Ask LizzyM Anything 2013 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Retaking a 35 MCAT is solely an exercise in hubris.

Dear LizzyM,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

I had a question regarding my MCAT score. I took the MCAT in August, right beginning of my junior year, so quite early on. On most of my practice exams I was scoring in the 38 range and my actual score was a 35 (13 PS, 11 V, 11 BS). While I am very thankful at having achieved a 35 and am satisfied with it, I am considering a retake. Why? For one reason, I believe taking it so early hurt me a little because some concepts (especially for biochem) have become easier to understand with a few more classes under my belt. Next, I feel that with a month or so of hard work and revision I can definitely bring that score up to about a 37 or 38 at least.

I ask because I hope to go to a particular medical school in my hometown so that I can remain close to my family, but it is very top-tier. Second, I really want to ease the financial burden of med school and know that a 35 is not going to cut it for merit scholarships. That's why I hope to retake and aim for near 40. I sincerely think I can score higher, but wanted to know if a 38 is looked at THAT differently from a 35. My GPA is around a 3.9 at a small liberal arts school if that helps any.

I have been warned by some people that retaking a 35 can seem arrogant, but my reasons for re-taking it are simply to get into that particular med school close to home and to perhaps secure a scholarship.

Thank you for the help and time, it is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
a few posts in this thread (and another thread) mentioned whether the sons/daughters of physicians have any advantages.

my question is, do you HAVE to reveal your parents' education level/profession on your application?

my parents are white-collar professionals with graduate degrees, but their income level is no where near the stratosphere occupied for those of physicians. if possible, i would avoid revealing any information about my folks.

Hi LizzyM :) Thanks so much for taking the time to answer questions. I have 2,
1) Do I have to take a year long physics lab course? My school only offers 1 semester. Is that okay?
2) I go to a small LAC but was accepted to several top 50 undergrads, unable to go because of financial reasons. I mean I'm really happy with my school right now and wouldn't change it with any other college, but I wanted to know if I should explain that on my application, and if I do, how should I phrase it? Because I was a hard worker in high school, not the highest GPA ever, but a really good SAT score (99th percentile) but the school I go to is kinda "easy" to get accepted to and average scores and gpa are kinda low. I don't want medical schools to think of me as a "slacker." I ask because I constantly hear that where you go for undergrad matters.

Thank you again!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If I will have 3 summers worth of full-time research and 4 semesters worth of part-time/full-time research (for my senior thesis), will I be asked why I am not doing MD/PhD if I end up deciding not to go for an MD/PhD? Assuming I also have demonstrated that I am interested in and very much exposed to a clinical/healthcare setting (student health groups, health related community service, 1-1.5 years undergrad +3 years done in HS of hospital volunteering, many shadowing hours in different specialties), is it alright for me to say I just really enjoyed doing research as an undergrad, took advantage of these resources at my university and elsewhere, but do not expect to do much with a PhD? Or will having this much research and not going for an MD/PhD hurt me, or raise concerns?

Also, if I am not admitted to the MD/PhD or MTSP program, will my application be viewed differently if rolled over to MD-only?

@onyisraw
Do you have an actual question? You earned a gpa of 3.35 in junior college classes before you even finished HS. If you are lucky those grades will drag down your GPA (if you were to make a mess of college, the same grades could boost your final GPA but let's hope that doesn't happen.) Yes, that 's going to affect your GPA. Your only hope is to do whatever you have to earn as many college credits as you can in four years (don't do any penny wise pound foolish stuff by finishing early) and to earn the best grades you can.

Yes I have an actual question. You blew it off when you told me my story was hypothetical. Sorry I didn't restate it but my original question was has this situation ever come up before and how do adcom's view it?? Thanks, again.

Hi @LizzyM , thanks for doing this

Have you ever come across an applicant who was charged with accusations against them, such as plagiarism? What if this account of plagiarism isn't considered as an institutional action by the university, but the student just wanted to cover her bases on the AMCAS?

How does such a thing factor into your decision of acceptance vs rejecting an applicant?

I have one last question. Do people ever bring stuff to show the interviewer during the interview? What type of items are acceptable? Do you feel this helps or hurt the person?

On my last question you said thick eyeliner is out. For a girl who doesn't usually wear make up do you think it would be better to show up with no make up instead of attempting to put on make up. Or would that be seen as unprofessional?

Do you believe in the interviewing for the waitlist ideology late in the application cycle (January/February interviews), or would you say these late interviews are more along the lines of being on a lower - but still acceptable - position on the staircase in your analogy?

Hi @LizzyM, thanks for doing this!

I am applying this cycle with a strong GPA (both >3.85) and 33 MCAT, although a 7 on the verbal section, a lot of clinical experience and a little bit of research too. How much do you think that 7 will hurt me? (I've had 4 interviews so far)

Also, what interview advice would you give to people who feel they arent good interviewers?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

I'm in my application year right now, and I am doing research with no clinical volunteering as of yet. I've applied for a bunch of clinical positions but they have all rejected me and/or said they were full. I have a couple more leads now, and hopefully one of them will pan out within the next few weeks. My question is, does this look bad to adcoms? I am trying my best to find more clinical experience but it's been very challenging, it really doesn't seem like my city is in need of volunteers. I don't want it to appear like I don't enjoy clinical experience or like I would prefer to be locked up in the lab all day. How can I communicate this to adcoms without sounding like I'm making excuses/whining/bull****ting?

Dear LizzyM,

I've been on SDN since I was a freshman in college and have greatly appreciated and benefitted from your advice (and, of course, from SDN as a whole). I finally submitted my application this cycle and am currently sitting on multiple acceptances and a handful of interviews that I'm still waiting to attend, including an interview at one of my dream schools! Thank you so much for all of the help that you provide to us neurotic pre-meds. I, for one, am tremendously grateful and feel that the advice that I have gotten from you and other ADCOM members on SDN over the years has helped me to plan effectively and accomplish my goals. :D

Happy holidays to you and your family! :biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
Lizzy, this is a difficult question... I have been accepted to DO school and neglected to apply MD at all due to how late in the cycle I received my MCAT scores. I was accepted to several DO schools, and paid two admission deposits. I have a 3.8ish cGPA and sGPA, a 12/11/12 MCAT, and 5 years as a respiratory therapist under my belt. My goal in practice is to do locum emergency department work in rural areas. Should I try to defer admission and apply MD, will it likely not matter if I am a DO, or are you not sure as you generally do admissions and not post-admission career counseling? I feel like just going to DO school next year really fits my career goals, but am not sure if I am making the wrong decision.
@mad jack
You've been admitted to medical school; go already! Sure, you may have been able to get into an MD program but is it worth letting go of a DO offer to reapply a year later? Given your career goals, go and get a head start on your career -- particularly given that you are a non-trad (and older, I presume). Both my husband and I have been treated by DOs in the ED in our neighborhood (not an osteopathic hospital but it has DOs on staff) and I didn't know the difference until I saw the name on the discharge prescriptions.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi LizzyM,

Can I have your autograph?

Although your educational route was different from the pre-med route, can you explain/outline how a practicing physician could go on to teach at a later point in their career? What are some things I should be thinking about right now or even looking into before I start school next year? This may have been asked (you can direct me to the post if yes) and is unrelated to your knowledge amd expertise as an AdCom, but I just wanted to ask anyway.

Thanks and I enjoyed lurking this thread and thanks for providing a wonderful service in your spare time to help the SDN community and other aspiring health professionals :D. Wish I had another question that wasn't already asked :(
@Jennyfishy
Get your education. Apply for a job at a medical school. Profit.

Seriously, if you are interested in practicing medicine and teaching at a medical school, get hired as a physician at a med school affiliated practice after you finish residency/fellowship (a fellowship is almost always required). You will be expected to do research and you will be invited to teach both at the bedside (when you are "on service" supervising residents & med students), in small groups for physical diagnosis skills training and/or small group discussion such as PBL, and you might get invited to give a few lectures in your area of expertise. (I should be preparing the materials that will go along with the lecture I'll give to M2s later this year).

Do keep in mind that patient care and/or research pay the bills; most of us are not paid for the teaching we do but are expected to do it as "good citizens" of the university. Course directors who organize all of us who give a lecture or two each year do get a portion of their salaries from the med school but that is rare.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any general advice for those on waitlists?

Any advice on interpreting mission statements?
Do schools list their objectives/priorities in order from highest to lowest?

Do you think the old MCAT will still be valid in 2015? I want to take the MCAT in April 2014 as it works out well with scheduling classes and other family obligations. However, at this point I am pretty sure that I want to apply in June 2015, would taking the MCAT so early be considered negatively? Especially since there will be people with the MCAT 2.0 scores in that cycle?

Thank you so much!

LizzyM
First off thanks so much for all you have contributed in SDN in general and this thread specifically

1) Does your school use student interviewers and do you find them helpful? Like do they bring a unique perspective or are they clueless?

2) favorite brunch booze?

3) Do you think MCAT scores are a good predictor of the USMLE?

4) does your school make any effort to have equal numbers of male and female students? I know there have been significant changes over the years in the number of female medical students, but I'm curious how things have changed on the admissions side of things.

1) Yes. Good perspective but often more tough than faculty interviewers.
2) Bloody Mary, so vodka, I guess.
3) Evidence suggests that there is a positive but weak correlation with an infection point at the 27-29 band. See https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf
(appendix)
4) Yes but only if we go to the waitlist.

1) I help run an annual golf fundraiser, after the death of one of my family members, which raises money for spinal tumor research. Over 3 million dollars have been donated to a Boston Hospital. Is this worth mentioning in the application?

2) Does having significant travelling experience help in any way?

3) I've worked in a clinical setting and have a good idea of what it means to be a doctor. Is it necessary for me to shadow a doctor on top of that?

THANK YOU!!
1) The important part is not who the fundraiser memorializes or how much money has been raised but what you do. Are those skills that would be useful in med school ? I'm imagining team work, time management, communications, coordination of efforts across organizations and if that's correct, they are useful skills and you could mention this annual activity in your experience section.
2) It does tell us something about you as a person. What you have to say about those travels also tells us something about you. It doesn't have to be about medicine, either, you could travel because you love golf or art museums or rock climbing.
3) Do you know about the different venues that an individual physician might work in during a given week? (e.g. hospital ward, procedure room, ambulatory care office setting) Do you have an idea of what amount of time is spent in continuing education, phone calls, EMR or dictation, consultation with others, and what proportion is face time with patients and/or their familes? If not, a full day of shadowing might be a good idea (same doc from start of day to finish) if you can arrange it. Also ask questions about stuff like how the doc does CME (once a year conference, monthly meeting of a med society, online, weekly grand rounds, etc).

Dear LizzyM,

I've been on SDN since I was a freshman in college and have greatly appreciated and benefitted from your advice (and, of course, from SDN as a whole). I finally submitted my application this cycle and am currently sitting on multiple acceptances and a handful of interviews that I'm still waiting to attend, including an interview at one of my dream schools! Thank you so much for all of the help that you provide to us neurotic pre-meds. I, for one, am tremendously grateful and feel that the advice that I have gotten from you and other ADCOM members on SDN over the years has helped me to plan effectively and accomplish my goals. :D

Happy holidays to you and your family! :biglove:

@cybermaxx12
Thank you! This means the world to me.
Happy holidays to you and congratulations on your successful cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
OMG, I completely forgot to thank you for doing this (and making it a tradition since I've been on SDN for almost 5 years now). So thank you for all the advice you've given as it has definitely helped me be successful this app season (well in terms of invites, I still have to do the work at the interview stage :D). Still, I could never have imagined that I would be getting invites to the schools I have gotten invites from. Its amazing so THANK YOU!!

My final question to you is this, do you only teach at the medical school level? If not, do you get requests for LOR and/or advice for the undergrads at your school. Basically, are you LizzyM at your undergrad without people knowing you're LizzyM?

Any advice on interpreting mission statements?
Do schools list their objectives/priorities in order from highest to lowest?
@karayaa
I have no idea! Those things are a bear to write (beware anything written by committee) and I doubt that you can read anything into them aside from taking what is there at face value.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think the old MCAT will still be valid in 2015? I want to take the MCAT in April 2014 as it works out well with scheduling classes and other family obligations. However, at this point I am pretty sure that I want to apply in June 2015, would taking the MCAT so early be considered negatively? Especially since there will be people with the MCAT 2.0 scores in that cycle?

Thank you so much!
@shoopshoop
Yes, I do think that the old MCAT will be valid in the 2015 cycle. I have no idea how adcoms will deal with two different exams but we are smart people and we'll figure it out.

OMG, I completely forgot to thank you for doing this (and making it a tradition since I've been on SDN for almost 5 years now). So thank you for all the advice you've given as it has definitely helped me be successful this app season (well in terms of invites, I still have to do the work at the interview stage :D). Still, I could never have imagined that I would be getting invites to the schools I have gotten invites from. Its amazing so THANK YOU!!

My final question to you is this, do you only teach at the medical school level? If not, do you get requests for LOR and/or advice for the undergrads at your school. Basically, are you LizzyM at your undergrad without people knowing you're LizzyM?
I teach grad students and med students. I am LizzyM to some grad students without their knowing that I am.
Congrats on your interviews! Best of luck in the new year!

Dear LizzyM,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

I had a question regarding my MCAT score. I took the MCAT in August, right beginning of my junior year, so quite early on. On most of my practice exams I was scoring in the 38 range and my actual score was a 35 (13 PS, 11 V, 11 BS). While I am very thankful at having achieved a 35 and am satisfied with it, I am considering a retake. Why? For one reason, I believe taking it so early hurt me a little because some concepts (especially for biochem) have become easier to understand with a few more classes under my belt. Next, I feel that with a month or so of hard work and revision I can definitely bring that score up to about a 37 or 38 at least.

I ask because I hope to go to a particular medical school in my hometown so that I can remain close to my family, but it is very top-tier. Second, I really want to ease the financial burden of med school and know that a 35 is not going to cut it for merit scholarships. That's why I hope to retake and aim for near 40. I sincerely think I can score higher, but wanted to know if a 38 is looked at THAT differently from a 35. My GPA is around a 3.9 at a small liberal arts school if that helps any.

I have been warned by some people that retaking a 35 can seem arrogant, but my reasons for re-taking it are simply to get into that particular med school close to home and to perhaps secure a scholarship.

Thank you for the help and time, it is much appreciated!
@whalewind
Let's go to the evidence: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf see page 5. Yes, retaking a 35 is a huge risk as, on average, scores in that range go up 1 point after a retake. Do you feel lucky?

Thank you so much for answering! I feel a lot better about registering for the MCAT so early on and hopefully other schools will feel the same way as you!

Another question - does the committee take into account the level of pre-reqs fulfilled by the applicant? For example at my school there are two introductory physics classes, one of which has no calculus and one of which is calculus based and usually for physics majors. Would taking the latter be considered a positive in any way?

@karayaa
I have no idea! Those things are a bear to write (beware anything written by committee) and I doubt that you can read anything into them aside from taking what is there at face value.

Bummer :/

Any under-appreciated/overlooked aspects to consider when considering fit?
I want to target my applications as much as possible to conserve the $$.

Thanks for all of your insight into the admission process. I have two questions that I hope you can answer:

1) What are your thoughts on AmeriCorps service? It seems to get knocked a lot because it's not as "prestigious" as TFA or Peace Corps, but do you think adcoms generally see it that way?

2) Do you have any advice for multiple time reapplicants? I'm not sure if your school sees many, but if you have, what kind of improvements are needed to be competative a second third and fourth time around?

Thanks!

Hi LizzyM, happy holidays! :)

Do you find it off-putting when an applicant has a lot of research experience but is applying MD-only? I've been researching at a lab for a semester now and plan to continue for the next 3-4 years because I find the lab's focus very interesting and my PI is amazing. In addition, I may have the chance to research at institutions abroad for about 6 months and will definitely jump at them if I am accepted. I had considered applying MD/PhD and decided that route didn't align with my goals because I definitely want to focus more on patient care and interaction than on research. Basically, I will probably have a lot of research experience when I apply because I do like research but I can't imagine myself doing it for the rest of my life and I definitely can't imagine myself working through the stress of applying for grants.

LizzyM, so it is the last day of the year 2013, please don't get offended by this question. I heard from a doctor here on SDN that you are a pretty attractive woman, do you agree?
(Please don't kill me) :punch:

How are graduate level science courses taken as an undergraduate viewed? Would they make up for lackluster performance in a lower division course?

Not exactly "make up" but it will improve your GPA, right?
See page 7 of this amazing resource I just discovered today
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf
Your GPA and science GPA are really the things to focus on, not whether courses are grad level or not.

I know it's not about the hours (quality over quantity) but I would assume some adcoms view low hours negatively before the applicant has a chance to show his/her understanding of a certain experience/part of the application. What is the average number of hours of 1) clinical volunteering and 2) nonclinical volunteering at your school?
I have no idea about avg number of clinical and nonclinical volunteering. Anything in the single digits or low double digits will look bad (<50) IMHO.
If a poster was presented more than once at different conferences, should it be listed once or for each unique poster presented?
List it once at the most prestigious conference and add in the explanation that it was also presented at ....

How much weight is given to intercollegiate athletics and awards?

Depends on the reviewer. Some love jocks and some lump them in with concert violinists and other ECs. Awards... dime a dozen although some people like to see Phi Beta Kappa and some people (mostly men) are impressed by Eagle Scouts.

Do you think future physicians should be required to live healthy lifestyles just as they teach their patients?

Required? No. Encouraged and coached in medical school to do so now and through their careers, absolutely.
Would it be viewed negatively/neutral if an applicant had a hobby that he/she excelled at that was stereotypical for a person of that race? For example, piano for asian, etc. Even if the applicant learned from scratch after entering college and truly found a passion for it without the "motivation" from one's parents?
Not negative. Most likely neutral.
What proportion of applicants (with fine numbers and activities) would you estimate are rejected based on their PS and secondary essays?

I have no idea... maybe half? Remember we are trying to cull the herd by 85% For many it is done on the basis of grades and scores, for others, lack of activities. Each time we are cutting by half.
Is the PS worth spending time on if they all start to sound the same (and rarely improve chances but can kill chances) or is it better to spend that time on something else?

A bad PS can kill your chances so it is important to make it the best it can be.

How much do LORs from class profs factor into a decision? I would assume the stellar recs are rare with most recs doing neither harm nor benefit to the applicant.

It is rare for them to help or hurt. but some of the very excellent ones really "sell" the applicant and some of the bad ones plant seeds of doubt about the applicants ability to fit with our teaching style.
What would you say is the next most important factor behind numbers, EC's, and interview?

Motivation for medicine and personal factors you bring to the table (language skills, interest in serving specific populations such as LGBTQ, ).

Is an applicant's name visible on the application that an adcom reviews? Some applicants may not want to reveal their race but I'd imagine names like Jose and Ying are giveaways; do you think adcoms have a bias against those applicants whose races are clearly ORM?
Yes, the name is visible. I haven't seen applicants discriminated against by name. Sometimes I laugh when someone has a very ethnic name, was born abroad, had parents who were educated abroad, and they choose not to answer the race/ethnicity question on the application. Ditto the guy with the white bread name living in a white bread suburb with highly educated parents. Either case, it doesn't really matter.
What would you recommend to students who have PIs that are so busy that they may not care/have time to invest in rec letters? They may say they can write a strong rec etc but they may end up using a template or some generic letter particularly since a lot of PIs like to see their undergrads pursue PhDs.

Most PIs write decent letters despite what you might thing. You really should have one if you've spent more than 200 hours in someone's lab
Do you consider interviewees with weak handshakes negatively? What if their hands are really small and it is hard to have a firm handshake against the bear paws of some interviewer...lol
Well, no one would find my hands to be bear paws. A wimpy handshake is a negative but I'll tend to forget about it when it comes time to write about the interview.
Are applicants that are have unattractive facial features that make them appear to be mean or [some bad characteristic] judged negatively (the applicant may be the nicest person ever but not so lucky with their features)? For example, what if an applicant's laugh or smile looks kind of mean/cocky/evil/etc when that is not intended haha.

Aaannnnnd that wraps it up I believe...thanks a ton for this resource! It is one of the best resources a pre-med could lay hands on!

Would you want a doctor who looks mean, cocky or evil? Style your hair in an attractive manner, smile, and be humble. Actors can change their appearance and speech to seem naughty or nice and so can you.

@currentlypremed
You will have some research on your application (Jan-June??) with the plan to continue for an additional 10-12 months (which AMCAS now allows you to list in the experience section as something happening in the future) so you'll be fine.

What would the committee/you think of an an applicant who has been doing research for a long time (>1.5 years) but who does not have a publication to show for it?

Yes I have an actual question. You blew it off when you told me my story was hypothetical. Sorry I didn't restate it but my original question was has this situation ever come up before and how do adcom's view it?? Thanks, again.
Yes, it has come up before.
They chalk it up to immaturity and take a look at the college GPA although the total GPA will still make or break you.

How often does a dean override a recommendation made by reviewers pre-interview (like will give an interview invite to someone who was given a yes and a no or two no's)? If so, why does that happen? Is it because the dean saw something that the other reviewers didn't (excluding courtesy interviews)?

Last edited:
Hi LizzyM :) Thanks so much for taking the time to answer questions. I have 2,
1) Do I have to take a year long physics lab course? My school only offers 1 semester. Is that okay?
2) I go to a small LAC but was accepted to several top 50 undergrads, unable to go because of financial reasons. I mean I'm really happy with my school right now and wouldn't change it with any other college, but I wanted to know if I should explain that on my application, and if I do, how should I phrase it? Because I was a hard worker in high school, not the highest GPA ever, but a really good SAT score (99th percentile) but the school I go to is kinda "easy" to get accepted to and average scores and gpa are kinda low. I don't want medical schools to think of me as a "slacker." I ask because I constantly hear that where you go for undergrad matters.

Thank you again!
@LACMA
1) check with the schools you intend to apply to. You may have to go elsewhere (in the summer, maybe) to take the Physics II lab. Does your school have a premed office? What advice does the school have on this matter? Hasn't anyone at your school been premed? (Maybe your school has a consortium arrangement with a neighboring school?)
2) There really isn't a good way to say "I could have done better". You do have a chance to list how you paid for school and I have sometime noted where students had large merit aid or need based aid at a lower tier school that they might have been motivated by financial considerations in choosing to attend where they did. the only way to counteract where you are is to do as well as you possibly can and rock the MCAT when the time comes. An exceptional MCAT score shuts up the critics.

If I will have 3 summers worth of full-time research and 4 semesters worth of part-time/full-time research (for my senior thesis), will I be asked why I am not doing MD/PhD if I end up deciding not to go for an MD/PhD? Assuming I also have demonstrated that I am interested in and very much exposed to a clinical/healthcare setting (student health groups, health related community service, 1-1.5 years undergrad +3 years done in HS of hospital volunteering, many shadowing hours in different specialties), is it alright for me to say I just really enjoyed doing research as an undergrad, took advantage of these resources at my university and elsewhere, but do not expect to do much with a PhD? Or will having this much research and not going for an MD/PhD hurt me, or raise concerns?

Also, if I am not admitted to the MD/PhD or MTSP program, will my application be viewed differently if rolled over to MD-only?
@centillion
I would not ask anyone who has done a lot of research why they are not applying MSTP. That is a good option but only if you want it. I'd assume that someone who doesn't apply doesn't want that type of career.
I hate to say it but the MSTP applicants who get rolled over almost never do well in the fight for an interview.... it is usually so late in the cycle before the MSTP office puts them in the MD pool and, ya' gotta figure that these folks will take an MSTP slot elsewhere over an MD-only spot here so why waste our time and theirs? If you are a good candidate for MSTP go for it but don't assume that being considered for both will make you a shoo-in for MD only.

Hi @LizzyM , thanks for doing this

Have you ever come across an applicant who was charged with accusations against them, such as plagiarism? What if this account of plagiarism isn't considered as an institutional action by the university, but the student just wanted to cover her bases on the AMCAS?

How does such a thing factor into your decision of acceptance vs rejecting an applicant?
@GypsyHummus
Yes, I have seen an applicant who had an institutional action (IA) over plagiarism. How can plagiarism not be an institutional action?? I guess if you were accused, fought and were found not guilty of the charges leveled against you, then you need not report it. If you reported it anyway, to "cover your bases", you are more likely to have struck out when it comes to making in to admission.

Without exception that I can think of, a student with a record of plagiarism will not get admitted as long as I draw breath.

I have one last question. Do people ever bring stuff to show the interviewer during the interview? What type of items are acceptable? Do you feel this helps or hurt the person?

It is rare for anyone to bring something to show during the interview. Sometimes they'll bring a reprint of a paper.
On my last question you said thick eyeliner is out. For a girl who doesn't usually wear make up do you think it would be better to show up with no make up instead of attempting to put on make up. Or would that be seen as unprofessional?
How would you show up to see patients in the clinic? Practice whatever it takes to look like you'll look when you see patients.

Do you believe in the interviewing for the waitlist ideology late in the application cycle (January/February interviews), or would you say these late interviews are more along the lines of being on a lower - but still acceptable - position on the staircase in your analogy?
@rfenzo
My school does not interview for the waitlist. This year we've seen no decline in applicant quality over time, either.

Hi @LizzyM, thanks for doing this!

I am applying this cycle with a strong GPA (both >3.85) and 33 MCAT, although a 7 on the verbal section, a lot of clinical experience and a little bit of research too. How much do you think that 7 will hurt me? (I've had 4 interviews so far)

Also, what interview advice would you give to people who feel they arent good interviewers?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

@ezzyboy622
You know that a 7 is not good. You know that it is holding you back but with a combined 26 in the other two sections, I can see why you aren't retaking. That said, I think that you should spend the next 4 months prepping the hell out of the verbal section and scheduling a retake for May. You'll be ready to apply early next cycle if you need and if you get an offer this cycle, just cancel the exam date.

If you feel that you aren't a good interviewer, practice! Put some of the frequently asked questions on flash cards and just think... don't write... about your responses. Don't memorize a script but be prepared for whatever you might be asked. I'm stunned at the applicants who when asked who'd they'd like to have dinner with (I don't ask this but some people I know do) they fumble around and have a poorly justified answer. Be prepared for these questions. Check the interview feedback on studentdoctor.net and figure out what questions are common at multiple schools.

I'm in my application year right now, and I am doing research with no clinical volunteering as of yet. I've applied for a bunch of clinical positions but they have all rejected me and/or said they were full. I have a couple more leads now, and hopefully one of them will pan out within the next few weeks. My question is, does this look bad to adcoms? I am trying my best to find more clinical experience but it's been very challenging, it really doesn't seem like my city is in need of volunteers. I don't want it to appear like I don't enjoy clinical experience or like I would prefer to be locked up in the lab all day. How can I communicate this to adcoms without sounding like I'm making excuses/whining/bull****ting?
@jetsfan1234
Have you done any volunteering of any kind? If not, it will look bad. If you have, and if you have been in a clinical environment as a shadow or employee, it won't look too bad because you have clinical exposure (close enough to smell patients, as you may know) and you have shown yourself to be someone who is willing to serve others even if in a non-clinical capacity.

Thank you so much for answering! I feel a lot better about registering for the MCAT so early on and hopefully other schools will feel the same way as you!

Another question - does the committee take into account the level of pre-reqs fulfilled by the applicant? For example at my school there are two introductory physics classes, one of which has no calculus and one of which is calculus based and usually for physics majors. Would taking the latter be considered a positive in any way?
@shoopshoop
I'd like to think that they do, and sometimes the committee LOR will point out that the applicant took the harder sequence but most of the time we don't know and the evidence shows that most adcoms don't take difficulty of pre-reqs into account. https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf see page 7.

Bummer :/

Any under-appreciated/overlooked aspects to consider when considering fit?
I want to target my applications as much as possible to conserve the $$.
@karayaa
If you are willing to provide your information on "What are My Chances" someone might be willing to help you pare down your list. I can't think of any tips that haven't been mentions a thousand times.

Thanks for all of your insight into the admission process. I have two questions that I hope you can answer:

1) What are your thoughts on AmeriCorps service? It seems to get knocked a lot because it's not as "prestigious" as TFA or Peace Corps, but do you think adcoms generally see it that way?

2) Do you have any advice for multiple time reapplicants? I'm not sure if your school sees many, but if you have, what kind of improvements are needed to be competative a second third and fourth time around?

Thanks!
@lalalaaaaaa
1) AmeriCorps is a good gig for a gap year. I think that adcoms might think more highly of TFA and Peace Corps but they do respect AmeriCorps.
2) Oh heavens, we almost never see a third time applicant. You might have better luck asking this question in the reapplicant forum... those who have been successful as reapplicants may have some tips for you.

Hi LizzyM, happy holidays! :)

Do you find it off-putting when an applicant has a lot of research experience but is applying MD-only? I've been researching at a lab for a semester now and plan to continue for the next 3-4 years because I find the lab's focus very interesting and my PI is amazing. In addition, I may have the chance to research at institutions abroad for about 6 months and will definitely jump at them if I am accepted. I had considered applying MD/PhD and decided that route didn't align with my goals because I definitely want to focus more on patient care and interaction than on research. Basically, I will probably have a lot of research experience when I apply because I do like research but I can't imagine myself doing it for the rest of my life and I definitely can't imagine myself working through the stress of applying for grants.
@dechristine
No, and your justification is very reasonable.

@karayaa
If you are willing to provide your information on "What are My Chances" someone might be willing to help you pare down your list. I can't think of any tips that haven't been mentions a thousand times.
thanks, I'll post over there in March/April after I get the updated MSAR.
and thanks for all the advice you've shared in this thread! it's been super helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.