AVC c/o 2016 Hopefuls

Started by Lab Rat83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

i mailed my deposit today! 😱 fingers crossed for the rest of you :xf:

I want to be your classmate too!

In other news: I have my mock interview at NSAC on Monday. I don't know what to expect and I'm afraid to come across as a total idiot! I've started preparing for my interview but no where near ready for my real interview on May 22nd.
 
Is that who you are?! It's been driving me nuts! :laugh: Since like September!

Should have guessed with her username! :smack:
Lwoodsi, in regards to the job, it's a bit trickier. My friend just talked to international student helper people in regards to her SO coming here and getting a job. He'd need a work permit, and to get a work permit he needs to have a place vouch that they aren't able to hire anyone else within the country first. If you want to know more, I can put you in contact with my friend and you can go from there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks, guys! i hope we all get to be classmates too!

that redhead - crap 🙁 if he can't find a job, i'm screwed! i'm hoping his being an LVT will help though I have no idea if there are already an abundance of them in the area. we're not being picky with his applications though - he's applying for pretty much anything, so i'm hoping that helps. if you could put me in contact with your friend, i would certainly appreciate it - i need all the advice/help i can get!

by the way, does anyone know what's up with the facebook group for AVC 2016? i tried joining but no one ever approved/denied the request.
 
Last edited:
I was declined at this time. They'll contact me if they end up needing more people to interview....bummer.

Good luck to the rest of you!!!!!
 
Thanks, I had mentally prepared myself for it this year. I think I'll be a stronger candidate next year.

Has anyone else heard? Hopefully good news?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I had an interview on May 2nd and am wondering if any other interviewees would like to chat? I kind of feel like I just wrote a test and have no other peers to discuss it with! Good luck to those of you with upcoming interviews 🙂.
 
So I emailed Sharon asking if the class was full of international students or if the international waitlist will still move and she wrote make nothing has changed to date.....does anyone know what that means? 😕
 
I think they are still interviewing people, so it'll be a bit longer before final decisions are made. And people probably have a little time to decline or accept the offer, and then based on that they will know if they need to invite more people for interview. I think.

But Im no expert 😛
 
Hi everyone! I had an interview on May 2nd and am wondering if any other interviewees would like to chat? I kind of feel like I just wrote a test and have no other peers to discuss it with! Good luck to those of you with upcoming interviews 🙂.

I interview May 22nd! How'd yours go? I feel pretty well prepared. I had my mock interview at the NSAC which had gone very well. There's a few more questions I'm trying to work out good answers for but other that I'm ready.

It's going to be a loooong wait!
 
That's great! I'm sure you will do well 🙂. I can't really describe how I feel about the interview without giving anything away, but I would love to chat with you after the 22nd!
 
holy crap, it is impossible to get an apartment in the charlottetown area! classes are gonna start and i'm gonna have nowhere to live!

on another note, good luck to those of you interviewing soon 🙂
 
There's plenty of apartments in Charlottetown, just chill. Have you talked to the 2016 housing coordinator yet? Are you on the facebook page?
Sure there's plenty of apartments, but most of them are out of my price range. I also have a cat which is complicating things. There's also the fact that since I'm from the US, I can't actually see the apartment or meet with the landlord before signing the lease. I've tried calling several places & the landlords a) don't get back to me b)when I call them back, tell me the apartment has already been rented - which is only like, 2 days after the apartment was initially listed. so either apartments get scooped up SUPER fast or....they just dont want to rent to me? <--- me being paranoid. and yeah, I just checked the facebook page and I didn't see anything that would work, unfortunately...but i will keep looking 🙂
 
does anyone know how strict they are about the 'post-man blue coveralls'? I already have a pair that are more like a robins egg blue and it's really hard to find coveralls that fit me.
 
does anyone know how strict they are about the 'post-man blue coveralls'? I already have a pair that are more like a robins egg blue and it's really hard to find coveralls that fit me.

Not super strict. Most of ours are varying shades of blue. The really important thing is that they're more or less blue, because the doctors wear green, so it's an easy way to determine student vs vet. Same thing with scrubs. Scrubs especially aren't a huge deal in terms of colour your first year, since you really only wear them in anatomy lab. Most of them were various blues last year, but there were also black, pink, white, frogs, peace signs, flowers...

(And I will reiterate "relax" in terms of housing. 😉 No one has gone homeless yet, including Americans with cats, so you will be okay (though I can sympathize, as I'm also someone that likes to have things nailed down and tied up).)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard of any international students getting in off the waitlist yet? Everyone says there is a lot of movement but I havent heard of anyone getting in off the waitlist yet...😕
 
Thank you Ky! Good luck to you as well.

You're kind of lucky. You have less of a wait between interviews and notifications. This leg is by far the worse! I would have gone crazy if I interviewed in April.
 
Last edited:
I had no idea this forum existed. It seems really encouraging. I am currently waiting to interview on June 8th. Hope it goes well. Fingers crossed I will get to meet some of you next year! :xf:

Is everyone else finding their interviews are going okay? I am so nervous.
 
My parents were asking me if I plan on re-applying in the fall.
I have an 80.8 average. It is not going to change at all next year because I will not be going back to school. I am planning on doing a GRE re-write if I decide to reapply. But is it even worth it with my current residency status?

It still makes me sick to my stomach that students with similar stats have gotten interviews because they have residency elsewhere. I really think that it is unfair. If they are going to reject me because of my stats, they should be rejecting everyone with the same stats, regardless of where they are from. That was not said to offend people who have stats the same/lower than mine. I really am happy for everyone who is granted an interview, especially those on here and who I have met. You all really deserve it. It is just the politics of it all... it makes me want to punch a wall.
 
Welcome cojic! I thought waiting until June 1st was bad but June 8th would be near torture (it is also my birthday so that would have sucked).

Down to the home stretch; this time 5 days from now the interview will be over! Starting to get a little anxious but mostly just want this application cycle over with so I can move on with my life one way or another.

Trematode, do some of your vet hours and prereqs expire after this year (or have they already expired)? It might be worthwhile taking a year to work then retake the expired classes the following year. Getting residency in another province is always an option as long as there is a job for you there. If I were you I would retake the GRE before October; if your scores are great then I would reapply this year. If they are not great I would take the year off to work then retake expired courses if you can. It sucks having to wait a couple more years but you would only be 25 or 26 then, right?

I feel your frustration and I'm not sure how to help except to say I think once you get in you will be a great vet.
 
Trematode, do some of your vet hours and prereqs expire after this year (or have they already expired)? It might be worthwhile taking a year to work then retake the expired classes the following year. Getting residency in another province is always an option as long as there is a job for you there. If I were you I would retake the GRE before October; if your scores are great then I would reapply this year. If they are not great I would take the year off to work then retake expired courses if you can. It sucks having to wait a couple more years but you would only be 25 or 26 then, right?

My courses start to expire in 2013. That is one of the reasons why I am taking a year off. It makes no sense for me to go back to school this year and try, once again, to improve my marks when I can go back in 2013 to re-take the classes.

I am still debating whether to move and get residency. But... getting a job that is not fast food or retail in NB or PEI is difficult. I spent two months looking and applied to a couple of places before landing my current job here in NS. I heard nothing back from the places I applied to.

My current boss told one of my references that they might keep me on for the fall if they get the funding. I am making $14/hour and my job is related to my degree. I would hate to give that up for a minimum wage job in a different province. If my job ends by the application date, I am certainly going to look into moving!

So...
My plan...

Take 2012/2013 off to pay off some of my debt.
Possibly upgrade in 2013/2014 because my courses are starting to expire.
I am also thinking of doing a Masters degree in 2013. I will be looking into that this year. 😀.
 
It still makes me sick to my stomach that students with similar stats have gotten interviews because they have residency elsewhere. I really think that it is unfair. If they are going to reject me because of my stats, they should be rejecting everyone with the same stats, regardless of where they are from. That was not said to offend people who have stats the same/lower than mine. I really am happy for everyone who is granted an interview, especially those on here and who I have met. You all really deserve it. It is just the politics of it all... it makes me want to punch a wall.

Sorry Trem, but this is really getting old. Since, I know these comments are directed to the fact that I was offered an interview and you weren't, I feel the duty to respond.

This thread was made so that potential AVC'ers can positively contribute and support one another. Your constant whining is doing the exact opposite. Do you know that if I were a PEI resident last year, I would have gotten an interview? Did I ever once whine or complain about it? No, because I'm genuinely happy for those who did. I can't change the application process and neither can you. If you don't like it stop applying or at least pretend to be supportive.

So, lay off the "if onlys" and if you can't contribute positively then don't contribute. That attitude will keep you out of vet school even if you do get an interview.

There. I said my piece and won't say anything about this matter again. I'm not one to argue with someone on a public forum but I'm not about to feel bad about my interview invite or have it constantly be suggested that I don't deserve it.
 
Congrats Cojic! Good luck with your interview! You're kind of lucky yours is later. Less waiting for final decisions 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry Trem, but this is really getting old. Since, I know these comments are directed to the fact that I was offered an interview and you weren't, I feel the duty to respond.

This thread was made so that potential AVC'ers can positively contribute and support one another. Your constant whining is doing the exact opposite. Do you know that if I were a PEI resident last year, I would have gotten an interview? Did I ever once whine or complain about it? No, because I'm genuinely happy for those who did. I can't change the application process and neither can you. If you don't like it stop applying or at least pretend to be supportive.

So, lay off the "if onlys" and if you can't contribute positively then don't contribute. That attitude will keep you out of vet school even if you do get an interview.

There. I said my piece and won't say anything about this matter again. I'm not one to argue with someone on a public forum but I'm not about to feel bad about my interview invite or have it constantly be suggested that I don't deserve it.

This is coming from someone who freaked-out that their average went down 0.5? And what did I do? I supported you. Told you to keep your fingers crossed and not to let it get you down. And you are biting my head off because I am going through the same thing that you did last application cycle?

Yeah, alright, take ALL OF THAT and automatically assume that I am jealous of you and everyone who "is worse than me" because they got an interview and I did not. If you want to make that leap and put yourself down for it, I am not going to stop you. You might as well just come out in say "Trema, you suck at school and you suck at life. Do us a favor and never apply again." (I am actually surprised that no one has come out and said that given my grades/financial situation/residency/back-luck.) On other threads, nobody has any problem saying "Your grades are too low. Do not even bother applying."

If there were others in my situation on this thread, I bet they would be saying/thinking similar thoughts and you would hear about it more. But I am a rarity and obviously oblivious to the secret rule where people in my situation are not allowed to discuss, ask questions or ask for advice on this super-secret-positive-100%-of-the-time-thread-of-awesome. Perhaps someone should have told me that my "negative" attitude belongs on the Rant Here thead before getting after me (although my thoughts towards the application process have gone from completely negative between my last two rejections to neutral/realistic).

I am actually at the point in my life where it is no longer "vet school or bust" so not getting an interview will not break me. In the time I have spent trying to get in, I have worked myself to the bone to get experience in the research side of things and have reached the point where I do not need to worry if I would make a good MSc candidate or not.

I was just wondering if it is even worth my time/money/effort on applying next year when I know there is a huge chance that I am going to get another rejection based on my residency. I am still waiting for a success story of someone from my province with a low-80s average who managed to wiggle in. I have yet to hear one. Right now, my situation seems like an impossibility so why bother applying this cycle?

PS: If this were really a positive thread, why didn't you private message when you found I was "being too negative" rather than confront me on here? I really do not appreciate what you just did. I prefer to settle confrontations like this in private. BTW, adding "I said my piece and won't say anything about this matter again. I'm not one to argue with someone on a public forum but I'm not about to feel bad about my interview invite or have it constantly be suggested that I don't deserve it." is not going to stop me from responding in public.

Back in the day, a boss once told me that I had a negative attitude. Instead of confronting me in front of all of my coworkers, she asked a supervisor to talk to me in private. That is the mature thing to do.
 
Last edited:
I haven't gone back and read this entire discussion. However, I would like to tell a story. I am not an Atlantic resident, right now anyway.

In 2005, I applied to WCVM from BC. At the time they had 15 seats available for BC residents. If I can recall, close to 90 people applied that year (just from BC). I ranked 70 something. The next year, I reapplied. Again, I had a low rank.

I have continued to apply, and this is my 7th application cycle.

In 2008, I moved to AB. Established residency, then in 2009 I went back to school. I upgraded some courses and took a full course load. I applied to UCVM and WCVM.

WCVM gave me an interview for the 2010 cycle (my 5th application). Yet, I knew I was still on the low end for grades.

For the 2011 cycle UCVM and WCVM offered me interviews. And still, I am on the low end for grades.

This cycle WCVM offered me an interview.

I am worried that yes again I am on the low end for grades.

Every school has a cut off for grades, but if you can improve your grades then you can be offered an interview. Once you get an interview and do really well at it, you can get accepted above others with better grades.


The one thing that I've learned as I age is that no matter the struggles you are faced with... If you don't like where you are, it's up to you to change it.

That being said, if you're grades aren't good enough. Change them.

One really good year with a high GPA may get you that interview... Then if they believe that you are as good as you are, then you can get accepted.


Agreed on the private messaging... Since people like me are creeping on these forums too.


But try not to victimize yourself... Guaranteed there is someone else out there who has it worse than you. (and I don't mean myself).
 
Wow, 7 application cycles!
People like you are one of the reasons I have chosen not to give up.

I wonder if I can find out my rank. That would certainly give me some insight as to what my chances really are.

I apologize for the rant.
It is just that being accused of being negative all of the time and unknowingly making people feel like crap about themselves was overwhelming and upset me when I was not upset to begin with.

I also highly believe in 1) ignoring me if you don't like what I say or 2) PM-ing me. If I had received a PM, I would have apologized because making someone else feel like crap was not my intent. I do not appreciate being called-out on a public forum. It makes me feel like I am being bullied. I understand that emotions are high right now for all of you with interviews.

Right now, I am not upset about vet school. I have a plan. I have a great job. I have a new boyfriend who has been nothing but supportive. I have no reason to be jealous of those of you who landed interviews. Everyone has worked hard. I sort of wish that I worked harder. I certainly deserve this break.

I HATE using the word "worse". I hate saying that people are "worse" than me. I know people who are "better" than me (grade-wise/experience wise) but their actions demonstrate to me that they are not ideal candidates for vet school. Everyone is different. Just because someone has a lower average than me, does not make them worse, undeserving of an interview or undeserving of being a vet.
 
For discussion's sake... Trematode, you know I support you, so I'm not being argumentative here. You seem to be hung up on grades. I'm curious as to how you would revamp the admissions process. Just about all schools use grades to help rank students. Is it perfect? No. But they do need some way of figuring out who is going to be able to handle the academic rigours of vet school, and there's only so much funding for so many seats, so they have to draw the line somewhere. There is no crystal ball to tell them who the best candidates are. Like I said, not perfect - I have classmates who get 60s right now, but I know they'll be amazing veterinarians and I have classmates that get 90s that I think will be lousy, but I don't pretend to know a better way of ranking.