Atlantic Bridge Essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragonzich

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a High School student in the United States wishing to apply for medical school in Ireland through Atlantic Bridge. As I was looking around at the requirements to apply, I noticed something called a "Personal Statement" which you needed to send in with your application and letters of recommendation. I was wondering what exactly a "personal statement" entails and what is looked for in one. Also, when applying to an Irish medical school, would I need to write an essay of any sorts? If so, generally what do they look for in the essay and does anybody have any tips? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi dragonzich,

So your personal statement is an essay of sorts. What I would recommend is doing a simple google search "personal statements for medical school." This should produce many opinions, advice, examples etc... that can get you started. Here's an example of one resource I found: Before You Write Your Personal Statement, Read This - Student Doctor Network
Also when writing your personal statement remember your audience! This statement could potentially be assessed by multiple schools (depending on how many you apply to) so make sure it's not specific to one school in particular. You want something that is generalizable to your larger audience.
Good luck!

Hi dragonzich,

So your personal statement is an essay of sorts. What I would recommend is doing a simple google search "personal statements for medical school." This should produce many opinions, advice, examples etc... that can get you started. Here's an example of one resource I found: Before You Write Your Personal Statement, Read This - Student Doctor Network
Also when writing your personal statement remember your audience! This statement could potentially be assessed by multiple schools (depending on how many you apply to) so make sure it's not specific to one school in particular. You want something that is generalizable to your larger audience.
Good luck!

Thank you!
One other related question: Other than the personal statement, will schools ask for a separate essay with a more specific prompt? In america most colleges and universities will ask for you to write an essay on a given prompt. Is this the same case for Irish schools?

Thank you!
One other related question: Other than the personal statement, will schools ask for a separate essay with a more specific prompt? In america most colleges and universities will ask for you to write an essay on a given prompt. Is this the same case for Irish schools?
No just the personal essay