Atypical applicant : Advice for next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldamns

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I've realized this is a terribly long post, so I'm going to condense some info at the top for those not willing to get to know the whole story.

sGPA : 3.0 // oGPA : 2.95 // Worked 35hr/wk all through undergrad // transfer student // Evil courseloads //
Dec. 5 DAT (first) : AcAvg: 19 // TotSci: 18 OC:17 GC:18 B:19 // PA:21 RC:22 QR:21
Just started a job at a university with complete tuition waiver.

The Full Story:
I'm new on the forums only in username as I've been lurking here for a couple of years. I've been interested in applying to dental schools for years, but due to life happening I've put it off. Now, I've completed an application just in time to have missed nearly every deadline. I'm going to target next year, but I wanted to see if I could gather some advice from you folks after detailing my numbers and background.

I graduated with a B.S. in Biological Sciences in December of 2012. I was a student that transferred from a private school's business school after my sophomore year (due to family financial issues) into a state school's biology department that allowed me to attend at instate pricing as long as I worked fulltime for a year. Doing just that, I worked 35-40 hours a week throughout my 3 and a half years there while taking a course load that was absolutely brutal in interest of graduating as soon as possible. Snapshots include Anatomy/Phsyiology/Ecology/Evolution/Intensive Spanish... Genetics/Organic II/OCIILab / Intensive Spanish ... Biochem/Comp Vert Bio/ Plant Ecol/ Latin Ameri History). Ultimately, the combination of transferring from a quarter system school to a semester school, starting all of my major coursework late, and working in order to pay for school affected my GPA. I graduated with a sGPA of about 3 and a oGPA of about 2.95. While in school I was active in club sports, but spent most of my time outside of class and study working. I did log over 140hrs shadowing dentists, and became very comfortable assisting in a free clinic.

Discouraged, under a ton of debt, and a bit bitter from my experience, I moved to a big city and took a job in sales utilizing my experience from my jobs while in college. I still wanted to become a dentist, I just didn't believe I could. So, I put off the DAT. Fast forward 2 years... I saved up enough money to take a few months off, quit the job I absolutely hated, and study and shadow dentists exclusively for this test/admissions. I was somewhat paralyzed in fear of failure and had made this test into such a monster that I avoided it way too long. I ended up not having a job longer than I expected, but ultimately took the test last weekend (way too damn late). I scored moderately well, considering I'd used resources for this exam entirely on my own and hadn't taken these classes in 5+ years. I honestly feel that I can do even better if I take it again.

Academic Average : 19
Total Science : 18 OC : 17 GC : 18 Bio : 19
RC : 22 QR : 21 PA : 21

So, now I'm sitting here with 3 lor in ADEA AADSAS... this DAT score, my sad GPA, and it's past deadline season. I'm planning on next steps.

I started my new job this week. It was a large paycut from my previous job, but is at a well regarded private university (the one I left, actually). Included in my benefits is a complete tuition waiver for any classes I would take (would have to be offered outside of the 9-5 work day). Many of the admissions counselors I've spoken to have suggested raising my GPA to become more competitive, and this has been a large motivator for taking this position.

I guess this is the part where I ask for your help.

1. Should I retake the DAT? Now that I've taken it I've realized that it's not the horrible monster I feared for 3 years. My new job has a lot of downtime, and I can comfortably say that I would have a lot of time to focus on some of the things I wasn't prepared for on my first take.

2. Should I take undergraduate or graduate level courses? I have C's on my transcript in some key coursework that I'm confident I could ace given that I'm now not taking a course load that belongs in hell. Examples : Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology. But maybe graduate work is more attractive? Also, should I focus on sciences or something more commonly offered after work hours such as MBA/business coursework that would benefit me as a self employed dentist?

3. What happens to all my information in ADEA AADSAS? Will I have to request letters all over again and submit transcripts again or does it roll over into the next years admissions cycle? I haven't officially submitted it yet... and I fear that if I don't the information wont save. Eek!

4. Do you have other advice for someone in my situation? I understand I'm not exactly a fit in the dental applicant mold, but I've invested into this and I'm confident I can overcome the blemishes in my early academic career.

If you've read this short essay, I apologize for the length but appreciate your time.

-DentalDamns

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same exact GPA as you, I had a 19 AA and a 22 TS the first time i applied didnt get in anywhere. I retook and got a 21 AA and a 22 TS again and improved all my sections. I got 4 pre- interviews. No rejections so far. Get ur community service work up, get ur volunteering up, write a BALLER personal statement. Meet with admissions directors before the cycle starts, apply early, Get A's in the rest of your classes. You will get in without having to do a post bac. Good luck, message me for more details. :)

Also, If you have enough time, plan to retake the science courses you got C's in, and Ace them. When you meet with admissions tell them you are planning on retaking some classes, and you are planning on retaking the DAT. But yes, if you have enough time to retake some of those classes then do it, but if you have more science classes to take then just focus on those and Ace them. Getting A's at this point is so important. Also yes, you do need to get brand new letters and and re submit the transcript of your newest upcoming GPA. Mostly everything else transfers over when you reapply. I was literally in the same position as you so I know exactly what you are going through but you need to take this time to really get all your eggs in one basket and prepare for next cycle. Do not procrastinate or waste time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Input your grades, play around with it to figure out how many credits of A's you need to bring your science and BCP to a 3.2.
Only take science class you know you can get A's in from now on. Retake the DAT after you get your GPA up. Apply broadly, you may not ready for next cycle if you need to take a lot of credits to raise your GPA. Best of luck.

Attachments

• AADSAS_GPACalculator - Clear.xlsx
    89.6 KB · Views: 61
  • ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects 2016.pdf
    282.8 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: 1 user