Astro Career Center and "A Roadmap for Recruiting Medical Students into Radiation Oncology during a Period of Waning Interest"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, FMV is largely BS. For their to be a legal case, they have to be paying you above what you bring in based on you making up the difference referring patients elsewhere in house. But it doesn't really matter. They are going to pay you what someone will take. The "excuse" of why they can't go higher doesn't matter, it's just insulting, that's all. Everyone would be wise to avoid engaging on the FMV/stark strawman. They just are saying no to your salary request, that's all, and want to act like it's out of their hands.

Spencer, IA was advertising 850k salary, 10 weeks PTO, and 200k sign-on for a while. All of that turned out to be false. Rad onc ads almost always state "competitive compensation per MGMA guidelines" So we have to play this stupid game of acting interested at any price before getting an offer and trying to negotiate. Whereas in a healthy market, we would just say "sounds, great, I'm interested, here is my fee for my professional services."

WIth regards to the academic satellite thing, I have tried to reject their "faculty appointment" in the past (for a full time clinical very far away from the main site position) and request to be paid as a staff (non-academic) physician. That request resulted in the job offer being pulled as simply asking was considered unprofessional and lacking dedication to the academic mission. So dumb.

The offer was pulled? I have requested many, many things in my contracts, majority have been rejected. Many have been much more broader than what you asked. You run in fascinating circles! The administrators seem like comic book villains!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
The offer was pulled? I have requested many, many things in my contracts, majority have been rejected. Many have been much more broader than what you asked. You run in fascinating circles! The administrators seem like comic book villains!
I think it's a combination of bad luck and not being good at negotiating. With a little bit of some less impressive names and places on my C.V. thrown in removing the need to woo and acting more like they are throwing me a bone. Oh and of course a horribly imbalanced labor market.

It always devolves into this frustrating back-and-forth on a personal level with admins feigning offense at rejection of their generosity.

The locums life sirspamalot is promoting is attractive if for nothing else, the easier ability to completely detach yourself from that nonsense and say "here is my availability, fee schedule, and terms, contact my secretary/admin/wife-who-i-keep-on-the-payroll-for-tax-reasons if you would like to schedule." Unfortunately the market has basically precluded this until (maybe) very recently.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
HO are out there leveraging this market, but there will be a big downside long term. Exempting our flying colleague, locums alone is not a great lifestyle for most folks and a world full of just locums docs would provide poor care. (Not saying you can't be a great doc and a locums, just saying that you need continuity of care for the best care to occur.) Smaller centers will close, more consolidation will occur and management will think creatively to change the role of HO.

HO is already a specialty with very intensive use of mid-levels/APPs. As hospital by-laws and other factors are changed out of necessity to accommodate the shortage of HO willing to play the traditional role, HO will become more of a manager of mid-levels, with the value of the providers themselves in some ways diminished.
Biggest threat to Heme/Onc.... when some CEO decides to give mid-levels the privileges to write chemo orders.

Undersupply can be good for the job market, but tread carefully,

Biggest threat to Heme/Onc.... when some CEO decides to give mid-levels the privileges to write chemo orders.

I consider myself a forever locums. Now, I may have a PSA (1099) but reality says things can change whenever and wherever unless you're in a lifer job (VA or academia). So, why not maximize it?

I don't mind being away 50% of the week, but its not for everyone. Then again, my compensation and work/life balance are really peak form.

Reactions: 3 users
The locums life sirspamalot is promoting is attractive if for nothing else, the easier ability to completely detach yourself from that nonsense and say "here is my availability, fee schedule, and terms, contact my secretary/admin/wife-who-i-keep-on-the-payroll-for-tax-reasons if you would like to schedule."
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Reactions: 1 users

Nah. Won't happen anytime soon. Anyways, the future is what the future is. Goodwill in the future is what they call hopium. I need my pay today.

#2500orGTFO. Need me to show up on demand? Got a schedule to fill and need someone qualified and ready? Sure, come see me. But you aren't doing me a favor, I'm doing you one. Remember..

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Seen places where APPs approving chemo C2+. Patients hate it. But no one asked them and even crap Press Ganey isn't going to change that.

The highest advertised income I have seen for anything rad onc in the past five years was that job in Show Low Arizona for $650k with like 25 patients typically under treatment. That job only lasted 1 or 2 months on the astro career center before it disappeared. I don't recall anyone ever posting anything like >$700k in a publicly advertised position.
That job constantly is reopening. Over and over. I told them 3k (plus expenses) and they were unhappy. I am very happy presently. Lol. If you want a quality doc to live out there, prepare to pay up..cause it is what it is...

ps. Love the remix bros, hate the orange schm&ck.

Last edited:
  • Haha
That job constantly is reopening. Over and over. I told them 3k and they were unhappy. I am very happy presently. Lol. If you want a quality doc to live out there, prepare to pay up..cause it is what it is...

I feel like one can arrange a million dollar deal for Show Low

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That job constantly is reopening. Over and over. I told them 3k (plus expenses) and they were unhappy. I am very happy presently. Lol. If you want a quality doc to live out there, prepare to pay up..cause it is what it is...

That's the correct rate for a place like Show Low. Good for you for sticking to your guns. However, I am not surprised at all that they refused. Suppose $3200/day including expenses x 254 days a year = $812k. I've already done this math elsewhere but a $650k salary + $100k worth of locums-covered PTO + benefits and W2 payroll expense for the hired employee comes out to basically exactly this. It's a wash. Some admin is all puckered about the idea of paying a locums the SAME, forget about more than as is common with literally every other specialty, as what they are trying to get a perm hire for. Huge red flag for this place. And I've talked to them before, and I am hyperaware to lookout for toxicity from the department manager position, and I'll tell you that this place was setting off every alarm bell possible.

The reality is, because it's within driving distance of Phoenix, they will eventually fill it with a naive new grad at 650k or less. Forget about a million here, that's only for places 6+ hours from any type of remotely reasonable population center.

The reality is, because it's within driving distance of Phoenix, they will eventually fill it with a naive new grad at 650k or less. Forget about a million here, that's only for places 6+ hours from any type of remotely reasonable population center.

Eh, sort of?

1668972356398.png

I think meaning - you can do easy weekday trip.

Buying a plane (and I know a RadOnc that did this - curious if SirSpam is same guy) and flying every week is super disruptive. Like if I did it, I’d fly commercial, bc of fear of becoming a rich white guy (isn’t that who dies usually?). Every week dealing with that.. idk. I don’t need that in my life.

With that being said, I feel like they would make a good package. I’ve had some contact in past.

Like i said, you need to be getting to the 5-6 hour range to really have negotiating power based on geography given the dismally geographically restricted state of our specialty's job market. Somebody with ties to Phoenix will take it, keep a home in Phoenix, and a crash pad in Show Low with plans to do it until something better comes along locally. Show Low seems to think they will find someone who wants to permanently move there and never leave, spending their weekends at the local farmer's market while occasionally going out to dinner at Chili's. If they get a sense you don't want to relocate there and instead want to commute in and out on the weekend, the conversation is over. These places are delusional (Kearney I'm looking at you). For subspecialty services like ours, they are going to have to pay out the a$$ and let someone come 3-4 days a week. They already do this for many other specialties like ENT.

Buying a plane (and I know a RadOnc that did this - curious if SirSpam is same guy) and flying every week is super disruptive. Like if I did it, I’d fly commercial, bc of fear of becoming a rich white guy (isn’t that who dies usually?). Every week dealing with that.. idk. I don’t need that in my life.

You're playing with fire. Professional pilots who fly for a living do it every day on heavy planes with redundant systems and co-pilots and constantly train in the simulator for every ridiculous situation under the sun (left engine catches on fire 2 minutes after takeoff, plane behind you's engine also exploded on the runway, so runway out of service, copilot simultaneously had a heart attack, and a passenger is beating up a flight attendant, etc).

So many doctors think they can hop in a little single engine plane alone that flies 4 times a month and GPS and ATC will get them out of any trouble that comes up. To do it even close to safely (and it will never be as safe as flying commercial above), you have to constantly be training, which sucks an enormous amount of time and money. It's not worth it from a practical perspective, and can only be reasonable if you enjoy it for what it is: a very dangerous hobby.

Stories all over the place, not hard to even find a recent one who was doing exactly this: commuting out via plane to rural AZ. I'm sure he was getting paid a hell of a lot more than Show Low will pay rad onc locums!

So many doctors think they can hop in a little single engine plane alone that flies 4 times a month and GPS and ATC will get them out of any trouble that comes up. To do it even close to safely (and it will never be as safe as flying commercial above), you have to constantly be training, which sucks an enormous amount of time and money. It's not worth it from a practical perspective, and can only be reasonable if you enjoy it for what it is: a very dangerous hobby.

Stories all over the place, not hard to even find a recent one who was doing exactly this: commuting out via plane to rural AZ. I'm sure he was getting paid a hell of a lot more than Show Low will pay rad onc locums!

Yep. Dunning Kruger

Last edited:
That's the correct rate for a place like Show Low. Good for you for sticking to your guns. However, I am not surprised at all that they refused. Suppose $3200/day including expenses x 254 days a year = $812k. I've already done this math elsewhere but a $650k salary + $100k worth of locums-covered PTO + benefits and W2 payroll expense for the hired employee comes out to basically exactly this. It's a wash. Some admin is all puckered about the idea of paying a locums the SAME, forget about more than as is common with literally every other specialty, as what they are trying to get a perm hire for. Huge red flag for this place. And I've talked to them before, and I am hyperaware to lookout for toxicity from the department manager position, and I'll tell you that this place was setting off every alarm bell possible.

radonc is probably the only specialty where locums on average pays less per day than employment.

radonc is probably the only specialty where locums on average pays less per day than employment.
My locums get paid about 50% what I do for <5% of the work. If it's less than a week, seems fair, and the vast majority of the time someone does locums in rad onc, it's 2-5 days and it's babysitting. I suspect in other specialties, you're actually expected to do something.

My locums get paid about 50% what I do for <5% of the work. If it's less than a week, seems fair, and the vast majority of the time someone does locums in rad onc, it's 2-5 days and it's babysitting. I suspect in other specialties, you're actually expected to do something.
Yah. The lucrative nature of the business and inane supervision rule allows for “babysitting”.

What other specialty can you just clear the schedule for a week?

Yah. The lucrative nature of the business and inane supervision rule allows for “babysitting”.

It's not ideal for more than a day or at most a week here or there, since they aren't seeing consults, doing planning, starting patients etc

You're playing with fire. Professional pilots who fly for a living do it every day on heavy planes with redundant systems and co-pilots and constantly train in the simulator for every ridiculous situation under the sun (left engine catches on fire 2 minutes after takeoff, plane behind you's engine also exploded on the runway, so runway out of service, copilot simultaneously had a heart attack, and a passenger is beating up a flight attendant, etc).

If I got a plane I’d get something like a Cirrus with a built in ballistic parachute

If I got a plane I’d get something like a Cirrus with a built in ballistic parachute
And if you're smart you'd get excellent training, maintain your plane by knowing it inside and out, and know your limits. And yes.. A Cirrus.

17 years and over 2k hours.. Don't be a numnut and you'll be fine. You can die on the highway too.

Other specialties for which its easier than radonc to clear the schedule, assuming you can get someone to cover your call, which is pretty easy in most practices: primary care, ENT, GI, cardiology, dermatology, GI, pulmonology, general surgery, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery (including all its subspecialties), pediatrics, every pediatric subspecialty, rheumatology, trauma surgery, plastic surgery, vascular surgery...etc. Edit: I forgot anesthesia, ER, and hospitalist medicine.

I do love radonc, but leaving for a week is much more challenging than most other specialties, between IT, IGRT coverage, needing OTVs, needing to be there for tx start/SBRT/SRS/HDR, etc.

Last edited:
I do love radonc, but leaving for a week is much more challenging than most other specialties, between IT, IGRT coverage, needing OTVs, needing to be there for tx start/SBRT/SRS/HDR, etc.
Yes. If travel is important to you, especially international travel, rad onc is a bad specialty choice compared to shift-based fields (EM, anesthesia, hospitalist, etc) and fields where you can work whenever you want via locums and still have a good career (everything except rad onc). If you're just looking to avoid nights and weekends and never leave town, then yeah it's awesome. EM and anesthesia doctors always talking about their recent European trips, diving trips in the Caribbean, etc. This seems less common in rad onc. Most just content to get home to their kids in the evenings and have weekends free for their activities. I travel a lot for a rad onc, but I don't think I've had more than about 7 days off in a row since finishing training. Mostly limited to long weekends. Scheduling that is just too much of a PITA. You want to go to Asia, India, you need 2 weeks min.

Something extra sucky about being in a field with horrible geographic flexibility that also makes it incredibly difficult to leave whatever geographic locale you end up attached to.

Hmm

I’ve worked for 13 years

I think I visited 20 countries

2 week plus trips to: india (x2), Vietnam (x2), Thailand (x2), Japan, China. Going to India in January for 2 weeks.

RO isn’t making my travel hard. The kids are

We have very different experiences.

Yes. If travel is important to you, especially international travel, rad onc is a bad specialty choice compared to shift-based fields (EM, anesthesia, hospitalist, etc) and fields where you can work whenever you want via locums and still have a good career (everything except rad onc). If you're just looking to avoid nights and weekends and never leave town, then yeah it's awesome. EM and anesthesia doctors always talking about their recent European trips, diving trips in the Caribbean, etc. This seems less common in rad onc. Most just content to get home to their kids in the evenings and have weekends free for their activities. I travel a lot for a rad onc, but I don't think I've had more than about 7 days off in a row since finishing training. Mostly limited to long weekends. Scheduling that is just too much of a PITA. You want to go to Asia, India, you need 2 weeks min.

Something extra sucky about being in a field with horrible geographic flexibility that also makes it incredibly difficult to leave whatever geographic locale you end up attached to.

I've taken 2 weeks off in a row the last two summers, and it was very difficult. Locums wasn't able to handle the volume of my practice, and I came back to messes each time. I may just have the family go somewhere for 3 weeks this summer, but then head back in the middle myself to make sure everything's ok with the practice.

• Care
Hmm

I’ve worked for 13 years

2 week plus trips to: india (x2), Vietnam (x2), Thailand (x2), Japan, China

Jealous!! There certainly are groups out there that value PTO and taking lots of vacation (10+ weeks) and are big on covering for each other and not making as much as they otherwise could. I find these are more rare.
And in a hospital employed position, yes in some places I guess you technically could take your 30 days of PTO all in a row, but then you are left with whatever boneheaded idea admin has to cover you while you are gone whether that is a locums on site 3 days a week and an NP the other days, or who knows but it can be a total headache if you walk back into a setting where there has been significant treatment planning/patient management done while you were gone and not just babysitting, which is basically anything more than 3-5 days.

Hmm

I’ve worked for 13 years

2 week plus trips to: india (x2), Vietnam (x2), Thailand (x2), Japan, China. Going to India in January for 2 weeks.

Works in big groups with clear cross coverage happening. Hard for a smaller/solo setup

so, it sounds like choices ? I will take less money to work less hard and have more free time.

Private group gave 9.5 weeks for partners

Last few jobs are about 6 weeks w an admin day.

I’ll consider buying more as kids become more interactive.

so, it sounds like choices ? I will take less money to work less hard and have more free time.

Took 8 weeks off the year before covid... Time off wasn't the issue. It's the amount of time in a row away from building and maintaining the practice.

8 1-week vacation stints way different than 2 4-week blocks out of the country. A locums will never maintain and build an independent practice the way a successful partner will.

For me, it was a nightmare to leave for more than 5 days even if I technically could. I took multiple trips to Australia basically because I could (awesome country to visit btw). 30 hours of travel, 3-4 days hanging out, then 30 hours back got old real quick. Also, it looks really bad when you are gone more than rarely, even it is only for a few days at a time. You're still doing all the work and a partner or locums is babysitting for you, but admin doesn't see it that way. Also, I think it rubs the wrong way on staff, who often get something ridiculous like 2 weeks of PTO and are further limited financially and by family obligations so they never can leave town, and you're off in Vegas or NYC once a month for a long weekend.

I would much rather have a setup where I could take a single solid 2 week trip every season than more frequent long weekends. Sure, I would take less money for this. But I haven't found that option out there! I have found employers much more willing to negotiate on salary than on flexible time off (the last place I had an offer, I tried to negotiate an extra 100k of salary and from 30 days PTO to 40 days PTO -- they agreed to 100k but wouldn't budge at all on the PTO, literally would have been a dealbreaker for them).

If you have a 4 day week with 30 days PTO that can be reasonably be taken more than a few days at a time and an option to "buy more" if you want, you have a really great gig.

Who says there's no jobs? >3500+ new jobs were just posted over the past two days.

• Hmm

Without a doubt: one of the best movies I've ever seen.. right up there with Fight Club. For those that want more: Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels..

Without a doubt: one of the best movies I've ever seen.. right up there with Fight Club. For those that want more: Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels..
Layer cake came out around then as well.... Been awhile since i watched, but remember it being pretty damn good

What is the #1 sign of an organization with excessive bureaucracy that has too much money? Hiring "consultants" to tell you what you already know.

ASTRO statement on RO workforce
Anyone got the scoop on the embargoed workforce study ASTRO commissioned that just got released to the PDs.... Supposedly will get published next week, after rank lists are submitted of course.

Figured we should keep the info in this thread rather than the RO Twitter one... Going to get pretty busy here I'm guessing!

Last edited:
Anyone got the scoop on the embargoed workforce study ASTRO commissioned that just got released to the PDs.... Supposedly will get published next week, after rank lists are submitted of course.

Figured we should keep the info in this thread rather than the RO Twitter one... Going to get pretty busy here I'm guessing!
Rank List certification deadline was March 1.

03/01/2023, rank order list certification deadline.
03/13/2023, applicants learn if they have matched.
03/14/2023, programs begin reviewing SOAP applications.
03/16/2023; SOAP rounds 1 through 4.
03/17/2023; match day.

Why on earth does Astro need program directors to review the work force study first before releasing it to the general membership? Who knows. Given the above timeline it appears it has nothing to do with the match though. It would be great if one day Astro stood with and treated its dues paying membership equally.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
03/17/2023; match day.

Why on earth does Astro need program directors to review the work force study first before releasing it to the general membership? Who knows. Given the above timeline it appears it has nothing to do with the match though. It would be great if one day Astro stood with and treated its dues paying membership equally.
It's like embargoing the results of an ivermectin in COVID study and letting tucker Carlson and that md phd student review the results.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
03/17/2023; match day.

Seems like illegal collusion within a labor market but what do I know. At the bare minimum it's a terrible look.

• Love
Guys. ASTRO sucks at representing the interests of doctors.

Reactions: 5 users
For chairmen RO doctors it does a pretty good job cmon

It’s amazing. It’s mostly meetings, pet projects, gas lighting, people kissing your ass, and the occasional patient. Also people think you’re the best clinician because you’re the chair of the Dept…haha!

The good life indeed.

• Haha