Atlantic Bridge 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aprit1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I know it is a little early to start a thread, but I am trying to get a general gist of what type of high school applicants are accepted to the Atlantic Bridge Program as I know it has become fairly competitive.

It would be awesome if everyone could briefly post their stats.

I’m in Grade 11; an Ontario high school student; IB program. (HL Chem+Bio+Lit, SL Math+Geo, Ab. Spanish)

Current stats: 93.5ish% for top 6 as 92ish% overall. My science marks are a little flat, but they will be boosted by the Grade 12 first term report card.

ECs: Cadets (FSgt, 2IC for Percussion & Drumline Choreographer), SDG Youth Ambassador for UNAC, Freelance Illustrator for non-profits expanding education options in Africa, 200+ hours of volunteer experience, 2 papers under review for publication, MCAT Club president, debate club judge, HOSA member, and a few other minor extracurricular activities

For anyone already in the program, I would really appreciate feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,
Currently finishing up my 4th year at Trinity. They no longer accept highschool applicants in the republic of Ireland (Cork and Dublin), though I think they do in Belfast. Belfast however is not an accredited program, and you would therefore have to figure out the equivalency exams/ programs you would have to take to come back to Canada. I am not versed in this process but I think there are exams and a 2 year equivalency course that you have to take ( I could be really wrong on this).

Hi there,
Currently finishing up my 4th year at Trinity. They no longer accept highschool applicants in the republic of Ireland (Cork and Dublin), though I think they do in Belfast. Belfast however is not an accredited program, and you would therefore have to figure out the equivalency exams/ programs you would have to take to come back to Canada. I am not versed in this process but I think there are exams and a 2 year equivalency course that you have to take ( I could be really wrong on this).

Hi! Thank you for sharing your experience. I am planning on applying through the Atlantic Bridge Program and their admissions officer has said that high school students are still being accepted. Is it perhaps that Trinity is not accepting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thank you for sharing your experience. I am planning on applying through the Atlantic Bridge Program and their admissions officer has said that high school students are still being accepted. Is it perhaps that Trinity is not accepting?
I have heard of some HS acceptances in the north of Ireland (Belfast). Though I haven't heard of any HS students in the republic (trinity and cork), its possible they still accept applications. Best of luck!

Hi guys! I'm thinking of applying to UCC, UCD, NUIG, and RCSI. I wanted to get some insight into my stats if you think I'd actually make it cause I'm honestly really nervous.

I'm a non-trad student but I graduated with advanced placement and honors at my high school in 2016 with a GPA of 3.54 (I think that's unweighted?). I took a gap of a few years since then but I did 200 hours of volunteering in a hospital, 100 hours in a VA hospital, some shadowing at a pediatric clinic, and I will be shadowing at a primary/urgent care soon. I've also done 200+ hrs of community service, I was trained for a summer in a research lab, and I will be doing neuroscience research at a neuroscience institute this upcoming summer. I took a couple of classes of psych, developmental psych in university but that's about it.

What do you think my chances are?? And do you think I would be counted for the 5 yr program since I already had to take AP courses in sciences during high school?

(Edited to add some more info!)
Hey everyone,
Just completed my portions of the application, just waiting on LOR and transcripts to be sent. Non-trad 24 year old American applicant with Irish permanent residency status applying to the 5 and 6 year programs.
a few stats:
-3.49 cGPA (I had to transfer to a uni in my hometown from my first uni because of illness (illness made my grades drop), after recovery I decided to be premed and cGPA at my current school is 3.79 so I hope they look at that instead...)
-1000 hours CE as medical scribe
-1000 hours as a scheduler in a medical office
-100 hours volunteer experience in a geriatric Memory Care Unit
-Non medical volunteer experience
-Non-medical work experience
-Certified citizen responder in basic life support/wilderness first aid

My goal if accepted is to move to Ireland permanently (I get citizenship after living there for 5 years with permanent residency status) and practice there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! I'm thinking of applying to UCC, UCD, NUIG, and RCSI. I wanted to get some insight into my stats if you think I'd actually make it cause I'm honestly really nervous.

I'm a non-trad student but I graduated with advanced placement and honors at my high school in 2016 with a GPA of 3.54 (I think that's unweighted?). I took a gap of a few years since then but I did 200 hours of volunteering in a hospital, 100 hours in a VA hospital, some shadowing at a pediatric clinic, and I will be shadowing at a primary/urgent care soon. I've also done 200+ hrs of community service, I was trained for a summer in a research lab, and I will be doing neuroscience research at a neuroscience institute this upcoming summer. I took a couple of classes of psych, developmental psych in university but that's about it.

What do you think my chances are?? And do you think I would be counted for the 5 yr program since I already had to take AP courses in sciences during high school?

Definitely will be considered for the 5 year course depending on AP grades and if you have completed 1-2 years of undergrad.

Definitely will be considered for the 5 year course depending on AP grades and if you have completed 1-2 years of undergrad.
I thought one needed Ochem in order to apply for the 5 year programs?

(Edited to add some more info!)
Hey everyone,
Just completed my portions of the application, just waiting on LOR and transcripts to be sent. Non-trad 24 year old American applicant with Irish permanent residency status applying to the 5 and 6 year programs.
a few stats:
-3.49 cGPA (I had to transfer to a uni in my hometown from my first uni because of illness (illness made my grades drop), after recovery I decided to be premed and cGPA at my current school is 3.79 so I hope they look at that instead...)
-1000 hours CE as medical scribe
-1000 hours as a scheduler in a medical office
-100 hours volunteer experience in a geriatric Memory Care Unit
-Non medical volunteer experience
-Non-medical work experience
-Certified citizen responder in basic life support/wilderness first aid

My goal if accepted is to move to Ireland permanently (I get citizenship after living there for 5 years with permanent residency status) and practice there!

First of all, props to you for considering to apply! Will you be graduating this year? If so, you could probably be considered for the 4 year programs too right? I think with the amount of experience you have, you have a good chance for sure. Good luck! :)

First of all, props to you for considering to apply! Will you be graduating this year? If so, you could probably be considered for the 4 year programs too right? I think with the amount of experience you have, you have a good chance for sure. Good luck! :)
I am not close to graduating! My school has crazy requirements so if I were pursuing a degree it would take me at least 2 more years (I’ve changed my major twice, aha!). Right now I’m taking science classes to get my GPA up and be more prepared (A+P, Nutrition, Human Development, Ochem next term, etc). If I don’t get in I’ll pursue a degree and apply again to 4 year programs.
and I certainly hope so!!! I’ve heard that Irish med schools consider applicants more holistically than America/Canada.

I am not close to graduating! My school has crazy requirements so if I were pursuing a degree it would take me at least 2 more years (I’ve changed my major twice, aha!). Right now I’m taking science classes to get my GPA up and be more prepared (A+P, Nutrition, Human Development, Ochem next term, etc). If I don’t get in I’ll pursue a degree and apply again to 4 year programs.
and I certainly hope so!!! I’ve heard that Irish med schools consider applicants more holistically than America/Canada.

Oh gotcha! I also would have another 2 years to graduate so I understand! I'm taking some of my science classes now hoping that they'll consider me too.

Oh gotcha! I also would have another 2 years to graduate so I understand! I'm taking some of my science classes now hoping that they'll consider me too.
Going off of your experience and high school transcript I think you have a really strong application! I recommend taking at least a term of Ochem at some point, I heard somewhere that Ochem is recommended or maybe even required?? for the 5 year programs, don’t quote me on that though. Just good to cover all the bases!

Going off of your experience and high school transcript I think you have a really strong application! I recommend taking at least a term of Ochem at some point, I heard somewhere that Ochem is recommended or maybe even required?? for the 5 year programs, don’t quote me on that though. Just good to cover all the bases!

Thanks for the advice! You might be right about that; I was thinking of taking OChem next semester after I finish Chem now. I'm not sure what the requirements are in terms of AP scores but I only got a 3 in Bio so I started taking another Bio course now

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! You might be right about that; I was thinking of taking OChem next semester after I finish Chem now. I'm not sure what the requirements are in terms of AP scores but I only got a 3 in Bio so I started taking another Bio course now
I’m not sure about AP either, I took my bio and genchem classes in college (took standard bio chem and physics in high school, not AP). I’d check with Atlantic Bridge about that. What bio are you taking now?

I’m not sure about AP either, I took my bio and genchem classes in college (took standard bio chem and physics in high school, not AP). I’d check with Atlantic Bridge about that. What bio are you taking now?

I'm taking Microbiology now since I've already taken Gen Bio

Hello all,
Just thought I would also state I am applying to ABP as well. I'm 21 (US applicant), studied Neuroscience for 3 years at University. Just finished studying nursing. I have, and still am volunteering in a clinic studying Post-Intensive Care Syndrome (600+ hours). I've also worked as a Behavioral Health Associate for 2 years and a Patient Care Tech on a Spinal-Cord Rehabilitation unit for the last year. Just recently presented a grand rounds presentation about collaborative care interventions for preventing delirium in ICU's (Evidence Based Practice).
I've taken chem (1&2), bio (1), A&P (1&2), and Microbiology. Science GPA (3.4), Cumulative (3.3) Cumulative Undergrad is lower due to the complexity and fast-paced nature of my Nursing course-work (accelerated program). However, Nursing honors gpa is 3.2 in my program so hopefully ABP is conscious of that.
I have applied to UCD, RCSI, and UCC. Honestly not hoping for much, but it's always been a dream... so thought I should try.

Hello all,
Just thought I would also state I am applying to ABP as well. I'm 21 (US applicant), studied Neuroscience for 3 years at University. Just finished studying nursing. I have, and still am volunteering in a clinic studying Post-Intensive Care Syndrome (600+ hours). I've also worked as a Behavioral Health Associate for 2 years and a Patient Care Tech on a Spinal-Cord Rehabilitation unit for the last year. Just recently presented a grand rounds presentation about collaborative care interventions for preventing delirium in ICU's (Evidence Based Practice).
I've taken chem (1&2), bio (1), A&P (1&2), and Microbiology. Science GPA (3.4), Cumulative (3.3) Cumulative Undergrad is lower due to the complexity and fast-paced nature of my Nursing course-work (accelerated program). However, Nursing honors gpa is 3.2 in my program so hopefully ABP is conscious of that.
I have applied to UCD, RCSI, and UCC. Honestly not hoping for much, but it's always been a dream... so thought I should try.
Hi!! Your experience is amazing and I’m sure would be an asset to Irish med schools. Are you applying to 4 year programs?

"Hi!! Your experience is amazing and I’m sure would be an asset to Irish med schools. Are you applying to 4 year programs?"
Hey!
I am applying to all 5-year programs! Luckily have a LOR from an RCSI grad as well (RSCI is my number 1). Very excited about the whole journey!

"Hi!! Your experience is amazing and I’m sure would be an asset to Irish med schools. Are you applying to 4 year programs?"
Hey!
I am applying to all 5-year programs! Luckily have a LOR from an RCSI grad as well (RSCI is my number 1). Very excited about the whole journey!
Oh okay, so you don’t have a Bachelors in Nursing yet? I assumed from your post that you’d gotten a BN.
In any case, that is great! Very cool to have an LOR from a grad!! That is definitely unique and I’m sure will increase your chances at RCSI.

Oh okay, so you don’t have a Bachelors in Nursing yet? I assumed from your post that you’d gotten a BN.
In any case, that is great! Very cool to have an LOR from a grad!! That is definitely unique and I’m sure will increase your chances at RCSI.
I do not have a degree from my nursing program, nor do I have a degree from my Neuroscience program. That is why I am applying to the 5 year track.
What school's did you apply to through ABP?

I do not have a degree from my nursing program, nor do I have a degree from my Neuroscience program. That is why I am applying to the 5 year track.
What school's did you apply to through ABP?
Ah okay! Sounds like 5 year programs are a good fit for you, then!
I applied to all 5 and 6 year programs. So RCSI, Cork, Galway, UCD.

Ah okay! Sounds like 5 year programs are a good fit for you, then!
I applied to all 5 and 6 year programs. So RCSI, Cork, Galway, UCD.
I was rereading your profile and you seem like a great applicant! Even more so that you'd like to stay in Ireland (such an amazing country)! I hope all the best with your process!!

I was rereading your profile and you seem like a great applicant! Even more so that you'd like to stay in Ireland (such an amazing country)! I hope all the best with your process!!
It would be so cool to be classmates!! (RCSI is my top choice as well). Best of luck to you, I really hope you get in! I think you have a very strong background in unique areas, and your passion will def shine through on your apps.
And yeah, my permanent residency status is such that if I get into a 5-6 year program, I’ll be a citizen by the time I start applying to internship/residency programs! My partner is also from the U.K. and plans to move to Ireland if I get in, so we will both live there permanently. :)

Hello everyone!
Just curious if you guys know if there is an early decision cycle or not? I have been doing past readings on SDN and cannot determine if there is an early submission date.
Just finishing sending my transcripts (piece of my application), and was wondering if anyone else had already submitted?

Hello everyone!
Just curious if you guys know if there is an early decision cycle or not? I have been doing past readings on SDN and cannot determine if there is an early submission date.
Just finishing sending my transcripts (piece of my application), and was wondering if anyone else had already submitted?
I couldn’t find anything on that D: I was really hoping there was one!

Hello Everyone,

I am applying to the five year programs; TCD, NUI-Galway and RCSI-Bahrain and just finished my undergraduate degree in Applied Human Nutrition. My gpa for the four years was a 3.54 on a 4.0 scale and I have multiple volunteer and work experience. I have shadowed a dentist for 400+ hour, paediatrics physician (200 hours), nutrition related volunteering (300 hr), was a don/RA at university for three years, and I have research experience. I also have good references from the dentist and supervisor I worked with. Do the five year programs give preference to university graduates or do they look at all applications the same?

Good luck everyone applying this cycle and I hope we all get into the schools we desire :)

Hello Everyone,

I am applying to the five year programs; TCD, NUI-Galway and RCSI-Bahrain and just finished my undergraduate degree in Applied Human Nutrition. My gpa for the four years was a 3.54 on a 4.0 scale and I have multiple volunteer and work experience. I have shadowed a dentist for 400+ hour, paediatrics physician (200 hours), nutrition related volunteering (300 hr), was a don/RA at university for three years, and I have research experience. I also have good references from the dentist and supervisor I worked with. Do the five year programs give preference to university graduates or do they look at all applications the same?

Good luck everyone applying this cycle and I hope we all get into the schools we desire :)
Hello!! Your experience is super strong and I think you’d be a great candidate!
I would double check with AB on this as I am not 100% positive— but when I visited RCSI, I remember being told that those with bachelors degrees are not eligible for 5 and 6 year programs. So to answer your question, a uni grad would be applying to 4 year programs only. I would imagine 6 year programs are designed more for high school graduates with AP credits, and the 5 year are for older non trad uni students who haven’t graduated yet. Again, I am not totally sure about those details, I’d bring any questions to AB. I hope this helps and best of luck to you!!

@izzey Hello, thanks for your response. For the three schools I applied to they do accept applicants with bachelor degrees and they do not require the MCAT, the other 5 year programs don't!! I asked AB before I applied and have already submitted my application. Also, I am from Canada and a lot of places here do not offer AP examinations that's why I waited until I graduated to apply to the five year programs. Also I saw that you posted about being a permanent resident in Ireland!! Why didn't you apply through CAO, I heard if you do that you are pretty much given a internship in Ireland when you're done (or at least have a better chance of one).

@izzey Hello, thanks for your response. For the three schools I applied to they do accept applicants with bachelor degrees and they do not require the MCAT, the other 5 year programs don't!! I asked AB before I applied and have already submitted my application. Also, I am from Canada and a lot of places here do not offer AP examinations that's why I waited until I graduated to apply to the five year programs. Also I saw that you posted about being a permanent resident in Ireland!! Why didn't you apply through CAO, I heard if you do that you are pretty much given a internship in Ireland when you're done (or at least have a better chance of one).
Ahh, I see! That is awesome!! In that case, I don’t know if people with degrees are given priority.
And I am unable to apply through CAO, I’m not an EU citizen nor do I currently live in Ireland. I am hoping that getting internship in Ireland will be easier once I become a citizen in 5 years!

For the November 15th deadline, what exactly is due? Is it just the application that we had to fill out initially with AB and the applications fees? Do we need to submit transcripts and everything by then?

Just wanted to update and say I received an email from ABP that my application was officially complete. They said I may need to submit further documents (final transcripts), but it is marked as "Completed". Hope you all are doing well with your application process.

Hello All,

I had applied through Atlantic bridge in the previous cycle (for 2020 entry) and I got accepted at TCD. However, I had to defer my place due to COVID-19, so I'll be going there in September 2021. If anyone gets accepted to TCD, I would love to connect with you all.
And Good luck to all who are in the application process!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello All,

I had applied through Atlantic bridge in the previous cycle (for 2020 entry) and I got accepted at TCD. However, I had to defer my place due to COVID-19, so I'll be going there in September 2021. If anyone gets accepted to TCD, I would love to connect with you all.
Congrats!!! What were your stats like? Too bad you couldn’t go this year!!! Hoping to get accepted there for the 2021 entry :) I have heard great things about Trinity.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Congrats on going for 2021!!! That's so awesome! I was wondering if you could share what the timeline was like for when we might start hearing back after our applications are "complete"?

Congrats on going for 2021!!! That's so awesome! I was wondering if you could share what the timeline was like for when we might start hearing back after our applications are "complete"?
Thank you! So, I had submitted my application on 15th November 2019 and heard back in the first week of April. Others who had applied with me started to hear back around end of February from RCSI, UCD, UCC and Limerick for their first round of interviews. NUIG and TCD dont have any interviews so I guess that's why they take more time for their decisions.

Congrats!!! What were your stats like? Too bad you couldn’t go this year!!! Hoping to get accepted there for the 2021 entry :) I have heard great things about Trinity.
Thanks! Yes, TCD is great. It has amazing residency match rates as well.

Anyone know if Atlantic Bridge accepts updates?
They say they do. I would make sure though if you want to be evaluated for first round acceptances you would have to make any updates before the deadline which is around the beginning of January.

Last edited:
Hey guys! A non trad from Vancouver Canada applying! Anyone else here Canadian? How’s everyone feeling?!

Hello All,

Funny enough im in the same boat but was accepted and deferred my application to RCSI. I would love to get in contact with incoming RCSI students once they start hearing back.

Funny enough im in the same boat but was accepted and deferred my application to RCSI. I would love to get in contact with incoming RCSI students once they start hearing back.
MonkeyMeat48,
RCSI is my number 1 currently, would I be able to PM you about your admission's, and interview process possibly?

Hello All,

Did you have the option to take your classes remotely? Also, would you be free for 15 minute conversation to answer some questions I have about the process? I am applying after a 5 year break [I worked in behavioral health consulting. I also got my Masters in Public Health, however I didn't do well in my Masters program] after college. Unlike American schools, do Irish schools require that you report all the classes you've taken...they only require your college degree is that right? How has Covid affected Irish Medicals Schools -- are they offering remote classes for 2021-2022?

Did you have the option to take your classes remotely? Also, would you be free for 15 minute conversation to answer some questions I have about the process? I am applying after a 5 year break [I worked in behavioral health consulting. I also got my Masters in Public Health, however I didn't do well in my Masters program] after college. Unlike American schools, do Irish schools require that you report all the classes you've taken...they only require your college degree is that right? How has Covid affected Irish Medicals Schools -- are they offering remote classes for 2021-2022?
As far as I know, Irish medical schools do not offer remote classes.
And whether they only require your college degree, Atlantic Bridge will be the best people to ask that question as I applied right after my undergrad, so I dont know whether they want all your transcripts.
Feel free to send me a personal message on SDN with all your questions. I'll try my best to answer them :)

Hey Everyone do you know when they will start sending out interview invites for RCSI? Also, does anyone know when acceptances are sent out for other irish medical schools? Thanks for your help friends!

Hi, my number one choice right now is RCSI I was wondering if I could PM you and ask a couple of questions regarding the interview process.

RCSI is having a webinar today. Anyone have more information on this? Has anyone attended one in the past? Is it worth the time?

Hi there,
To be accepted from high school, you need to attend a school that offers a 6 year undergraduate medicine program. Trinity and cork do not offer 6 year programs. RCSI and UCD do. You are eligible for a 5 year program at Trinity if you have one year of undergraduate education. You can enter the graduate medicine 4 year programs if you have completed your bachelor's degree.

Hi there,
Hello! I know it is a little early to start a thread, but I am trying to get a general gist of what type of high school applicants are accepted to the Atlantic Bridge Program as I know it has become fairly competitive.

It would be awesome if everyone could briefly post their stats.

I’m in Grade 11; an Ontario high school student; IB program. (HL Chem+Bio+Lit, SL Math+Geo, Ab. Spanish)

Current stats: 93.5ish% for top 6 as 92ish% overall. My science marks are a little flat, but they will be boosted by the Grade 12 first term report card.

ECs: Cadets (FSgt, 2IC for Percussion & Drumline Choreographer), SDG Youth Ambassador for UNAC, Freelance Illustrator for non-profits expanding education options in Africa, 200+ hours of volunteer experience, 2 papers under review for publication, MCAT Club president, debate club judge, HOSA member, and a few other minor extracurricular activities

For anyone already in the program, I would really appreciate feedback!
My 2 cents: if you aren't yet familiar with the process of coming back to Canada/USA after medical school in Ireland, then do that before considering going. Getting a residency in North America is in no way guaranteed and involves an incredible amount of hard work with several big board exams, overseas electives, applying to hundreds of programs, flying back and forth for interviews, all with no guarantee of acceptance. You may be saddled with your debt and left unable to work with medicine in North America. Do your research about USMLE, MCC, CARMS, ERAS and the match before proceeding. I am not saying don't go; I went to and Irish school myself, however I did see that many of my colleagues in the 6 year programs struggled to get home because they went in having never written the MCAT, never gone through application cycles to medical school, limited resumes and a poor understanding of what was next after the 6 years. You won't lose anything by doing your bachelor's degree in Canada first and trying to get into Canadian medical school first.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to go over my PS? Also, do you guys think I am pretty late in the cycle? Please let me know if someone can go over my PS, drop your email. I have to get this done before Jan1.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to go over my PS? Also, do you guys think I am pretty late in the cycle? Please let me know if someone can go over my PS, drop your email. I have to get this done before Jan1.
I think you should apply! You honestly never know what can happen. I saw on last years thread people applied late and still got in. So it’s worth a shot!