Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ask away. I'll do my best to answer. My background:

9 years enlisted in Army National Guard
2-years Private Practice as an Associate
Goodfellow AFB, TX - Clinical dentist and Assistant Director of Dental Services
2 year Comprehensive General Dentistry Residency
USAF Academy - Deputy Director, AEGD
Bolling AFB - Surgeon General's Office - Working on Federal Dental Service issues as well as AF Education
Elmendorf AFB, AK - AEGD Residency Director
Deployed for 6 months
Lackland AFB, TX - Associate Professor of Comprehensive Dentistry (Director, 1st year Resident Education and Training)

14+ years total in the AF

Hello, these are a few of my questions regarding Air Force dentistry. I am considering the 3 HPSP.
1. Hours per week? 2. Hours per day? 3. Scrubs or ABU while working? 4. Must you be cleanly shaven every day? 5. Do you have duties other than dentistry? 6. Can you choose your days of vacation? Also for those who did the HPSP path, My recruiter told me that one year AEGD residency counts towards a year of pay back. Has this changed over the years?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the heads up. And I see a lot of your other posts through out this site. Thanks for that info too! You wouldn't happen to be based out of San Antonio would you?

Also, on this topic of finding another recruiter, what are the rules for that? Do they have to be in your city? Sorry, I'm a little new to military stuff

No, I wish! I am in Maryland currently. No rules on finding another recruiter. Everything can be done remotely. Last year I helped someone apply in NY, PA, SC, FL, DC, IN, CO and NM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, these are a few of my questions regarding Air Force dentistry. I am considering the 3 HPSP.
1. Hours per week? 2. Hours per day? 3. Scrubs or ABU while working? 4. Must you be cleanly shaven every day? 5. Do you have duties other than dentistry? 6. Can you choose your days of vacation? Also for those who did the HPSP path, My recruiter told me that one year AEGD residency counts towards a year of pay back. Has this changed over the years?

I've been out three years and knowledge is getting rusty, but the AF forum has been slow so I will try to answer:
1. Nominally 40ish hours/week; can easily creep up past 50 with some after hours recordkeeping / training /etc. Not a stressful schedule. Typical appointments 1hr each; more time for complex procedures; usually work out of only one chair; usually no hygiene checks / exams while you're scheduled with procedures.
2. Nominally 8hrs/day. See above. Like so much else in the military, much will depend on your commanding officer. He/she can make your life easy or hard. I found myself working 70hrs/week for a year or so on an undermanned base under a very demanding commander. Mostly additional duties, not patient time. Probably not a typical USAF experience, but it does point to the fact that in the military your working life is really determined by the personality and attitude of your commander. He/she will have FAR more power over you than a civilian boss, for better or worse. If "worse," know that you'll probably have a different commander in a year tor two and things will be different; the AF moves people around often as they climb in rank.
3. Report in ABUs; change into scrubs for workday; change back to ABUs to leave clinic or go home.
4. Yes, and hair cut to regulations, and uniform to regulations. Certain facial hair is permitted (eg well trimmed mustache). There are very elaborate rules about all this, and you will be held to them precisely: the military is a stickler for appearances.
5. Yes. Your patient schedule is quite a bit lighter than in civilian practice, and your additional duties heavier.
6. You can pretty much choose your vacation days, but requests are subject to approval by your commander.
7. Sort of. The AEGD year counts for a year of payback, but it also costs you a year of obligation, so the net effect is that the AEGD year does NOT reduce your time obligation. So if you have a 3-year HPSP, you will owe 3 years active duty beyond the AEGD year, so 4 total. That said, the AEGD-1 is probably the best year you will ever invest in your skills as a dentist -- really excellent training that will take you far beyond what you learn in dental school.

The paid AEGD residency and the D-school tuition benefits are the two biggest benefits to HPSP. Pretty huge, really. If you can get the scholarship I would say take it. But you have to be prepared to give in return: the military will make demands on you that a civilian employer cannot: sometimes trivial ones, like having your hair cut a certain way or peeing for drug tests on demand while some dude in camo stands there and watches your every move; and sometimes big things, like working looong hours if told to or deploying overseas. As long as you can live with that, jump at the HPSP.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there someone who I can contact regarding pediatric dentists in the AF (currently in residency)? I am kind of tinkering around with the idea but I want to get more info on it. I'm not really looking for the loan repayment aspect of AF since I have paid off my loans. Thanks! :)

Bolling AFB - Surgeon General's Office - Working on Federal Dental Service issues as well as AF Education
Deployed for 6 months
Lackland AFB, TX - Associate Professor of Comprehensive Dentistry (Director, 1st year Resident Education and Training)

Deployed for 6 months

Hi,
I am an international dentist and a US citizen.I have been accepted in an advanced standing program (DDS).I was wondering if there are any opportunities to join the air force in this program.
Thanks!

Hi,
I am an international dentist and a US citizen.I have been accepted in an advanced standing program (DDS).I was wondering if there are any opportunities to join the air force in this program.
Thanks!

You can in the army as long as you get a state license. Not sure if the air force works the same way though.

Has anyone applied to the airforce after the completion of dental school for either active duty or reserves? Are you looked down upon deciding to join after school? and also are the requirements the same to apply. I.e. having to write personal statements, recommendations, gpa, etc etc? I've been wanting to do it since I started dental school but I realized I was pretty late into the process and work load then was tremendous. Luckily, im still and have remained interested in making this a living. Dont have family dependents or any obligations holding back from doing this on my own. Thanks.

I have a question regarding OMFS residency in the AF. After receiving the HPSP and finishing dental school, how can you get into an OMFS program? Do you finish your service years first then apply for the residency or is it possible to apply for it right after dental school?

I have a question regarding OMFS residency in the AF. After receiving the HPSP and finishing dental school, how can you get into an OMFS program? Do you finish your service years first then apply for the residency or is it possible to apply for it right after dental school?
I believe you can apply for it on your own but it's best to talk to a recruiter or someone in the AF to understand what happens. The AF does have its own in-house residency to apply for, but I hear it's hard to get coming right out of dental school. I'm willing to bet they want you to be committed to a career with them to get the residency. But it's definitely possible to apply outside the AF but I believe I saw you need to ask permission to apply.

For the past years, the residency you can apply for while in dental school is AEGD-1, perio, pros, and OMFS. That might change in the future, but traditionally it's been that list. I think perio might be on or off depending on the year.

Your ADSC (active duty service commitment) can be served concurrently, but it gets a little technical depending on your specific situation. You should ask a recruiter to clarify that part for you.

Also, you might need to take a snowbird year before starting residency just because of when the residency start / when you graduate

Does anyone know if the board has met to decide the 3 year HPSP recipients? And if so is there a day when we should find out? Thank you

Does anyone know if the board has met to decide the 3 year HPSP recipients? And if so is there a day when we should find out? Thank you
Best person to ask would be your recruiter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)

I was just notified for 3-year HPSP on January 30th or something, but I applied very early- I was the first person they in person interviewed at DC. The rest of the results should be coming out soon I would imagine

If you are serious about doing OS right out of the gate, your best bet is to do an externship at Lackland while in dental school

Reactions: 1 users
If you are serious about doing OS right out of the gate, your best bet is to do an externship at Lackland while in dental school
Thank you for the helpful information. Is there is a website where you could apply or does it depend on contacting someone directly?

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the officer training, when do we perform it. Is it during dental school or does it occur after we finish the DDS?

Google COT. Read all the information. Post what you find.
Here is what I found for Dental "show proof of having taken a state and/or regional
dental licensing examination before entering Commissioned Officers Training (COT)." This means its after DDS. However, I also found on other places that you need to sign up for it before school or it can be during the summer months but I doubt that this is the case for Dental. So which one is correct?

Last edited:
Here is what I found for Dental "show proof of having taken a state and/or regional
dental licensing examination before entering Commissioned Officers Training (COT)." This means its after DDS. However, I also found on other places that you need to sign up for it before school or it can be during the summer months but I doubt that this is the case for Dental. So which one is correct?
You can do it after more than not, though if you have the 4 year, technically you can do it before. Hard to do it during.

How often do people in the Air Force moonlight?
I see a lot of people ask about this in the past for Army/Navy, but not many for AF.

Moonlighting happens fairly often. To get the approval from your Supervisor/Commander is fairly simple. The most complicated part can be obtaining the state license where you want to practice. I recently started moonlighting. It cost me nearly $4k to get my state license, DEA number, and malpractice insurance. That figure will vary by state obviously. Careful tho, it will probably give you the itch to separate and make private practice money!

I would like to begin my application for the USAF HPSP. I began an email dialogue with a recruiter about two weeks ago. I've tried to call him at his office and his mailbox is full and will not allow more messages. We've set up a phone call twice now via email and he has not called on either occasions. His office is an hour away, I'm thinking of just walking in to meet with him.

Is it customary for the application process to be difficult to initiate?

Please advise.

I would like to begin my application for the USAF HPSP. I began an email dialogue with a recruiter about two weeks ago. I've tried to call him at his office and his mailbox is full and will not allow more messages. We've set up a phone call twice now via email and he has not called on either occasions. His office is an hour away, I'm thinking of just walking in to meet with him.

Is it customary for the application process to be difficult to initiate?

Please advise.

If you call me for the Army I will get you an appointment in 5 mins! ;) Just saying SFC Neher 315-405-6388

How is the AEGD life like? Is it very busy/do you get weekends off? And if I deploy to a foreign country, can I use my weekends to travel?

How is the AEGD life like? Is it very busy/do you get weekends off? And if I deploy to a foreign country, can I use my weekends to travel?
All AEGD locations are within the US. You won't be deployed during any residency.

Hi, I am a 29 year old female interested in HPSP. By the time I graduate dental school, i'll be 33. I want to start a family shortly after school, but I'm worried if that will be an issue during my payback time. I am only getting older and I have always wanted kids. Thus, I was wondering how does being pregnant or maternity leave work while payback? Should I wait it out or think about options such as freezing my egg, etc.?

My partner is in medical school and is not likely to go the military route. Could you share some guidance for someone who is likely to marry someone in med school who is not going military route. Does AF allow your family to stay with you during service or consider bases closer to family if requested?

I would greatly appreciate some insight on these matters. Thank you!

Hi, I am a 29 year old female interested in HPSP. By the time I graduate dental school, i'll be 33. I want to start a family shortly after school, but I'm worried if that will be an issue during my payback time. I am only getting older and I have always wanted kids. Thus, I was wondering how does being pregnant or maternity leave work while payback? Should I wait it out or think about options such as freezing my egg, etc.?

My partner is in medical school and is not likely to go the military route. Could you share some guidance for someone who is likely to marry someone in med school who is not going military route. Does AF allow your family to stay with you during service or consider bases closer to family if requested?

I would greatly appreciate some insight on these matters. Thank you!
Air Force Instruction 36-3003 generally covers rules for missing work, so if you want to look at specifics that's where to look. It's going to admittedly be a bit tough to understand.

After giving birth to a child maternity convalescent leave of 42 days is generally granted. Convalescent leave is taken immediately after discharge from the hospital. In addition to convalescent leave 12 weeks of parental leave is authorized and must be taken within 1 year of the birth, adoption or receiving a child in long term foster care. The 12 weeks can be taken in increments (up to 12 separate 7 day periods) or all at once. Most people seem to take the 12 weeks continuously. If you attend a residency program (AEGD or a specialty training program) time out of the clinic can impact your ability to complete requirements for the residency. Just like missing clinic in dental school could impact your ability to complete requirements for graduation. If you are in a traditional clinic and want to take a continuous period of 18 weeks, you can utilize your entitlements and it's not your problem. Your annual evaluation may be impacted because you won't complete as many procedures as someone who isn't out of the clinic for 18 weeks but, this may sound absurd, productivity in the clinic isn't that important when it comes to advancement in the military.

You indicate your partner is not likely to go the military route, however if your partner did join the military, they would also be entitled to 12 weeks of parental leave. Now as far as the AF allowing your family to stay with you during service. There are a few assignments where the military member must go without their family but they are usually filled with volunteers (some 6 month deployments are assigned to people who do not want to go). Other than that the AF is happy to have your family join you. If you have family you will actually be paid more than people with no family. Regarding sending you to a location close to your family there are no guarantees, but I feel comfortable saying the individuals who assign where people will work really try hard to sort these things out. I think the idea is if you aren't happy you won't work well for the AF. If your spouse matches to a location like Buffalo NY where there aren't any nearby AF bases sorry you're out of luck. A friend of mine had a spouse match to residency in a city where there is no AF base but they sent them to the nearest base for their 1 year AEGD and allowed them to stay at that location after the AEGD-1 while their spouse finished residency. If your spouse joins the military, they very rarely send people to separate locations if they want to stay together.

Hi,
I will be a D1 student this year and will apply to the Air Force HPSP. Do you know how competitive pediatric residencies are in the Air Force and how many openings they typically have? Is it possible to specialize right after graduating from dental school or do I have to wait until service years are completed?