Atlantic Bridge Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mergan

Newb
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure if I am being a total noob, I read most of the threads and I searched the Atlantic Bridge Program website. I'm wondering what specific prereq courses are needed to apply to the schools through Atlantic Bridge. Does each individual school have different prereqs, and if so where on their websites can I find those listed. I thought the AB Program might list that somewhere, maybe I just can't find it

I'm entering my fourth year and I want to have all the courses I need to apply to AB, I am taking a full year of physics because some Canadian schools require it, but I'm not sure if I need a full year w/ lab. Or what about Orgo w/ a lab. I'm trying to get this all done before the add/drop date.

Any help, or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

- Meghan :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. When I applied there were no pre-reqs, you just had to have a degree. Mine was in medieval studies, no sciences at all, although I was also working on a BSc when I applied. The Irish students have to have chemistry to apply to medicine, no bio, no physics. That would be why there are no pre-reqs listed. Good luck,
M

Well I'm not sure, but I would think that if you have had no science then you would need to apply to the 6 yr. program. I"m not sure which program the last poster went in. If you have had science in university that would be your biology, physics, chemistry (I dont know about math), and if you haven't graduated yet, then you could get exempt from the first year of the 6 yr program. If you have graduated from university and have the required sciences, you would have to apply to the GEP (graduate entry program) why don't you write to AB and ask them? They are usually very good at answering questions. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm not sure, but I would think that if you have had no science then you would need to apply to the 6 yr. program. I"m not sure which program the last poster went in. If you have had science in university that would be your biology, physics, chemistry (I dont know about math), and if you haven't graduated yet, then you could get exempt from the first year of the 6 yr program. If you have graduated from university and have the required sciences, you would have to apply to the GEP (graduate entry program) why don't you write to AB and ask them? They are usually very good at answering questions. Good luck

Actually, I did a 5 year program at UCC. The graduate entry programs were not up and running yet. I also sat on a committee that set curriculum for the 4 year program and at UCC they were accepting anyone with a degree, with no requirements to do science courses. They were of the opinion, as are many Canadian schools, that doing a degree prepares you for medical school, not studying science specifically. By all means write to AB though; I found them very helpful both during the admissions process and during school on other matters. Cheers,
M

Actually, I did a 5 year program at UCC. The graduate entry programs were not up and running yet. I also sat on a committee that set curriculum for the 4 year program and at UCC they were accepting anyone with a degree, with no requirements to do science courses. They were of the opinion, as are many Canadian schools, that doing a degree prepares you for medical school, not studying science specifically. By all means write to AB though; I found them very helpful both during the admissions process and during school on other matters. Cheers,
M

+1 to the above info:

You definitely do NOT need a scientifically / medically-orientated primary degree (or science cores therein) to gain admission to the Graduate Entry Program at UCC (or elsewhere in Ireland). Nor do you need prerequisites.

That said, it should be said that the vast majority of candidates from North America (Canada and USA) have primary degrees in the sciences. The selection of 'Non-EU' candidates by UCC (and other Irish GEPs) to enter their program is quite different than the criteria used to select Irish / EU students:

The Irish candidates take the GAMSAT entry exam (the same idea as the MCAT but quite different). Due to the content and structure of the GAMSAT, obtaining a decent overall score in the GAMSAT is not inconceivable to those who haven't studied science in their primary degree.
The Irish candidates then apply through an agency (CAO) and offers are made upon attaining an adequate GAMSAT score in the GAMSAT and a 2.1 degree (minimum) in their primary degree. Of course, the GAMSAT score required for admission is somewhat dependent on the number of places available in the GEP. That minimum score has increased over the past number of years for most GEPs due to the level of demand.

In stark contrast, for North Americans and non-EU citizens / residents, the Atlantic Bridge Program (ABP) is entrusted (and paid!) with providing a 'qualified pool of applicants' to the selection committee at UCC medical school (or other Irish GEPs).
Obviously your MCAT score is going to be important. In my opinion, the MCAT is more difficult to score well in if you don't have a science-related background. I may be a little off-base for stating that, but it's my opinion.
As a result, the vast majority of people applying through ABP will tend to have science backgrounds.

Therefore, an applicant's 'suitability' is assessed by ABP and to a certain degree, ABP determines who those candidates are. UCC then gives the 'yea or nay'.
Your ABP application package is heavily dependent on the grades obtained in your primary degree, any relevant work experience in perhaps the medical field (or public health, etc.) and your personal statement :)Why you would be an asset to medical school in Ireland") is critical.

That said, feel free to e-mail ABP. They are very helpful (for obvious reasons) and very down-to-earth.

It's awesome that you bumped this thread.
That's the only time I have ever posted on the board, and now I find myself checking it religiously in anticipation of acceptance/rejection info.

What a difference a year and a half makes!
-Meghan