Asian stats for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IronGiant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many people know that it is harder for Asians to get in to medical school. How much of a difference is this in GPA and MCAT compared to different applicants of different ethnicity, specifically in allopathic schools?

My GPA will be around 3.5 by the time I graduate and I am aiming around 515 for my MCAT. I am worried that this is too low for most MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many people know that it is harder for Asians to get in to medical school. How much of a difference is this in GPA and MCAT compared to different applicants of different ethnicity, specifically in allopathic schools?

My GPA will be around 3.5 by the time I graduate and I am aiming around 500 for my MCAT. I am worried that this is too low for most MD schools.

500 is low for MD regardless of ethnicity. You should be aiming to break 510.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

My GPA will be around 3.5 by the time I graduate and I am aiming around 500 for my MCAT. I am worried that this is too low for most MD schools.
Why on earth would you aim for 500? That is too low.

Regarding acceptance rates for different ethnicities with varying stats: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

Refer to the posted table. It is the objective data. You can likely improve your chances by applying top schools in areas that Asians typically do not apply to in great numbers, such as those in the Midwest.

Reactions: 1 user
Asians do not have it harder. There is a 4-6% difference in asian acceptances versus the general population. I bet if you look at regional differences, there would be 0% difference between Asian and White applicants except for California applicants. Stop creating artificial disadvantages as a scapegoat if you cant get in, and try to focus on being the best in your represented group and not the worse that gets bumped out because med schools want to increase diversity.

Reactions: 2 users
Asians do not have it harder. Someone looked at the AAMC tables and concluded that there is a 6% stat difference in asian acceptances versus the general population. That's the difference between a 3.7 and a 3.72. I bet if you look at regional differences, there would be 0% difference between Asian and White applicants except for California applicants. Stop creating artificial disadvantages as a scapegoat if you cant get in.
I wasn't creating a scapegoat. I was genuinely worried that I wouldn't be able to get in from what I've heard. I am actually happy to hear that if that is true. Also I did not "create an artificial advantage" as many people do say it is harder for asians to get accepted.

Asians do not have it harder. There is a 4-6% difference in asian acceptances versus the general population. I bet if you look at regional differences, there would be 0% difference between Asian and White applicants except for California applicants. Stop creating artificial disadvantages as a scapegoat if you cant get in, and try to focus on being the best in your represented group and not the worse that gets bumped out because med schools want to increase diversity.

This is not true, hence why there is a 24 page thread about this just a few topics away.

To OP: If you can get a 515 on the MCAT, you should be fine for going MD, provided you have your extracurriculars set

This is not true, hence why there is a 24 page thread about this just a few topics away.

To OP: If you can get a 515 on the MCAT, you should be fine for going MD, provided you have your extracurriculars set
Or apply broadly. I still strongly subscribe to the Coastal Cluster Theory of why Asian apps get fewer acceptances.

Yeah definitely, take a African American student with 3.2GPA and 30MCAT and an Asian student with same grade, and let's play the "guess who got in" game. There are many ways to interpret the higher average matriculating GPA/MCAT for Asian students, but blatantly saying the difference do not exist is plain ignorance...

I wasn't creating a scapegoat. I was genuinely worried that I wouldn't be able to get in from what I've heard. I am actually happy to hear that if that is true. Also I did not "create an artificial advantage" as many people do say it is harder for asians to get accepted.

Look at the data in the tables Glandzburg provided and draw your own conclusions. Apply broadly.

Bear with me now...

Let's say I'm the coach of a soccer team. I want to have the best players possible at each position (obviously because a team of goalies isn't going to win any games). Let's assume that players can only play one position. If i have 30 forwards trying out for 3 spots and 3 middies trying out for 3 spots as well, it might just happen that some really good forwards don't make my team. Those really good forwards might even be better at being forwards than 1 or more of the middies on my team are at being middies. But it doesn't matter because I have the 3 best forwards in my view.

If you're one of these really good forwards who didn't make my team, do you blame the middies (who play a completely different position than you and who's strategies/skills you may not understand) or do you train harder to become a better forward so you can make the team over the other forwards?

Reactions: 2 users
Bear with me now...

Let's say I'm the coach of a soccer team. I want to have the best players possible at each position (obviously because a team of goalies isn't going to win any games). Let's assume that players can only play one position. If i have 30 forwards trying out for 3 spots and 3 middies trying out for 3 spots as well, it might just happen that some really good forwards don't make my team. Those really good forwards might even be better at being forwards than 1 or more of the middies on my team are at being middies. But it doesn't matter because I have the 3 best forwards in my view.

If you're one of these really good forwards who didn't make my team, do you blame the middies (who play a completely different position than you and who's strategies/skills you may not understand) or do you train harder to become a better forward so you can make the team over the other forwards?
What?...
This is not how medical school admissions works

Bear with me now...

I think that equivalency isn't really all that accurate. People of different cultures will bring different life experiences and attributes to medicine, but these things they bring won't drive them toward one position, in this case specialty (I guess), or another...

Also, you can't say that the roles of medical students of different races are all different either...

In any case, it's good if Asian applicants realize that they have it harder early on. That way they can build up their application accordingly, and not whine about it or get freaked out before its too late.

Okay so we currently have a topic going about Asians and medical school admissions here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/disadvantage-to-be-an-asian.10566/unread

OP, I am going to lock this thread because it's becoming the thread I linked v2 and not a "what are my chances" thread. If you are interested in your own specific chances and not the discussion of Asians and admissions, please post a thread in the what are my chances forum (be sure to read the stickied guidelines first though).

Status
Not open for further replies.