the normal medical curriculumn to pursue a graduate level degree. During this time, he shall maintain his protection from deployment contingent upon maintaining status as a full-time medical student"?
My $0.02? I think it's going to be difficult, if it's not already in regs somewhere.

You'll also greatly increase your odds if you have an actual plan. "A graduate degree" doesn't really cut it. What do you want the deferment for? Pursuing an MPH at Acme University is one thing; pursuing a MFA in creative writing is another. Be sure to have something specific to ask for.
Who would you go to for something like that? Would it actually hold up worth anything?
Ask your recruiter. If you get it in writing, I'd feel good about it.

Your odds is probably going to depend a lot on your state and how they are doing in their recruitment efforts. If your state is doing pretty well, your chances go way down. If your state is hard up for docs, your odds go up. I'd expect your recruiter to suggest you apply for the program in your final two years of medical school.

MOST IMPORTANT: Decide if this issue is a deal-breaker for you. If you don't get it in writing, I would definitely not count on being a) allowed to do a two year MS/MH/MPH or b) being non-deployable while you do it.
 
So who would I get it in writing from? Would my recruiter write something up and sign off on it? My CO to be? Some officer high-up in recruiting?

I basically want to take a year or two to do some graduate coursework or research related to biomedical engineering and public health policy. The ideal case for me would be to get it in writing that I can take a year or two off to do so. The more realistic option is that there are two specific programs at specific schools (one is a 1 yr MPH and the other a 2 year MS) I would really want to do and getting it in writing would make it much easier for me to commit. Guess I need to call some people...
 
So who would I get it in writing from? Would my recruiter write something up and sign off on it? My CO to be? Some officer high-up in recruiting?

I basically want to take a year or two to do some graduate coursework or research related to biomedical engineering and public health policy. The ideal case for me would be to get it in writing that I can take a year or two off to do so. The more realistic option is that there are two specific programs at specific schools (one is a 1 yr MPH and the other a 2 year MS) I would really want to do and getting it in writing would make it much easier for me to commit. Guess I need to call some people...

I agree with NDY on all of the above. Like I said earlier, my recruiter checked with someone at National Guard Bureau and my additional year for a MD/MPH (where I had already been accepted) was approved after I sent them some details - not sure if an email is considered "in writing" or good enough for you, but it was good enough for me.

Chances are you would not be deployed since you're useless to them - you have no MOS and no skills. But this is not something you really want to risk.
 
To double check something:

Once an officer's active duty/active drilling and IRR commitment are up, they have to send in a request to officially retire their commision. Failing to do so leaves them in IRR and capable of being called up. Correct?

Question stems from a "they can call you back in whenever they want" comment I get frequently. I'm assuming it's a misunderstanding of the above on either their part or mine.

Also, do they have to have a good reason to not let you retire when your commitment is up or is it purely the whim of whoever is in charge?



Thanks again for the answers.
 
Once an officer's active duty/active drilling and IRR commitment are up, they have to send in a request to officially retire their commision. Failing to do so leaves them in IRR and capable of being called up. Correct?
Correct. If you do not resign your commission, you're still technically an officer.
Also, do they have to have a good reason to not let you retire when your commitment is up or is it purely the whim of whoever is in charge?
Can you be stoplossed, you mean? I don't know. I haven't heard of this happening for doctors. I'd be extremely surprised.
 
Correct. If you do not resign your commission, you're still technically an officer.

Can you be stoplossed, you mean? I don't know. I haven't heard of this happening for doctors. I'd be extremely surprised.

Not necesarilly stop-lossed. I might just be mis-interpretting the word, but I'm under the impression that if you have to put in a request to resign your commision, that request can be denied. No?
 
Not necesarilly stop-lossed. I might just be mis-interpretting the word, but I'm under the impression that if you have to put in a request to resign your commision, that request can be denied. No?
The only time I've heard that done is when folks are in mid-deployment or activation. I've never heard of the Guard (or active Army, for that matter) denying an officer's resignation of his commitment because they're short doctors.
 
Is it mandatory that if you travel while serving the ARNG ASR that you HAVE to take leave? Hubby goes to school in another town so his time with us requires commuting. His weekends are spent with the family (kids, me), who are a flight away from school (assuming there aren't any big finals!). The dealbreaker with this program would be the inability to travel. Any one know the specifics?

Also, this thread contains a plethora of information and I really appreciate all the info and time that has been put into you all enlightening us.

Thanks in advance!
-K
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it mandatory that if you travel while serving the ARNG ASR that you HAVE to take leave?
I believe you technically have to take leave anytime you travel more than 150 miles from your listed address, but I can't remember offhand. I don't think it's cared about much. The big issue is if you'll be out of the area and unable to work for an extended period of time (2 weeks in Cabo or whatnot).

For your specific situation, after you apply, speak to your CO and get his or her impression, as that's goign to be the one that counts. I haven't heard of any ASRs complaining that they're unable to travel...
 
Here we go, I have a question for the thread.

I donated a kidney 3 years ago, and am completely healthy. Am I disqualified?

Is a waiver possible?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone heard anything about a OBLC class being scheduled for June/July next summer? Last I heard, one had not been scheduled yet, but this was over a month ago. Any news? Anyone?
 
I have been tossing around the idea of this program for a while now but I have a question. I am currently a M2. Is there a way that I could be a recruiter for 2 years instead of the normal 3? I know this would shave off a year of my active pay but my other question is will this shave some time off of my drill time? For instance, instead of the 8 year commitment (3 active + 5 reserve) would it still be 8 years (2 active + 6 reserve) or would the reserve time decrease to say 2 active + 4 reserve)? Thanks for the help.
 
I donated a kidney 3 years ago, and am completely healthy. Am I disqualified?

Is a waiver possible?
It's disqualifying. According to AR 40-501.2-15.f.1
"Current absence of one kidney, congenital (753.0) or acquired (V45.73) is disqualifying."

Whether it's waiverable or not, I have no idea. That's something I'd direct to the ASR for your particular state, as some states might push it harder than others.
 
I have been tossing around the idea of this program for a while now but I have a question. I am currently a M2. Is there a way that I could be a recruiter for 2 years instead of the normal 3?
Yes. The program is for "up to three years." Lots of folks take it for less.
I know this would shave off a year of my active pay but my other question is will this shave some time off of my drill time?
My understanding (though I don't know if I've seen it in writing, so folks can jump in here) is that you take ASR for an 8 year MSO (military service obligation) of which 6 years are in the drilling status. So it can be 3 drilling years in med school plus 3 drilling years in residency plus 2 years IRR. Of in your case, it could be 2 years drilling in med school plus 4 years drilling in residency plus 2 years IRR. Make sense?
For instance, instead of the 8 year commitment (3 active + 5 reserve) would it still be 8 years (2 active + 6 reserve) or would the reserve time decrease to say 2 active + 4 reserve)? Thanks for the help.
I'm not sure what you mean by your math here. Does mine make sense?
 
First off thanks for your help with this question... I know my math doesn't add up to 8 years in the last example. The reason is that I was wondering what is the benefit of being a recruiter for 2 years instead of 3 years? If you still have to complete an 8 year requirement than wouldn't it be smarter to be paid for 3 years of recruiting rather than just 2, or is my reasoning wrong? Thanks again for the help.
 
First off thanks for your help with this question... I know my math doesn't add up to 8 years in the last example. The reason is that I was wondering what is the benefit of being a recruiter for 2 years instead of 3 years? If you still have to complete an 8 year requirement than wouldn't it be smarter to be paid for 3 years of recruiting rather than just 2, or is my reasoning wrong? Thanks again for the help.

My understanding is that you're commisioning is a normal commisioning incurring a 6 year drilling activation and 8 year total MSO (e.g. 2 yrs IRR). The ASR program just gives you up to 3 years of ADSW and the corresponding pay as an incentive, but has no direct influence in the length of your commitment. So even though you would only get two years of ADSW and AD pay, you would still have the same commision leaving you with 4 years of drilling and 2 years IRR after med school.

It seems more accurate to think of the ASR as a special job within the guard than to think of it as some sort of scholarship or stipend program...
 
First off thanks for your help with this question... I know my math doesn't add up to 8 years in the last example. The reason is that I was wondering what is the benefit of being a recruiter for 2 years instead of 3 years? If you still have to complete an 8 year requirement than wouldn't it be smarter to be paid for 3 years of recruiting rather than just 2, or is my reasoning wrong?
No, your reasoning is right. The more years you can be on ASR, the more money you make. Regardless, you have to drill for 6 years, so if you can do 3 of those years on ASR, all the more money for you.

There is no logical reason I can think of to choose to do ASR for less than 3 years, if you're going to do ASR. The only reason folks do less than 3 years is because their application is delayed (apply early, folks) or they do not apply until later in their med school career. I didn't hear about it until my MS II year, so I'll only be on ASR for just under 2-1/2 years. But even taking ASR for only one year works out to be a good deal, considering what you get and owe for it.
 
Quick weekend question:

What benefits continue through your residency while on reserve status through ARNG? Medical (?), BAH (?), access to base (NEX, Commissary), MAC flights (lol...Hawaii anyone? :laugh: )

Thanks a billion!- In advance!
 
Last edited:
So what's the catch? What's the downside? I keep getting asked this.

You get $120k for six years of commitment during which you spend ~5 years undeployable and the remaining 1+ year in residency from which no one has been deployed. What's the benefit to the Guard?

My take on it is that $150k buys them about 3 years of a GMO that they can call on and pull out of residency if need be, some peripheral recruiting assistance, and the hope that we'll sign up for more money after getting a good deal and stay in despite the lower risk/reward ratio.

An unlikely chance of deployment and the hope thqat you stay in doesn;t seem like the kind of deal the military is known for...
 
So what's the catch? What's the downside? I keep getting asked this.
The catch is you're making an 8 year commitment to the U.S. military.
You get $120k for six years of commitment during which you spend ~5 years undeployable and the remaining 1+ year in residency from which no one has been deployed.
Where are you getting these numbers, out of curiosity?

You commit to six years of drilling in the Guard. They start when you swear in. For most applicants, this means that three are spent in med school (in which you earn about $155K, at least for applicants in my zip code) and three are spent in residency. Those in the ASR program are exempt from mobilization and call-up. It also explicitly covers officers participating in "a civilian Graduate Medical Education Training Program approved by the Department of Army as follows: (1) Medical, Dental and Surgical Residents..."
What's the benefit to the Guard?
The Guard does not have enough doctors, but those who sign up are much more likely to stay in past their initial commitment than in the active Army.
My take on it is that $150k buys them about 3 years of a GMO that they can call on and pull out of residency if need be,
Bad take. There are already many more docs in the STRAP pipeline that they could pull from if they wanted to pull people in from residency training against policy. Hasn't happened in the history of this war, which is as thinly spread as the Guard has been in 60 years. I doubt very much the Guard launched such an expensive program for the off-chance of something happening which hasn't happened and isn't expected to.
some peripheral recruiting assistance, and the hope that we'll sign up for more money after getting a good deal and stay in despite the lower risk/reward ratio.
They need docs. This is a quick way to get them. Once they get the docs they need, they'll stop the program. If they get desperately short again, they may start it again. In the meantime, they'll keep MDSSP and STRAP going.
An unlikely chance of deployment and the hope thqat you stay in doesn;t seem like the kind of deal the military is known for...
Dangling money in front of people to get them to commit is exactly the kind of deal the military is known for, imho...
 
The catch is you're making an 8 year commitment to the U.S. military.

Where are you getting these numbers, out of curiosity?

My numbers were based off the assumption that you enter in October of MS1 year and thus have most of the four years of medical school and intern year where you are contractually protected from deployment. This leaves you with a one year of active drilling and two years of IRR (occuring during residency) in which you could theoretically be deployed (if my understanding that protection during residency comes from a policy and not a part of your contract).

You commit to six years of drilling in the Guard. They start when you swear in. For most applicants, this means that three are spent in med school (in which you earn about $155K, at least for applicants in my zip code) and three are spent in residency. Those in the ASR program are exempt from mobilization and call-up. It also explicitly covers officers participating in "a civilian Graduate Medical Education Training Program approved by the Department of Army as follows: (1) Medical, Dental and Surgical Residents..."

The Guard does not have enough doctors, but those who sign up are much more likely to stay in past their initial commitment than in the active Army.

Bad take. There are already many more docs in the STRAP pipeline that they could pull from if they wanted to pull people in from residency training against policy. Hasn't happened in the history of this war, which is as thinly spread as the Guard has been in 60 years. I doubt very much the Guard launched such an expensive program for the off-chance of something happening which hasn't happened and isn't expected to.

They need docs. This is a quick way to get them. Once they get the docs they need, they'll stop the program. If they get desperately short again, they may start it again. In the meantime, they'll keep MDSSP and STRAP going.

I guess that's where the question comes up. Sure they have MDSSP and STRAP people they could call up. But clearly those programs aren't attracting enough people. So the question is if the Guard needs doctors that bad, why are they paying us $150k for a commitment during which we won't get deployed? Are warm bodies and the chance that we'll stick around really worth $150k? I mean I don't think there is some nefarious plot where they are secretly building up supplies of deployable physicians for some foreseeable war. I just think a $150k for someone who you aren't really able to deploy during a shortage makes a lot less sense than $150k being worth having a stockpile of physicians just in case.

Dangling money in front of people to get them to commit is exactly the kind of deal the military is known for, imho...Yea, but hand in hand with that is the idea that the deal is never as good as it sounds and ASR sounds pretty damn good.

And just to clarify, I think ASR is a great program. My packet is going before the boards and I think it's an awesome oppurtunity for people interested in being in the Guard. The question of "Why is the guard paying so much if you're supposedly so protected from deployment?" is just an issue that keeps coming up when family and friends talk to me about the program. I'm just trying to polish up my answer, because it's still a bit rough...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, but you can purchase Tricare Select to continue your coverage if you want. Prices are pretty cheap. Availability depends on where you are (there's an engine that lets you search for docs who take Tricare. They're more common in ares with military bases).

No.

Yes

Yes.


Question on the MAC flights....how does that work and are family members eligible....anyone have a link?
 
Question on the MAC flights....how does that work and are family members eligible....anyone have a link?
I'd google it. I've been underwhelmed by the idea. Unless you're on orders, you always run the risk of being bumped at the last minute and it's only for you (no dependents).
 
i've been wanting to do this program ever since learning about it, but my question is this.

i have interviews coming up and what will happen if i get accepted, get into asr, but then let's say i get accepted off the waitlist or something like that at a school i would rather go to. could i go to that school, or upon enlistment with the ng am i obligated to go to the school with the letter of acceptance i used to get in?

any info or contact info of those that may know is greatly appreciated. thanks.
 
i have interviews coming up and what will happen if i get accepted, get into asr, but then let's say i get accepted off the waitlist or something like that at a school i would rather go to.
If it's within state (first accepted to UCLA then later get accepted at UCSF), then it's no worries. If your later acceptance is from another state, it would require some paperwork to transfer you.
 
If it's within state (first accepted to UCLA then later get accepted at UCSF), then it's no worries. If your later acceptance is from another state, it would require some paperwork to transfer you.

so let's say that in october i get accepted to State A, get my paperwork done, sworn in, etc. then let's say in march i get a call from a different school in State B saying they'll take me. aside from some paperwork, i would be able to choose between the two and go to the one in State B with no major issues, or losing out on ASR?

also, i am not currently living in a state where i will attend school. can i remain living here while i wait for school to start and get in on asr, or do i need to be residing in the state where i plan to attend?