Atlantic Bridge 2019 - Chances, Acceptance, Waitlist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called AB! No NUIG or TCD offers released recently.
Yea same, I called but they suggested to contact Robert. So I emailed him, and thankfully he replied quick with
"We do not have an exact timeline of when additional offers will be released.
It is likely that second round offers from UCC and NUIG will be sent out
over the next few weeks."

I guess it's a waiting game. Yay time to start summer school :arghh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yea same, I called but they suggested to contact Robert. So I emailed him, and thankfully he replied quick with
"We do not have an exact timeline of when additional offers will be released.
It is likely that second round offers from UCC and NUIG will be sent out
over the next few weeks."

I guess it is a waiting game. Yay time to start summer school :arghh:

Ughhh that sucks. Hopefully it’s sometime next week for NUIG because they would have had this week to sort through after first rounds.

Ughhh that sucks. Hopefully it’s sometime next week for NUIG because they would have had this week to sort through after first rounds.
I am worried about how long it will take me to talk to the Bank, do the health insurance, cancel my university program, and obv look for the accomidations. I just hope we get thru it fine :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am worried about how long it will take me to talk to the Bank, do the health insurance, cancel my university program, and obv look for the accomidations. I just hope we get thru it fine :)

There's also the doctor health assessment, police certificates from all countries you have lived in, and immunization records/blood tests. I had to get certificates from Canada and the US since I lived in both countries. Really annoying

There's also the doctor health assessment, police certificates from all countries you have lived in, and immunization records/blood tests. I had to get certificates from Canada and the US since I lived in both countries. Really annoying
Oh god, that will take a while for me

Oh god, that will take a while for me
While waiting just gather the info if you're worried of time lines. Get all the phone numbers you'll need to get all that information, then if you get an acceptance it's just a matter of making phone calls, not starting from point zero. If you don't get in, you'll need that info later anyways at some point so it's not wasted effort.

Reactions: 1 users
Declined my offer to NUIG. Really hope it goes to one of you! ^

Reactions: 4 users
Declined my offer to NUIG. I hope it goes to someone deserving. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that interviewed with RCSI on Apr 26-27 heard back yet?

Kind of an irrelevant question but I was curious as to what RCSI's GEP acceptance rate is ?

Has anyone that interviewed with RCSI on Apr 26-27 heard back yet?

Did you go to the interview? I cancelled mine because i really didn’t want to go school in Bahrain haha. Are you considering it as an option?

This might be of interest for all N. American candidates applying to Irish schools via Atlantic Bridge who also have a EU passport. I found this on Atlantic Bridge website.

"All graduates of Irish medical schools who hold EU Passports and who applied to medical school in Ireland through the CAO (Central Applications Office) are guaranteed an internship post in Ireland. Graduates who hold EU Passports, but did not apply through the CAO, are ranked below those who hold CAO numbers, regardless of their centile ranking in their graduating class. This system was introduced in early-2016.
American and Canadian citizens are eligible to apply for any remaining residency positions but it should be noted that there are very few places available and the application process will be extremely competitive."

This would mean that in fact we are not guaranteed a internship spot as we applied through AB and not CAO. During my interview I was told that with a EU citizenship I am guaranteed a internship spot, however after reading this it seems like that is not the case as I applied via AB. We simply have a higher chance of getting a internship spot when compared with non-EU candidates.

This might be of interest for all N. American candidates applying to Irish schools via Atlantic Bridge who also have a EU passport. I found this on Atlantic Bridge website.

"All graduates of Irish medical schools who hold EU Passports and who applied to medical school in Ireland through the CAO (Central Applications Office) are guaranteed an internship post in Ireland. Graduates who hold EU Passports, but did not apply through the CAO, are ranked below those who hold CAO numbers, regardless of their centile ranking in their graduating class. This system was introduced in early-2016.
American and Canadian citizens are eligible to apply for any remaining residency positions but it should be noted that there are very few places available and the application process will be extremely competitive."

This would mean that in fact we are not guaranteed a internship spot as we applied through AB and not CAO. During my interview I was told that with a EU citizenship I am guaranteed a internship spot, however after reading this it seems like that is not the case as I applied via AB. We simply have a higher chance of getting a internship spot when compared with non-EU candidates.

Yup, that's been the case for a while now. Though I also read somewhere that if you hold an EU passport (Irish preferable to other EU, I assume) then you're guaranteed an internship, after CAO students have been placed. And if no spot is available, it is their responsibility to create spots for them.

Did you go to the interview? I cancelled mine because i really didn’t want to go school in Bahrain haha. Are you considering it as an option?

Yeah I’m keeping an open mind and seriously considering it. I’ll admit Bahrain would be a cultural shock for me. But after doing some research and having coffee with 2 people in my community that lived in Bahrain, I realized it’s a great school, safe country and cheaper than Ireland. I think it could be a great opportunity for me to grow... and maybe even learn a little Arabic.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m keeping an open mind and seriously considering it. I’ll admit Bahrain would be a cultural shock for me. But after doing some research and having coffee with 2 people in my community that lived in Bahrain, I realized it’s a great school, safe country and cheaper than Ireland. I think it could be a great opportunity for me for me to grow... and maybe even learn a little Arabic.

That’s amazing! I hope you get in then. I have a hard time with the culture shock so I know for me personally it would be difficult with the stress of living away and the stress of med school. I have a family friend (one of my references) who’s an orthopaedic surgeon and sat on admissions board for McMaster med and he said once you get to the interview portion, they already think you’re a strong candidate and would be a successful med student. They’re just making sure you have bedside manor and can articulate ideas. So I would say your chances of getting in after an interview are pretty good!

I hope I’m not dreaming because I just received my acceptance to UCC 5 year program Yay!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
I hope I’m not dreaming because I just received my acceptance to UCC 5 year program Yay!!!!

congratulations!!! you already did interview with UCC?

congratulations!!! you already did interview with UCC?
University College Cork does not require an interview, so im glad that im skipping this part.

That's so awesome, congrats man! Did you hear from the university directly in the middle of the night or did you get emailed by Atlantic bridge directly?

That's so awesome, congrats man! Did you hear from the university directly in the middle of the night or did you get emailed by Atlantic bridge directly?

I’m curious as to if these acceptances come at any time or only during AB operation hours (their 9-5, my 12-8PM)

I’m curious as to if these acceptances come at any time or only during AB operation hours (their 9-5, my 12-8PM)
That's exactly why I'm asking, knowing that acceptances come during the day only will make my nights a lot less restless!

What other schools did you apply for?
I only applied to Cork and Galway because other options were not possible as my application was submitted so late (I submitted it April 8th). So far, only heard from Cork, but still looking to hear from Galway if possible. Cork gave me a deadline until May 17th as my acceptance was released May 3rd, but I got it today May 6th at 11 AM. I would love to hear from other people and their experience from Cork and Galway to decide which one should I go for. Please let me know what would you do if you were in this position.

Thank you :), and I heard from Atlantic Bridge through email. As I looked at the acceptance letter, it said it was released 3rd of May, but I got it today as I said at 11 in the morning. I suspected that as they release their offers in the mornings.

If you guys got anymore questions, send it through. I was surprised with Cork as I did not expect it since I heard they dont usually release offers after their first round. :happy:

Reactions: 2 users
Yup, that's been the case for a while now. Though I also read somewhere that if you hold an EU passport (Irish preferable to other EU, I assume) then you're guaranteed an internship, after CAO students have been placed. And if no spot is available, it is their responsibility to create spots for them.
Thanks for letting me know of that. In the case you remember where you read that let me know.
Does anyone know whether it is possible to get a internship in UK in the case you completed medical school in Ireland and have a EU and Canadian passports (I assume things will be different in 4 years due to Brexit)?

Thanks for letting me know of that. In the case you remember where you read that let me know.
Does anyone know whether it is possible to get a internship in UK in the case you completed medical school in Ireland and have a EU and Canadian passports (I assume things will be different in 4 years due to Brexit)?
Not sure if Canadian passports help at all but there wont be a ruling for EU passports until Brexit is finalized on getting internships in UK

If you have EU passport and Canadian passport. That still makes it easier for you as long as you apply through CAO. If you applied through Atlantic bridge, then you are below those who have applied through CAO which are guaranteed an intership in Ireland. Basically, applying through CAO with EU passport = Guaranteed Intership, other than that it will be difficult.

Curious to know if anyone’s been getting offers to the 4 year programs at UCC, anxiously checking my email this week

Curious to know if anyone’s been getting offers to the 4 year programs at UCC, anxiously checking my email this week
As far as I know, they already released those back in March. You should call AB and check if any more offers coming out.

As far as I know, they already released those back in March. You should call AB and check if any more offers coming out.
Those were first round offers, they still have second rounds to release I believe.

Reactions: 2 users
NUIG has been killing us with the wait. Robert said its mid may for their offers, and Cork gave me until May 17th. I dont know what to do :(

NUIG has been killing us with the wait. Robert said its mid may for their offers, and Cork gave me until May 17th. I dont know what to do :(
Do you prefer NUIG as opposed to UCC?

Do you prefer NUIG as opposed to UCC?
Honestly, each one has its goods and bads. I would go with NUIG because it has an early patient contact, but UCC has it I think second or third year. UCC though has an airport which makes life so much easier for me. NUIG is like a small town that you will get to know in matter of a month, but Cork is kind of a mid-big city. Accommodations are nightmare for both, and I know that NUIG has less accommodations than UCC, yet when I was looking all over UCC and its on-campus and off-campus accommodations, I legit did not find anything. My plan is to wait until May 14th, if nothing comes, Im going with Cork. If NUIG responds, im predicting a conditional offer where they offer me 6 year program instead of 5. Obviously I would go for Cork 5 year program at this point, but I wait and see :) Crossing fingers for you all. Btw, @Andrew_M08 did you apply to NUIG only?

Honestly, each one has its goods and bads. I would go with NUIG because it has an early patient contact, but UCC has it I think second or third year. UCC though has an airport which makes life so much easier for me. NUIG is like a small town that you will get to know in matter of a month, but Cork is kind of a mid-big city. Accommodations are nightmare for both, and I know that NUIG has less accommodations than UCC, yet when I was looking all over UCC and its on-campus and off-campus accommodations, I legit did not find anything. My plan is to wait until May 14th, if nothing comes, Im going with Cork. If NUIG responds, im predicting a conditional offer where they offer me 6 year program instead of 5. Obviously I would go for Cork 5 year program at this point, but I wait and see :) Crossing fingers for you all. Btw, @Andrew_M08 did you apply to NUIG only?
I think thats a good idea! I applied to NUIG, UCC, and RCSI! I am expecting a rejection from RCSI, as I never got an interview offer. Im hoping for either an NUIG or UCC acceptance, I'd be happy with either! Not sure when I'm going to hear back though

I think thats a good idea! I applied to NUIG, UCC, and RCSI! I am expecting a rejection from RCSI, as I never got an interview offer. Im hoping for either an NUIG or UCC acceptance, I'd be happy with either! Not sure when I'm going to hear back though
Did you apply 5 year, or 4 year ?

They do that? They offer you a 6 year instead of 5? Why do they do that? I’m so curious I’ve never heard of this.

My RCSI interview was a first round Robert said. So you may still be considered in the second round! I guess they’re just really late to the game since everyone’s already started their second round or will very soon.

They do that? They offer you a 6 year instead of 5? Why do they do that? I’m so curious I’ve never heard of this.
So the doctor that’s i have worked with has experience with this and he said that NUIG had done that before. I honestly expect it too. I’m not saying I received anything from NUIG, but my expectations are high regarding conditional offer. Why you ask? Well most 5 year offers from NUIG has been given to students who finished Undergrad yet did not do their MCAT. My situation is that I did not finish undergrad, and they would say giving you 6 year program offer is better.

Either way, I just spoke to Robert on the phone, and he told me some good news. Cork has clinical rotations in Canada, regardless of the clinical electives that you have to do. Which is a good thing. He also stated that NUIG offers does not look good as it’s very limited and some additional offers might go out but not very sure about my chances of getting one. He also raised my hopes and told me that UCC has blocked/reserved rooms for international students which made my day because I have been looking for one the past 4 days and everything is closed.

Basically, he just said take the offer and go!

So the doctor that’s i have worked with has experience with this and he said that NUIG had done that before. I honestly expect it too. I’m not saying I received anything from NUIG, but my expectations are high regarding conditional offer. Why you ask? Well most 5 year offers from NUIG has been given to students who finished Undergrad yet did not do their MCAT. My situation is that I did not finish undergrad, and they would say giving you 6 year program offer is better.

Either way, I just spoke to Robert on the phone, and he told me some good news. Cork has clinical rotations in Canada, regardless of the clinical electives that you have to do. Which is a good thing. He also stated that NUIG offers does not look good as it’s very limited and some additional offers might go out but not very sure about my chances of getting one. He also raised my hopes and told me that UCC has blocked/reserved rooms for international students which made my day because I have been looking for one the past 4 days and everything is closed.

Basically, he just said take the offer and go!
Is that what Robert said, that NUIG does not have many more offers coming out? Did he say anything about Cork's additional offers?

Is that what Robert said, that NUIG does not have many more offers coming out? Did he say anything about Cork's additional offers?
He wasnt very specific about that but he said that NUIG (because I am waiting for their offer) does not look good and their offers are limited. He is telling me to take UCC's offer basically. He did not mentioned anything about UCC's offers or any other offers that supposed to come out. I advise you to call and check because they sometimes they can tell you important information. Again, I believe that NUIG and Cork will still release some offers Mid-May. Crossing fingers for you all!

He wasnt very specific about that but he said that NUIG (because I am waiting for their offer) does not look good and their offers are limited. He is telling me to take UCC's offer basically. He did not mentioned anything about UCC's offers or any other offers that supposed to come out. I advise you to call and check because they sometimes they can tell you important information. Again, I believe that NUIG and Cork will still release some offers Mid-May. Crossing fingers for you all!
That's not good, my GPA was a little low so I'm not too hopeful for an NUIG acceptance. I'm really hoping I can get a Cork acceptance!

That's not good, my GPA was a little low so I'm not too hopeful for an NUIG acceptance. I'm really hoping I can get a Cork acceptance!
Whats your stats if u dont mind me asking

I hate that we all get different messages because I called yesterday and they said that NUIG is expected to send out more offers in the coming week. She didn’t at all give the impression that they were limited. Oh well, we only need one acceptance! So hopefully there’s enough for us all haha. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for TCD too!!