Aus vs Carrib vs DO vs MD???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaterThing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
<> I'm almost 23. I was fully into being premed during part of college, but then I sort of changed goals (finance/econ type stuff). After a short time out of school, some volunteer hours working with people, and some more experience in finance, I have decided that maybe I made a mistake in not continuing on pre-med.

Heres my profile:

<> BA in Economics/Biology

<> undergrad gpa 3.45 (my science GPA is equal or a bit lower)

<> I have taken one semester of:
<<>>calc
<<>>ochem
<<>>genetics

<> I have taken two semesters of:
<<>>general bio
<<>>inorganic chem

<> I have not taken
<<>> physics
<<>> 2nd semester ochem
<<>> biochem

I'm just trying to decide what my best "next move" is. I could either:
<> go to a 5/6year Australian undergraduate program (bachelor of medicine) and then pass the steps in order to get back to the US.

<> take physics, ochem, biochem over the course of 2 semesters, take the MCAT and then either apply:
<<>> MD
<<>> DO

Questions:

1. I'm not sure about the difference in headache between:
<> AUS:
<<>> passing tests (that you study for on your own time on top of their medschool) in order to get back to the US

<> DO:
<<>> possibly being disadvantaged in matching for specialties? (I've heard this before...is it true?)

<> MD
<<>> I'm just guessing that my numbers wont be competitive with a 3.4 gpa. I figure my MCAT will be 28 to 32 range (based on how I usually do on standardized tests).

2. What is a better potential benefit?
<> Aus: I get to just "go" (no post bac or MCAT)
<> DO/MD: I have to do MCAT + post bac

Sorry if the post is confusing with the outline format! I think in outlines! haha

Members don't see this ad.

MD>DO>AUS>Caribbean.

Applying broadly = better chances

End of conversation.

MD>DO>AUS>Caribbean.

Applying broadly = better chances

End of conversation.

Yeah, basically if your goal is to practice in the US, your best bet is always to go to med school in the US. There are no shortcuts. The US residencies basically look at US seniors first before even considering overseas/offshore folks because they like to go with what they know. And with the number of US seniors increasing dramatically each year while residency slots basically remain stable, it gets tougher and tougher to get any residency, let alone a desirable one, if you are coming from a non-US locale. I'd leave the Australia and caribbean options aside unless US options don't pan out.

Members don't see this ad :)
A D.O. medical degree will not disadvantage you for residencies. Primary care is wide open for anyone. However, I know plenty of people who have matched very solid residencies in every specialty with the D.O. Plus the osteopathic profession have their own residencies in every specialty that only D.O. students can apply to.

If you want to practice in the US then go to school in the US. If you want to practice in Australia then go go there, but it probably isn't worth the aggravation to try and translate one education into licensing in another country. Don't even think about the Caribbean at this point. DO and MD are pretty much equal in my book. There are going to be naysayers no matter what you decide but I highly doubt that doing one over the other will hurt your opportunities all that much.

As a fellow finance career changer with a much lower cGPA I have to laugh at your post because you seem to be in pretty good shape. A 3.45 is not too shabby. The average accepted Allopathic GPA is only slightly higher than 3.5 (cum is like 3.6 and science is 3.4) and remember that is a mean, there are people with 4.0's and people with 2.5's in there.

You should finish up your reqs and take Biochem but take your time. Do 2 or 3 classes per semester and aim to get A's in them all. Volunteer and look at other opportunities to get clinical experience. Make a plan for the MCAT and set aside 3-4 months to study for it. If you think you can get a 28-32 then you don't have an issue with taking standardized tests. The average Allopathic MCAT last year was only 27.9, so if you score in your projected range you are in good shape.

Good luck.

What schoos offer the AUS degree? Are they even real doctors? I heard they can't specialize like DO's can. Haha j/k, probably not that funny I know.

Anyway, I bet that if you rock the MCAT you still have a shot at US MD. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate for a second in your shoes to go DO. Anybody with stats in your range who completely overlooks DO for foreign schools is missing out on a great option, IMHO