Atlantic Bridge Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gte770m

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how competitive entrance to Irish schools are. I've applied to UCC and UCD 4-year program in addition to American schools and Duke-NUS in Singapore. I've been reading here and on other sites that entry to Irish schools are getting more competitive with each cycle. I have 3.5 udergrad GPA, 3.6 grad GPA and 36Q (2005) and 34R (2008) on my MCATs. My ECs are ok, I think.

Also, how is the quality of education in Irish schools? Not knowing much at this point, Irish schools are my last choice, but if these schools offer great education I would love to live in Ireland and go to school there. I don't really care where I live after medical school, so quality of education is what really matters.

Lastly, I'm a Korean citizen, so I would like to know how hard it is to settle down in Ireland and become a permanent resident/citizen there. I already interviewed at Duke-NUS and couple interviews at US schools are coming up, and becoming PR in Singapore is super easy, US not too difficult if you went to US medical school. Is Ireland pretty open to immigrants?

Members don't see this ad.

As you look for advice on these forums, pay attention to the level of training the poster has. Other pre-meds and applicants have no idea what they are talking about. Current students know about the application and know something about the training, but know little about jobs, effectiveness of the training, or match results. Residents and attendings know what they are talking about. My point is, take advice with a grain of salt depending on who it comes from.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you look for advice on these forums, pay attention to the level of training the poster has. Other pre-meds and applicants have no idea what they are talking about. Current students know about the application and know something about the training, but know little about jobs, effectiveness of the training, or match results. Residents and attendings know what they are talking about. My point is, take advice with a grain of salt depending on who it comes from.

Thanks for that. You make a good point. I just didn't want to ask ABP since they probably just want to promote the program, and I don't know anyone in the program... At any rate, are you in Ireland? Do you have any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

On stats alone you have a good shot. The competitiveness is going to die down due to the price tag attached to the degree and the stricter loaning policies by the banks. I know many people who are applying/have applied and this seems to be trend.

When you are reading this forum, bear in mind that you will likely have different experiences than even people 1-2 years ahead of you. Those who have graduated have no clue what it's like now in an Irish school. People like to proclaim how things never change but frankly, things change too much and too quickly!