Army Radiology Residency Aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merd3ster90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently a M3 and Army HPSP at a MD school who's going into radiology. I've already set up my away rotation at SAMMC for summer 2016, but I'm wondering what an away in radiology looks like. It's not like IM where I'll be carrying patients and giving reports during rounds. Will they even know I'm there, or will I be constantly sitting behind someone in the dark room as they dictate? I hope that they would at least have me do a research presentation.

On a related note, what is the best way for me to prepare as a student going into radiology? I'm assuming anatomy and knowing structures are important, but should I know how to read XR/CT/MRI as a M4? Will they expect me to know how to dictate an image during an away rotation?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm currently a M3 and Army HPSP at a MD school who's going into radiology. I've already set up my away rotation at SAMMC for summer 2016, but I'm wondering what an away in radiology looks like. It's not like IM where I'll be carrying patients and giving reports during rounds. Will they even know I'm there, or will I be constantly sitting behind someone in the dark room as they dictate? I hope that they would at least have me do a research presentation.

On a related note, what is the best way for me to prepare as a student going into radiology? I'm assuming anatomy and knowing structures are important, but should I know how to read XR/CT/MRI as a M4? Will they expect me to know how to dictate an image during an away rotation?

Thank you in advance.

Army radiology resident.

1. Most of your rotation will be following a resident and watching them interpret studies. Yes, it gets very boring at times. That's okay though, because practicing radiology is nothing like watching someone practice radiology. Also, it's way better than the alternative <<any other clinical rotation with responsibilities>>. Other typical activities include attending lectures by residents/staff and possibly even participating in some IR procedures.
2. Rotators give a presentation at the end of rotation on the topic of their choosing. Being able to present well is one of the best ways to stand out to the residents and staff, who later have to rank you amongst the other students.
3. Most residents and staff have very little expectation when it comes to interpretation of studies or even knowledge of basic anatomy. You won't be dictating any studies. Really, I don't care if you can identify all the bronchopulmonary segments or give me a differential for aggressive bone lesion in a pediatric patient. Because chances are you will forget all those things by the time you actually start radiology (PGY2) and you will have to learn it all again just likely everyone else. I do care that you're pleasant to sit with and play nice with others (residents, rotators, etc).
4. Overall, radiology rotation even as an applicant should be very low stress. Enjoy.

Thank you so much for your input, it was very helpful. I'm relieved to hear that it's a low stress rotation with reasonable expectations of the students.

This year's SAMMC rads rotation was awesome.... probably will be similar next year. You attend didactics morning and noon most days and rotate through a couple days on each subspecialty- just watching and learning, asking questions depending on the resident/attending, and usually time for self directed studies in the afternoons to read up on all the neat things you saw that day! You will make a short powerpoint/case presentation on a case you saw during your rotation for teaching purposes. They also had student/resident dinners so they can get to know you and recognize you as you rotate through the different subspecialties. Just wanted to give you a heads up that is was amazing and you will learn a ton!!!

Reactions: 1 user