You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Atlantic Bridge 2020 Medicine
Started by ParasolPine
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Started an application! Graduate from U.S
Hey! I was starting to think I was alone. What schools have you applied to?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
medn209
Full Member
I applied everywhere except Bahrain, you?Hey! I was starting to think I was alone. What schools have you applied to?
I applied everywhere except Bahrain, you?
I only applied to NUIG and TCD. I applied last year and received an offer at NUIG but changed my mind last minute; yet here I am again. Have you applied to local schools too?
Hello, I'm a student at UCC doing 5 years Medicine. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask about anything, from studying to applying to the city itself (btw its gorgeous) 😉
Hey! Thanks for your help.
I think the most pertinent question would be, would you recommend the program? I’ve only read really good things about Irish medical education in general, but I think it’s best to get the opinion of someone who’s actually studying there. If you were to go back a couple of years, would you still apply to Ireland? Also, every post I come across seems very pessimistic about IMGs’ return to North America. They make it sound like no students ever make it back here; what are your views on that? I spoke to my parents the other day about it and they said “what if you go there, spend $400K and come back with a piece of paper that’s not worth anything”. That really got me thinking; what are the prospects for someone who doesn’t match back?
Anyway, I probably have another 300 questions in my repertoire but should probably stop right here.
Hello there,Hey! Thanks for your help.
I think the most pertinent question would be, would you recommend the program? I’ve only read really good things about Irish medical education in general, but I think it’s best to get the opinion of someone who’s actually studying there. If you were to go back a couple of years, would you still apply to Ireland? Also, every post I come across seems very pessimistic about IMGs’ return to North America. They make it sound like no students ever make it back here; what are your views on that? I spoke to my parents the other day about it and they said “what if you go there, spend $400K and come back with a piece of paper that’s not worth anything”. That really got me thinking; what are the prospects for someone who doesn’t match back?
Anyway, I probably have another 300 questions in my repertoire but should probably stop right here.
Remember that there are no stupid questions, only the one you didn't ask. So do not hesitate to ask because one simple question might change your mind (because there are a lot that can change your mind trust me)
First of all, Irish medical schools are fantastic because it is known for how similar the curriculum to North America. One of the students in McMaster medical school that I know says the same things we are doing, they are doing it around same time, same year. It is not complicated, and its very straight forward. I have read that you are a graduate student, so your entry to GEM (Graduate entry Medicine) can be different to my DEM (direct entry to Medicine) and the type of education given will definitely be different. I met a GEM1 and she said that the amount of information given to her is almost twice as mine (I mean its medical school, so it's kind of expected). Now if you ask do I regret coming here? Absolutely Not! beautiful country with beautiful people. I'm in Cork and its very rainy here (matter fact, its raining right now as i'm typing this haha), and its quiet (not a city person if you ask me) If I can, I would go back and apply from High school if I could to be honest rather than wasting 2 years of my life doing Undergraduate program.
Regarding the IMG thing, and going back to Canada with the degree you obtained from Ireland/anywhere else. Well first of all, every country is different and each education system in each region of this world varies from others. Ireland is not same as Bulgaria, nor Poland, nor China. However, an IMG is an IMG whether their degree was obtained from Ireland or Poland. Yet, the system does take that into consideration, and thats why Canada (I dont know about US) prefers IMGs from Australia and Ireland. Why you ask? I really do not know but I am assuming their education system is good and better comparing to other parts of the world. Am I worried about going back? YES! but I have a small plan that I am working on and thats to keep myself connected with the Physicians in Canada. This will help me get LORs and good relationship that will increase my chances of matching back. Every summer, I try to do a small research in a hospital, maybe volunteer in a clinic during Christmas holiday or even the summer too. If you didn't know, Medical schools in Canada also do not care about your grades if you got in. If you want to be matched while you are in Medical school in Canada, its not about the grades, its about relationship with doctors too. To be realistic with you, it is really competitive to match back to Canada if you are looking to specialize in something like Cardiology, Plastic surgery, General surgery, etc. Something like Internal medicine or Family medicine is very possible for IMGs. I don't know if you noticed but most Family doctors in Canada are foreign doctors. I see why your parents say that it is a risk to take if that degree you did for 4 or 5 years will not keep you alive in Canada, thats why you try to keep your options open. Irish medical schools prepare you very well for USMLE (if you're from US) but for Canadian examinations, not that much as far as I know, but that doesn't mean you won't be prepared! Also, you can always go to UK and apply for residency there!
Hope that helps!
Hello there,
Remember that there are no stupid questions, only the one you didn't ask. So do not hesitate to ask because one simple question might change your mind (because there are a lot that can change your mind trust me)
First of all, Irish medical schools are fantastic because it is known for how similar the curriculum to North America. One of the students in McMaster medical school that I know says the same things we are doing, they are doing it around same time, same year. It is not complicated, and its very straight forward. I have read that you are a graduate student, so your entry to GEM (Graduate entry Medicine) can be different to my DEM (direct entry to Medicine) and the type of education given will definitely be different. I met a GEM1 and she said that the amount of information given to her is almost twice as mine (I mean its medical school, so it's kind of expected). Now if you ask do I regret coming here? Absolutely Not! beautiful country with beautiful people. I'm in Cork and its very rainy here (matter fact, its raining right now as i'm typing this haha), and its quiet (not a city person if you ask me) If I can, I would go back and apply from High school if I could to be honest rather than wasting 2 years of my life doing Undergraduate program.
Regarding the IMG thing, and going back to Canada with the degree you obtained from Ireland/anywhere else. Well first of all, every country is different and each education system in each region of this world varies from others. Ireland is not same as Bulgaria, nor Poland, nor China. However, an IMG is an IMG whether their degree was obtained from Ireland or Poland. Yet, the system does take that into consideration, and thats why Canada (I dont know about US) prefers IMGs from Australia and Ireland. Why you ask? I really do not know but I am assuming their education system is good and better comparing to other parts of the world. Am I worried about going back? YES! but I have a small plan that I am working on and thats to keep myself connected with the Physicians in Canada. This will help me get LORs and good relationship that will increase my chances of matching back. Every summer, I try to do a small research in a hospital, maybe volunteer in a clinic during Christmas holiday or even the summer too. If you didn't know, Medical schools in Canada also do not care about your grades if you got in. If you want to be matched while you are in Medical school in Canada, its not about the grades, its about relationship with doctors too. To be realistic with you, it is really competitive to match back to Canada if you are looking to specialize in something like Cardiology, Plastic surgery, General surgery, etc. Something like Internal medicine or Family medicine is very possible for IMGs. I don't know if you noticed but most Family doctors in Canada are foreign doctors. I see why your parents say that it is a risk to take if that degree you did for 4 or 5 years will not keep you alive in Canada, thats why you try to keep your options open. Irish medical schools prepare you very well for USMLE (if you're from US) but for Canadian examinations, not that much as far as I know, but that doesn't mean you won't be prepared! Also, you can always go to UK and apply for residency there!
Hope that helps!
Hi, I'm in my second year of undergrad rn, based on students at UCC, is a 3.35GPA too low to apply?
I cant really tell you exactly about GPA but depends where you are coming from and the average of your program. In general, I suggest at least 3.5 and aboveHi, I'm in my second year of undergrad rn, based on students at UCC, is a 3.35GPA too low to apply?
Hello, I'm a student at UCC doing 5 years Medicine. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask about anything, from studying to applying to the city itself (btw its gorgeous) 😉
How was the application process for you? And how were you able to "fund" studying medicine in Ireland? Is it purely financial aid? Personal loans? Or combination of both? I heard that once accepted, you need to put in 7-10k Euro to reserve your spot? Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
The application process was good. It took me like 5 days to finish it becauseI applied very late (probably last applicant). The payment was combination of both. I took a loan from a bank and also some family support. Im pretty sure everyone had to get a loan for studying medicine outside. Also, yes you have to pay around 4k to reserve your spot.How was the application process for you? And how were you able to "fund" studying medicine in Ireland? Is it purely financial aid? Personal loans? Or combination of both? I heard that once accepted, you need to put in 7-10k Euro to reserve your spot? Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Did you have to write the HPAT or any other exam for UCC or was it only your resume, references and transcript?Hello, I'm a student at UCC doing 5 years Medicine. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask about anything, from studying to applying to the city itself (btw its gorgeous) 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So HPAT is only for people who studied in Ireland, or applied through CAO as far as I know. If you coming from North America and you applied through Atlantic Bridge, you just need your LORs, Personal statement, and transcripts.Did you have to write the HPAT or any other exam for UCC or was it only your resume, references and transcript?
medn209
Full Member
Hello, I'm a student at UCC doing 5 years Medicine. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask about anything, from studying to applying to the city itself (btw its gorgeous) 😉
Do you know what they are looking for in a personal statement? What stands out and makes a good one
Hey, so for personal statement its the most complicated part that I found. I recommend mentioning some things you did from your resume but don't be too repetitive. My personal statement and like many others was like a story, a story that shows your passion towards medicine. The most important part about it is that you dont want the admission officer to find it boring. Keep them interested into your paper because they read like 1000s of papers and they wanna find the best. So, try to make your story unique, very interesting and organized nicely (I mean by having important things in the beginning and at the end) Why? because you want to start your paper with something that will gets them more interested to read about it, and end it with a nice paragraph that reminds them that who wrote it is someone that actually want to get in. I recommend having some brain storming going on by putting some bullet points in each section and write about it.Do you know what they are looking for in a personal statement? What stands out and makes a good one
If you are stuck, do not hesitate to reach me, and I will help you out and proof-read it if you want (depending on the time of year, if no exams haha)
Goodluck!
Hello there,
Remember that there are no stupid questions, only the one you didn't ask. So do not hesitate to ask because one simple question might change your mind (because there are a lot that can change your mind trust me)
First of all, Irish medical schools are fantastic because it is known for how similar the curriculum to North America. One of the students in McMaster medical school that I know says the same things we are doing, they are doing it around same time, same year. It is not complicated, and its very straight forward. I have read that you are a graduate student, so your entry to GEM (Graduate entry Medicine) can be different to my DEM (direct entry to Medicine) and the type of education given will definitely be different. I met a GEM1 and she said that the amount of information given to her is almost twice as mine (I mean its medical school, so it's kind of expected). Now if you ask do I regret coming here? Absolutely Not! beautiful country with beautiful people. I'm in Cork and its very rainy here (matter fact, its raining right now as i'm typing this haha), and its quiet (not a city person if you ask me) If I can, I would go back and apply from High school if I could to be honest rather than wasting 2 years of my life doing Undergraduate program.
Regarding the IMG thing, and going back to Canada with the degree you obtained from Ireland/anywhere else. Well first of all, every country is different and each education system in each region of this world varies from others. Ireland is not same as Bulgaria, nor Poland, nor China. However, an IMG is an IMG whether their degree was obtained from Ireland or Poland. Yet, the system does take that into consideration, and thats why Canada (I dont know about US) prefers IMGs from Australia and Ireland. Why you ask? I really do not know but I am assuming their education system is good and better comparing to other parts of the world. Am I worried about going back? YES! but I have a small plan that I am working on and thats to keep myself connected with the Physicians in Canada. This will help me get LORs and good relationship that will increase my chances of matching back. Every summer, I try to do a small research in a hospital, maybe volunteer in a clinic during Christmas holiday or even the summer too. If you didn't know, Medical schools in Canada also do not care about your grades if you got in. If you want to be matched while you are in Medical school in Canada, its not about the grades, its about relationship with doctors too. To be realistic with you, it is really competitive to match back to Canada if you are looking to specialize in something like Cardiology, Plastic surgery, General surgery, etc. Something like Internal medicine or Family medicine is very possible for IMGs. I don't know if you noticed but most Family doctors in Canada are foreign doctors. I see why your parents say that it is a risk to take if that degree you did for 4 or 5 years will not keep you alive in Canada, thats why you try to keep your options open. Irish medical schools prepare you very well for USMLE (if you're from US) but for Canadian examinations, not that much as far as I know, but that doesn't mean you won't be prepared! Also, you can always go to UK and apply for residency there!
Hope that helps!
Hey,
Sorry for the untimely response! (Midterm season is upon us) Would you mind if we corresponded via email? I have SO many questions regarding the "coming back" process.
Thanks,
LG
Of course no worries. I will message you my emailHey,
Sorry for the untimely response! (Midterm season is upon us) Would you mind if we corresponded via email? I have SO many questions regarding the "coming back" process.
Thanks,
LG
Hi there! I just finished writing a first draft of my personal statement. I was wondering if 1) how late I was at the moment and how fast I should be hurrying this along and 2) if anyone had anytime or interest to read over my first draft? Thank you so much!
Hi there I just posted a moment ago asking the general public about reading over my personal statement If you had time I would really appreciate your thoughts.Hello, I'm a student at UCC doing 5 years Medicine. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask about anything, from studying to applying to the city itself (btw its gorgeous) 😉
Also I don't know if its worth mentioning but my background is: 3.4 sGPD from NYU in Biology and Public Health and currently 3.95 GPA for my masters program in Global Medicine. MCAT was a 505 (because of a really really low section C/P 122, B/B 130, CARS 127 and P/S 126 which Im nervous about). That plus a bunch of clinical work, volunteering, and some research experience... I don't discuss much of this in my personal statement and wonder if I should highlight more or even reconsider taking the MCAT...
Hey, so looking at your overall application. It seems solid for ireland, especially your your masters program GPA. your C/P could've been better for MCAT but its still good comparing to what average here that people got in with. If you want, you can send your personal statement as a message or share on google drive through a DM and I will be happy to look at it.Hi there I just posted a moment ago asking the general public about reading over my personal statement If you had time I would really appreciate your thoughts.
Also I don't know if its worth mentioning but my background is: 3.4 sGPD from NYU in Biology and Public Health and currently 3.95 GPA for my masters program in Global Medicine. MCAT was a 505 (because of a really really low section C/P 122, B/B 130, CARS 127 and P/S 126 which Im nervous about). That plus a bunch of clinical work, volunteering, and some research experience... I don't discuss much of this in my personal statement and wonder if I should highlight more or even reconsider taking the MCAT...
Hello, I'm a student at UCC doing 5 years Medicine. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask about anything, from studying to applying to the city itself (btw its gorgeous) 😉
Hey I am applying to the 5 year program at UCC, Are high school grades looked at or what is the purpose of the high school transcript (I am applying from uni)? If so, what would you say is the weighting of it?
Hello, so regarding the high school grades, I dont exactly know the weight of it, but the most recent grades, the most weight it will have. So if you are in university right now, assure yourself that those will be the most weight one. I think its just for comparing your grades between secondary education and post secondary education, and if there is some consistency in your work/grades. I really do not have an exact answer but as far as I know, its university that weights more.Hey I am applying to the 5 year program at UCC, Are high school grades looked at or what is the purpose of the high school transcript (I am applying from uni)? If so, what would you say is the weighting of it?
D
deleted922952
Is anyone else here a US applicant going for the 4 year GEM at RCSI? And would you be willing to share your stats?
And broad question for everyone and for the kind soul up there answering our questions: how are you formatting/do you format the CV/Resume? And what info would be best to put on there? I was working full time while finishing my classes and I mentioned part of that on my PS, but I had three jobs over the course of four years and then I have my current job. Should I mention all four jobs? Only the one I have now is relevant to my med school dreams, but the others are jobs I did while in uni and are some of my leadership experience. When I include every club I was president for and every organisation I led and put the jobs as well, the end result is about a page and a half CV with a shrunken font. Is this acceptable?
Applying to US schools has sections specific for this, but this AB process is a minimalist application (much appreciated tbh lol), so I'm not sure how much is too much. I get the sense that less is more for this application process, so I'm concerned about the size restrictions.
And broad question for everyone and for the kind soul up there answering our questions: how are you formatting/do you format the CV/Resume? And what info would be best to put on there? I was working full time while finishing my classes and I mentioned part of that on my PS, but I had three jobs over the course of four years and then I have my current job. Should I mention all four jobs? Only the one I have now is relevant to my med school dreams, but the others are jobs I did while in uni and are some of my leadership experience. When I include every club I was president for and every organisation I led and put the jobs as well, the end result is about a page and a half CV with a shrunken font. Is this acceptable?
Applying to US schools has sections specific for this, but this AB process is a minimalist application (much appreciated tbh lol), so I'm not sure how much is too much. I get the sense that less is more for this application process, so I'm concerned about the size restrictions.
D
deleted922952
How does residency placement go for US? Does anyone know of someone that did not receive placement and what was their plan afterwards?
I know of one person who went to RCSI and did not match, but that was largely because she travelled in Europe all the time and didn't focus her attentions during breaks on trying to get opportunities or exposure at the hospital she wanted to do her residency at in the US. She didn't do enough to make connections even with her decent stats. I haven't been in contact with her for a while, but as far as I remember, she returned to the US and worked as a scribe at a hospital with two different PCP and then reapplied, had stellar rec letters and got in a programme for family medicine. From stats I've seen though, I know RCSI graduates tend to end up getting matched pretty consistently
Hey! Has anyone applied? I’m a recent graduate from Canada.
I just applied to TCD and NUIG for the 5 year.
as a fellow Canadian who was accepted I was hoping you could give me some insight as to what your stats were.
Is it considered late in the process to apply?
I was told everything had to be in by Jan 1 for round 1 offers.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
medn209
Full Member
No it is not to late, might have missed first round offers, but I would get it in ASAPIs it considered late in the process to apply?
medn209
Full Member
Where can you look up the stats for each school and matching placement?I know of one person who went to RCSI and did not match, but that was largely because she travelled in Europe all the time and didn't focus her attentions during breaks on trying to get opportunities or exposure at the hospital she wanted to do her residency at in the US. She didn't do enough to make connections even with her decent stats. I haven't been in contact with her for a while, but as far as I remember, she returned to the US and worked as a scribe at a hospital with two different PCP and then reapplied, had stellar rec letters and got in a programme for family medicine. From stats I've seen though, I know RCSI graduates tend to end up getting matched pretty consistently
I just applied to TCD and NUIG for the 5 year.
as a fellow Canadian who was accepted I was hoping you could give me some insight as to what your stats were.
Hey, I applied with a 3.86 GPA. I haven't taken the MCAT. What about you?
Are all round 1 offers in January, even for schools that don’t interview? Not sure if this was previous answered
Based on what I've read in other posts/forums, each school differs BUT it seems that most schools start sending out offers by end of February to mid-March. Offers can be sent out as late as August! On an unrelated note, do you mind sharing your stats?
I've just joined this forum - I've applied via AB to the Direct-entry Med programs (5 & 6 yr): UCD, UCC, NUIG and RCSI. I'm heading into 2nd semester of 2nd year at university in Ontario. Grade 12 GPA was 4.0, and 1st year Health Sciences at university I landed on the Dean's Honor List (GPA 3.7). I'm awaiting my 1st semester final grades. I didn't write the MCAT but did the SATs in Buffalo this past August. Did ok....far from stellar.
I've read through much of the 2019 forum and saw that students starting hearing @ January 15th for interview invites. Sorry I don't remember which schools invited....but could be a good referral/guideline for this year's invites?
Thanks for all the info everyone is posting and good luck to all!
I've read through much of the 2019 forum and saw that students starting hearing @ January 15th for interview invites. Sorry I don't remember which schools invited....but could be a good referral/guideline for this year's invites?
Thanks for all the info everyone is posting and good luck to all!
I've just joined this forum - I've applied via AB to the Direct-entry Med programs (5 & 6 yr): UCD, UCC, NUIG and RCSI. I'm heading into 2nd semester of 2nd year at university in Ontario. Grade 12 GPA was 4.0, and 1st year Health Sciences at university I landed on the Dean's Honor List (GPA 3.7). I'm awaiting my 1st semester final grades. I didn't write the MCAT but did the SATs in Buffalo this past August. Did ok....far from stellar.
I've read through much of the 2019 forum and saw that students starting hearing @ January 15th for interview invites. Sorry I don't remember which schools invited....but could be a good referral/guideline for this year's invites?
Thanks for all the info everyone is posting and good luck to all!
Good luck to you too; you seem to have a stellar record!
Sitting at a 3.84 gpa heading into my last year. I’m a non traditional applicant, 11 years serving I’m the emergency services. Fingers crossed!Hey, I applied with a 3.86 GPA. I haven't taken the MCAT. What about you?
Are all round 1 offers in January, even for schools that don’t interview? Not sure if this was previous answered
No , you may receive a letter inviting you for interview . But offers do not come through until early March.Are all round 1 offers in January, even for schools that don’t interview? Not sure if this was previous answered
UCD interviewed thro skype last year in January, offers were released early March ( 1st round)
RCSI interviewEd in New York , Toronto and the west coast March 2019 , offers were released in March, ( 1st round)
NUIG do not interview, offers released early April , late March.
XAhmid
New Member
I am a Grade 12 Student in a Canadian High School and have just recently applied to the 2020 Atlantic Bridge Medicine 6 year program
My average is 92.3% for 6 courses, does anyone know which courses they pick? if you have two maths which one do they use for example?
What was your average, courses and how long did it take for you to get an interview and acceptance
My average is 92.3% for 6 courses, does anyone know which courses they pick? if you have two maths which one do they use for example?
What was your average, courses and how long did it take for you to get an interview and acceptance
XAhmid
New Member
Same Zortax! What was your average? Mine is currently with 6 courses 92.3%Hello everyone, just joined, I was wondering what is everyone's current average applying to the 6-year program, really nervous that my grade 12 average isn't competitive enough. Thanks in advance
Amateurastronaut
Full Member
Out of curiosity, has anyone received an interview from RCSI? Applying for the 5 year program.
I am a junior in my undergraduate studies (US) with a major in biology. My stats are cGPA: 4.00, sGPA: 4.00, and have not taken the MCAT. I have 4 years of military experience.
I am a junior in my undergraduate studies (US) with a major in biology. My stats are cGPA: 4.00, sGPA: 4.00, and have not taken the MCAT. I have 4 years of military experience.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've just sent my payment in for my application in for the 4-year programs at cork, limerick, RCSI, and Dublin!
cGPA : 3.39
sGPA : 3.52
MCAT: 505
Published on one research paper as a research assistant, and have shadowing hours
do you think this is enough to get in? or should I take another semester to boost my cGPA to a 3.45
cGPA : 3.39
sGPA : 3.52
MCAT: 505
Published on one research paper as a research assistant, and have shadowing hours
do you think this is enough to get in? or should I take another semester to boost my cGPA to a 3.45
YES
Could someone briefly explain what cGPA and sGPA mean? Sorry, but in Ontario universities we normally use % and less frequently letter grades.
Thanks
cGPA is a cumulative GPA of all your weighted grades on like a 4.0 scale, and sGPA is just your science GPA- so just science courses. Some med schools look at these both
Amateurastronaut
Full Member
In the United States it is common practice for graduate school applications to break a GPA down into three categories; cumulative GPA (cGPA), non-science GPA, and science GPA (sGPA). A student's sGPA is calculated by averaging all grades taken in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Other sciences, such as social sciences, psychology, and so forth, are not taken into account when calculating a sGPA. In essence, the GPAs are categorized to better demonstrate a prospective student's academic strengths and weaknesses.Could someone briefly explain what cGPA and sGPA mean? Sorry, but in Ontario universities we normally use % and less frequently letter grades.
Thanks
I hope this helps.
Last edited: