Aug Scores, need ur opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needtogetin

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I jut dont understand why my verbal sucks. I got 6v 8p 8b in april and in aug 7v 8P 9B. I want to know if its even worth it for me to end in my secondaries? should I take it again?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i bombed the verbal too, and my science scores are similar to yours. i'm still in shock and just trying to figure out what to do next. its possible to get in with those scores...just do a few searches on accepted stats.

April 2002 : 9BS, 8VR, 6PS (BUMMER) still got interviews at AZCOM and TUCOM

August 2002 : 9BS, 8VR, 8PS (YAY!)

I think you both could use some encouragement!!! All though your 7 in VR isnt the best out there, you did improve by 2 points
from April to August to a 24, and that is what counts. DO school adcom's look very favorably upon improvement and a 24 is competitive to get interviews for DO schools.

I got a 6 in PS in April 2002 and believe me I was not at all happy. Many of the DO schools I called up were not impressed with that number and told me to retake. So I gave up a whole summer just to bring up that section. My August "02 I got an 8 in PS, and I was relieved.

Hang in there!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about the thumbs down symbol guys. I meant to click thumbs up!!!!!!

My case is sad. I took the april MCAT and got a 7 VR, 7 PS, 8 BS, P WS. I took a review course this summer and was doing well. I got up to a 29 on an AAMC exam. I sent in my applications because I was definitely expecting an improvement but to then find out i got a 5 VR, 8 PS, 9 BS, Q WS:( How is that going to look to the adcoms. I improved on each section even if it wasnt much but going down 2 pts is horrible. A 5 is pretty pathetic and i really dont know what to think. I never got a 5 the first time i even took a practice MCAT. I'm in the dumps right now. All my friends (who arent premed) say you'll get in and all that encouraging stuff. But they dont have an understanding of the process at all. At this point I see myself reapplying next year. Anyone have anything encouraging to say? :(

I got a 6 in verbal 10ps 9bs...just got in to Western COMP. I say you should apply. They asked about my score, and I told them I felt a little rushed, and was nervous and warming up because it was the first section. Get an interview...and kick some a$$. The eights are average, so I say you doing OK. good luck

I would advise contacting your prospective schools and asking if there is a minimum score required in the verbal section. Most schools will give you a straight forward answer. Secondly, regardless of your decision, you should try to figure out why you had such a low score in verbal. Maybe you just had a bad case of nerves, didn't sleep well the night before, etc. If you get some interviews, this score will definitely be a topic of discussion, so be prepared to give a well thought out answer. I know someone who matriculated to an allopathic school this year with a 6 in verbal and a 25 overall, but he had extenuating circumstances. He had lived in the US for 15 years and english was his second language. He also spoke four other languages and this pushed him to the top of the pile. So, it's not completely hopeless.

Either way, best of luck.

myeyesmesmerize -- i sent you a PM