Author on paper question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringphysician190

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! This is probably a stupid question, but I just wanted to check. I was listed as the first author on an abstract published but then there is an asterisk below saying "all authors contributed equally." Do I list on my med school apps that I was first author on the abstract still? Also, the same abstract was then turned into a poster and my name was listed first on that as well, my PI told me to put my name first because I wrote it and then her name last because she was the most experienced on the project. I however did not present the poster myself, I just created it and another researcher on my team presented it at a conference. Do I list this poster as a published piece of work? Do I list the poster and abstract as two different publishings? I just want to make sure that I am documenting this all correctly on my apps. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

List yourself as first author for the published abstract, since you did not present the poster yourself you will want to underline the person who actually presented the work.

I was listed as the first author on an abstract published but then there is an asterisk below saying "all authors contributed equally." Do I list on my med school apps that I was first author on the abstract still? Also, the same abstract was then turned into a poster and my name was listed first on that as well, my PI told me to put my name first because I wrote it and then her name last because she was the most experienced on the project.

Eh. Usually the point of saying "first author" is to show that you contributed the most. Maybe ask your PI this.

I however did not present the poster myself, I just created it and another researcher on my team presented it at a conference. Do I list this poster as a published piece of work?

Posters aren't publications. You could have maybe said something about the poster you made, but since you didn't actually present it, I don't think you can say you "presented it" in your AACOMAS.

Do I list the poster and abstract as two different publishings? I just want to make sure that I am documenting this all correctly on my apps. Thanks!

Yea, I don't want to be the barrier of bad news, but abstracts and posters don't count as publications (at least I don't think so, unless AACOMAS says something else). Publications have DOI numbers, and are published in journals like "Science" or "Nature".

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh. Usually the point of saying "first author" is to show that you contributed the most. Maybe ask your PI this.

posters aren't publications. You could have maybe said something about the poster you made, but since you didn't actually present it, I don't think you can say you "presented it" in your AACOMAS.

Yea, I don't want to be the barrier of bad news, but abstracts and posters don't count as publications (at least I don't think so, unless AACOMAS says something else). Publications have DOI numbers, and are published in journals like "Science" or "Nature".
Thanks, however now I am now very confused. My abstract was published in JMIR and does have a DOI.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, however now I am now very confused. My abstract was published in JMIR and does have a DOI.

Ok, maybe its fair game then. I thought you were talking mostly about your poster abstract.

You should ask your PI to be 100% sure.

In cases of "all authors contributed equally," this is a rising phenomenon in academic publishing where the correct term is "co-authorship." So if you're second, third, etc. and all people preceding you and yourself have the asterisk, then you would cite it exactly as it appears without moving any authors around and note that you are co-first author.

Double listing is also a no-no in academia but since this is a med school app, I think you could list them both in one entry to note that the abstract led to the poster. But again, don't move any author names around.

Reactions: 1 users
In cases of "all authors contributed equally," this is a rising phenomenon in academic publishing where the correct term is "co-authorship." So if you're second, third, etc. and all people preceding you and yourself have the asterisk, then you would cite it exactly as it appears without moving any authors around and note that you are co-first author.

Double listing is also a no-no in academia but since this is a med school app, I think you could list them both in one entry to note that the abstract led to the poster. But again, don't move any author names around.
Thanks so much!!!

I was listed as the first author on an abstract published but then there is an asterisk below saying "all authors contributed equally." Do I list on my med school apps that I was first author on the abstract still? Also, the same abstract was then turned into a poster and my name was listed first on that as well, my PI told me to put my name first because I wrote it and then her name last because she was the most experienced on the project. I however did not present the poster myself, I just created it and another researcher on my team presented it at a conference. Do I list this poster as a published piece of work? Do I list the poster and abstract as two different publishings? I just want to make sure that I am documenting this all correctly on my apps.
My abstract was published in JMIR and does have a DOI.
So it appeared in an e-journal, right? You'd cite this as a co-authored e-pub under Publications on AMCAS (ideally, providing a URL), but then in the same space say that the same data was also presented as a 1st-authored poster at XXX conference on yy/yy/yy date by the [3rd?] author. When the same data is presented in multiple formats, list it under the most prestigious, but mention the others in the same space. No need to use up a Posters space in addition to a Publications space, in your case.

So it appeared in an e-journal, right? You'd cite this as a co-authored e-pub under Publications on AMCAS (ideally, providing a URL), but then in the same space say that the same data was also presented as a 1st-authored poster at XXX conference on yy/yy/yy date by the [3rd?] author. When the same data is presented in multiple formats, list it under the most prestigious, but mention the others in the same space. No need to use up a Posters space in addition to a Publications space, in your case.
Thank-you for your help!!

Hi there! This is probably a stupid question, but I just wanted to check. I was listed as the first author on an abstract published but then there is an asterisk below saying "all authors contributed equally." Do I list on my med school apps that I was first author on the abstract still? Also, the same abstract was then turned into a poster and my name was listed first on that as well, my PI told me to put my name first because I wrote it and then her name last because she was the most experienced on the project. I however did not present the poster myself, I just created it and another researcher on my team presented it at a conference. Do I list this poster as a published piece of work? Do I list the poster and abstract as two different publishings? I just want to make sure that I am documenting this all correctly on my apps. Thanks!

Don't make it complicated. List your name exactly where it is listed on the abstract/poster/paper. I do think underlining the person who presented the poster seems reasonable, but your name was wherever your name was on the poster.

It is your PI's responsibility to have authors in the correct order. Any trainee presenting an abstract/poster I've ever submitted was given very specific instructions on which author went where. The trainee always got first author if presenting it themselves.

Don't make it complicated. List your name exactly where it is listed on the abstract/poster/paper. I do think underlining the person who presented the poster seems reasonable, but your name was wherever your name was on the poster.

It is your PI's responsibility to have authors in the correct order. Any trainee presenting an abstract/poster I've ever submitted was given very specific instructions on which author went where. The trainee always got first author if presenting it themselves.
Thank you very much!