Attending Grad School Before Vet...Should I Re-Take C+ Pre-Reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kate1800

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need advice on whether or not I should be re-taking pre-req classes to raise that gpa, even if I am going to have an advanced degree (MS Biology) before applying to vet school. I received my B.S. in Biology last December.

I have a few C+s, one B- :
  • Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 lectures = C+s
  • Intro to Microbiology Lecture = C+
  • Physics 1 = C+
  • Genetics = B-
I plan on enrolling in the MS in Biology program Spring 2021; my plan for this coming Fall (2020) is to re-take a couple of my pre-reqs; is this a good idea? Or should I use this Fall to take graduate-level courses as a non-matriculating student in order to get ahead for my MS degree? Will my advanced degree help make my vet school application stronger if I do no re-take any of the pre-reqs?

Also, if I were to to re-take a couple, which ones do you think are, I guess, are more important/valuable to have higher grades in?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I think for this it would primarily depend on if you’re financially able to do both the MS and retake the pre-reqs without going to far into debt. From my understanding, most schools will take graduate courses into consideration, but for GPA the most important part is usually the last 45 or the pre-req/science GPAs (depending on school). Retaking those classes and earning higher grades would definitely be a huge benefit.

Reactions: 1 user
Dont retake the B.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I think for this it would primarily depend on if you’re financially able to do both the MS and retake the pre-reqs without going to far into debt. From my understanding, most schools will take graduate courses into consideration, but for GPA the most important part is usually the last 45 or the pre-req/science GPAs (depending on school). Retaking those classes and earning higher grades would definitely be a huge benefit.
Thanks for the input! :) Tufts University admissions told me that they calculate 2 separate GPAs fro undergrad and grad. I am thinking I will retake the ochems and microbio at undergraduate course levels in order to raise my pre req gpa. Not particularly looking forward to it lol but it will be worth it in the end!

Take a higher level O-Chem & micro class and ace them. Hire a tutor if you need to...well worth the $ spent.