AVC c/o 2016 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lab Rat83

AVC c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are any AVC wannabes out there. I know many of them got in last year and another has apparently left the forum.

This will be my second year applying (from NB). I'm doing everything I can to strengthen my application this year except increasing my prereq GPA (which currently sits around an 82% or for you Americans 3.7) as I can't really afford to do another semester of undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

You may see more people join in the next few weeks. I know I wasn't really thinking about my application the first time around until a couple weeks into September. :)

I'm an AVC wannabe :)

This will be my first time applying and I'm very excited/nervous! I'm applying from NS. I still have 2 prereqs to finish this fall but as long as I don't bomb them I feel pretty good about my GPA. Way more worried about interview (if I get one) and animal/vet experience.

It is nice to have people in the same boat to celebrate or commiserate with :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a first-year from the states (Connecticut) so if anyone has any questions, feel free to message me or post on here!

I am also applying. I am trying to increase my pre-req GPA too and diversify my animal experience (I spent the last 1 1/2 years doing invertebrate research, hence the username).

Last edited:
Anyone started working on the supplemental application yet? I have been working on it a bit. I can't believe I'm applying this year, it seems like this is all a dream :laugh:

I've also started to panic a bit but I'm trying to remain calm. So far so good, no nervous breakdown...yet:)

I've started picking away at mine. Since this is my 2nd year applying, I only really have to update what I did within the last year and maybe re-edit or add to what I've already had.

I'm not feeling as nervous as I was last year. I guess this time around, I know a little more of what to expect and I'm prepared for the long wait to find out about interviews.

I only have to update my supplemental. When I first filled out my supplemental, I used the campus Writing Center to help me out.
Does acting as a student representative on the Animal Care Committee count as animal experience or an extracurricular? I have more than ten extracurriculars and I am debating whether to include the greatest diversity of activities or the greatest number of hours.

Last edited:
Sounds to me it would be extra-curricular.

I never thought about using the Writing Centre to help with the supplemental. That is a good idea, writing is definitely not my strong point. I have my first rough draft finished but it will need editing.

I never thought about using the Writing Centre to help with the supplemental. That is a good idea, writing is definitely not my strong point. I have my first rough draft finished but it will need editing.

there was very little 'writing' involved in my AVC supplemental..
With a limited word count, basically all you need to do is list activities and responsibilities in an organized manner..
No full sentences required.

Focus on the 3 C's (i just made this up, yeah) :
Clarity, Concision, and Consistency.

Writing centres shouldn't be able to help very much with lists..
If you think lists are too informal and feel the need to write paragraphs, I'd tell you that you're wasting your word count (which could be better used providing more detail on activities)..

there was very little 'writing' involved in my AVC supplemental..
With a limited word count, basically all you need to do is list activities and responsibilities in an organized manner..
No full sentences required.

Writing centres shouldn't be able to help very much with lists..
If you think lists are too informal and feel the need to write paragraphs, I'd tell you that you're wasting your word count (which could be better used providing more detail on activities)..

I just assumed they required paragraphs because it said "You will be evaluated based on...<bunch of stuff to do with the experience>....and your ability to communicate in writing."

I suppose a well-written list is just as good as a well-written paragraph. My rough draft is in list form so if lists are good that is less editing work for me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just assumed they required paragraphs because it said "You will be evaluated based on...<bunch of stuff to do with the experience>....and your ability to communicate in writing."

I suppose a well-written list is just as good as a well-written paragraph. My rough draft is in list form so if lists are good that is less editing work for me :)
Sometimes I would preface a list with a sentence fragment, such as
"Shadowed the following Equine procedures: Vaccinations, lameness exam, and sedation."

I.e. use a sentence fragment (or sentence) to give the context of your list where necessary.

If it's extracurriculars, you could give a full sentence or two describing your position there, and then follow it up with a list of duties/responsibilities.

E.g. Walmart
Worked in the jewelry department as a sales rep. Duties and responsibilities included: Guarding treasure, digging holes out back, burying treasure

Get the idea?
Don't take my word for it, get in contact with others (particularly Jack Macdougall at upei) and see what they say about it.

Consistency can't be stressed enough.. Make sure you don't alternate between past and present tense unless it is appropriate

I did the same as New Foundland. Clear, concise, more or less bullet points. IMO, "your ability to communicate in writing" can refer to knowing when it's appropriate to use various styles of writing. Bullet lists are inappropriate in essay questions, but just fine in resumes. Of course, there's also spelling and punctuation too.

I talked to Lab Rat a little about her supplemental and one of the things I found with hers (sorry to use you as an example!) was she didn't really mention soft skills. Technical skills (running diagnostics, restraint, procedures, etc) are great! But working in a team, leading a team, communication skills and customer/client service are great to put down too. Remember - your interview will be about situations and behaviour, not about vet med itself. Don't underestimate the value of those soft skills.

No, prob Coquette! Thank you for your help and suggestions. I'm being forced to focus on preparing myself to re-write that @*%#'ing GRE! Next step is to get my supplemental looking (and sounding) awesome!

Great suggestions Nfld! Thank you for those! I was always curious how others listed their experiences.

I used bullets to list the duties in my supplemental. I used the Writing Center to make sure it was a clear and effective way of documenting my activities, to get in opinion on what was appropriate to include and they caught some grammar errors and odd-sounding sentences. My supplemental is still a work in progress. I would include some examples, but I am not at home at the moment. I tried to include everything: from being taught how to do blood chemistry analyses to giving tours at the clinic's open house, to working by myself at a food kiosk to participating in sports competitions as part of a team. As for veterinary experience, I was not fortunate enough to get a lot of hands-on experience (I did a lot of cleaning and shadowing) so I have to play up everything else to make up for it. What do I know though? They didn't even look at my application last year. :laugh:.

I'm being forced to focus on preparing myself to re-write that @*%#'ing GRE!
Me too. Did they screw you over when it came to money? I paid for it with VISA. They then billed me, saying that I owe $9.xx. They did this to me the last time I registered for the test.

Me too. Did they screw you over when it came to money? I paid for it with VISA. They then billed me, saying that I owe $9.xx. They did this to me the last time I registered for the test.

Me too! I booked in June and payed with MC. I wrote in August and I got a letter 9 days before my test date saying I owed them $9.35. Not overly impressed with ETS.

On the bright side, I found the new format made for a better writing experience. I won't know my official scores until mid-November, but they gave a range at the end of the test and the low ends for both verbal and quantitative were higher than my previous scores. Being able to mark and review questions was what made the difference for me. I was able to manage my time better and focus on questions I knew I could get right.

Glad to hear that you did well, Ky. I am nervous about writing it , but at least I gave myself time to do a re-write in case I flop. :xf:.

I hate ETS! I took advantage of the 50% off deal and booked my test months ago, paid with my Visa; only to get a bill in the mail saying I owe them $25. Last year they sent my scores to my old address despite me registering with my new address! End ETS rant.

When I call EMS to pay the remainder, I am going to complain about the extra charge. It probably won't do much good, but it would make up for the annoying "Honey? A letter came from EMS and I don't know what it is or what to do about it!" call I got from my 'rents. I did not have my current address when I registered, so I put in my permanent one, not thinking I would get another bill. :laugh:.

Is it okay to have my GRE scores sent to AVC, even though I have not sent them my application form yet?
Edited to add: The extra charge is a Canadian tax charge. I think it is because the company is based in the states.

Last edited:
Done (even though I do not think the results will be available until November anyway). I am nervous about tomorrow. I do not know how the Kaplan people expect me to stay awake through "Medical and Veterinary Entomology" at 8:30 and the test at 1 without coffee. :yawn:.

Done (even though I do not think the results will be available until November anyway). I am nervous about tomorrow. I do not know how the Kaplan people expect me to stay awake through "Medical and Veterinary Entomology" at 8:30 and the test at 1 without coffee. :yawn:.

Good luck!!! I'm sure you will do amazing! On a side note, do you go to SMU?

I messaged you, Ky :).

There was a catagory of quantitative questions that never came up when I was doing practice questions or tests. I ran out of time on that section because I did not know how to approach them (they were questions dealing with number sequences). The highest score I can get is 1110 which is not high enough for my average. I will likely re-write it in December. :(. I am disappointed because I did a lot better on my practice tests. I do have a tendency to choke a little bit under pressure.

There was a catagory of quantitative questions that never came up when I was doing practice questions or tests. I ran out of time on that section because I did not know how to approach them (they were questions dealing with number sequences). The highest score I can get is 1110 which is not high enough for my average. I will likely re-write it in December. :(. I am disappointed because I did a lot better on my practice tests. I do have a tendency to choke a little bit under pressure.

I don't remember if I had number sequences. If I did I probably guessed :) Maybe the scores will be higher than they state. It is the test phase so maybe their range predictions are off. If you decide to write in December, I can PM some of my verbal notes and quant tricks if you want.

Ok, so I have a bit of a dilemma. I am short on animal/vet hours (or I think I am compared to others). Here is what I have so far:
-50 hours SA/LA vet
-45 hours SA vet
-12 hours lab animal vet
-125 hours volunteering at an animal shelter
-35 hours at dog groomer
-30 hours at doggy daycare
-75 hours canine lab
-50 hours rodent lab

I have been offered a job at a vet clinic starting in January. I have the opportunity to shadow for one day a week until then, but I'm feeling very stretched thin. I have a full course load, need to work a min of 15 hours/week at my current job, and my volunteering/research takes up about 15 hours/week. The bus ride to the clinic is 2 hours round trip. Is it worth it to take on more for probably an extra 35 hours max? Or should I spend that time studying to get good grades in my courses? I just want to spend my time wisely. I know it is difficult to say definitively what is better, but any opinions are welcome :)

Btw, in January I will have 1 in class course and 2 online easy courses so I'm not worried about time constraints then.

Am I right in saying that if you work in January, it will only be of benefit if you were to be rejected and have to apply next year (since applications are due in November)

I was talking to my research supervisor about my research hours (I am including it in my extracurriculars) and he said on applications like that, they're more concerned whether you have 10 hours or 500 hours and not as concerned with whether you have 500 or 510 for instance. (If someone wants to weigh in on this, go ahead)

Where you have a smaller number of hours, adding 35 may be beneficial. If you have 500 hours and wanted to add 35, it probably would not make much of a difference on your application. If you are taking any pre-reqs this semester and you are already starting to feel stretched thin, you may want to put more focus on your coursework.GPA/GRE is what lands you an interview. Interview/experience/extracurriculars is what lands you a spot.

Do you have a lot of extracurriculars? Coquette got snagged on that aspect of her application. If those hours are low, you could join an activity/sport/club that you enjoy that has less commute.

I do not know much about the hours from last year's applicants. I could post mine if you want something to compare it too (I think I have a few more hours than you which are spread out over 8 different places)

I think the January hours would only count if I was rejected and applied next year because the app says to list up to Nov. 1. I have 4500 hours total for extracurriculars: about 3000 hours employment (retail,nanny, research), 1450 volunteering (literacy tutoring and research), and 50 on a literacy committee.

I'm taking prereqs, 2 of the bio and organic chem. I'm torn because I have tried so hard over the last year to get clincal experience and I don't want to pass it up if it will really help. On the other hand, I can't let the prereqs slide.

Ok, so I have a bit of a dilemma. I am short on animal/vet hours (or I think I am compared to others). Here is what I have so far:
-50 hours SA/LA vet
-45 hours SA vet
-12 hours lab animal vet
-125 hours volunteering at an animal shelter
-35 hours at dog groomer
-30 hours at doggy daycare
-75 hours canine lab
-50 hours rodent lab

I have been offered a job at a vet clinic starting in January. I have the opportunity to shadow for one day a week until then, but I'm feeling very stretched thin. I have a full course load, need to work a min of 15 hours/week at my current job, and my volunteering/research takes up about 15 hours/week. The bus ride to the clinic is 2 hours round trip. Is it worth it to take on more for probably an extra 35 hours max? Or should I spend that time studying to get good grades in my courses? I just want to spend my time wisely. I know it is difficult to say definitively what is better, but any opinions are welcome :)

Btw, in January I will have 1 in class course and 2 online easy courses so I'm not worried about time constraints then.

I'd say the most important thing just now is to focus on your grades and doing well on your GRE. If you can keep up your current job as well as your volunteering and research, I'd say you're doing the best you can with the time/schedule you have. While it would be nice, ideally, to have more hours, the opportunity you describe sounds inconvenient in any context.

I'm taking prereqs, 2 of the bio and organic chem. I'm torn because I have tried so hard over the last year to get clincal experience and I don't want to pass it up if it will really help.

Uh oh. That does not give me much hope. I moved here thinking it would be easier for me to get veterinary experience. :(. I only have 342 veterinary hours. If I do not get in this year, I lose 200 of them because they will be over 5 years old.

Uh oh. That does not give me much hope. I moved here thinking it would be easier for me to get veterinary experience. :(. I only have 342 veterinary hours. If I do not get in this year, I lose 200 of them because they will be over 5 years old.

I tried at least 8 different clinics. My cats' vet said I could watch surgeries, one clinic said to try 6 months later (this was in Feb), and one wanted me to be there a min of 20 hours per week (unpaid and I had to work classes around when they needed me). The rest were a flat out no.

I just tried clinics that were within a 1.5 hour bus ride, so if you have a car you might have more luck. Also, where you have more vet experience they might be more open to you.

If you decide to write in December, I can PM some of my verbal notes and quant tricks if you want.

I'm re-writing my GRE next Wednesday....feel free to PM me your tricks.

As for shadowing.....try Fairview Animal Hospital, they seemed really good about allowing students to shadow there.

I'm re-writing my GRE next Wednesday....feel free to PM me your tricks.

Mine was a trainwreck. I could not finish one section because one type of question appeared that I did not see in my practice tests and it threw me off. If my scores were at the high end of the ranges I would be content, but I think I will try to re-write it in January. I hope it works out for you.

Under extracurriculars, do you think I'm allowed to put an activity as A (employment) and B (voluntary) and list the hours I spent doing each? I am including my honours research project in my extracurriculars. I collected data before enrolling in the course ("volunteered"), fulfilled the 6 hours/week for two semesters (and beyond), then I was employed to continue my research.

I'd split the hours and list them under both, especially since it sounds like they were two different time periods, am I right? (So you did from (date 1) to (date 2) as voluntary, and then from (date 2) to (date 3) as employed?)

You can give our good ol' buddy Jack a call to know for sure. :love: That man has been amazing help to me over the last year.

Haha, yeah, I could contact Jack. I would rather check with you guys before I go crawling to Jack for everything.

I will include the dates I volunteered and the dates I worked. I did not want to split it up into to columns because I was doing the exact same things over the course of the project... just that at one point, I was doing it without being paid and then I was being paid. The only difference is that I had to train someone while I was being paid. Thank you for the advice!

Also, would someone be willing to have a look at the responsiblities I listed for my research? I got the jist of how to write it for extracurriculars and employment, but I do not know what information is appropriate to discuss with regards to research. I am torn between telling them more about the project (so my duties make sense) or just giving a brief overview and describing my duties in more detail. (Am I overthinking this too much? :p)

Last edited:
You can give our good ol' buddy Jack a call to know for sure. :love: That man has been amazing help to me over the last year.

Agreed! He is very helpful. I've contacted him so much over the past year I'm surprised he hasn't filed a restraining order haha.

As for the extracurriculars, I have a similar situation. I volunteered in my honours lab then got a research grant to do my honours project. I listed them separately because the research and my level of responsibility differed between the two. Plus one was paid, the other not.

As for the extracurriculars, I have a similar situation. I volunteered in my honours lab then got a research grant to do my honours project. I listed them separately because the research and my level of responsibility differed between the two. Plus one was paid, the other not.

I did not realize that you did a thesis as well. Awesome! Maybe I have ran into you at a conference and not have known it?

I had the same delima with my employment. I worked for the same fast food company at three different locations. Since for two of the three, I had the same responsibilites, I lumped them together. At the third, I worked alone at a mall kiosk. Although it was the same job, my responsibilities were significantly different, so I separated them on my application. I was debating whether to stick them together so I could free up a space for another extracurricular, but I think that would be stretching it a bit. :laugh:.

My application is almost done. :).

Edited to add: Is there a minimum score for the GRE that they will accept or do you just do the best you can do? I just met a pre-vet and she seemed to think there was a minimum, so I wanted to check.

Last edited:
My application is almost done. :).

Edited to add: Is there a minimum score for the GRE that they will accept or do you just do the best you can do? I just met a pre-vet and she seemed to think there was a minimum, so I wanted to check.

My application is still in first rough draft phase :( I've spent the last week or so readjusting to my fall schedule. This weekend it will be work time :)

I don't think there is a minimum. Jack didn't mention a minimum score, he just told me that higher was better and my score (from the first time) should be ok. He said it might need to be higher if I applied in a year with really strong applicants, so I'm guessing the grade it on some sort of curve. Or maybe he meant to make up for other parts of my application (i.e. vet experience, haha).

He said it might need to be higher if I applied in a year with really strong applicants, so I'm guessing the grade it on some sort of curve. Or maybe he meant to make up for other parts of my application (i.e. vet experience, haha).

I thought that every year was a year with really strong applicants. :laugh:.
If I am lucky, I will have 1100 combined. I am thinking I should re-write in January.

I keep hearing horror stories about people not getting in. I heard a story today about a girl getting accepted who did not really want to go, and she went anyway. I wish people would stop telling me stories! :(.

He said it might need to be higher if I applied in a year with really strong applicants, so I'm guessing the grade it on some sort of curve. Or maybe he meant to make up for other parts of my application (i.e. vet experience, haha).

The second option. There is no curve, AFAIK. But if most people have strong applications and are getting 5/5 for their GRE and you get a 4/5, you're not going to stack up as well. But yes, GRE can (to an extent) improve on weak academics.

The hell...? If she didn't want to go, why did she? :confused:

What does AFAIK stand for?

I met a pre-vetter today. She knew someone who decided to apply on a whim, got accepted, was thinking of deferring, but decided to go to vet school because she had nothing better to do. It would be discouraging if it were true. I keep hearing horror stories from those who have yet to apply, from those who could not get in, and from people working in the veterinary field. In the last few months, I heard of two people giving up and going to Australia, two getting their B.Sc. and not getting in, one getting a Masters and not getting an interview, and I am pretty sure I know people who know all of the people who did not get interviews last year (or so it seems). As soon as people find out I am trying to get into vet school, they present this information to me. I know it is hard. All it does is make me dream of winning the lottery so I could join the masses in Australia.

Last edited:
What does AFAIK stand for?

I met a pre-vetter today (who is in rougher shape than I am). It was her friend that decided to apply on a whim, got accepted, was thinking of deferring, but decided to go to vet school because she had nothing better to do. Whether it is true or not, I do not know, but it would be discouraging if it were true. I keep hearing horror stories from those who have yet to apply, from those who could not get in, and from people working in the veterinary field. In the last few months, I heard of two people giving up and going to Australia, two getting their B.Sc. and not getting in, one getting a Masters and not getting an interview, and I am pretty sure I know people who know all of the people who did not get interviews last year (or so it seems). As soon as people find out I am trying to get into vet school, they present this information to me. I know it is hard and I would prefer to not know the details. All it does is make me dream of winning the lottery so I could join the masses in Australia.

Afaik= as far as I know.

It is discouraging to hear those stories and to hear how difficult it is to get in. I have had many moments, especially the last couple weeks, where I think to myself "what am I doing? I don't stand a chance!". But this is what I want and if it takes a couple tries than so be it. If after a couple of tries I'm getting nowhere, then I will have to look at alternatives. No one is a perfect candidate or a shoo-in. Take the horror stories with a grain of salt and hope for the best. Some people may just be trying to scare you for whatever reason.

Will a combined score of 1500 give me 5/5 on the GRE, or does getting within the 60th percentile on the GRE give me a 5/5? Or are they both synonymous? A much older thread said 60th. Someone (cannot remember who) told me to aim for a 1500. Wanted to check!