-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Ask your random questions about AADSAS here!
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You could make points for it helping or hurting your chances, but I personally think it does nothing 🙂
Out of curiosity, how would it hurt?
If I put in all my course information for my grades and stuff, am I good to send my application in? I asked my registrar to mail in my transcript to the AADSAS Transcript Processing Center on June 1st, so hopefully my transcript is there waiting for my application to be sent too. Is my planning correct?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not exactly sure, but it could show that I'm just trying to fluff my application last minute?Our of curiosity, how would it hurt?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
how long does it usually take AADSAS to receive your transcript and inform you that they got it? I used express mail and they were supposed to get it the next day. It has been a week and I haven't heard back from them. should I resend it ?
I haven't received any information that my transcript has been received either. I mean if you sent it to the correct address at the bottom of the request form, you should be fine. Who have you tried contacting?
Family pressure: your parent is a dentist and they're pushing you to be one as well.Out of curiosity, how would it hurt?
It takes longer than it should. If you have a tracking number, you can track it and see if it's delivered, but it takes a while for them to say it's received. Don't send another unless it's been like a monthhow long does it usually take AADSAS to receive your transcript and inform you that they got it? I used express mail and they were supposed to get it the next day. It has been a week and I haven't heard back from them. should I resend it ?
should I submit my application or wait until they receive my transcripts? Where can I see the breakdown of my DAT scores? All I can see is when I took it and when the scores showed up.
What is the purpose of the cover letter? Are you guys putting things on the cover letter that you talk about in your personal statement?
Opinions: do you think it helps or hurts if you have a dentist family member?
Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile
Could hurt if perhaps you've only done your shadowing hours under a family member. Though there are other obvious perks to having family who are already practicing dentistsOut of curiosity, how would it hurt?
I agree with what @hellofuturedentists said, don't resend unless it's not there in like a month. 1 week is super short, and it takes them a while to sort through all the incoming transcripts as well as update each AADSAS status. I'm sure the traffic of incoming transcripts is over the roof these next couple of weeks especiallyhow long does it usually take AADSAS to receive your transcript and inform you that they got it? I used express mail and they were supposed to get it the next day. It has been a week and I haven't heard back from them. should I resend it ?
Should be fine since it's put into context if you're describing the extracurricular activityDo you think dental schools will understand the acronym "SOM" ? School of Medicine? I plan on using the acronym for my extra curricular descriptions.
For the dentistry/shadowing experience, would the position title after the supervisor's name be their title? Since we mention what our title is in a few boxes down? I read in the instructions: Applicants need to provide a brief description of the activity, enter the supervisor’s title, including start and end dates, and indicate whether the position was paid, volunteer, job shadowing or other. Can anybody shed some advice?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would assume a lot of people do it. If I were an interviewer and I had two same people but one person signed up for an extra class this month, Id pick that personWould it seem like I'm just trying to add things to my application if I signed up for a CPR/AED class before I submit my application?
Sent from my LG G4
Wait for the transcript, don't take the BLS course just to pad your app, and you can only see the date, no scores.should I submit my application or wait until they receive my transcripts? Where can I see the breakdown of my DAT scores? All I can see is when I took it and when the scores showed up.
When it says "flag for cover letter" for up to 3 things in each section? It's just the first thing they see on your application. Put whatever you're most impressed withWhat is the purpose of the cover letter? Are you guys putting things on the cover letter that you talk about in your personal statement?
If it says supervisor's title, put in their title (Dentist, Prosthodontist, etc). If it's designated as shadowing, dental schools will assume you're the shadower. If it's paid like assisting, put that in the description.For the dentistry/shadowing experience, would the position title after the supervisor's name be their title? Since we mention what our title is in a few boxes down? I read in the instructions: Applicants need to provide a brief description of the activity, enter the supervisor’s title, including start and end dates, and indicate whether the position was paid, volunteer, job shadowing or other. Can anybody shed some advice?
Do you get notifications when your people writing LORs have clicked on the link and submitted them?
NoDo you get notifications when your people writing LORs have clicked on the link and submitted them?
Do you get notifications when your people writing LORs have clicked on the link and submitted them?
I actually got an email saying my professor submitted a LoE. You can obviously tell its submitted when the delete option goes away on addsas
Maybe that's new and for electronic letters. They didn't do that last year as far as I'm concerned.I actually got an email saying my professor submitted a LoE. You can obviously tell its submitted when the delete option goes away on addsas
IndeedI'm good to e-submit now right? Got everything filled out, PS, LORs received, Transcripts received, DAT scores received.....
Just need to submit and then my GPA will be calculated and application sent out right?
With the new interfolio/AADSAS LoR change, could we still e-submit before receiving every letter?
Before, we could use "matching forms", but now AADSAS uses an email address that interfolio provides when they receive the document from the writer.
I may have answered my own question, but I'm open for other possibilities.
Before, we could use "matching forms", but now AADSAS uses an email address that interfolio provides when they receive the document from the writer.
I may have answered my own question, but I'm open for other possibilities.
Can someone PLEASE confirm that on the Dentistry/Shadowing section, the "position title" is the Supervisor's position title??
On the instructions, all I see is:
What is my “title”? Who is my supervisor?
If you did not have an official title, enter the type of activity you did—for example, “Dentist Shadow” or “Nurse Shadow,” etc. The organization is the location where or for whom the work took place, and the supervisor is the person who was responsible for you or was in charge of your activity.
I've been getting mixed responses and would appreciate some help!
On the instructions, all I see is:
What is my “title”? Who is my supervisor?
If you did not have an official title, enter the type of activity you did—for example, “Dentist Shadow” or “Nurse Shadow,” etc. The organization is the location where or for whom the work took place, and the supervisor is the person who was responsible for you or was in charge of your activity.
I've been getting mixed responses and would appreciate some help!
Can someone PLEASE confirm that on the Dentistry/Shadowing section, the "position title" is the Supervisor's position title??
On the instructions, all I see is:
What is my “title”? Who is my supervisor?
If you did not have an official title, enter the type of activity you did—for example, “Dentist Shadow” or “Nurse Shadow,” etc. The organization is the location where or for whom the work took place, and the supervisor is the person who was responsible for you or was in charge of your activity.
I've been getting mixed responses and would appreciate some help!
Your title. In that section, they ask the type of dentist observed so you can designate which type they are.
Calm. There was confusion last year about this as well and people did both. Follow those instructions and put "dentist shadow" if that's what it says. If that turns out to be wrong, and you were supposed to have put "orthodontist" or whatever, schools will figure it out. I promise you.Can someone PLEASE confirm that on the Dentistry/Shadowing section, the "position title" is the Supervisor's position title??
On the instructions, all I see is:
What is my “title”? Who is my supervisor?
If you did not have an official title, enter the type of activity you did—for example, “Dentist Shadow” or “Nurse Shadow,” etc. The organization is the location where or for whom the work took place, and the supervisor is the person who was responsible for you or was in charge of your activity.
I've been getting mixed responses and would appreciate some help!
Do you type secondaries, submit them electronically, or hand write them?
Thank you!
Thank you!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent mine I think 5 days ago and checked today and it said it was received.how long does it usually take AADSAS to receive your transcript and inform you that they got it? I used express mail and they were supposed to get it the next day. It has been a week and I haven't heard back from them. should I resend it ?
Last edited:
Depends on the school. Most are electronic.Do you type secondaries, submit them electronically, or hand write them?
Thank you!
I can't afford to apply to all the schools I want to right now. Can I apply right now to some schools and then add more later when I can?
Yes, apply to those you can now that are higher priority (depending on when you will be able to afford the rest).I can't afford to apply to all the schools I want to right now. Can I apply right now to some schools and then add more later when I can?
Puzzled regarding LORs.
Every school wants different people writing a letter. For the most part this works out fine, but ADEAs 4 letter cap is messing with me. I can't upload just 4 letters and make all the schools happy. I called one school and asked if I could send an additional letter to them, but the lady just blandly replied they only accept through AADSAS.
Does this mean I just can't apply to certain schools..?
Every school wants different people writing a letter. For the most part this works out fine, but ADEAs 4 letter cap is messing with me. I can't upload just 4 letters and make all the schools happy. I called one school and asked if I could send an additional letter to them, but the lady just blandly replied they only accept through AADSAS.
Does this mean I just can't apply to certain schools..?
Under volunteer/EC section, I am listing a school club that I have been a member in for 2 years. I have about 25 hours of volunteer hours with them over the 2 years, but I don't know what to put down when AADSAS asks for the average # of hours worked per week. What do you guys suggest?
I suppose it does.Puzzled regarding LORs.
Every school wants different people writing a letter. For the most part this works out fine, but ADEAs 4 letter cap is messing with me. I can't upload just 4 letters and make all the schools happy. I called one school and asked if I could send an additional letter to them, but the lady just blandly replied they only accept through AADSAS.
Does this mean I just can't apply to certain schools..?
I'd put however many you did at a time. If each volunteer session was 5 hours, put 5. They'll understand.Under volunteer/EC section, I am listing a school club that I have been a member in for 2 years. I have about 25 hours of volunteer hours with them over the 2 years, but I don't know what to put down when AADSAS asks for the average # of hours worked per week. What do you guys suggest?
So I am waiting on LORs from my evaluators. Can I submit my app if I am done with everything else? My DAT scores are not up either. I took it June 1st. Do I need to do anything for them to be uploaded in the AADSAS portal? And if I want my scores to be reported to more schools than what I initially selected while taking the DAT, what should I do? Thank you so much. Panic mode, it is so overwhelming this application process.
I didn't realize that under the "special course" tab that it was "distance studies/online course"; I thought it only said "distance studies"...I submitted my application with two online courses and didn't list them as such. Will AADSAS send my application back? Or is that minor enough that they will just change it?
Did it indicate whether it was an online course on your transcript?I didn't realize that under the "special course" tab that it was "distance studies/online course"; I thought it only said "distance studies"...I submitted my application with two online courses and didn't list them as such. Will AADSAS send my application back? Or is that minor enough that they will just change it?
If you've requested your LORs already, there's nothing else you need to do for it. And as long as your Dentpin/test date information is in the portal, your DAT will be posted in a few weeksSo I am waiting on LORs from my evaluators. Can I submit my app if I am done with everything else? My DAT scores are not up either. I took it June 1st. Do I need to do anything for them to be uploaded in the AADSAS portal? And if I want my scores to be reported to more schools than what I initially selected while taking the DAT, what should I do? Thank you so much. Panic mode, it is so overwhelming this application process.
If i have been volunteering at a certain place on and off for the last four years and have about 150 hours done with them how many hours am i suppose to put for the average weekly hours?
Thanks. Do you know if I need to do do anything else if I want to apply to more schools than what I selected during my DAT application or does that not matter?If you've requested your LORs already, there's nothing else you need to do for it. And as long as your Dentpin/test date information is in the portal, your DAT will be posted in a few weeks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had some health issues during my senior year, which are now gone, but definitely affected my grades. Should I put this in the "Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance?", or does it sound to much like an excuse?
If your grades were severely hurt, put it in.I had some health issues during my senior year, which are now gone, but definitely affected my grades. Should I put this in the "Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance?", or does it sound to much like an excuse?
No. Your DAT scores will be on your completed AADSAS application that is given to schoolsThanks. Do you know if I need to do do anything else if I want to apply to more schools than what I selected during my DAT application or does that not matter?
Awards, honors, scholarship:
I have two awards from the local fda chapter for being apart of give kids a smile event in my city and also a letter from a senator acknowledging my participance at the mission of mercy event here as well. These go here right? Or is this section more academic awards and honors based? Thank you!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I have two awards from the local fda chapter for being apart of give kids a smile event in my city and also a letter from a senator acknowledging my participance at the mission of mercy event here as well. These go here right? Or is this section more academic awards and honors based? Thank you!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
regarding the coursework section of the application:
I have taken introductory chemistry and physics at a community college before taking chemI,II and physics I,II. my question is under what subject would those intro classes be classified? (chem,phys, other science, or non science ) thanks
I have taken introductory chemistry and physics at a community college before taking chemI,II and physics I,II. my question is under what subject would those intro classes be classified? (chem,phys, other science, or non science ) thanks
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
E