Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many people won't have all their LORs.
US MSPEs aren't released until Oct 1.

I'd apply. You don't have anything to lose and could be looked at sooner even though your application is not complete. Then again, I'm not sure how programs feel about the lack of ECFMG certificate.

What about the MSPE? I mean, I know I can assign documents later, but what about the initial app that I sent without the MSPE? Will i get weeded out in the start, or how does it work? TIA

Members don't see this ad.

They are not firing you because you took a nap -- although I guess it depends whether you missed some important clinical work while napping. I expect your problems run much deeper. You don't seem to have any insight into that, which is probably the biggest part of the problem, unfortunately.
It does not appear , after talking with my program director, that the nap had much to do with it. It's an excuse. It's a flimsy one, since two residents were sitting idly and I was about 100 feet away for 20 minutes. I have a meeting tomorrow with the one who I heard secondhand will help me get another position. My question is, do I have a chance or is it unlikely? Is it better to find an unmatched spot this year or re-apply next year? Thanks

Yes. That is what they said. They said it was because I asked the residents on my team, and not the attending.
An interesting article. Claims a nap during an unpaid break for a nurse is really valuable for improving performance but is often not tolerated "All Nurses-Top 10 reasons..."

An interesting article. Claims a nap during an unpaid break for a nurse is really valuable for improving performance but is often not tolerated "All Nurses-Top 10 reasons..."
You might want to start a new thread since this thread is about ERAS & interview.

Reactions: 1 user
What about the MSPE? I mean, I know I can assign documents later, but what about the initial app that I sent without the MSPE? Will i get weeded out in the start, or how does it work? TIA

Again, US MSPEs are not available, period, until after Oct 1. I don't know if being an IMG affects that or not. But I'd still apply now--you have nothing to lose and will potentially gain interviews while you're waiting for everything. Those programs who want to see things will just not view your application because you're not 'complete' yet.

Again, US MSPEs are not available, period, until after Oct 1. I don't know if being an IMG affects that or not. But I'd still apply now--you have nothing to lose and will potentially gain interviews while you're waiting for everything. Those programs who want to see things will just not view your application because you're not 'complete' yet.

My MSPE has been processed. It releases OCT 1 for us as well.
Now only waiting for 2 ore US LOR's. I have 1 LOR now. I got an email saying I have met the qualifications for ECFMG certification, but the actual certificate hasn't been issued yet.
What about programs that state they want an ECFMG certification at the time of submitting the application? Is it risky applying now? or will I miss out by applying late?

I forgot to put two of my certifications: my house physician certification and my Essential Skills in Medical Education Certificate. I already submitted my ap. Do you think it will matter if those two things were not included?

My application currently has no LORs assigned to any program. I was told that you can upload LORs at any point. Right now, I'm trying to attach the LORs that I do have to some programs. When I do so, I am told by ERAS:

"LoR selections will be locked upon applying to a program or when assigning a LoR to a program you previously applied to. Once a LoR selection is locked you will not be able to change it. You may only change your selection prior to applying to a program. Keep in mind that you may only assign up to 4 LoRs to any given program. Click Confirm to proceed with your selections or click Cancel to go back"

Does this mean that I simply can't remove the LOR I have already assigned, or does that mean that I can't make any changes period (ie. attachment of additional letters) after I have assigned the LORs?

My application currently has no LORs assigned to any program. I was told that you can upload LORs at any point. Right now, I'm trying to attach the LORs that I do have to some programs. When I do so, I am told by ERAS:

"LoR selections will be locked upon applying to a program or when assigning a LoR to a program you previously applied to. Once a LoR selection is locked you will not be able to change it. You may only change your selection prior to applying to a program. Keep in mind that you may only assign up to 4 LoRs to any given program. Click Confirm to proceed with your selections or click Cancel to go back"

Does this mean that I simply can't remove the LOR I have already assigned, or does that mean that I can't make any changes period (ie. attachment of additional letters) after I have assigned the LORs?
Read the words that are written. The answer is in there.

Once you assign and apply, you can't take it back. That's all they're saying.

You used to be able to assign, let a program download your app (back in the download days), then unassign a LOR and assign a new one in it's place. They're telling you that once you've assigned a LOR, you're stuck with it.

I am applying to IM, I have 3 letters uploaded but am awaiting the most important one - the IM department chair letter, which is a required letter for many programs. Will programs see that I already have 3 letters, assume that's all I'm getting, then discard my app since I have no department chair letter as of now? Kind of paranoid that this might happen, and thinking it may have been better for me not to assign my letters until I had them all ready, because then at least programs would know I'm probably still waiting for a letter. Not sure if I'm just being neurotic or if I really should be concerned about this.

Is there an actual filter for ECFMG certification or do programs have to look at each ECFMG report? (I know many programs will consider applications regardless, but would just like to know if programs are able to filter people automatically)

Just have to vent: I started this process back in May and my letter got lost, took me a while to figure out ECFMG sends an actual letter to some places and needs some sort of bureaucratic process to switch this to an electronic format. I have no idea how long it is going to take and can`t help but think this will ruin my chances at some places :(.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I need some advice... I had all the documents ready but something went wrong with assigning the documents (for example, I didn't assign the USMLE transcript).
I assigned them incompletely and yesterday, Saturday, I finally assigned them all.
I was wondering if this could affect my application and If I should send a letter to the program directors

Thanks so much for your help. I am a little worried.

I am applying to IM, I have 3 letters uploaded but am awaiting the most important one - the IM department chair letter, which is a required letter for many programs. Will programs see that I already have 3 letters, assume that's all I'm getting, then discard my app since I have no department chair letter as of now? Kind of paranoid that this might happen, and thinking it may have been better for me not to assign my letters until I had them all ready, because then at least programs would know I'm probably still waiting for a letter. Not sure if I'm just being neurotic or if I really should be concerned about this.

Reviewing your post history, it appears you're in a DO school. In that case, your Dept letter is not likely to be very helpful anyway. So I wouldn't worry about this. Even if you were an MD student, not all schools have a dept chair letter, and not all of those that do are helpful.

Is there an actual filter for ECFMG certification or do programs have to look at each ECFMG report? (I know many programs will consider applications regardless, but would just like to know if programs are able to filter people automatically)

Just have to vent: I started this process back in May and my letter got lost, took me a while to figure out ECFMG sends an actual letter to some places and needs some sort of bureaucratic process to switch this to an electronic format. I have no idea how long it is going to take and can`t help but think this will ruin my chances at some places :(.

Yes, we can filter based upon your ECFMG certification. Not all programs will insist on ECFMG cert at the time of application, since that requires that you've actually graduated from medical school.

Hello everyone! I need some advice... I had all the documents ready but something went wrong with assigning the documents (for example, I didn't assign the USMLE transcript).
I assigned them incompletely and yesterday, Saturday, I finally assigned them all.
I was wondering if this could affect my application and If I should send a letter to the program directors

Thanks so much for your help. I am a little worried.

Don't be silly. There's no way we can look at all of your applications in 1 day, and assigning your documents a day later won't make any difference.

Reviewing your post history, it appears you're in a DO school. In that case, your Dept letter is not likely to be very helpful anyway. So I wouldn't worry about this. Even if you were an MD student, not all schools have a dept chair letter, and not all of those that do are helpful.

Yes, we can filter based upon your ECFMG certification. Not all programs will insist on ECFMG cert at the time of application, since that requires that you've actually graduated from medical school.

Don't be silly. There's no way we can look at all of your applications in 1 day, and assigning your documents a day later won't make any difference.

Thanks so much! I guess I just need to relax!

Silly me--looks like I forgot to add English as one my languages. I'm born and raised in the US, and go to medical school here. I know programs can filter applications by language; is it common for many program to do so? Should I reach out to programs to clarify with them?

Last edited:
Silly me--looks like I forgot to add English as one my languages. I'm born and raised in the US, and go to a DO school. I know programs can filter applications by language; is it common for many program to do so? Should I reach out to programs to clarify with them?

I'm going to wager that someone wouldn't apply for a training program in an English speaking country if they were not reasonably fluent in that language.

I'm going to wager that someone wouldn't apply for a training program in an English speaking country if they were not reasonably fluent in that language.
You would be surprised to know that I have met some great, very experienced & knowledgeable IMG's who write notes in their native language.

@aProgDirector
On an average, how many days does it take you (or an any PD) to go through the application and shortlisting process for the first time?
I am still waiting for my most important LoR to become available.
If waiting till Tue?Wed is going to do a lot of damage to my application then I might submit my application(s) now and add that LoR later?
Thanks for everything.

@aProgDirector
On an average, how many days does it take you (or an any PD) to go through the application and shortlisting process for the first time?
If waiting till Tue?Wed is going to do a lot of damage to my application then I might submit my application(s) now and add that LoR later?
Thanks for everything.

Depends on specialty. If it's one that has thousands of applications like IM, will take about a week on average; for programs with less applications, they will likely be done in a few days. I'd personally submit now and add LOR later but can probably wait a few more days.

Silly me--looks like I forgot to add English as one my languages. I'm born and raised in the US, and go to a DO school. I know programs can filter applications by language; is it common for many program to do so? Should I reach out to programs to clarify with them?

It is assumed you speak English. Do not reach out to programs to tell them this. You're panicking over nothing.

@aProgDirector
Thanks for everything.

As mentioned above, there's no way to answer your question. I'm reading applications now. I'll be reading them all week, if you submitted early next week it would make no difference. Some programs might decide to only review applications that were submitted on 9/15, as a way to cut down on app review and assuming that the best candidates would have been ready on the first day. In that case, your app isn't going to be reviewed no matter what you do now. All programs will fall somewhere between these two extremes.

For programs that invite you via ERAS, but asks you to email, I'm guessing you respond by emailing rather than hitting "reply" via ERAS correct?

Thank you @ Wilderness_gal & aProgDirector for relieving my anxiety.
Much appreciated.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Quick question about timing of interview invites as I've heard it's important to be at the phone and respond quickly. Do these usually go out during usual workday hours (Say 9-5) or is it important to also be by the phone in the evenings, etc? Thanks for any clarification

Just wondering if is actually a good idea to contact PC by email this week to express my high interest in the program?

Just wondering if is actually a good idea to contact PC by email this week to express my high interest in the program?

Not sure if this is a troll post..

Not sure if this is a troll post..
Why a troll? I have seen in other forums students talking about it...just not sure if it is a good idea to email the programs saying that you are truly interested before you get an interview invitation?

Why a troll? I have seen in other forums students talking about it...just not sure if it is a good idea to email the programs saying that you are truly interested before you get an interview invitation?

You should try emailing the program directors and let us know how it turns out.

It's too soon. Wait a few weeks to see if you get an invitation--if not, you can contact the PC after the MSPEs are released.

Reactions: 1 users
How will a spelling mistake affect my chances of securing interviews? What can I do?
So as I was reviewing my application, I noticed that in the memberships/societies sections on the CV, I had typed "Americal" instead of "American". I proofread my application several times before submitting and my PS and the rest of the application is completely pristine. This particular organization which includes the word "American" was typed in directly onto eras and I happened to gloss over it during my final submission.

How will a spelling mistake affect my chances of securing interviews? What can I do?
So as I was reviewing my application, I noticed that in the memberships/societies sections on the CV, I had typed "Americal" instead of "American". I proofread my application several times before submitting and my PS and the rest of the application is completely pristine. This particular organization which includes the word "American" was typed in directly onto eras and I happened to gloss over it during my final submission.

Probably zero effect, to be honest I'd be surprised if more than a handful notice. Certainly won't affect the number of interviews you get.

But I see your concern, and this is the reason we tell everyone to proofread the entire submission.

Not sure why you asked the question in the first place then.
Because it was never properly answered and it looks like a bad idea but... anxiety brings up your dumbest side and make you ask things like that lol...

Dear PD:
I applied for medicine prelim letters with 4 letters: 2 neuro, 1 medicine (from vice chair of where I did my med subi), and 1 peds. I didn't realize that the medicine dept letter from my school counted as an LOR. Now I cannot assign the letter to the prelim programs. How bad is this issue?

Thank you for doing this.

I wanted to know what kind of patient care experience does a program director want to know about from an applicant? What kind of experiences are important for them to know about? There was a broad question on a supplemental application, and there are many experiences so I'm not sure what they are looking for.

How important is not doing an IM Sub-I until after ROL? I clinically honored IM and my recommendations should describe my interest in IM.
Also if a Step 1 score is above average, would waiting until one can ensure quality CK score but wiser than taking it ASAP and having it ready by Nov 1?

I applied for medicine prelim letters with 4 letters: 2 neuro, 1 medicine (from vice chair of where I did my med subi), and 1 peds. I didn't realize that the medicine dept letter from my school counted as an LOR. Now I cannot assign the letter to the prelim programs. How bad is this issue?

Probably not a big deal. Nothing you can do about it now anyway.

I wanted to know what kind of patient care experience does a program director want to know about from an applicant? What kind of experiences are important for them to know about? There was a broad question on a supplemental application, and there are many experiences so I'm not sure what they are looking for.

We don't do supplementals, so I have no idea. If you're an IMG, I would describe any US experience you have -- where was it, what type of experience, what were you allowed to do, how many patients did you manage at once, etc. If you have no US experience, then describe your home country experience. If you're a US grad, I guess the same thing?

How important is not doing an IM Sub-I until after ROL? I clinically honored IM and my recommendations should describe my interest in IM.
Also if a Step 1 score is above average, would waiting until one can ensure quality CK score but wiser than taking it ASAP and having it ready by Nov 1?

Lots of people don't have a SubI for applications.

There's no answer to your second question. Taking it now and doing well helps you. Taking it now and not doing well hurts you (although you could decline to release it, but someone is bound to ask and then you're stuck). Not taking it at all (or getting your score back after ROL is due) is neutral to negative. Pick your poison.

What is the average wait time between invite (assuming you respond within the hour) to confirmation of appointment?

Thank you for doing this.

I received the same request (pretty sure from same program). I only put that all my core and elective clerkships were completed in U.S. at ACGME affiliated hospitals. Is that enough or should I have elaborated more? I didn't put that my rotations were all 100% hands-on with involvement in patient care. I thought it was implied by saying ACGME hospitals.

Last edited:
What is the average wait time between invite (assuming you respond within the hour) to confirmation of appointment?

I assume you are talking about interviews. This will depend on the program. I had some programs that responded right away confirming appointment, and some that took a couple of days. Give at least 24 hours before you start bugging them.

I received the same request (pretty sure from same program). I only put that all my core and elective clerkships were completed in U.S. at ACGME affiliated hospitals. Is that enough or should I have elaborated more? I didn't put that my rotations were all 100% hands-on with involvement in patient care. I thought it was implied by saying ACGME hospitals.

How do you find out if the clinical rotations you have had are at ACGME affiliated hospitals? Aren't most if not all hospitals acgme affiliated? I've never looked into it before.

Hi everyone - a big thanks to everyone contributing in this thread! Advising neurotic med students might be one of the tougher jobs out there, but the help is always appreciated!

I had a quick question as well - while reviewing my MSPE, I noticed a mistake on my academic performance. The letter states that I had failed and subsequently re-mediated a small sub-discipline of a doctoring course during my MS1 year. In actuality, I had received an excused absence for a missing assignment, and had indeed comfortably passed. I have notified my school, and they are quickly making the necessary changes on my transcript. My dean's letter will be updated as well.

Unfortunately, the transcript that is currently uploaded onto ERAS has the incorrect failing mark on it. From reading this thread, it seems that some programs will have reviewed my application already, and others may not have. Is this something I should email individual PC's about, once my new transcript is uploaded?

Thank you!

Hi aPD,

I'm unsure if I should wait to submit my ERAS application. I'm a DO student, couples matching and applying FM.
Step 1 - 217
COMLEX 1 - mid 600s

My step 2 CK score will be released on September 27. I'm hoping I performed better than Step 1.

My concern is if I apply before my score release, I may be filtered out because of my low step 1. On the other hand, I'm not sure what effect waiting 12 days after Sept 15 will have.

Also, since I scored considerably better on COMLEX, will that help me get past some initial step 1 filters (i.e >220)?

Thanks!

Hi everyone - a big thanks to everyone contributing in this thread! Advising neurotic med students might be one of the tougher jobs out there, but the help is always appreciated!

I had a quick question as well - while reviewing my MSPE, I noticed a mistake on my academic performance. The letter states that I had failed and subsequently re-mediated a small sub-discipline of a doctoring course during my MS1 year. In actuality, I had received an excused absence for a missing assignment, and had indeed comfortably passed. I have notified my school, and they are quickly making the necessary changes on my transcript. My dean's letter will be updated as well.

Unfortunately, the transcript that is currently uploaded onto ERAS has the incorrect failing mark on it. From reading this thread, it seems that some programs will have reviewed my application already, and others may not have. Is this something I should email individual PC's about, once my new transcript is uploaded?

Thank you!

MSPEs don't go out to programs until October 1st so there is still time to correct it. No programs can see it yet.

Thank you!

MSPEs don't go out to programs until October 1st so there is still time to correct it. No programs can see it yet.

Thank you for the reply Admiral! The MSPE will indeed be corrected, but the initial transcript with the error on it is still uploaded to ERAS. My school will be replacing this with a new transcript soon, but my fear is that some programs may have already reviewed my file with this mistaken red flag in it.

I hope that clears up my question further!

How do you find out if the clinical rotations you have had are at ACGME affiliated hospitals? Aren't most if not all hospitals acgme affiliated? I've never looked into it before.

The opposite is true. Most hospitals are non-teaching hospitals are are not participating in GME training. If the hospital you were at has residents, and if you worked with those residents, then your rotation was an ACGME affiliated rotation.