OtisO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I want to be a doctor. It's not an out of the blue decision but an interest that has stuck and has never changed since the beginning of high school. I've wanted to be a plastic surgeon since junior(ish) year of high school and am currently on the baby steps of being one this fall. I'm heading off to university. I wanted to go to St. Louis University but its FINAL cost down from 54,000 is 25,000 and it is very impractical for me to afford. I have now settled for a place I never thought I would go but was forced to apply to thanks to my high school college counselor. Bless her heart, because if I didn't, I would be at a CC right now. My question: how will I know if Medicine is the right choice? I am 90% sure I want embark in it. However, without any knowledge other than loving science, helping others and having an extreme empathy towards those around me, I have my doubts. I love chemistry and am intending to complete a Biochemistry BS degree. My school is - for all you rank lovers - ranked 220th nationally.. Nothing impressive but it is my only choice right now. Will going to a state (public) school (University of Missouri- St. Louis) completely eliminate my chances at say: SLU or WashU? or any semi-prestigious private med schools? I know my (first) post is very dense in comments and questions and I am very glad for those who read through it and are willing to give guidance and suggestions. THANK YOU GUYS!

Members don't see this ad.

Almost everyone goes into medicine initially because of their "love for science combined with love for helping others", but I could name twenty other professions that involve those same things. You need to figure out why being a doctor specifically is what you want to do, and the only way to really see what doctors do is to observe them in a clinical setting or work in a clinical setting yourself.

I may be wrong but I don't think medical schools have any biases towards private universities. It's really about what you do at that university that matters. The "university/school" slot is only one line of a very long AMCAS application that committees will read to decide whether you are a good fit for their school.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to be a doctor. It's not an out of the blue decision but an interest that has stuck and has never changed since the beginning of high school.
1) I've wanted to be a plastic surgeon since junior(ish) year of high school and am currently on the baby steps of being one this fall. I'm heading off to university. I wanted to go to St. Louis University but its FINAL cost down from 54,000 is 25,000 and it is very impractical for me to afford. I have now settled for a place I never thought I would go but was forced to apply to thanks to my high school college counselor. Bless her heart, because if I didn't, I would be at a CC right now.
2) My question: how will I know if Medicine is the right choice? I am 90% sure I want embark in it. However, without any knowledge other than loving science, helping others and having an extreme empathy towards those around me, I have my doubts. I love chemistry and am intending to complete a Biochemistry BS degree. My school is - for all you rank lovers - ranked 220th nationally.. Nothing impressive but it is my only choice right now.
3) Will going to a state (public) school (University of Missouri- St. Louis) completely eliminate my chances at say: SLU or WashU? or any semi-prestigious private med schools?
1) It would be a mistake to go into medicine set on only one of the most-selective specialties. What if your med school grades and test scores are mediocre for reasons beyond your control. Will you drop out of med school. Refuse to go into a family practice residency if that's the only specialty for which you might qualify? Why would a med school take you if you are set on a single, very-difficult-to-get-into career goal?

2) Ask your physician, or those of your parents, if you can shadow in the office or on hospital rounds. See what they do all day. Volunteer to work in a local hospital or local skilled-level nursing home to see if you enjoy being around sick and injured folks all day.

3) No, not if you are in the top 5-7% of all their students. This means that keeping a high GPA is your top priority. It needs to be maintained while you engage in school activities and other extracurriculars, besides those mentioned above, to enhance your application: community service, research, leadership, teaching, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) It would be a mistake to go into medicine set on only one of the most-selective specialties. What if your med school grades and test scores are mediocre for reasons beyond your control. Will you drop out of med school. Refuse to go into a family practice residency if that's the only specialty for which you might qualify? Why would a med school take you if you are set on a single, very-difficult-to-get-into career goal?

2) Ask your physician, or those of your parents, if you can shadow in the office or on hospital rounds. See what they do all day. Volunteer to work in a local hospital or local skilled-level nursing home to see if you enjoy being around sick and injured folks all day.

3) No, not if you are in the top 5-7% of all their students. This means that keeping a high GPA is your top priority. It needs to be maintained while you engage in school activities and other extracurriculars, besides those mentioned above, to enhance your application: community service, research, leadership, teaching, etc.

I do not limit myself to just plastic surgery, it just really looks cool and would give me satisfaction. I've wanted to do it because of, when going through puberty, my gynecomastia popped up. I hated my man boobs and was so uncomfortable with them. I watched videos on removal of breast tissue and did that for months and then that led to other surgeries. I have since gotten over the fact of the minor breast tissue underneath my areolas but I really want to help those who are uncomfortable in their bodies. I also think practicing in emergency medicine would be exciting and thoughtful. It is nice to have a good physician taking care of your family and I want to be one of those. I just don't want to kill my chances going to a public U. I watch videos online of these vloggers of med school and they are all attending prestigious schools (even at the undergrad level). That has never been me but I wouldn't mind it if cost didn't get in the way. At undergrad I am planning on (as of right now) volunteering at a local hospital, tutoring chemistry and joining some clubs and possibly having a leadership role.

I do not limit myself to just plastic surgery, it just really looks cool and would give me satisfaction.

I also think practicing in emergency medicine would be exciting and thoughtful. It is nice to have a good physician taking care of your family and I want to be one of those.

I just don't want to kill my chances going to a public U.

At undergrad I am planning on (as of right now) volunteering at a local hospital, tutoring chemistry and joining some clubs and possibly having a leadership role.
Sounds good.

Sounds good.

Oh and I forgot to say.. I love your name and picture. I have 5 cats and they are all currently sleeping on their new bed! :)

Reactions: 1 user