AVC C/O 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Coquette22 When do American applicants get their acceptances by usually?

~>American here interviewing on Feb 2nd<~

I interviewed at the beginning of March and heard back two weeks later (March 14th?) although I was offered early acceptance due to my academics. You can search past acceptances threads - people post what day they heard back.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all- I am heading to AVC on the 11th from NY for my interview. I understand interviews begin at 1230, after the tour and lunch. My flight leaves that evening at 6:53pm. Is this too risky? Thanks!

I'm not sure when you're going (first, second or third), but you should have enough time. Assuming you want to be at the airport 2 hours ahead, even if your interview is the last one, you won't be at the school until 5PM. I'd expect you to be out of there by 3PM at the absolute latest and the airport is pretty close to the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply, @Coquette22 . The 6:53pm flight is about $500 cheaper than leaving on Friday. I appreciate the input. Looking forward to touring AVC!!!

Well, my interview was postponed for tomorrow...looks like I'll be able to relax and get some sleep in since I couldn't sleep last night. Only slept for like 3 hours LOL. Too nervous:oops:

New SDNer here. Interviewed as an international applicant on 1/19 and got my interview offer yesterday! SUPER EXCITED.Good luck to everyone else interviewing :)

Haha oops! Totally wish I could time travel but in this case I made a typo. I interviewed 1/19 and got my acceptance letter emailed to me yesterday. Sorry for the confusion!

Haha oops! Totally wish I could time travel but in this case I made a typo. I interviewed 1/19 and got my acceptance letter emailed to me yesterday. Sorry for the confusion!

Congratulations! Let me know if you have any questions - I'm a fourth year student from the US :) (The offer is open ended for anyone with international student questions for AVC.)

@that redhead thanks a bunch! I was actually wondering on my tour about the living situation. My tour guide said she rents a room from a family, is this common? Or do students tend to live together?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there's students in just about every living situation. I lived with classmates the first year, but resigned myself to the fact that I just can't live with other humans and now it's just me and the cats. A classmate had a very good relationship with a host family (so much so that she posed with their dog for her grad photo). Some classmates live together, some live with students in other years, some live with non-vet-school spouses. I'd say the majority live by themselves+pets though.

Congratulations @RoriGirl23 !!! I am from Long Island, NY and I interview Feb 12 :) I'm so excited to see UPEI

@that redhead thanks a bunch! I was actually wondering on my tour about the living situation. My tour guide said she rents a room from a family, is this common? Or do students tend to live together?

Like Coquette said, it varies. I lived by myself all four years and it was exactly what I needed. I think living with classmates isn't the best idea, especially since at AVC class sizes are so small that you'd really feel like you saw them all the time. The best living with other students scenarios seems to be with people from different years. If you know yourself and know you'd do better without roommates, I think it's more than 100% worth the cost of living alone.

@dcuellar How goes it for the interview? Second snow day in a row... Could they accomodate you in any way? Winter was a bit late starting this year, but the last two weeks have been brutal. (So for internationals, just... prepare yourself to shovel a lot in the next four years. And maybe invest in snow shoes and a sled dog team....)

@Rachel L A girl who interviewed with me had a similar flight dilemma. She was able to ask to go first on the day of to make sure she caught her flight! Good luck with your interview and don't stress. Just be yourself!

@Coquette22 @that redhead thanks for the feedback! I'll have a lot to think about in that case

@dcuellar How goes it for the interview? Second snow day in a row... Could they accomodate you in any way? Winter was a bit late starting this year, but the last two weeks have been brutal. (So for internationals, just... prepare yourself to shovel a lot in the next four years. And maybe invest in snow shoes and a sled dog team....)
Yes they did! They were so nice. Although it was a snow day, they gave us a tour, lunch and interviewed us. Yes, they said it has been pretty bad these past two weeks. Friday afternoon was better, so it was nice to go out and explore a bit! It would have been awesome to have met you two!

RoriGirl23, I interviewed with you on January 19th and also got my acceptance last week!

Glad you made it :) Maybe I'll see you next fall!

Hey guys! I just interviewed today and had a fantastic experience at AVC! The interview was relaxed and I had the opportunity to chat with several students. The interviewers were SO nice, and one in particular (Dr. McKenna) was hilarious. Sharon King greeted us and said that early admissions offers are going to be sent out in about a week, and the rest will go out either the last week of February or first week of March. She also said that they re-rank applicants each week after their interviews and that the minimum score for an acceptance last year was 76, though I don't think we are allowed to know our overall rank/score anyways. Overall I had a such a great time and would be thrilled to attend AVC. Best of luck to everyone! I hope to see you in the fall :)

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just interviewed today and had a fantastic experience at AVC! The interview was relaxed and I had the opportunity to chat with several students. The interviewers were SO nice, and one in particular (Dr. McKenna) was hilarious. I am from San Francisco so he sang the Rice a Roni song when I entered the room. Sharon King greeted us and said that early admissions offers are going to be sent out in about a week, and the rest will go out either the last week of February or first week of March. She also said that they re-rank applicants each week after their interviews and that the minimum score for an acceptance last year was 76, though I don't think we are allowed to know our overall rank/score anyways. Overall I had a such a great time and would be thrilled to attend AVC. Best of luck to everyone! I hope to see you in the fall :)

Glad the amount of snow you saw didn't scare you off! :) Hope you get an acceptance!

Hey guys! I just interviewed today and had a fantastic experience at AVC! The interview was relaxed and I had the opportunity to chat with several students. The interviewers were SO nice, and one in particular (Dr. McKenna) was hilarious. I am from San Francisco so he sang the Rice a Roni song when I entered the room. Sharon King greeted us and said that early admissions offers are going to be sent out in about a week, and the rest will go out either the last week of February or first week of March. She also said that they re-rank applicants each week after their interviews and that the minimum score for an acceptance last year was 76, though I don't think we are allowed to know our overall rank/score anyways. Overall I had a such a great time and would be thrilled to attend AVC. Best of luck to everyone! I hope to see you in the fall :)

Oh Dr. McKenna...

***Happy Dance***
Got my acceptance letter on 2/12!

Just made the decision to accept my seat:) so hopefully I'll be seeing you guys in the fall!! And for reference I interviewed on February 6, and heard back on February 12! (I thought I wasn't going to hear back til mid March!)

Does anyone know anything about getting a visa for your significant other but unmarried? - sorry for the super weird question

I'm having such a hard time deciding if I want to go here. I loved the school, and the people, and the class size, and the town...the only thing that's hard to justify is the cost, since I also got into Mizzou (which lets students become in-state after year 1). Cost of living is also higher in PEI. Also, the inconvenience of moving internationally, especially with a cat.

Buttttt I loved the schoooool...

I'm having such a hard time deciding if I want to go here. I loved the school, and the people, and the class size, and the town...the only thing that's hard to justify is the cost, since I also got into Mizzou (which lets students become in-state after year 1). Cost of living is also higher in PEI. Also, the inconvenience of moving internationally, especially with a cat.

Buttttt I loved the schoooool...

While I'm thrilled that AVC and PEI made such a great impression on you, I would urge you strongly to consider Mizzou. I love AVC and its faculty and I believe we get a great education despite our small size, but when it comes to international students, I encourage them to only go if they have no other options or a huge trust fund. It's a lot of money and it will follow you for a long time; but ultimately it's a decision only you can make.

I'm in :D

Waitlisted at University of Illinois but planning for now on AVC. Would love to start talking to other accepted students and upper class students. Especially if I end up meeting someone to live with :p

Yay!:rofl:

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! I am a prospective accepted student as well. I interviewed in January. Even with some acceptances to US schools, AVC is still really high in my book!

Anyone know when Financial Aid awards get sent out for American prospective students?

WHAT another Mainer!? Where are you from and what university do you go to? I'm from Litchfield (near Augusta) but go to UVM in Vermont.

Does anyone know anything about getting a visa for your significant other but unmarried? - sorry for the super weird question

I would ask Sharon King to put you in contact with someone on campus. Long story short, it is an extremely difficult process, even for a spouse and the job options are very slim for non-Islanders.

Hey guys! I just interviewed today and had a fantastic experience at AVC! The interview was relaxed and I had the opportunity to chat with several students. The interviewers were SO nice, and one in particular (Dr. McKenna) was hilarious. Sharon King greeted us and said that early admissions offers are going to be sent out in about a week, and the rest will go out either the last week of February or first week of March. She also said that they re-rank applicants each week after their interviews and that the minimum score for an acceptance last year was 76, though I don't think we are allowed to know our overall rank/score anyways. Overall I had a such a great time and would be thrilled to attend AVC. Best of luck to everyone! I hope to see you in the fall :)

Does anyone know if the general admissions offers have been sent out yet, or are they coming later this week? Thanks!

Does anyone know if the general admissions offers have been sent out yet, or are they coming later this week? Thanks!
I just received my letter today and I guess they use snail mail! I was placed on the alternate list. I don't know if the school will let me know where I am at though... Since I was accepted at the states school I just wanted to know if I have high chance of getting in or not :( any idea?

Reactions: 1 users
WHAT another Mainer!? Where are you from and what university do you go to? I'm from Litchfield (near Augusta) but go to UVM in Vermont.
Lol! I'm from Hampden (outside Bangor), and went to North Carolina State University :)

Nice! One of my friends is currently a second year at AVC and is from Southern Maine. She loves the college and PEI :)

Has anyone gotten an acceptance this week? I haven't heard anything yet... And do acceptances come by email or snail mail? Thanks :)

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all the international and american acceptances! So exciting :)

Anyone know if they are using snail mail or email this year for domestic student interview offers?

I've heard the third week of March, I just wanna know if I should be stalking the mail lady or the refresh button of my email inbox.:p

Has anyone gotten an acceptance this week? I haven't heard anything yet... And do acceptances come by email or snail mail? Thanks :)
I'm in the same boat! Crossing my fingers for us!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat! Crossing my fingers for us!
^ Same as you guys!! My guess would be snail mail since Agisarang received one through mail?! If it IS snail mail however, maybe it depends on our location (I'm from the West Coast so that would definitely slow things down). Either that or maybe they're going down a list?! :shrug: