Atlantic Bridge 2019 - Chances, Acceptance, Waitlist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten an acceptance into TCD recently? I’m keeping my fingers crossed I’ll hear back from then before 9Jun because that’s when I have to accept or rejected my offer

Nothing at all!! They’re quite behind it seems. AB can’t even give an estimate. But I’m 100% sure I’m going with Galway anyways so

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone that received an acceptance from RCSI-Bahrain want to connect!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email from Atlantic Bridge: “Trinity College Dublin and NUI Galway have both released two rounds of offers, and unfortunately you were not offered a place. However, your application is still open and active, and will remain so until you receive a decision from both universities. We are not certain if they will issue any more offers.”

I just got an email from Atlantic Bridge: “Trinity College Dublin and NUI Galway have both released two rounds of offers, and unfortunately you were not offered a place. However, your application is still open and active, and will remain so until you receive a decision from both universities. We are not certain if they will issue any more offers.”

You got into RCSI-MUB though, right? Or was it UCC?

You got into RCSI-MUB though, right? Or was it UCC?

RCSI MUB. Which is amazing, don’t get me wrong. But they don’t take any USA loans. So now I’m begging my family to find the money, but I’m still coming up short. The other schools do accept USA loans.

Trinity are a total non-starter. It's pretty annoying, actually. I would not chose Trinity over Galway even if they did happen to send me an offer.

Last edited:
Trinity are a total non-starter. It's pretty annoying, actually. I would not chose Trinity over Galway even if they did happen to send me an offer.

I applied to both but for some reason I felt a pull to Galway. Good thing they accepted me because TCD rejected me today.

RCSI MUB. Which is amazing, don’t get me wrong. But they don’t take any USA loans. So now I’m begging my family to find the money, but I’m still coming up short. The other schools do accept USA loans.

Ugh that’s rough. Well I wish you all the luck!! Hopefully everything works out.

Guys make sure about Galway's electives and which hospitals they are affiliated with in US and Canada. This is a big step because it will help you with your Letter of Recommendation when applying for Residency after finishing the program.

Wish you all the best and thanks to everyone who gave me hope and gave me a positive feedback about my stats. My plan was not to apply this year, and was aiming for next year until I knew about Atlantic Bridge and how they still open to take applicants until April 4th. I was lucky enough to get a spot in UCC. I will be available to anyone who has any questions regarding the process or wants a feedback about UCC or the program later on. Congrats to everyone who got offers and still positive and crossing fingers for you guys who still waiting :happy:

Reactions: 3 users
Guys make sure about Galway's electives and which hospitals they are affiliated with in US and Canada. This is a big step because it will help you with your Letter of Recommendation when applying for Residency after finishing the program.

Wish you all the best and thanks to everyone who gave me hope and gave me a positive feedback about my stats. My plan was not to apply this year, and was aiming for next year until I knew about Atlantic Bridge and how they still open to take applicants until April 4th. I was lucky enough to get a spot in UCC. I will be available to anyone who has any questions regarding the process or wants a feedback about UCC or the program later on. Congrats to everyone who got offers and still positive and crossing fingers for you guys who still waiting :happy:
Most of the irish schools have said if you want to residency on the US/canada you have to do summer rotation there in order to secure letters of recommendation. The rotations themselves arent actually done through the but the schools can help you set them up, but there is some online system you use to apply for the summer rotations once your clinical years have started. Before clinical years you can only do oberverships which wont necissarily count toward experiences for residency matches.

Ok I’m quite confused on this process. Can you elaborate a little more? I have a friend of a friend who went to Ireland and got back to Canada and now is a surgeon at Mount Sinai. She said the key to getting back in is doing your electives here. So how exactly do electives work? Which year students are eligible? How do you find more info on applying and what options are out there? Like how early on should i start looking into this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both but for some reason I felt a pull to Galway. Good thing they accepted me because TCD rejected me today.

I am so sorry to hear that. Was it directly from TCD or was it an email from AB?

Ok I’m quite confused on this process. Can you elaborate a little more? I have a friend of a friend who went to Ireland and got back to Canada and now is a surgeon at Mount Sinai. She said the key to getting back in is doing your electives here. So how exactly do electives work? Which year students are eligible? How do you find more info on applying and what options are out there? Like how early on should i start looking into this?
As far as I know, in the summer you are able to register in a clinical elective in North America. The cost depends on the program and usually lasts 2-4 weeks. Some people do 2-3 electives to gain the experience and help with the LORs. UCC offers this I think in summer after 4th year. For NUIG, I am not sure, you would have to call AB and check with them or contact the University.

Your friend is correct that in order to come back you need to do summer electives in NA. For both Canada and us there is an online portal where you can apply for rotations in a lottery, otherwise you have to work with your school to secure the rotation outside of using the portal. Before clinical years you can do oberverships (informal rotations), and after clinical years start you can do official rotations.

I am so sorry to hear that. Was it directly from TCD or was it an email from AB?

Oh no worries! I am absolutely over the moon to go to Galway. It was my first choice anyways. And yes, both emails (acceptance and rejection) came through AB.

Oh no worries! I am absolutely over the moon to go to Galway. It was my first choice anyways. And yes, both emails (acceptance and rejection) came through AB.
Congratulations and All the best at Galway and beyond! Thanks for clarifying. I am anxiously waiting to hear something (hopefully good news) from TCD.

Congratulations and All the best at Galway and beyond! Thanks for clarifying. I am anxiously waiting to hear something (hopefully good news) from TCD.

Good luck!! Hopefully my rejection is your acceptance!

Found this on NUIG website which details how to get rotations at international sites.
Clinical Electives - NUI Galway

Dont let this put u down. There might be an extra small round of offers that they dont know about. Also, you did not receive a rejection yet, means you still got a chance until August. Crossing fingers for all of you!
YOU WERE RIGHT!! I got my acceptance from NUIG today :) Rolling admissions really are a pain.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Guys just got offered a spot at UCD for GEM program. Im interviewing with them soon, anyone know what type of questions they will ask? Much appreciated

YOU WERE RIGHT!! I got my acceptance from NUIG today :) Rolling admissions really are a pain.
I am really happy to hear that you got it! Congratulations! now start working on the papers because not a lot of time left! Make sure you check with accommodations that are reserved for international students right away to get a spot. May this be a beginning of a great journey for all of us.

Will be declining my offer at UCD GEM, hope it goes to one of you guys!

Question for everyone what are the tuition amounts for this year? And are the fees that are posted on the Atlantic Bridge website consist of both the tuition and room and board or just tuition?

Question for everyone what are the tuition amounts for this year? And are the fees that are posted on the Atlantic Bridge website consist of both the tuition and room and board or just tuition?

I know NUIG is 39,000 Euros. This only includes tuition. Room, textbooks, etc are additional. Depends on where you stay I’ve seen room totalling at 500-1000 Euros per month and textbooks are about 560 Euros for the year.

I know NUIG is 39,000 Euros. This only includes tuition. Room, textbooks, etc are additional. Depends on where you stay I’ve seen room totalling at 500-1000 Euros per month and textbooks are about 560 Euros for the year.
When I did my visit at NUIG recently it seems cost of books is pretty low as they have online versions of the books for class and library copies most people use, was told by tour guide that very few people actually will buy textbooks.

When I did my visit at NUIG recently it seems cost of books is pretty low as they have online versions of the books for class and library copies most people use, was told by tour guide that very few people actually will buy textbooks.
Good to know!! This was the amount they filled in on my OSAP forms. Glad OSAP will give me money for it and I won’t have to spend it on books haha

Has anyone else been accepted to the NUIG five-year program? I’m hoping to connect with some people before heading over!

Good to know!! This was the amount they filled in on my OSAP forms. Glad OSAP will give me money for it and I won’t have to spend it on books haha
Did you take OSAP grants & loan or only grants for NUIG?

Did you take OSAP grants & loan or only grants for NUIG?

So I’m the process of applying for OSAP right now. It takes a little longer as they a seem to have a new process. But they said I’m eligible for loans and grants/bursaries. And then I’m also taking out a bank loan.

So I’m the process of applying for OSAP right now. It takes a little longer as they a seem to have a new process. But they said I’m eligible for loans and grants/bursaries. And then I’m also taking out a bank loan.
I haven't applied to OSAP yet but I will be for NUIG. Is it true that we need AB or NUIG to fill out forms for us first? Just not really sure how the process works!

Same. I was really hoping to hear back last week because I have a job offer waiting for me, and they want an answer this week. The job was my back up plan. But now I’m in a situation where I have to risk declining the offer and then being rejected to med schools. Kind of a gamble.

Accept the job offer, you can always retract explaining your situation. But if you reject the job offer and don't get into medical school it's harder to find a job.

I haven't applied to OSAP yet but I will be for NUIG. Is it true that we need AB or NUIG to fill out forms for us first? Just not really sure how the process works!

Yeah it’s pretty simple. I just emailed the form to Winnie and she was able to send it off to NUIG and I had it back within a day.

Does anyone has the ranking and residency match for UCD vs NUIG and which one is preferred.

As a Canadian does anyone know if we are eligible for OSAP for UCD6 yr program, pus what types of grants/bursaries are available for Canadian. Much appreciated

Has anyone started looking into health insurance? If so, any tips and links are appreciated! Just not sure where to start, what to be looking for, what companies are good, etc. Thanks!

Does anyone has the ranking and residency match for UCD vs NUIG and which one is preferred.
NUIG and UCD both have great matching stats in the last 3 years. As far as I know, UCD does have a higher percentage when I was looking at the matching stats of 2019.

Has anyone started looking into health insurance? If so, any tips and links are appreciated! Just not sure where to start, what to be looking for, what companies are good, etc. Thanks!
OHIP can be your insurance but a lot of people did not recommend it because it is an insurance from Canada. This could conflict with getting through the immigration officer at the airport or even have a problem when trying to get your permanent resident card because they see how much can your insurance cover and what does it cover. On the other hand, Study and Protect is a private irish insurance for students. They also have a designated insurance for medical students too at an Irish university.

This is the link, and you can get a quote and then they will offer you the type of insurance you want. That depends on your personal preference
Medicover

I will definitely go with Study and Protect insurance because its just around 150 Euros a year and it is much better than getting a private insurance from Canada because it is easier to deal with when you're in Ireland and requesting your permanent resident card.

NOTE: This insurance includes many colleges such as mine (UCC) but does not include NUIG. I would suggest looking or emailing them if you can still use their products.

EDIT: Good news, check this link from NUIG website where they do say you can get Study and Protect " Tab 4 Content - NUI Galway "

In the letter NUIG sent you there should be a suggestion for health insurance companies to use, they offer some affordable plans.

NUIG and UCD both have great matching stats in the last 3 years. As far as I know, UCD does have a higher percentage when I was looking at the matching stats of 2019.
Where did you find the match data and what is it exactly as great matching is a little vague

OHIP can be your insurance but a lot of people did not recommend it because it is an insurance from Canada. This could conflict with getting through the immigration officer at the airport or even have a problem when trying to get your permanent resident card because they see how much can your insurance cover and what does it cover. On the other hand, Study and Protect is a private irish insurance for students. They also have a designated insurance for medical students too at an Irish university.

This is the link, and you can get a quote and then they will offer you the type of insurance you want. That depends on your personal preference
Medicover

I will definitely go with Study and Protect insurance because its just around 150 Euros a year and it is much better than getting a private insurance from Canada because it is easier to deal with when you're in Ireland and requesting your permanent resident card.

NOTE: This insurance includes many colleges such as mine (UCC) but does not include NUIG. I would suggest looking or emailing them if you can still use their products.

EDIT: Good news, check this link from NUIG website where they do say you can get Study and Protect " Tab 4 Content - NUI Galway "
Amazing!! Thank you so much. You’ve put my mind at ease.

Where did you find the match data and what is it exactly as great matching is a little vague
I cant start a convo with you, if you do, I will send you the presentation that was held in UCD that talks about matching in US and Canada.