Attending CCOM = Better chances of Chicago Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmakhija

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am debating which school I should attend and Midwestern - Downers Grove (CCOM) is one of my top choices. I just had one important question and if anyone could clear it up for me that would help the decision a lot.

If I go to CCOM and rotate at these hospitals, would they possibly be the same places I am applying for a residency position. If so would performing well possibly help my chances of getting that residency. For example if I would like to do an anesthesiology residency and prefer the chicago area would going to CCOM help my chances significantly over going to another school not in the area. Any knowledge on this topic would be much appreciated and I apologize if this topic has already been discussed.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would think it helps. I chose CCOM for similar reasons. There are A LOT of residency programs in the Chicago area and some programs (both MD/DO) have CCOM grads as PDs or faculty. I'm not sure about anesthesiology programs specifically though.

But remember, where you match mostly depends on your hard work and dedication.

Last edited:
Chances are better relative to the other DO schools. An MD school outside of Chicago probably still gives you a better chance though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at 4 programs in Chicago. I go to school on the east coast.

Chances are better relative to the other DO schools. An MD school outside of Chicago probably still gives you a better chance though.

Doubtful, if what hockeyfan said is true about PD directors being CCOM grads

Some are PDs, some are on faculty. I had a friend who interviewed at Rush for medical school and was interviewed by a CCOM grad. I would like to think having the CCOM connection helps.

Last edited:

I guess we could look at the current residents at the school(s) with CCOM grads on faculty.

Some are PDs, some are on faculty. I had a friend who interviewed at Rush and was interviewed by a CCOM grad. I would like to think having the CCOM connection helps.

What was your friend interviewing for?

I'm also curious about this. I'm interviewing at AZCOM, and I'd like to come back to Chicago eventually. Would AZCOM also be a decent school for landing a residency in Chicago?

I'm also curious about this. I'm interviewing at AZCOM, and I'd like to come back to Chicago eventually. Would AZCOM also be a decent school for landing a residency in Chicago?

AZCOM/CCOM have separate administrations even though they are both MWU. I would imagine AZCOM puts you in the same position as any of the other reputable DO schools though.

AZCOM/CCOM have separate administrations even though they are both MWU. I would imagine AZCOM puts you in the same position as any of the other reputable DO schools though.

Good to know. I was curious why AZCOM jumped on my app so fast and CCOM (despite the love letter I wrote them for my secondary) is still **crickets**

Oh I thought it was for residency.

Yeah I guess I should have made that more clear. Either way, I think having PDs and faculty familiar with CCOM can help your chances. Obviously board scores and LORs are a much higher priority.

The osteopathic schools have OPTIs. They are required to by COCA. For a lot of schools, the OPTIs are in a network pretty close to the home base with a scattering of programs outside the immediate area. Most of the OPTI locations, at least for PCOM, also take students. So, if a residency program is familiar and happy with a student, they stand a good chance of at least interviewing at that program.

(generalizations, use discretion)

Thanks for the help and the opinions guys! Definitely helped out!

So I guess I was a little unclear, I don't know enough about the match yet so this might be a dumb question but I wouldn't be rotating at hospitals or with doctors of a residency program that I might be applying to in chicago if I got to CCOM, right?

For example I was thinking if I did an anesthesiology rotation through CCOM (or any other specialty) could I apply for a residency spot for anesthesiology at that hospital and would rotating there help my chances assuming I make a good impression?

Also for the person asking about AZCOM I know they let you apply to have rotations in chicago for the last two years (one of the sites they give you from the list) if that helps you decide.

Thanks for the help and the opinions guys! Definitely helped out!

So I guess I was a little unclear, I don't know enough about the match yet so this might be a dumb question but I wouldn't be rotating at hospitals or with doctors of a residency program that I might be applying to in chicago if I got to CCOM, right?

For example I was thinking if I did an anesthesiology rotation through CCOM (or any other specialty) could I apply for a residency spot for anesthesiology at that hospital and would rotating there help my chances assuming I make a good impression?

Also for the person asking about AZCOM I know they let you apply to have rotations in chicago for the last two years (one of the sites they give you from the list) if that helps you decide.

During your 3rd year you have core rotations, such as internal medicine, family medicine, surgery, etc. These core rotations are set up via your school. Anesthesiology is not a core rotation. If you want to do an anesthesiology rotation, you have to use an elective. You may have 1 elective during your 3rd year and between 2 and 12 during your 4th year. You can do your electives anywhere in the country that will take you. For instance, If you end up at new England school of osteopathic medicine, you still could set up elective rotations in Chicago. You don't have to go to ccom to match in Chicago. Going to ccom may help with the Chicago programs, but I don't think anyone here could give you a definitive answer. When I was interviewing for residencies, I was given the impression that all DOs are lump together and it doesn't really matter what school you go to.

I'd be surprised if ccom has any affiliations with any hospital that has an Acgme anesthiology residency.

Last edited: