Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applying for IM.

Several programs I'm applying to require a Chair's letter. I did not designate the Chair's letter; it does not have the "DC" tag. However, the letter does have a title indicating it was written by the Chair. At first, I didn't think it was a big deal, since the title specified the letter came from the Chair. However, I am starting to worry that programs requiring a Chair's letter have filtered out my application because the letter does not have a "DC" tag. Does such a filter exist? Can anyone provide some information regarding my situation?

Thanks!

I'm not in IM and have never applied into that specialty. But I've seen this question asked a million times in the past month and the answer is always the same - it doesn't matter. It's there, and they will see it by opening your application.

No one is filtering your application based on letters (well, if you literally have zero letters you might get filtered out) - we don't have time to review the details for the most part until an actual interview.

Members don't see this ad.

So I got word that a project I had worked on was accepted for publication. I think I saw it mentioned somewhere in here, but tried searching a few terms and couldn't find it. What's the consensus on emailing some programs (obviously not all, thinking about just some of my reach programs) an updated CV to let them know of this. Also, we have to revise a few things, so it isn't in the journal as of yet. Would it be better to wait until it becomes official and/or just bring it up on interview days? My concern is that I'm applying to a relatively competitive field and I may not get interviews at some of the more academic/research oriented program without having a publication on my CV. Thanks.

I think it depends on the program. I am not checking to see if we have received any new applications, not sure if my PD is either. He checks all applications, does not rely on me.

I'm not sure how to advise you on what to do. Unless you have a darn good reason (e.g. stuck in the jungles of Africa saving lives as part of a sub-I and had no internet access, or even a computer) you did not to apply to these programs at the start, they will know they are your second choice and may not be interested.
I applied to a few extra programs this week. Given that it is nearly mid-October, does it look bad on my application that I didn't apply the day applications open up? If the subject matter does come up during interviews, how do you suggest I go about answering why I applied 1 month after?

I applied to a few extra programs this week. Given that it is nearly mid-October, does it look bad on my application that I didn't apply the day applications open up? If the subject matter does come up during interviews, how do you suggest I go about answering why I applied 1 month after?
Nope.

Half or more of my interviews came from my 2nd and 3rd rounds of applications in early and late October.

Reactions: 2 users
Dear Program Director and/or Program Coordinator:

I'm an IMG, GC holder, YOG 2008, with recent pediatric training in 2015 (three-year residency program) outside the US. I have tons of clinical experience in rural and underserved communities, and volunteering work in my country, 2 months of USCE with 2 US LoRs and 2 Non US LoRs (all waived). I'm applying to pediatrics +90 programs. I'm going to apply to family medicine in this 2nd wave (+50), so far 10 rejections, no invitations yet

My stats are:
Step 1 200 (1st attempt) I had a bad exam method, I didn't sleep days before the exam
Step 2 CK 227 (1st attempt)
Step 2 CS (2nd attempt) I was on my PGY-2 Hem/Onc peds rotation in my home country, underestimated the exam, big mistake

My questions are:
- Should I start sending a letter of interest to the programs that I am most interested, starting next week?
- Will help me to get an invitation if I take Step 3 at the beginning of December? so I can have my results back at the end of Dec/beginning of Jan and email again?
- If I don't match, what should I do? My husband is an American, he has a great job and he is very successful, and we really want to continue our life here in the US. What are can I do to increase my possibilities and match the next cycle that PDs and PCs really take in consideration? And If I can't practice medicine again (which would really break my heart because I have been doing this for 8 years), what other career paths related to medicine can I follow with my background? without drowning in debt of course

I appreciate this thread and I wish success to each and everyone of you. Thank you.

So I'm a DO student applying to both matches but now leaning more towards ACGME match based on number of interviews. Have an interview coming up at a program that is dually accredited but for some reason I applied to them through the AOA side. Would it be a bad idea to ask them at the interview if I could instead rank them through the ACGME match? Can I even do that or would I have to submit a new application to them?

So I'm a DO student applying to both matches but now leaning more towards ACGME match based on number of interviews. Have an interview coming up at a program that is dually accredited but for some reason I applied to them through the AOA side. Would it be a bad idea to ask them at the interview if I could instead rank them through the ACGME match? Can I even do that or would I have to submit a new application to them?
No reason not to ask.

The answer to the rest of the question will be dependent on the program and their answer.

Nope.

Half or more of my interviews came from my 2nd and 3rd rounds of applications in early and late October.

Gutonc - What is your opinion on sending a polite email to a program that you have not heard from telling them that you will be in the area next month and wanted to know your application status. I see you are still sending out IV's and wanted your opinion. Thanks

Gutonc - What is your opinion on sending a polite email to a program that you have not heard from telling them that you will be in the area next month and wanted to know your application status.
That's fine.

I see you are still sending out IV's and wanted your opinion. Thanks
I don't know what you mean by this. I don't send out interviews for anything.

No reason not to ask.

The answer to the rest of the question will be dependent on the program and their answer.

Is this something I should call and ask the program coordinator about ahead of time instead of waiting til the interview?

If I already emailed the PC with interest but didn't hear back for over a week, is there anything else I can do? I don't want to be annoying, but it's my first-choice program in a place I have strong regional ties to. That said, it's also a competitive program.... in a desirable location. Any thoughts?

If I already emailed the PC with interest but didn't hear back for over a week, is there anything else I can do? I don't want to be annoying, but it's my first-choice program in a place I have strong regional ties to. That said, it's also a competitive program.... in a desirable location. Any thoughts?

I'm also in a similar position, what's the general consensus on calling vs e-mail? Is calling seen as too pushy?

I'm also in a similar position, what's the general consensus on calling vs e-mail? Is calling seen as too pushy?
1 email. To the PC.

Just 1. Then you're done.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, can I get your advice on whether I should call the program coordinator directly to tell them that I already retook my Step 2 CS in Sept. I found out in August that I didn't pass :( Or do you think its too late at this point? Thanks :)

I've read almost this entire thread and did not see this posted...

I'm a DO applying to only MD programs and applied without releasing my COMLEX scores, and I'm concerned this may be affecting the number of interview invites I'm getting. I did have a first-time pass on all USMLE 1/CK/CS sent with my initial application.

I didn't refrain from sending COMLEX because the scores were bad (they were more or less on par with my USMLE scores in terms of std deviations from the mean). I didn't send them because I didn't think the programs would need that information if I have USMLE's present.
However, some of my fellow students said that some programs may be screening for pass on the COMLEX exams since that is, in the end, the DO licensing exam. I guess I will add the COMLEX now, but is it possible I affected my interview invites because of this?

Greetings!
First, this thread is approved by an administrator for the forums.

I am a program coordinator at a major medical center and have been lurking here for a while. I have noticed many questions about the program side of ERAS, interview questions, process questions, and what to wear to an interview. Since I have been a coordinator for over five years, and I love what I do, I have started this thread to answer any questions you may have about the whole interview process or anything else.

I will not respond to questions about institutions or specific programs (i.e. MGH IM residency).

So, fire away, let me know how I can help you.

Freddie

I have a question! Why do coordinators frequently not respond?

Because they're busy as s*** and get hundreds of emails a day. Especially between September and March (and then again in late June to early August).

Since you're in the post-residency situation and requesting things of your program this time of year, you should expect to be a very low priority for them.

Because they're busy as s*** and get hundreds of emails a day. Especially between September and March (and then again in late June to early August).

Since you're in the post-residency situation and requesting things of your program this time of year, you should expect to be a very low priority for them.

Thank you for thinking I'm post-residency, but no, I am IN residency. I have yet to request anything from my program actually. Why would I need to ask anything of them? I applied for my license all by my lonesome, and my other licenses that I will be applying for I really don't see what if anything I will need from them. So far, nothing from what I can see. And our PC typically responds within the hour/hours.

But for example, I recently inquired by email about a fellowship program - this is not a program that gets many applications (maybe 20 or so total a year) and no response X2. I sent a brief email to inquire about applying to the program since they don't go through ERAS. Nada. This person i can assure you is not getting hundreds of emails a day. The fellowship I'm applying for has less than 400 applicants nation wide typically and this program in particular does not get that many apps. So no reason why this person should not be doing their job.

And i'm sorry but if someone is a coordinator they should reply.

Reactions: 1 user
The fellowship I'm applying for has less than 400 applicants nation wide typically and this program in particular does not get that many apps. So no reason why this person should not be doing their job.

There are coordinators who cover more than one GME program. It's entirely possible that the coordinator for that fellowship is also a coordinator for the categorical program affiliate with it. I'm pretty sure our coordinator also helps out with our two fellowship programs.

That said, sorry you're having such an issue getting in contact with them.

There are coordinators who cover more than one GME program. It's entirely possible that the coordinator for that fellowship is also a coordinator for the categorical program affiliate with it. I'm pretty sure our coordinator also helps out with our two fellowship programs.

That said, sorry you're having such an issue getting in contact with them.

No, this person is not a coordinator for more than one fellowship. I realize that that's the case for some places, but not here. She's only the coordinator for this one fellowship. And I emailed the second time after ample time the first time to give them enough time to reply and nothing.

Sometimes I have even replied to emails from programs asking for specific information, or places asking me specifically to reply because the PD was inquiring about my interest since they had ranked me to match, etc and I get limited to no responses. So frustrating!

Easy there Quick Draw McGraw - how could you possibly know what other roles this coordinator has? If it's such a small program with scant applicants the coordinator position may be a complete side job from his or her main role within the department/hospital. It's impossible to know, unless you've been stalking his or her movements I suppose...

Try the old-fashioned phone call if you are that worried.

Hi,

I have applied to 91 AP/CP pathology programs. 9 rejections. 2 interviews.

Not a word from anyone else. Several programs acknowledged receipt of app and one program in Detroit sent out a mass email to all applicants on 10/20 saying please stop calling and emailing us! We have your app and are reviewing it! lol

I have not contacted any programs. This thread was created only a year ago and the one theme I feel the big 5 in this thread agree on is that phone calls, emails, love letters, etc are slightly helpful sometimes but generally annoying.

I really don't want to bother anyone. Pathology is small and most of my rejections start with "we had a huge year and received over 300 applications..."

Should I just sit cool? One-time email to PC Nov 15?

Thanks again to the 2 PCs and 3 PDs in the thread!

Easy there Quick Draw McGraw - how could you possibly know what other roles this coordinator has? If it's such a small program with scant applicants the coordinator position may be a complete side job from his or her main role within the department/hospital. It's impossible to know, unless you've been stalking his or her movements I suppose...

Try the old-fashioned phone call if you are that worried.

Unless I'm really behind on the times, most applications cannot be sent via phone. This fellowship program is not on ERAS and I'm interested in it and think I have a great shot ( a person who graduated from my program a while back went there). And while this PC seems to have blown me off now, I've had the same issue countless times in the past with coordinators not answering to emails, calls, etc. So frustrating.

Thank you for thinking I'm post-residency, but no, I am IN residency. I have yet to request anything from my program actually. Why would I need to ask anything of them? I applied for my license all by my lonesome, and my other licenses that I will be applying for I really don't see what if anything I will need from them. So far, nothing from what I can see. And our PC typically responds within the hour/hours.

But for example, I recently inquired by email about a fellowship program - this is not a program that gets many applications (maybe 20 or so total a year) and no response X2. I sent a brief email to inquire about applying to the program since they don't go through ERAS. Nada. This person i can assure you is not getting hundreds of emails a day. The fellowship I'm applying for has less than 400 applicants nation wide typically and this program in particular does not get that many apps. So no reason why this person should not be doing their job.

And i'm sorry but if someone is a coordinator they should reply.
SDN/Internet/Life in General Pro-tip: If you have a very specific answer you'd like to your maddeningly vague question...lead with it.

In your specific case, the answer you seem to be looking for is "everyone hates you and wants you to fail". So, you could rephrase your question as "everyone hates me and wants me to fail, is that why PC's don't respond to my emails?"
And while this PC seems to have blown me off now, I've had the same issue countless times in the past with coordinators not answering to emails, calls, etc. So frustrating.
If you go through your day and you meet an a**hole, you've met an a**hole. If you go through your day and everyone you meet is an a**hole....

Reactions: 3 users
Hi,

I have applied to 91 AP/CP pathology programs. 9 rejections. 2 interviews.

Not a word from anyone else. Several programs acknowledged receipt of app and one program in Detroit sent out a mass email to all applicants on 10/20 saying please stop calling and emailing us! We have your app and are reviewing it! lol

I have not contacted any programs. This thread was created only a year ago and the one theme I feel the big 5 in this thread agree on is that phone calls, emails, love letters, etc are slightly helpful sometimes but generally annoying.

I really don't want to bother anyone. Pathology is small and most of my rejections start with "we had a huge year and received over 300 applications..."

Should I just sit cool? One-time email to PC Nov 15?
Without knowing anything else about your app, it's hard to say what is "wrong" here. An email/call to programs in the next week or two is not unreasonable. It might generate some movement for you, or it might not.

Thanks again to the 2 PCs and 3 PDs in the thread!
I'm not one of those people. So feel free to ignore my advice.

Actually, you are my favorite and funniest poster in the thread. You respond quicker than anyone else and I take your advice quite seriously.

My application has a red flag. I'm an AMG/MD who created a business right out of medical school. The flag is YOG.

I'll maybe email. Thanks for that advice.

Thanks again to all of the PCs. PDs, and gutonc!

Last edited:
Actually, you are my favorite and funniest poster in the thread. You respond quicker than anyone else and I take your advice quite seriously.

My application has a red flag. I'm an AMG/MD who created a business right out of medical school. The flag is YOG.

I'll maybe email. Thanks for that advice. Somehow my one of my 2 interviews is from my first choice. I considered not applying because I did not feel competitive enough. What luck!

Thanks again to all of the PCs. PDs, and gutonc!

Oh fun! what kind of business! I also have a business.

Without knowing anything else about your app, it's hard to say what is "wrong" here. An email/call to programs in the next week or two is not unreasonable. It might generate some movement for you, or it might not.

I'm not one of those people. So feel free to ignore my advice.

I don't think most people want me to fail or not succeed. I think I engender some jealousy and negativity from some people for a number of reasons, such as being good at what I do/fast and can typically being able to better hours than most of my classmates, I have been financially smart and have no debt - while I typically don't talk about it, the few times it's randomly come up such as do you want to come to this debt talk? I'm like no thanks I'm good and then it leads to inevitably I have debt. Then the inevitable - HOW is it possible you have no debt?! I have 300k in debt discussion. that brings jealousy. I drive a luxury car and live in a brand new house/community, travel worldwide frequently, travel within the US frequently, etc. that leads some people to be jealous. I have side businesses which generate a large quantity of $$, and a spouse who gets paid well as well given the profession they are in, and how much they have worked. I don't come from wealth, I have worked tremendously but have been nicely rewarded with a number of things in numerous ways. Again I don't talk about it, but some things inevitably come out. As some people have mentioned I live better than most attendings. I'm also not bad looking, have good credentials, etc. I even heard one nurse once say "How does she get to look so hot and be so well off. Not fair"
I was shocked. I guess I should feel ashamed for my success.

Oh and I have not even applied to this place, I was calling in order to know what they wanted

Your posts are outside of the scope of this thread. You seem to have a very high opinion of yourself, but more importantly, you kinda put others down.

The thread is called ask a PC. It turned out to be an extremely entertaining 21 pages but it is meant to be extremely boring. It is not a chatty thread and is simply meant to be a dialogue between nervous applicants such as myself and program coordinators who are the glue to every single residency program.

You came into this thread on page 20 basically attacking program coordinators for not responding. Well, now they are definitely not going to respond. Reread your posts and ask yourself if that is really truly how you make friends.

Please stop dropping the ball for the rest of us. Practice saying sorry even if you don't mean it. After all, you are sorry for what you wrote about program coordinators because it was not fair and not accurate.

Right?

Your posts are outside of the scope of this thread. You seem to have a very high opinion of yourself, but more importantly, you kinda put others down.

The thread is called ask a PC. It turned out to be an extremely entertaining 21 pages but it is meant to be extremely boring. It is not a chatty thread and is simply meant to be a dialogue between nervous applicants such as myself and program coordinators who are the glue to every single residency program.

You came into this thread on page 20 basically attacking program coordinators for not responding. Well, now they are definitely not going to respond. Reread your posts and ask yourself if that is really truly how you make friends.

Please stop dropping the ball for the rest of us. Practice saying sorry even if you don't mean it. After all, you are sorry for what you wrote about program coordinators because it was not fair and not accurate.

Right?

I'm not sure what is wrong with you, but I would certainly not talk to people who are much further along in the process than you are. Your statements, not sure if because of difficulty with language or what, make no sense. You somehow think that PCs are not going to respond because of a random thread on SDN? Right, that makes sense. Stop dropping the ball for the rest of you? Do you have any clue how absurd that sounds? For someone who is applying, such as yourself, I wouldn't talk to others - again - far further along in the process, with a proven track record, in such a condescending way, and telling them to "not drop the ball." It makes you sound really really bad. Take your own advice - and start saying sorry, because at this point you sound incredibly condescending and delusional.

There are a few people whose emails tend to have a tone like nails on a chalkboard -- Sometimes it's just that person's history and a particular email is fine -- but they have a track record that causes me to postpone even reading their emails. Sometimes the negative tone comes clearly through the subject line, further delaying my response. A nasty, accusing or demanding tone does not bring out the best in me. Ever. Folks who are consistently polite and who don't imply all problems are my fault consistently receive a prompt courteous response from me.

I'd suggest your subject line start with "Quick Question" -- I'll open those right away. "Follow up" will also usually get a quick response unless you're a known jerk. "Second Request" MAKES you a known jerk, even when it actually is a second request.

And in the email body, allow the PC to save face by acknowledging how busy s/he must be at this time of year and that your initial email might not have been received -- it might not have.

Reactions: 3 users
There are a few people whose emails tend to have a tone like nails on a chalkboard -- Sometimes it's just that person's history and a particular email is fine -- but they have a track record that causes me to postpone even reading their emails. Sometimes the negative tone comes clearly through the subject line, further delaying my response. A nasty, accusing or demanding tone does not bring out the best in me. Ever. Folks who are consistently polite and who don't imply all problems are my fault consistently receive a prompt courteous response from me.

I'd suggest your subject line start with "Quick Question" -- I'll open those right away. "Follow up" will also usually get a quick response unless you're a known jerk. "Second Request" MAKES you a known jerk, even when it actually is a second request.

And in the email body, allow the PC to save face by acknowledging how busy s/he must be at this time of year and that your initial email might not have been received -- it might not have.

I find this to be an actually thoughtful and helpful response so thank you.
What about emails like hello I am requesting info to apply to your program? Why would that get 0 response? I've always also wondered - don't definitive answers lead to better reactions than no response? Like we are reviewing, will let you know, etc when the answer is really no

I find this to be an actually thoughtful and helpful response so thank you.
What about emails like hello I am requesting info to apply to your program? Why would that get 0 response? I've always also wondered - don't definitive answers lead to better reactions than no response? Like we are reviewing, will let you know, etc when the answer is really no

Imagining myself in that position, if I am unable to provide the definitive answer sought but the reason would require a long or embarrassing explanation -- ex. funding may not be available, supervising physician may be in rehab, can't get answer from PD, spot might be 'sorta promised' to PD's buddy's nephew -- or maybe I expect to be able to provide an answer soon, just not now --- well, what's to say? If you're requesting application information, I might simply file your email in the 'send info when available' folder and move on -- though I'd probably respond to say that.

I'm not sure what is wrong with you, but I would certainly not talk to people who are much further along in the process than you are. Your statements, not sure if because of difficulty with language or what, make no sense. You somehow think that PCs are not going to respond because of a random thread on SDN? Right, that makes sense. Stop dropping the ball for the rest of you? Do you have any clue how absurd that sounds? For someone who is applying, such as yourself, I wouldn't talk to others - again - far further along in the process, with a proven track record, in such a condescending way, and telling them to "not drop the ball." It makes you sound really really bad. Take your own advice - and start saying sorry, because at this point you sound incredibly condescending and delusional.
maybe you should listen to your own advice...

btw...i'm way further along than you and he made sense to me.

I don't think most people want me to fail or not succeed. I think I engender some jealousy and negativity from some people for a number of reasons, such as being good at what I do/fast and can typically being able to better hours than most of my classmates, I have been financially smart and have no debt - while I typically don't talk about it, the few times it's randomly come up such as do you want to come to this debt talk? I'm like no thanks I'm good and then it leads to inevitably I have debt. Then the inevitable - HOW is it possible you have no debt?! I have 300k in debt discussion. that brings jealousy. I drive a luxury car and live in a brand new house/community, travel worldwide frequently, travel within the US frequently, etc. that leads some people to be jealous. I have side businesses which generate a large quantity of $$, and a spouse who gets paid well as well given the profession they are in, and how much they have worked. I don't come from wealth, I have worked tremendously but have been nicely rewarded with a number of things in numerous ways. Again I don't talk about it, but some things inevitably come out. As some people have mentioned I live better than most attendings. I'm also not bad looking, have good credentials, etc. I even heard one nurse once say "How does she get to look so hot and be so well off. Not fair"
I was shocked. I guess I should feel ashamed for my success.

Oh and I have not even applied to this place, I was calling in order to know what they wanted

Wow, my goodness. All credibility out the window. You are incredibly full of yourself, and I'm not at all surprised that you are likely tone-deaf to how your own e-mails are going out.

I like how she creates fake stories about "you're so hot and how does she get to have everything?" I've met attractive women and they never brag about it on ERAS ask a PC thread. I guess they are just modest. You are that hot though. I understand. This is an above and beyond exceptional case of hotness.

Stop dropping the ball. You're a total hack.

is it too late to apply to a few last min programs?

is it too late to apply to a few last min programs?

It's probably specialty dependent--some programs that interview later in the season may still consider applications, but my deadline was yesterday.

It's probably specialty dependent--some programs that interview later in the season may still consider applications, but my deadline was yesterday.

how about IM and pre-lim surgery

So a program coordinator contacted me about not being able to see my picture through ERAS. I looked into it and I don't really see any options for my picture to not be shown. I have other interviews and nobody else commented. I searched and a PD on SDN said that programs can only see your picture after offering you an interview, is that still the case? Not sure if this person was just unaware of this or if there might have been a problem with my app that I haven't realized yet. (haven't gotten an interview at the program that asked about it yet)

We can see pictures of anyone who applies, regardless of whether we offer them an interview or not.

We can see pictures if we have unscreened them. It's possible there is something wrong with your picture file. Contact any program at which you have an interview and ask -- your home program if you have one.