Apr 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Honestly, I have only heard from UCC. Even though I wanted NUIG, but I did not hear anything from them yet. The deadline for UCC is May 17th. I’m going to wait until tomorrow, and if nothing in my inbox, I’m signing the offer for UCC. If anyone has a group that I could join for 5 year program, send through!

EDIT: I called AB, and they said NUIG has released their second round offers (which were limited and small amounts). Congratulations again to @Tdal94 for getting the offer. I questioned whether they will release anymore, and they were certain that no more will be released unless you are on waiting list.
Thanks for the update.
To be honest, I find this rolling admission process really frustrating. I wish they were more traditional in sending out acceptances and letting people know where they are on the 'waitlist'. :/

Dec 26, 2018
Has anyone gotten an acceptance into TCD recently? I’m keeping my fingers crossed I’ll hear back from then before 9Jun because that’s when I have to accept or rejected my offer

Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone gotten an acceptance into TCD recently? I’m keeping my fingers crossed I’ll hear back from then before 9Jun because that’s when I have to accept or rejected my offer
Nothing at all!! They’re quite behind it seems. AB can’t even give an estimate. But I’m 100% sure I’m going with Galway anyways so

Reactions: 19brillo95
Dec 26, 2018
I just got an email from Atlantic Bridge: “Trinity College Dublin and NUI Galway have both released two rounds of offers, and unfortunately you were not offered a place. However, your application is still open and active, and will remain so until you receive a decision from both universities. We are not certain if they will issue any more offers.”

Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I just got an email from Atlantic Bridge: “Trinity College Dublin and NUI Galway have both released two rounds of offers, and unfortunately you were not offered a place. However, your application is still open and active, and will remain so until you receive a decision from both universities. We are not certain if they will issue any more offers.”
You got into RCSI-MUB though, right? Or was it UCC?

Dec 26, 2018
You got into RCSI-MUB though, right? Or was it UCC?
RCSI MUB. Which is amazing, don’t get me wrong. But they don’t take any USA loans. So now I’m begging my family to find the money, but I’m still coming up short. The other schools do accept USA loans.

Mar 12, 2019
Trinity are a total non-starter. It's pretty annoying, actually. I would not chose Trinity over Galway even if they did happen to send me an offer.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Trinity are a total non-starter. It's pretty annoying, actually. I would not chose Trinity over Galway even if they did happen to send me an offer.
I applied to both but for some reason I felt a pull to Galway. Good thing they accepted me because TCD rejected me today.

Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
RCSI MUB. Which is amazing, don’t get me wrong. But they don’t take any USA loans. So now I’m begging my family to find the money, but I’m still coming up short. The other schools do accept USA loans.
Ugh that’s rough. Well I wish you all the luck!! Hopefully everything works out.

F18

Like a father, like a son.
Bronze Donor
Mar 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Guys make sure about Galway's electives and which hospitals they are affiliated with in US and Canada. This is a big step because it will help you with your Letter of Recommendation when applying for Residency after finishing the program.

Wish you all the best and thanks to everyone who gave me hope and gave me a positive feedback about my stats. My plan was not to apply this year, and was aiming for next year until I knew about Atlantic Bridge and how they still open to take applicants until April 4th. I was lucky enough to get a spot in UCC. I will be available to anyone who has any questions regarding the process or wants a feedback about UCC or the program later on. Congrats to everyone who got offers and still positive and crossing fingers for you guys who still waiting :happy:

Dec 5, 2018
Guys make sure about Galway's electives and which hospitals they are affiliated with in US and Canada. This is a big step because it will help you with your Letter of Recommendation when applying for Residency after finishing the program.

Wish you all the best and thanks to everyone who gave me hope and gave me a positive feedback about my stats. My plan was not to apply this year, and was aiming for next year until I knew about Atlantic Bridge and how they still open to take applicants until April 4th. I was lucky enough to get a spot in UCC. I will be available to anyone who has any questions regarding the process or wants a feedback about UCC or the program later on. Congrats to everyone who got offers and still positive and crossing fingers for you guys who still waiting :happy:
Most of the irish schools have said if you want to residency on the US/canada you have to do summer rotation there in order to secure letters of recommendation. The rotations themselves arent actually done through the but the schools can help you set them up, but there is some online system you use to apply for the summer rotations once your clinical years have started. Before clinical years you can only do oberverships which wont necissarily count toward experiences for residency matches.

Reactions: danialejaz and F18
Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

Ok I’m quite confused on this process. Can you elaborate a little more? I have a friend of a friend who went to Ireland and got back to Canada and now is a surgeon at Mount Sinai. She said the key to getting back in is doing your electives here. So how exactly do electives work? Which year students are eligible? How do you find more info on applying and what options are out there? Like how early on should i start looking into this?

F18

Bronze Donor
Mar 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok I’m quite confused on this process. Can you elaborate a little more? I have a friend of a friend who went to Ireland and got back to Canada and now is a surgeon at Mount Sinai. She said the key to getting back in is doing your electives here. So how exactly do electives work? Which year students are eligible? How do you find more info on applying and what options are out there? Like how early on should i start looking into this?
As far as I know, in the summer you are able to register in a clinical elective in North America. The cost depends on the program and usually lasts 2-4 weeks. Some people do 2-3 electives to gain the experience and help with the LORs. UCC offers this I think in summer after 4th year. For NUIG, I am not sure, you would have to call AB and check with them or contact the University.

Reactions: Tdal94
Dec 5, 2018
Your friend is correct that in order to come back you need to do summer electives in NA. For both Canada and us there is an online portal where you can apply for rotations in a lottery, otherwise you have to work with your school to secure the rotation outside of using the portal. Before clinical years you can do oberverships (informal rotations), and after clinical years start you can do official rotations.

Reactions: Tdal94 and F18
Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I am so sorry to hear that. Was it directly from TCD or was it an email from AB?
Oh no worries! I am absolutely over the moon to go to Galway. It was my first choice anyways. And yes, both emails (acceptance and rejection) came through AB.

Mar 29, 2019
Oh no worries! I am absolutely over the moon to go to Galway. It was my first choice anyways. And yes, both emails (acceptance and rejection) came through AB.
Congratulations and All the best at Galway and beyond! Thanks for clarifying. I am anxiously waiting to hear something (hopefully good news) from TCD.

Dec 5, 2018
Found this on NUIG website which details how to get rotations at international sites.
Clinical Electives - NUI Galway

May 20, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Hey Guys just got offered a spot at UCD for GEM program. Im interviewing with them soon, anyone know what type of questions they will ask? Much appreciated

F18

Bronze Donor
Mar 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
YOU WERE RIGHT!! I got my acceptance from NUIG today :) Rolling admissions really are a pain.
I am really happy to hear that you got it! Congratulations! now start working on the papers because not a lot of time left! Make sure you check with accommodations that are reserved for international students right away to get a spot. May this be a beginning of a great journey for all of us.

Reactions: danialejaz
May 23, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Question for everyone what are the tuition amounts for this year? And are the fees that are posted on the Atlantic Bridge website consist of both the tuition and room and board or just tuition?

Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Question for everyone what are the tuition amounts for this year? And are the fees that are posted on the Atlantic Bridge website consist of both the tuition and room and board or just tuition?
I know NUIG is 39,000 Euros. This only includes tuition. Room, textbooks, etc are additional. Depends on where you stay I’ve seen room totalling at 500-1000 Euros per month and textbooks are about 560 Euros for the year.

Reactions: fnabi
Dec 5, 2018
I know NUIG is 39,000 Euros. This only includes tuition. Room, textbooks, etc are additional. Depends on where you stay I’ve seen room totalling at 500-1000 Euros per month and textbooks are about 560 Euros for the year.
When I did my visit at NUIG recently it seems cost of books is pretty low as they have online versions of the books for class and library copies most people use, was told by tour guide that very few people actually will buy textbooks.

Reactions: fnabi and Tdal94
Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
When I did my visit at NUIG recently it seems cost of books is pretty low as they have online versions of the books for class and library copies most people use, was told by tour guide that very few people actually will buy textbooks.
Good to know!! This was the amount they filled in on my OSAP forms. Glad OSAP will give me money for it and I won’t have to spend it on books haha

Reactions: fnabi
Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone else been accepted to the NUIG five-year program? I’m hoping to connect with some people before heading over!

Apr 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you take OSAP grants & loan or only grants for NUIG?
So I’m the process of applying for OSAP right now. It takes a little longer as they a seem to have a new process. But they said I’m eligible for loans and grants/bursaries. And then I’m also taking out a bank loan.

Reactions: F18