Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I enjoyed reading this tread and thanks for creating it. How does age play a factor in choosing a candidate?

I am 52 y/o male, US-IMG applying this round. I am applying to 165 programs all FM and IMG friendly. My concern is my age. Does the PC or PD look on this in a negative way? I am in great health and used to be a computer programer for 20+ years and a part-time personal fitness trainer. Good LORs ... All US Clinical experience, no gaps ... Step 1 <210, Step 2 <220, Passed CS (All First attempts). A friend of mine with similar scores from my school had 23 interviews but he was 20 years younger. Just wondering how age plays into the screening process.

Thanks!
I think I can answer this one accurately, and I think it's been answered before.

It is illegal to discriminate based on age. However, realistically, it will make a difference to some degree. Everyone has biases, consciously or unconsciously. If they can tell you are old by your application, it SHOULDN'T affect your application, but it still might somewhat. Same thing in an interview.

I'm sure there are some PDs who may even WANT a mature level-headed resident. With age comes wisdom! I think you have a great shot still. Don't let your age deter you. Many other older IMGs have made it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Question I have is regarding personal statement update.

This has been answered in the past but the answers were before the web based system.

Let's say yesterday evening I submitted my application and wanted to change my personal statement.
Around midnight, I updated the personal statement in the same text box as the original with additional changes.

And do programs look at applications right away on the 15th, or they wait a few days? I'm guessing if they look after edit, they only see the updated personal statement?

Last edited:
Greetings!
First, this thread is approved by an administrator for the forums.

I am a program coordinator at a major medical center and have been lurking here for a while. I have noticed many questions about the program side of ERAS, interview questions, process questions, and what to wear to an interview. Since I have been a coordinator for over five years, and I love what I do, I have started this thread to answer any questions you may have about the whole interview process or anything else.

I will not respond to questions about institutions or specific programs (i.e. MGH IM residency).

So, fire away, let me know how I can help you.

Freddie
Hi
Thank you very much for doing this. Could you please tell me how filtering works on ERAS? Should programs download the application to be able to add filters or can they add filters before downloading them?
Thanks

Question I have is regarding personal statement update.

This has been answered in the past but the answers were before the web based system.

Let's say yesterday evening I submitted my application and wanted to change my personal statement.
Around midnight, I updated the personal statement in the same text box as the original with additional changes.
My question is do programs automatically download the file and see the old and new personal statement or the most recent update with the edits?

And do programs download right away on the 15th, or they wait a few days?
From what they have previously said, if you update your personal statement, they will only be able to see the NEWEST version. So they will see the updated PS only (unless they physically printed out the old one, which is VERY unlikely this early on).

Your second question has spawned a question from me, which I'm hoping someone can answer. I haven't found a clear answer yet.

QUESTION: I submitted my application a few minutes ago. I am trying to understand what consequences there are submitting late. The whole "downloading" applications sort of seems like a remnant from the past, since program directors are generally looking at applications online now. I'm wondering if a program director can clarify what they see in ERAS. Like if there IS a way where they would only look at those applicants that submitted on time. So, for instance, if they set a filter of only looking at applicants with scores over 240, will my application get ADDED to their list automatically when I submit my application (if I had scores over 240), or will it not get automatically added because they already searched and mine wasn't there yet?

Hi
Thank you very much for doing this. Could you please tell me how filtering works on ERAS? Should programs download the application to be able to add filters or can they add filters before downloading them?
Thanks

Are you all even reading this thread? Or just posting questions? Because every single question posted the last few days has been answered at least half a dozen times in this thread alone.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi
Thanks

ERAS provides a little more than 50 ready-made filters, and I can make an unlimited number of my own filters. There is no more downloading of applications--you apply and programs can access your application. If you apply to my program, then you are in the broad data set and I will use filters to speed the process of finding the applicants that best meet our interview criteria. Your application may come through using some filters, and not others. I can switch between filters, combine filters, and make new filters easily. Every time I adjust the filter settings, I see that subset from the full applicant pool.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

Due to a mixup, one of my already assigned LORs had to be updated. My letter writer was able to update this on his end but I didn't know if programs would automatically know that this letter had been changed and would be able to see that there was a new version.

Are programs notified of changes like this? I was going to call programs to tell them that this letter has been updated but I didn't know if this would be seen as annoying. Unfortunately, it is important that they look at the new version. The old one was incomplete.

Hi,
I am a IMG-green card holder with very low score but very good research background in neurology! I had several research grant in neurology, ... in terms of applying for residency, do I have more chances of matching in neuro or radio?

Hello all,

Due to a mixup, one of my already assigned LORs had to be updated. My letter writer was able to update this on his end but I didn't know if programs would automatically know that this letter had been changed and would be able to see that there was a new version.

Are programs notified of changes like this? I was going to call programs to tell them that this letter has been updated but I didn't know if this would be seen as annoying. Unfortunately, it is important that they look at the new version. The old one was incomplete.

This has been asked and answered like 4 times in the past couple days. No it won't matter, programs rarely even look at LORs until it's time for interviews.

Hi,
I am a IMG-green card holder with very low score but very good research background in neurology! I had several research grant in neurology, ... in terms of applying for residency, do I have more chances of matching in neuro or radio?

I have answered this in another thread in general residency issues already....

I have a department letter situation I need help with and no one else on here seems to have a situation quite like mine. Due to an error, my department chair letter information was not included in one of my letters (it's a long story, one doctor thought another was going to be writing my department letter.) As a result, I assigned 4 personal letters to programs and cannot de-assign or add any new letters. The solution we have brokered is to change one of my personal letters into a department letter by reuploading. This physician does write department letters anyway, they just hadn't planned to for me. He has told me this will happen by Monday. My questions are:

1) My app now looks complete, in terms of LORs at least, with 4 letters. Is it likely programs have looked at it yet, thought I didn't have a department letter, and threw my app out? I still do not have a MSPE but my transcript is in.
2) When this letter is updated to include department letter info should I contact programs to tell them? I know other responses to posts about LORs on here had said programs don't look at LORs until later, but since this is my department letter, I was afraid they might look for that one or attempt to read it sooner.
3) My department letter will not be marked with the official "chair letter designation" on ERAS now. Will programs discard my app if they don't see that designation? Or will they be able to see that one of my letters is, in fact, a chair letter.

Last edited:
I have a department letter situation I need help with and no one else on here seems to have a situation quite like mine. Due to an error, my department chair letter information was not included in one of my letters (it's a long story, one doctor thought another was going to be writing my department letter.) As a result, I assigned 4 personal letters to programs and cannot de-assign or add any new letters. The solution we have brokered is to change one of my personal letters into a department letter by reuploading. This physician does write department letters anyway, they just hadn't planned to for me. He has told me this will happen by Monday. My questions are:

1) My app now looks complete, in terms of LORs at least, with 4 letters. Is it likely programs have looked at it yet, thought I didn't have a department letter, and threw my app out? I still do not have a MSPE but my transcript is in.
2) When this letter is updated to include department letter info should I contact programs to tell them? I know other responses to posts about LORs on here had said programs don't look at LORs until later, but since this is my department letter, I was afraid they might look for that one or attempt to read it sooner.
3) My department letter will not be marked with the official "chair letter designation" on ERAS now. Will programs discard my app if they don't see that designation? Or will they be able to see that one of my letters is, in fact, a chair letter.

I would probably just re-upload and leave it at that. Not checking the "dept lor" box isn't a huge deal, and there's nothing you can do about it now (unless you checked the box for one of your letters, then you could re-upload that one). The answer likely depends upon the field you are applying to. If it will make you sleep better for the next 8 weeks, you could write a short note via email to all of your programs. But it's probably overkill.

I would probably just re-upload and leave it at that. Not checking the "dept lor" box isn't a huge deal, and there's nothing you can do about it now (unless you checked the box for one of your letters, then you could re-upload that one). The answer likely depends upon the field you are applying to. If it will make you sleep better for the next 8 weeks, you could write a short note via email to all of your programs. But it's probably overkill.

Thank you aProgDirector. This has been eating me up with worry for the last few days. I'm applying to internal medicine. If that changes anything in terms of your advice. Most programs did ask for a chair letter unfortunately.

Thank you aProgDirector. This has been eating me up with worry for the last few days. I'm applying to internal medicine. If that changes anything in terms of your advice. Most programs did ask for a chair letter unfortunately.
In that case it definitely doesn't matter.

Please get off the internet and go have a beer.

Reactions: 2 users
A question for the coordinators,

I just got an interview invitation, 10pm on a Sunday night. Do you people sleep or have days off? Are you running 24/7 lest a moments distraction cause your programs to collapse without you?

A question for the coordinators,

I just got an interview invitation, 10pm on a Sunday night. Do you people sleep or have days off? Are you running 24/7 lest a moments distraction cause your programs to collapse without you?

Silly student.

Sleep is for kids.

Reactions: 3 users
@aProgDirector thanks for answering our questions on a Sunday evening, greatly appreciate it. I have three questions to ask if you could shed some light on it, please.

1. I had originally started my ERAS application last year, but due to some changes, I never applied to any programs or paid ERAS. At the time the only thing which was completed was my LORs. This year, I chose the option of having those previous LORs to be reuploaded onto ERAS. I just noticed now that the LORs have the blue boxes with the letters "PD", which represents "LOR author is a PD in a current/previous residency or fellowship where I trained. (Applies to Residents/Fellows ONLY)." I have already assigned these letters to programs, and I'm wondering if this is going to make a negative impact, since I'm actually applying for residency. :( There are 3 letters with this designation.

2. I wish I saw your post about the PS margins that you've recommended to people. I wrote my PS in Word with size 12 Calibri font and it comes out to be 3/4 of a page at 528 words. When I transferred it over to myERAS the PS came out to be half a page. I submitted my application on day 1, and made this realization tonight when I saw the "view" button. I want to go back and change it, and realize that most programs have already downloaded the application, so may not make a difference. However, I'm finding conflicting information if PDs will see an updated PS and will that look negatively on my application.

3. when I copy pasted my PS from word into the textbox, I reformatted my PS to make sure everything lined up properly, and the appropriate paragraphs are indented. i looked at my other PS submissions, and they're all unformatted having paragraph breaks in the middle of sentences. do PDs understand that this happens or will this be taken against me?

Last edited:
I have read through all 18 pages. I believe I am asking questions that have yet to be asked.

1) I received an email from a program stating that they are "Interested" and would like to "know more about me." The link on the email took me to a "Supplemental" application.
- Are all applicants given the supplemental app?
- What is worth mentioning on it?

2) Do PDs read personal statements when reviewing an application for the first time?

3) Picture worth > than a 1000 words?
- iPhone/Samsung pictures, do they cast a negative hue on app?
- Attractive vs not so attractive applicant, (how much), does it factor into decisions?

4) Attending Conferences during the interview season.
- Is it a good idea to approach the PD and request an interview?

I have read through all 18 pages. I believe I am asking questions that have yet to be asked.

1) I received an email from a program stating that they are "Interested" and would like to "know more about me." The link on the email took me to a "Supplemental" application.

2) Do PDs read personal statements when reviewing an application for the first time?

- Attractive vs not so attractive applicant, (how much), does it factor into decisions?

1) I don't think the supplemental application is the norm, but if a program sends you one you should complete it to the best of your ability if you are interested in the program. Hopefully they will give you some prompts as to what they are looking for or some questions to answer. If not, contact the program to see if they can give you some specifics.

2) Some yes, some no. There's no way to know which programs do or don't. It's not something applicants need to worry about.

3) The photo you submit is your first impression--make it nice. Smile. Don't send a selfie. My program screens photos until interviews, so attractiveness doesn't factor into invitation decisions at all. I don't know how common that policy is among programs.

4) I think it's smart to introduce yourself to the PD and PC of programs where you are rotating/observing/attending conference. It won't guarantee an interview but might make it more likely.

@aProgDirector thanks for answering our questions on a Sunday evening, greatly appreciate it. I have three questions to ask if you could shed some light on it, please.

1. I had originally started my ERAS application last year, but due to some changes, I never applied to any programs or paid ERAS. At the time the only thing which was completed was my LORs. This year, I chose the option of having those previous LORs to be reuploaded onto ERAS. I just noticed now that the LORs have the blue boxes with the letters "PD", which represents "LOR author is a PD in a current/previous residency or fellowship where I trained. (Applies to Residents/Fellows ONLY)." I have already assigned these letters to programs, and I'm wondering if this is going to make a negative impact, since I'm actually applying for residency. :( There are 3 letters with this designation.

2. I wish I saw your post about the PS margins that you've recommended to people. I wrote my PS in Word with size 12 Calibri font and it comes out to be 3/4 of a page at 528 words. When I transferred it over to myERAS the PS came out to be half a page. I submitted my application on day 1, and made this realization tonight when I saw the "view" button. I want to go back and change it, and realize that most programs have already downloaded the application, so may not make a difference. However, I'm finding conflicting information if PDs will see an updated PS and will that look negatively on my application.

3. when I copy pasted my PS from word into the textbox, I reformatted my PS to make sure everything lined up properly, and the appropriate paragraphs are indented. i looked at my other PS submissions, and they're all unformatted having paragraph breaks in the middle of sentences. do PDs understand that this happens or will this be taken against me?
Seriously man...every single one of your questions has already been answered.

Seriously man...every single one of your questions has already been answered.

I'm sorry. Just a stressed out time and was frantic on getting an answer since aProgD had posted just 9 minutes prior to my post.

1) I don't think the supplemental application is the norm, but if a program sends you one you should complete it to the best of your ability if you are interested in the program. Hopefully they will give you some prompts as to what they are looking for or some questions to answer. If not, contact the program to see if they can give you some specifics.

2) Some yes, some no. There's no way to know which programs do or don't. It's not something applicants need to worry about.

3) The photo you submit is your first impression--make it nice. Smile. Don't send a selfie. My program screens photos until interviews, so attractiveness doesn't factor into invitation decisions at all. I don't know how common that policy is among programs.

4) I think it's smart to introduce yourself to the PD and PC of programs where you are rotating/observing/attending conference. It won't guarantee an interview but might make it more likely.

Thank you!

Got an interview invite early this morning through my eras inbox...I replied to the message within 10 minutes of getting the invite with my top 3 date selections and then never heard back....now I'm wondering if I should have emailed back instead of using the eras messaging? When you click reply on those messages, does it go back to whoever sent it to you or is it an automated type of message? It didn't say "do not reply to this" or anything

Got an interview invite early this morning through my eras inbox...I replied to the message within 10 minutes of getting the invite with my top 3 date selections and then never heard back....now I'm wondering if I should have emailed back instead of using the eras messaging? When you click reply on those messages, does it go back to whoever sent it to you or is it an automated type of message? It didn't say "do not reply to this" or anything
You did everything right. Give it a day or so and then email. I assure you that, on the 2nd business day of the season, all of the IV spots have not been given out.

1. This is no big deal. People mischeck this all the time. It's not worth worrying about.

2. If you update your PS, no one will really be able to tell. It replaces your old PS. The only way anyone would know is if they have printed / saved your old PS, which is unlikely. That said, changing your PS is unlikely to change anything. Making it longer doesn't make it better. If it says what you want to say, leave it alone.

3. It doesn't just "happen". You shouldn't paste from Word into the textbox. This usually brings Word formatting with it. Instead, you should copy from Word into Notepad, and then from NotePad into the textbox. Or, Word may have an option to paste without formatting. If there are funny breaks in your text, it's because you've got formatting crap in there. Will anyone "care" or "hold it against you"? Probably not.

Agree with my esteemed colleague. Would add that supplemental applications are a new growth industry. Some include supplemental fees. All are some sort of attempt to cut down on the growth of applications per applicant. The ACGME frowns upon the practice, but that's not enforceable.

As far as Q#4, I assume you're asking "If I'm at a regional/national meeting, should I go up and introduce myself to any PD I can find?" I agree with mcl that if you're visiting a specific program for a reason, it's totally worth it. If you're just at some conference together, I'm less excited by the idea. Apparently some conferences specifically build this into the agenda -- in that case, have at it. If you have a poster and I'm reviewing it, of course it's a great idea. Simply accosting people at a conference is probably not a good idea. In no case would I "ask for an interview". Introduce yourself as an applicant, tell me something about yourself, make a good impression, and leave it at that.

How important is an applicant's passion and interest for a specialty to a program? I know of a surprising amount of people who don't feel strongly about the specialty they're applying to, are applying to multiple specialties or are just lackadaisical about their application for competitive specialties. How do programs view these types of applicants? Can they tell if an applicant is legit on interview day? I am applying to a specialty I've been passionate about for years, I'm applying broadly and will attend as many interviews as possible, but how I can I stand out above those who may not be as passionate as myself?

Last edited:
Again, I read through the 18 pages and believe I am asking a question that has yet to be asked.

Excuse the analogy, but like Walmart, my family is everywhere. Nevertheless, I only claim to have family at a region if they are my/my Fiancee's first degree relative, or my/my Fiancee's first-cousins. Poor woman, she will be moving wherever I go. Therefore, I do not feel that I am being disingenuous. However, I would like to know:

- do PD/PC automatically dismiss it as a lie whenever they are contacted by an applicant stating that they have family in the region?

- how far is too far? Is a 3 hour car drive from the program w/in the accepted range?

- are 1st cousins fair game to be claimed?

Hope you are all enjoying the season. If not, then rest assured, there are people like me laying awake at night worrying about sillier things. ☺

Last edited:
am doing a rotation at a residency site but a separate specialty from what I'm applying for. What's the best way to ask the program for an interview while I'm on location? Thanks

How important is an applicant's passion and interest for a specialty to a program?

This is important for sure, but somewhat difficult to ellucidate during this process. If someone is insincere about a specialty or (much more commonly) a particular program, it comes out during the interview process. Be friendly, energetic and excited about your field - it is definitely a positive. Some individuals are great actors, I suppose, but you can only worry about yourself.

- do PD/PC automatically dismiss it as a lie whenever they are contacted by an applicant stating that they have family in the region?

This was a strange post. It seems like you are going around to many programs claiming to have family nearby. PD's don't have the time or interest to look into if you are being truthful when you say this. Having family in the area might give you a slight edge if you are on the brink of an interview, I suppose, but wouldn't surprise me if it makes no impact at all for most programs

For what it's worth I didn't get a residency interview in my home town where my entire immediate family lives - I called the coordinator in January and was essentially told too bad (in a nice way).

This is important for sure, but somewhat difficult to ellucidate during this process. If someone is insincere about a specialty or (much more commonly) a particular program, it comes out during the interview process. Be friendly, energetic and excited about your field - it is definitely a positive. Some individuals are great actors, I suppose, but you can only worry about yourself.

This was a strange post. It seems like you are going around to many programs claiming to have family nearby. PD's don't have the time or interest to look into if you are being truthful when you say this. Having family in the area might give you a slight edge if you are on the brink of an interview, I suppose, but wouldn't surprise me if it makes no impact at all for most programs

For what it's worth I didn't get a residency interview in my home town where my entire immediate family lives - I called the coordinator in January and was essentially told too bad (in a nice way).

Ha... I alpreciate the honesty.

So I attended the AAFP Conference and gave several programs my contract info. I also plan to attend the FMEC conference where program directors will attend as well.

1.) Is it a good idea to approach said PDs that I would be interested in an IV and I have applied?
2.) When or should I even contract PDs from FMEC that I’m still interested and would like an IV

So I attended the AAFP Conference and gave several programs my contract info. I also plan to attend the FMEC conference where program directors will attend as well.

1.) Is it a good idea to approach said PDs that I would be interested in an IV and I have applied?
2.) When or should I even contract PDs from FMEC that I’m still interested and would like an IV

Be professional and don't bother anyone regarding interviews, just introduce yourself and network well. Come late November, early December, if there's a program you're really interested in, it may not hurt to reach out, possibly reminding them of how you met at a conference.

Again, I read through the 18 pages and believe I am asking a question that has yet to be asked.

Excuse the analogy, but like Walmart, my family is everywhere. Nevertheless, I only claim to have family at a region if they are my/my Fiancee's first degree relative, or my/my Fiancee's first-cousins. Poor woman, she will be moving wherever I go. Therefore, I do not feel that I am being disingenuous. However, I would like to know:

- how far is too far? Is a 3 hour car drive from the program w/in the accepted range?

- are 1st cousins fair game to be claimed?

Hope you are all enjoying the season. If not, then rest assured, there are people like me laying awake at night worrying about sillier things. ☺

Regional family is almost entirely meaningless. I've long been curious about how California PDs look at this issue because their programs are the ones notorious for putting a hard filter on applicants they judge unlikely to be real candidates for staying. Mostly, I would guess, that this comes down to where YOU, the applicant, grew up. I have many students who are from Mountain View, Bakersfield, etc. who wish to return to Cali to train and live. If you don't have that kind of situation, you can pretty much forget worrying about this.

Washington and Oregon seem less restrictive. And most other programs will look at place of birth/long term retention as a side issue. It's rarely (but not never) a make-or-break issue. Again, though, it's about the applicant, not their family.

I have a question on writing short thank-you emails. Sometimes I don't know whether it's appropriate to email back the program director or coordinator (or if the other side is expecting an email). I don't want to seem annoying or email too much, because sometimes even quick "thank you" replies might be annoying. But if someone is expecting a thank you email back, then I don't want to omit it. As the program director/coordinator/someone involved in the admissions process, would you expect a quick thank you email back in these situations?

1) You get an interview invite email. The email asks you to schedule it on ERAS or another website.
2) The program director sends you a generic 'we're so happy to interview you. let me know if you have any questions' email (that is not part of the initial interview invite). The program coordinator is cc'd on the email.
3) You emailed the program coordinator, and he or she answers your question (sometimes I just write 'thanks in advance' to my original email so I don't have to reply back; is that ok?)

And just to clarify, after we've interviewed at a program, who do we write thank you emails or notes to? I'm assuming you write it to each interviewer personally through their institution email. Do you also write thank you emails to the program director? The program coordinator?

Last edited:
I have a question on writing short thank-you emails. Sometimes I don't know whether it's appropriate to email back the program director or coordinator (or if the other side is expecting an email). I don't want to seem annoying or email too much, because sometimes even quick "thank you" replies might be annoying. But if someone is expecting a thank you email back, then I don't want to omit it. As the program director/coordinator/someone involved in the admissions process, would you expect a quick thank you email back in these situations?

1) You get an interview invite email. The email asks you to schedule it on ERAS or another website.
No. Follow directions.
2) The program director sends you a generic 'we're so happy to interview you. let me know if you have any questions' email (that is not part of the initial interview invite). The program coordinator is cc'd on the email.
Do you have (real) questions? Yes. No questions? No
3) You emailed the program coordinator, and he or she answers your question (sometimes I just write 'thanks in advance' to my original email so I don't have to reply back; is that ok?)
No
And just to clarify, after we've interviewed at a program, who do we write thank you emails or notes to? I'm assuming you write it to each interviewer personally through their institution email. Do you also write thank you emails to the program director? The program coordinator?
Asked and answered about 3 dozen times. Do what your mother raised you to do. As an interviewer, thank you notes/cards get recycled (I'm off-site and can't be bothered to send them to the PC); thank you emails get forwarded to the PC.

Thank you for your interest in our program!
Your application for residency to the Department XXXXXXXXXX has been received and reviewed. Due to the overwhelming number of applicants this year, we were forced to make some incredibly difficult decisions. At this time, we have placed your application on hold. All of our interview slots are booked. If we have cancellations, applications are pulled from the holds. We will contact you if you should be selected for interview or if we have any questions.
Hello there, I received a message above from a program i applied to this morning, do you think it was a nice rejection message ? and do you think i should keep hoping or no ?
Thank you very much

Hello there, I received a message above from a program i applied to this morning, do you think it was a nice rejection message ? and do you think i should keep hoping or no ?
Thank you very much
Did you read what was written there? I think it's pretty clear. You haven't been invited, and you haven't been rejected. Feel free to invest as much psychic energy in reading these tea leaves as you'd like. But you'd be better served by going for a walk and then having a drink.

Did you read what was written there? I think it's pretty clear. You haven't been invited, and you haven't been rejected. Feel free to invest as much psychic energy in reading these tea leaves as you'd like. But you'd be better served by going for a walk and then having a drink.
Thank you so much for your post, i know I've been nervous and worry too much and that is a normal thing to have, but please corny jokes are not helping at all so stop it and please dont respond back i wont look at it.
And btw this question was directed to Frederica not you

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your post, i know I've been nervous and worry too much and that is a normal thing to have, but please corny jokes are not helping at all so stop it and please dont respond back i wont look at it.
And btw this question was directed to Frederica not you

@gutonc is not violating the TOS with his post. Your post was made in a public forum. He is allowed to make any comment that falls within the TOS. Telling him not to post a "corny joke" which was actually realistic advice? Not gonna happen.

74d.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
This thread is asking a program director named Frederica not anyone, but since stupidity is contagious i'll make it easy for you especially the kiddo above me .
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit issssss notttttttt yourrrrrrr busssssiii neeesssss stoooooop stickkkkkking yourrrrr nooooossssseee innnnn betwwwwweeeen pppppeeeooooppppleeeeee I Caaaaaaaaaaaaan doooooooo whhhhaaaaaat iiiiiii waaaaaaannnnntttttt ttooooooo
next time when you post please check your IQ and make sure it hits above your room temperatures, otherwise STOP !.
peace.

Last edited:
This thread is asking a program director named Frederica not anyone, but since stupidity is contagious i'll make it easy for you especially the kiddo above me .
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit issssss notttttttt yourrrrrrr busssssiii neeesssss stoooooop stickkkkkking yourrrrr nooooossssseee innnnn betwwwwweeeen pppppeeeooooppppleeeeee I Caaaaaaaaaaaaan doooooooo whhhhaaaaaat iiiiiii waaaaaaannnnntttttt ttooooooo
next time when you post please check your IQ and make sure it hits above your room temperatures, otherwise STOP !.
peace.

I bet PDs would love a random glitch where everyone on SDN lost their anonymity for like an hour

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
peace.

As a supposed five year member, you should know better than that. Anything you post on these forums is open to comment by anyone else. If you don't like it, you're welcome to find another site.

giphy.gif

I left a lot of volunteer experiences and activities off my CV, because I hadn't done anything substantial and I thought it should be reserved for that purpose on ERAS. Terrible decision since those areas are essentially blank after certifying. Anyone know if there are program filters based on activities/volunteering? I was hoping grades and PS might be the determining factor in obtaining interviews and then I could just email my typical CV to programs who offer me an interview, but I'm not sure if I'll even get as many interviews should I be screened out based on some type of filter for volunteering and such.

I left a lot of volunteer experiences and activities off my CV, because I hadn't done anything substantial and I thought it should be reserved for that purpose on ERAS. Terrible decision since those areas are essentially blank after certifying. Anyone know if there are program filters based on activities/volunteering? I was hoping grades and PS might be the determining factor in obtaining interviews and then I could just email my typical CV to programs who offer me an interview, but I'm not sure if I'll even get as many interviews should I be screened out based on some type of filter for volunteering and such.
It is very unlikely that anyone screens based upon number and/or type of experiences.

Good lord I hope not. Volunteering and EC stuff is to make you feel better about yourself and to get into med school. After that, nobody cares.

FWIW, filters are done on discrete data. So programs could theoretically filter on the presence or absence of volunteer stuff, but not the content.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
peace.
Wow! Hope you do not show this side of your character on the interview trail! (Or you do, so PDs can save their programs and residents from you!)
As others mentioned, any post here is open to the comments by all members. You'd better use direct messaging if you want to ask from a specific member. Just click on their name and use "conversation".

peace.
And you may have noticed that, this 2 year old, very active thread, also has answers from other PCs like @mcl. And PDs like @aProgDirector and @IMPD. Not to mention a few of us who sit on residency and fellowship review committees.

And it's been almost a month since @Frederica posted here...I'm sure she's pretty busy right now.

So when you get a legitimate, correct, answer to your question, perhaps you should consider humbly accepting it and moving on.

When we go to an interview should we bring anything besides a cell phone, keys, and a wallet? Copies of our updated CV's, a little notepad and pen to write things down, copy of our ECFMG certificate, I don't know, anything else that I'm forgetting that might be relevant? Or is a smile and charming personality all that's needed.

Thanks

Why would your keys be useful at an interview (leave them in the hotel room or your bag)? Seriously, you are overthinking every step, relax. We aren't going to dress you or help you pack.