-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
AVC c/o 2016 Hopefuls
Started by Lab Rat83
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hi everyone, just thought I'd share that I didn't get into AVC this year 🙁 (I got my letter this morning). But good luck to those of you still waiting!!! I think you'll have a great class this year.
Are you Canadian, Kr? Nova Scotian?
Congrats, ky!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it bad that I rushed home at lunch time to check this thread? 😳
ETA: For any SDNers that get in, I have books that I'm more than happy to part with. PM me if you're interested!
ETA: For any SDNers that get in, I have books that I'm more than happy to part with. PM me if you're interested!
Last edited:
Hello everyone! I've also been following this thread lately. It's so nice to hear about everyones experiences with the application process as I can truly relate to most. Such as, the crazy waiting game (also I'm from NB, so I don't think they have reached us yet), to the crazy dreams about being in vet school classes, etc. I REALLY hope that the letter comes tomorrow. I don't think my boyfriend will put up with any more of my anxious frets.
Today I had a delivery notice on my door, my heart dropped thinking oh wow its here! Finally! So I raced down to the superstore to pick it up, I had it in my hands thinking this is it... turns out it was my passport that I had renewed... le sigh.
Good luck to the rest of you! 🙂
Today I had a delivery notice on my door, my heart dropped thinking oh wow its here! Finally! So I raced down to the superstore to pick it up, I had it in my hands thinking this is it... turns out it was my passport that I had renewed... le sigh.
Good luck to the rest of you! 🙂
Regarding the blue coat ceremony, is it common for students to have certain people coat them or do they usually just have faculty do it? any hints on how to pick a coat size?
also, how do we know what books we're going to need? do we get a list at some point?
CONGRATS, KY!!!!
also, how do we know what books we're going to need? do we get a list at some point?
CONGRATS, KY!!!!
Blue coat: Yes, most people had someone come to the ceremony. Parent, friend, veterinarian, significant other, etc. If you have someone willing and able to make the trip, it's a nice way to recognize someone's who has been a source of support for you. Only a few people from our class opted for faculty members instead. Size is more or less your chest measurement in inches. I think they only do even sizes, (32, 34, 36, etc) but I could be wrong.
Books: I don't think you ever get a list. Each professor will tell you on the first day what you need, but very few classes have required textbooks. The only one that's necessary is anatomy, which is the Evans and Delahunta Guide to the Dissection of the Dog. Second years will probably be offering theirs for sale on Facebook soon. I bought a few books in addition to that. I got Veterinary Immunology: Principles and Practices (I liked this book, I'm alone in that, most people didn't), and Veterinary Physiology (because physiology wasn't my best subject). I also referred to my undergraduate histology book for first semester histo. For all your classes but anatomy, the notes the professors give are usually sufficient. If you do require books, they're usually on reserve at the library or the AVC resource room, so you can flip through those if you want before you shell out money for them.
Books: I don't think you ever get a list. Each professor will tell you on the first day what you need, but very few classes have required textbooks. The only one that's necessary is anatomy, which is the Evans and Delahunta Guide to the Dissection of the Dog. Second years will probably be offering theirs for sale on Facebook soon. I bought a few books in addition to that. I got Veterinary Immunology: Principles and Practices (I liked this book, I'm alone in that, most people didn't), and Veterinary Physiology (because physiology wasn't my best subject). I also referred to my undergraduate histology book for first semester histo. For all your classes but anatomy, the notes the professors give are usually sufficient. If you do require books, they're usually on reserve at the library or the AVC resource room, so you can flip through those if you want before you shell out money for them.
Coquette, you forgot the Saunders Veterinary Dictionary! Structure and Function would suck without that one.
I think you're right that the coats are even sizes only.
Hope everyone still waiting hears soon!
I think you're right that the coats are even sizes only.
Hope everyone still waiting hears soon!
Oh, bugger, yes, Saunders too. I think I forgot about it because I only ever used it during S&F exams. During actual class time I just googled stuff. 

Wait listed.
🙁 I hope someone from NB defers, I want us to be classmates!
🙁 I hope someone from NB defers, I want us to be classmates!
Thanks Ky 🙂 It goes without saying that I hope so too!
Thanks Ky 🙂 It goes without saying that I hope so too!
🙁 Fingers (and toes) crossed!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I'm from NB and still waiting. This wait is becoming unbearable. 😛
Thanks everyone 🙂
Good luck to you Ellie. Hopefully at least one of us get to be a waitlist survivor, or even better; both of us 😀
Now, is it a waitlist or wait list? I struggled with that when I first made my post and then I edited it and now I'm just confused.
Good luck to you Ellie. Hopefully at least one of us get to be a waitlist survivor, or even better; both of us 😀
Now, is it a waitlist or wait list? I struggled with that when I first made my post and then I edited it and now I'm just confused.
Thanks everyone 🙂
Good luck to you Ellie. Hopefully at least one of us get to be a waitlist survivor, or even better; both of us 😀
Now, is it a waitlist or wait list? I struggled with that when I first made my post and then I edited it and now I'm just confused.
Thanks Lab Rat, I will keep my fingers crossed for the both of us! I posted my last post really quickly and didn't even stop to think.. we could just call it "the alternate list" like they did in our letters 😛
I always thought of it as the "Because We Don't Think You've Waited Long Enough" List.
Im thinking about getting my rabies vaccinations at the school. Is anyone else doing the same? Has any past students had them done at the school as well? Is there any problem with handling the animals until you receive the shots?
Im thinking about getting my rabies vaccinations at the school. Is anyone else doing the same? Has any past students had them done at the school as well? Is there any problem with handling the animals until you receive the shots?
Almost everyone had theirs done at the school last year. There were only a few who didn't, and they were people who had needed a rabies vax for a previous job. And no, there's no problem with any animal handling until you get it, since they know most people won't be vaccinated until February.
I got in! Goodluck to everyone else and their letters! 🙂
Congrats Kristen! 🙂 Still wishing for the rest of you! Too many waitlisters in here, not enough acceptances. 
Ashuri: So sorry. Best of luck next year though! Hope you stick around the forums!

Ashuri: So sorry. Best of luck next year though! Hope you stick around the forums!
Last edited:
Got wind that a David's Tea is opening in Charlottetown. Might apply.
If I end up in Charlottetown, I might need a roommate (wink, wink, hint hint, I am quiet and clean!)
Just curious... how much do apartments run in the area? Will I be able to afford a bachelor/single on a minimum wage job? 'Cause in Halifax, that's tough.
If I end up in Charlottetown, I might need a roommate (wink, wink, hint hint, I am quiet and clean!)
Just curious... how much do apartments run in the area? Will I be able to afford a bachelor/single on a minimum wage job? 'Cause in Halifax, that's tough.
It's not as cheap as you'd think. And since you don't drive, you'll need to be close to wherever you work (no public transit on Sundays and holidays). Your best bet is to check prices on Kijiji or UsedPEI. Roommates bring the cost down considerably, because there's a lot of 2/3 bedrooms. I've seen 1 bedrooms go from $500-$850 depending on where it is, how new the building is, etc. I have a 1 bed lined up for $650 all utilities included, which I'm pretty happy with, but it's a private residence (basement of a split level). I'm told to avoid Bevan properties, which sucks, because they own a lot of buildings.
It's hard to guage what you could afford on min wage, because it's really going to depend on how many hours you get and what your debt payments are. If you're consistently working 35-40 hours a week, it should be fine. If you're only getting 10-20 hours a week, it could be pretty tight.
It's hard to guage what you could afford on min wage, because it's really going to depend on how many hours you get and what your debt payments are. If you're consistently working 35-40 hours a week, it should be fine. If you're only getting 10-20 hours a week, it could be pretty tight.
Thank you, Coquette 😀
My attitude towards roommates has changed recently. The roommate I have right now is pretty good. I am more open-minded to sharing space with people who are similar to me.
I am trying to get my ducks in a row for the fall and have started to look for employment in all 3 maritime provinces + the prairies. I have a feeling I will end up in Halifax and upgrade the following year or go through with a Masters program. I just cannot give up the dream just yet.
My attitude towards roommates has changed recently. The roommate I have right now is pretty good. I am more open-minded to sharing space with people who are similar to me.
I am trying to get my ducks in a row for the fall and have started to look for employment in all 3 maritime provinces + the prairies. I have a feeling I will end up in Halifax and upgrade the following year or go through with a Masters program. I just cannot give up the dream just yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel the same way about roommates as well.
I'm living in Charlottetown right now (with a roommate who hopefully will work out better than the last ones). I just graduated with a bachelor degree in biology and I wasn't accepted into the AVC this year. It's been rather overwhelming trying to make decision and figure out what I am going to do this year.
I was planning on doing an internship at a zoo in Belize but alas, I cannot yet afford the rabies shot (at $600) and there is a shortage of the vaccine right now (at least in Charlottetown). I feel at a loss on how to improve my application now without that internship....
If any of you have any suggestions I will be very glad to take them to heart. I definitely will be looking for work after my summer research position is up (in September) but the most important thing to me is the enhancement of my application.
I know both my animal and extra curricular experience were below average. I reviewed my application recently and I can see why. Just before I passed the application I found a volunteering position at a dairy farm and a pig farm just outside of town. I'm not really sure if they are good experience or not... but it's really all I have right now. I definitely want to keep at them, but arranging drives there and back is a huge hassle. It would be great to hear if they are worth all the trouble or not. It is a bit discouraging to have no one to talk to about things like this.
I'm living in Charlottetown right now (with a roommate who hopefully will work out better than the last ones). I just graduated with a bachelor degree in biology and I wasn't accepted into the AVC this year. It's been rather overwhelming trying to make decision and figure out what I am going to do this year.
I was planning on doing an internship at a zoo in Belize but alas, I cannot yet afford the rabies shot (at $600) and there is a shortage of the vaccine right now (at least in Charlottetown). I feel at a loss on how to improve my application now without that internship....
If any of you have any suggestions I will be very glad to take them to heart. I definitely will be looking for work after my summer research position is up (in September) but the most important thing to me is the enhancement of my application.
I know both my animal and extra curricular experience were below average. I reviewed my application recently and I can see why. Just before I passed the application I found a volunteering position at a dairy farm and a pig farm just outside of town. I'm not really sure if they are good experience or not... but it's really all I have right now. I definitely want to keep at them, but arranging drives there and back is a huge hassle. It would be great to hear if they are worth all the trouble or not. It is a bit discouraging to have no one to talk to about things like this.
Definitely worth the hassle! I was dinged for not enough extra-curriculars as well, so go after those opportunities! And remember, extra-curriculars that aren't animal related are needed too (this was where I lost points). Churches, children's groups, charities, etc.
The last vet I volunteered for used to be on the selection committee for interviews. She told me that farm experience looks very good and recommended that I get it if I didn't have any already. Even if it is just animal experience, not veterinary, it's going to improve your application according to what this vet said.
I am in the same, yet opposite boat that you are in. My animal experience and extra curriculars are great (except for the fact that my vet hours are expiring faster than I can gain more), but my grades are the pits. I need to work this year. I'm still in limbo as to what to do after that. I'm thinking a Masters degree while updating expired courses.
I am in the same, yet opposite boat that you are in. My animal experience and extra curriculars are great (except for the fact that my vet hours are expiring faster than I can gain more), but my grades are the pits. I need to work this year. I'm still in limbo as to what to do after that. I'm thinking a Masters degree while updating expired courses.
If you like working with children, try Girl Guides. They are desperate for leaders. I don't drive and they found me a unit within walking distance my first year and a drive when I signed up in a different area. It's a lot of work, but it is an easy way to gain hours. It is a very rewarding experience... and a little stressful, hehe.
Girl guides is a very good idea. I actually know someone my age who is a leader but I had forgotten about it. I'll talk to her about it and get involved with that. I don't drive either, but there should be a unit in town. Thankfully I can handle some stress, I'm certainly used to stressful situations after my honours project haha
I also want to start volunteering at the blood donor clinic, its very easy for me to get to.
Thank you so much for the encouragement about my farm work. I really like working there, and I love the dairy cows. It's good to know all my work means something :]
I also want to start volunteering at the blood donor clinic, its very easy for me to get to.
Thank you so much for the encouragement about my farm work. I really like working there, and I love the dairy cows. It's good to know all my work means something :]
Two more crazy suggestions:
I league bowled (up until they tore the alley down 🙄). I bowled in a mixed league, which had people with all sorts of skill levels. I bowled once a week and participated in tournaments when I was still in the youth league. It was really fun and a great way to meet new people.
Also, you can look into a naturalist club or society. The two societies I know of have monthly meetings. They also advertise other stuff going on like workshops, hikes, etc.
I included everything I could: biology society, committee formed to save an old theatre from being torn down, all of my jobs, yearbook editor (I did that in grade 12, so I was able to include that on my app up until it became 5 years old), and animal handling in courses I have taken.
I league bowled (up until they tore the alley down 🙄). I bowled in a mixed league, which had people with all sorts of skill levels. I bowled once a week and participated in tournaments when I was still in the youth league. It was really fun and a great way to meet new people.
Also, you can look into a naturalist club or society. The two societies I know of have monthly meetings. They also advertise other stuff going on like workshops, hikes, etc.
I included everything I could: biology society, committee formed to save an old theatre from being torn down, all of my jobs, yearbook editor (I did that in grade 12, so I was able to include that on my app up until it became 5 years old), and animal handling in courses I have taken.