AVC c/o 2016 Hopefuls

Started by Lab Rat83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just sent a frantic email to my thesis supervisor asking "What do I do?!!?" I do not even even know what type of Masters programs I should be seeking out. I have other interests outside of parasitology, but I don't know if it is appropriate to go seeking out research that I do not necessarily have the courses for. Plus, most of the university websites are difficult to navigate.

Edited to add: I had a dream last night. Some university in England had a 4-year Veterinary Pathology program that was easy to get into and only $10 000 a semester (haha). A woman was having an information session. She said there was a lot of thesis writing. I got excited because, hey, I wrote a thesis. She also gave us examples of the types of problems we had to solve in school. One was about a dead elephant. She listed the initial symptoms and the symptoms the elephant experienced once he started to get worse and asked us what it is, and how we were supposed to treat at both stages of the illness. The application form was short and they did not list the grade requirements. I was standing in the line at McDonalds, debating whether I was going to apply when I woke up. 😛.

Edited to add again: I need to include an official transcript from my current institution even though I do not have any marks. I do not have to include an old transcript that has not changed since last year. Yay.
 
Last edited:
I'm done my supplemental (finally)! I'm getting several people to edit it over the next few days. I will probably mail it Wednesday. I'm so excited and nervous, this is actually happening!😱
 
Yay, Ky! Mine is finished too!!

I just have to order my transcripts. I was going to pick up my transcript today but I remembered that I wanted to changes classes next semester. I thought I should do that before I send it away. It is a huge gigantic pain in the butt for me to switch classes. Because I did not attend this university for undergrad, it won't let me register for a course because I "do not have the pre-reqs". So I have to get the student service people to override every single course and lab in order to register. It is a PAIN.

I want to have another look at the class schedule to see if any of the chem courses I can take are magically being offered because I desperately need to upgrade those marks. If not, I will be stuck trying to turn my 83s and 87s into 93s, which will not make for a fun semester. The only other course I could possibly "upgrade" is microbiology, which I got a 79 in. Boo.

Still debating whether re-taking the GRE will be beneficial.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My chemistry marks are very good, math is what brings me down. Stats and I are not friends. After 6 years of university, I have pretty much taken it all so finding alternate classes is difficult. It would be minor improvements anyway, like an A- or an A to an A+. Except in math, plenty of room for improvement there haha. I just have to hope what I have is good enough.

I feel your pain with registering for classes. The past 2 years I was just an upgrading student so getting into any upper level class was a nightmare. I finally bit the bullet and became a degree student. It took them 3 months to approve my application and transfer my credits, but now things run more smoothly 🙂
 
I am still not used to the fact that our university runs on letter grades. My undergrad university used numbers. They don't make sense to me until I convert them in my head. :idea:.

I had such a bad experience with pre-cal that I never ever went back. So I took Stats... and had to drop it because the professor was that horrible. Took it with a different professor the following year and did quite well. I tried to use my notes from the first time to study for it... my notes still didn't make any sense 😕. I got a B+(?) in the second half because I took it during a very rough semester. I really do not want to take another one. Stats is brutal. Stats is boring. 👎.

I just found out that an animal forensics course is being offered next semester to test it out. It sounds exciting. I might look into it. I think only 5 have registered so far.
 
I have 2 volunteer experiences that I started in October 2005. For both of them I have the numbers of hours in the last 5 years (so since Oct. 2006). For the start date should I put October 2005 or October 2006? I don't want it to seem as though I'm using hours from 2005 but I want to put the correct start date as well.
 
I asked Coquette about this. She said to use November 2006 so that they will not get confused.

I misunderstood what someone said and included all of the hours on my application last year. If they go to compare my new app with my old app, they will see one of activities be drastically void of hours. I feel so dumb for screwing that up.

My university is not offering any chem courses that I can take (except organic). One of the classes was canceled but the site says the instructor or the time is TBA, so I wonder if they will offered it. I wonder if it is too late for me to register at another university and take a class with them. If I do that, it may screw up my student loan. I was warned that if I want to register for a different class, I would have to add the class and then drop the one that I did not want because if student loan saw that I was only registered for two classes, there would likely be issues.
 
You can register for a class at another university, it shouldn't be too late. Last year I registered for winter semester classes at the beginning of January.

Thanks for the info about the start dates!
 
I am printing out my application now. I just noticed the fine print at the bottom that if your four biology courses are under 70%, you are not eligible for acceptance. Big sigh of relief that my average is no where near that number! Do people actually apply with those numbers!

If I get an 80 in Physics and an 80 in Organic Chem (which are realistic if I work my tail off), then I will have an 82.88. That may fluctuate depending on how well I do this semester. If I retake the GRE (and do better than 1100 which I think I am at now), I wonder if I will be okay for CO 2016.

I will still have a whopping 64 and 68 on my transcript thanks to gen chem II and biochem. There is not much else I can play around with. I got a 79 in micro, so I am thinking of picking up environmental microbiology next semester. I also have two low 80s in my arts section. Arts courses have been hit or miss with me though, so I don`t think it would be worth my while to risk taking another one.

To all you kiddies out there who are thinking of going to vet school, dont mess up your core courses because you will spend a long time trying to correct your mistakes. 😛.
 
I am printing out my application now. I just noticed the fine print at the bottom that if your four biology courses are under 70%, you are not eligible for acceptance. Big sigh of relief that my average is no where near that number! Do people actually apply with those numbers!

I thought the exact same thing when I read that! Don't worry too much about the 60s in chem courses; I have a B- and C+ for my stats marks 😱. I'm replacing the C+ with whatever grade I get in finite math, but I won't be taking that until the winter semester so for interviews it will not help. Even if I didn't replace it, I think my average is still competitive but I would like to replace it for my ego :laugh:
 
I was under the impression that only a course with stats as a pre-req could count as your math elective.

If I could replace it with anything, I should consider taking calculus next semester. It would be helpful if I had to take an upper level chem course. :laugh:.

I hope a few people with <70% will apply this year. It would increase my chances of getting an interview. 🙄.
 
Jack was the one who advised me to take finite math to replace one of my stats classes 🙂 I'm taking it online through Athabasca, which he said was fine.
 
I was under the impression that only a course with stats as a pre-req could count as your math elective.

Nope. Any math/stats course that will count towards a BSc (basically, this just discounts things like Math for the Liberal Arts) will count. At NSAC, most people did calculus and stats. I did first and second year stats at Dal. If you like calculus, go for it!
 
What is interesting is that C++ was required for a B.Sc when I took it (needed it to prove "computer proficiency"... I could have challenged it, but I needed another math anyway), yet I was not allowed to include it on my vet school app. I was told that stats needed to be a pre-req so I took stats II. 😕. I did slightly better in stats II than C++ but still. I guess C++ is an exception?

Ky, what is it like to take math through distance? Do you find it better?
My pre-cal prof ruined math for me (80% of the class failed, highest mark was a 73!) so I am hesitant on taking another math course at university. I do not want to deal with another prof who is forced to take sabbatical because he sucks so bad. 🙄.

I am going to register for environmental micro (it has a lab, so it should replace regular microbiology?) Maybe I can look into taking math through distance too!

On the positive side, my thesis supervisor recommended some potential masters supervisors to me. He wants to have a chat with me about that. My classes are going well too. I feel like I am doing well in the 3 classes that I have and I am happy that I no longer have to deal with a part-time job, horrible roomates and illnesses which kept me from working harder at my undergrad courses that were challenging for me.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I retook intro stats through Athabasca and actually liked the course. I got an A+ but I retook it before I decided on vet med, so it was 3 years after the C+ not 6 so it won't count 🙁 I prefer distance courses with Athabasca because you can work at your own pace. You do need to learn the material more in depth and you must be very motivated. You make your own deadlines and no one is there to keep you on track. If you need external motivation and have trouble keeping deadlines, distance is probably not the best option. You also need to be an independent learner and you have to figure most things out on your own. I like distance courses but they are not for everyone.
 
Thank you. I will have to think about it. Now that I am not working and dont have a thesis under my belt, I am better at managing my time, but I still kind of suck at it lol

Getting transcripts have been a pain. My undergrad has a system in place where you email them a transcript order form to a special transcript email address. I did that yesterday morning and have not heard from them. I had wanted to do it over the phone (to make sure it gets done) but the automated voice messaging system kept telling me to do it online.
I wanted to register for environmental micro for the winter semester. The registrars office lifted the "pre-req required" ban without any problems this summer. Today, I found out that they are not supposed to to that! So they told me to go to the department secretary, who told me to go to some prof, who made me send him my undergrad transcript... so now I am waiting. :bang:
 
Getting transcripts have been a pain. My undergrad has a system in place where you email them a transcript order form to a special transcript email address. I did that yesterday morning and have not heard from them. I had wanted to do it over the phone (to make sure it gets done) but the automated voice messaging system kept telling me to do it online.

My final transcripts couldn't be in on time for AVC because my school wouldn't post final grades until after the six week winter break. So they were late by about three weeks. I wouldn't worry about not hearing back after just one day - those sorts of things may take a couple to process.
 
Mailing my application tomorrow! I have to pick up my last transcript today then do one final round of edits with the supplemental. I'm so excited (and so nervous)! I don't know how I will survive the 4 month wait to hear about interviews.
 
Just aced one of my midterms. Feel a little defeated because I forgot the resovoire hosts of Chagas Disease (had the right answer but changed it to bats 😕) and may have messed up a little bit on a piddly 5 point question, but based on the overall exam (which is like out of 150 or something crazy like that), I know I did well. I haven't seen many A+s in my undergrad career so I am feeling pretty good about myself. I am also positive I A+ed my English midterm.

I will likely get my application sent off a couple of days before the deadline. I am not complaining. In the meantime, I get to make another trip to the clinic I just started volunteering at. I do not have much to write down under duties and experiences, so hopefully I see/do something tomorrow that I can add to my application. Volunteering is another rave. The staff is easy-going and fun to talk to. The vets are always calling ME over to help them or to watch what they are doing. They are also great at explaining things to me. They are also discussing having me take over the maintenance of the aquarium in the waiting room (fishkeeping used to be a hobby of mine)

While we are waiting for interview invites, we can just rave. I am not convinced I will get one this year, but I think I have set myself up for something next year. :luck:.
 
Hi future AVC students! This is my second year applying from NS. I did get to the interview last year, but I think nerves got the best of me and I did not do as well as I had hoped.

I am rewriting the GRE in the next few weeks. Just wondering if there are people who have written the revised exam and what they thought of it? Did you find it easier than the old one?


Thanks 🙂
 
Hi future AVC students! This is my second year applying from NS. I did get to the interview last year, but I think nerves got the best of me and I did not do as well as I had hoped.

I am rewriting the GRE in the next few weeks. Just wondering if there are people who have written the revised exam and what they thought of it? Did you find it easier than the old one?

Thanks 🙂

Hi, welcome! I wrote the revised GRE back in August. I found it easier than the old GRE (I wrote that one back in September 2008). The ability to go back to questions within a session really helped me. I spent more time studying the math and trying to improve my writing, which also helped. Analytical writing was still a struggle for me but as long as you write a few timed practice essays beforehand and really watch your time it is not that bad.

Overall, the revised test was a much better experience for me.
 
Silly question, can I pay the application fee with a cheque included in my submission package?
 
Yes to Ky.

And hi Golden Lover! I'm planning a re-write for early January I think. The new GRE seems longer than the old (it is 6 sections of quant and verbal compared to 2).

Edited to add:
At the vet clinic I started volunteering at, I have been doing some "receptionist jobs". Unfortunately, not answering phones (except to put clients on hold) or booking appointments. More like, shredding documents, shredding paper and inactivating files. I did this for a few hours yesterday. Should I think about including it on my application? I already have something like "Assisted receptionists by preparing letters for clients" (or something like that). Does anyone think I should expand it, get rid of it or change it completely?

I told the rehabilitation center that I could not be a weekly volunteer. I did offer to help with things like fundraising (which I won't have to be there on a weekly basis for but could still do) and they still asked me to attend the orientation/volunteer information session today. I have 9/10 spots filled for the animal/veterinary experience slots. I was wondering it it is worth putting those 2 hours down under Animal Experience to show AVC that I at least have an interest in it, although I do not know how many hours I will accumulate between this application cycle and next. I am sure we will be getting a tour and an overview of how they run. Also, there is a possibility of me gaining actual veterinary experience in that field for next cycle.
I have toured a zoo/wildlife rehabilitation center with a vet in a different country, so I do have that on my application, even though it was technically only a few hours (still very cool though!)

Opinions are welcome. 🙂
 
Last edited:
It wouldn't hurt to put it on the application. They might disregard it but I doubt they would take away points for including it.
 
My transcripts arrived and my application will likely get in the mail tomorrow.
Debating whether to add my wildlife experience or not... I think I should mention that I might be helping with educational talks this year. Hopefully that does not fall through because I am really looking forward to it.

Good luck everybody. :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

There is a parasitology conference in December (ACAP) in Picto. Is anyone planning on attending? Likely not, but I thought I would throw that out there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The deed was done this morning, my application is on its way to UPEI! I was a little emotional but the postal clerks were very kind to me.

Sorry Trematode, I will not be attending the parasite conference. It sounds interesting though, way more interesting than most psych ones I've been to.
 
Mine went in the mail this evening. I apologized to the clerk for my analness/anality 🙄 when I asked her to stamp the envelope in front of me. She too was very nice.
 
I just put mine in the regular mailbox. 😕.
It is going in the mail today. I was reading over it yesterday and found one teeny tiny mistake.
I had a dream last night that my GRE re-take gave me a 800 combined and a 3.0 analyical writing but I was talking to a talking toad at the time. I hope they do not take THAT many points away from me!
 
Last edited:
I was neurotic, so mine went to the post office. I was like LabRat - I wanted to see someone take it and stamp it. You're just less neurotic than us, Trematode. :laugh:

I think I win the prize for most neurotic. I expressed mailed mine so I could get a tracking number to ensure that it actually made it and didn't get lost :laugh:
 
Urgh. I think there may be a small typo on my application. I read it and re-read it in Office. Then when I was reading it before putting in the mail box, I swear I saw the word "proceedures" and I wondered if that was right. It did not show up as incorrect in Office and then I forgot about it... until I typed "proceedures" into my phone and it wanted to autocorrect it. :smack:.
 
Urgh. I think there may be a small typo on my application. I read it and re-read it in Office. Then when I was reading it before putting in the mail box, I swear I saw the word "proceedures" and I wondered if that was right. It did not show up as incorrect in Office and then I forgot about it... until I typed "proceedures" into my phone and it wanted to autocorrect it. :smack:.

Try not to stress too much about it 🙂. It is sent and there is nothing you can do it about. It is just a minor error. I'm not even going to look at my application because I will just pick it apart and worry.
 
I hope the application is looked at like the GRE and they are not going to reject me because of an extra "e". I think it was waaaay down in my extra curriculars. They will probably be tired of reading it by then and not even notice. :laugh:.

My raves: 89.5 on one midterm, 86 on the other. I am well on my way to turning those 83s into 87s. 😀. It also looks like I will be turning my 73 in English into an 83 at least. I can do better though. It feels great to be doing great. In undergrad, there always seemed to be one course each semester that kicked my butt. 🙄.

Edited to add: I thought Animal Developmental Biology would be the death of me. But we got to create a window in a fertilized chicken egg and watch it develop. SOO COOL. After 80 hours, you can see the blood being pumped around the embryo.
 
Last edited:
My raves: 89.5 on one midterm, 86 on the other. I am well on my way to turning those 83s into 87s. 😀. It also looks like I will be turning my 73 in English into an 83 at least. I can do better though. It feels great to be doing great. In undergrad, there always seemed to be one course each semester that kicked my butt. 🙄

Awesome marks 👍

Here is my little rave: 90 on my organic chem midterm! 😱 😀

Edit: My GRE scores have been posted. Going by percentiles I improved my verbal and quant slightly (8 and 7%) and drastically improved my writing (there was really nowhere to go but up on that one). Definitely worth writing it a second time, feel much better about my scores 🙂
 
Last edited:
A 90 is awesome! I wonder if you have the same prof that one of my classmates has... she does not like him at all lol. I have him next semester!

Just registered for the GRE. Writing it on January 3rd, before the first day of classes. Because my classes are from 1-5:30 Tues., Wed., and Thurs., that is the only time I can write it. If I write it at 9:30, I risk being late for my 1:00 classes. Darn you ETS for having an inconvenient schedule. 🙄.
 
I think I do have that prof. I don't find him too terrible. He is a little scattered and goes off on tangents sometimes. Not the best prof I have ever had but very far from the worst. It is difficult to stay awake when he gets excited about some equation and talks about it for 15 minutes, though haha.
 
I received an e-mail from Jack this afternoon; application received and I meet all the criteria. I am officially in the running for a spot in the Class of 2016 🙂!

I seriously have no idea how I'm going to make it to March. It has been 4 days since applications were due and already people are asking if I've heard anything. It has been 4 days people, I won't hear about an interview for freaking 4 months! I should have applied in secret.
 
I still have not gotten an email and my application went out on the 29th.
Edited to add: My GRE scores are the pits. Slightly improved verbal, did the same on quant and did worse on writing. *groan*. I need a miracle the next time I write it.
 
Last edited:
I still have not gotten an email and my application went out on the 29th.
Edited to add: My GRE scores are the pits. Slightly improved verbal, did the same on quant and did worse on writing. *groan*. I need a miracle the next time I write it.

I sent mine on the 26th via express post, it arrived on the 27th, so i wouldn't worry about not receiving an email yet.

I'm sure you will kill the GRE next time! Now that you have an idea of what the new format is like you will be better prepared and will get awesome marks. You are smart and capable, you don't need a miracle 🙂
 
Last edited:
I called UPEI and was told they received it on November 1st. 😀
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will try my best 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I seemed to have hit a proverbial brick wall. My motivation is pretty much gone and I'm starting to feel dejected. I hope it is just the end of semester stress.

I think a lot of this is coming from submitting the application. I feel like it is all done and there is nothing I can do. I know that I need to keep my grades up and get more experience (for next cycle, if it comes to that) but I'm finding it difficult to stay on track. Another part of it is my family and friends. They mean well but I'm really tired of hearing either "Oh why are you worrying, you will definitely get in" or "Why don't you have a back up plan yet, crazy? You should have a back up plan, hardly anyone ever gets in on the first try".

Anyone else have this motivation problem?
 
I kind of know how you feel Ky. I have been slacking lately too. Then again, I only have 3 courses right now. I have an optional essay due Friday and I am still contemplating whether it is is worth my time to turn the A I got on my last essay into an A+. I also have a presentation on heartworm which I am slowly chugging away at.

I feel like it is all done and there is nothing I can do. I know that I need to keep my grades up and get more experience (for next cycle, if it comes to that) but I'm finding it difficult to stay on track.
Keeping your grades up and getting more experience IS doing something. Even before I got my rejection, I realized that the only way I am going to beat this is if I continue to work hard in my courses and keep trying to get experience. Submitting your application does not mean your fate is set in stone. If chosen for an interview, your second semester grades and experience plays a huge role in who gets accepted, who gets waitlisted and who gets rejected. Your second semester marks also play a huge role if you have to apply next year.

It is nearing the end of the semester, so a lazy period is the norm for a lot of people (just look at the slackers thread 🙂).

If you find yourself still feeling lazy come exam time, ask your classmates if they want to study with you. I tend to be more productive when I am working with other people compared to working by myself (I tend to do better as well).

As for the parent thing, I experienced something similar. When I first applied, my parents were convinced that I would get in. They kept asking me when I will hear back and got a little testy with me when I tried to talk to them about back-up plans. A woman who lives on my street has twins that both could not get into vet school after earning their degrees. After my mom talked to her, my mom's attitude changed and she became a lot more supportive and helpful. I agree, their ignorance can be annoying at times and it is really hard to smile and agree. They love you and want what is best for you.

If I do not get accepted, I am 75% confident that I am going to move to PEI and gain residency (wink wink hint hint, I will likely need roomates. I'm quiet and clean!). I was telling a friend about my plans and he could not believe how persistent and hardworking I am. That made me feel really good about myself.

I seem to have rambled on for a bit there. Hang in there Ky (and everyone else who feels the same way). If you ever want to get a coffee during one of your slacker periods, I am here. 🙂.
 
It is nearing the end of the semester, so a lazy period is the norm for a lot of people (just look at the slackers thread 🙂)

I think I was one of the first people to post a reply on that thread :laugh:.

Thanks for the encouragement Trematode, it was much needed!

I got another boost from my cats' vet today when I took them in for their yearly checkups. She told me to hang in there and to keep working. She is going to try to fit me in more at the clinic, which is very nice of her. She is a wonderful person and a fantastic vet. One of my cats didn't want to leave the clinic, she loves it there haha.

My boyfriend is hoping to get a job in PEI, so I may be moving there regardless. I'll send a roommate application as soon as we find a place haha.
 
Hey all.
I have a question! I am currently registered for Astronomy for science students. I heard that it is very mathy, so I am a little worried. I knew a vet who took Astronomy for AVC. She loved it and did very well, which makes me think she may have taken a simplier class. Does anyone know off hand if Astronomy for arts students would count?
 
I can't say for sure, but I know for the math requirement, it had to be something that would count toward a BSc. There was a Math for the Liberal Arts or something, and it only counted toward a BA, so AVC wouldn't count it. Maybe the same for Astronomy?