AVC C/O 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, congratulations to those that have gotten in so far!! Just wanted to throw out there that I have a room for rent beginning in June. $380/month everything included...heat...internet...etc. 3br 1.5 bath right across the street from school and 2 blocks from the grocery. Fenced in yard with a deck and a driveway. No cats allowed but other pets are negotiable, currently there is just one dog. Message me if you're interested!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Hope all has been well with you all this past week. :joyful: Has anyone who did not receive an early acceptance hear anything yet?? Would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any info at all :D Thank you!! :happy:

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Hope all has been well with you all this past week. :joyful: Has anyone who did not receive an early acceptance hear anything yet?? Would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any info at all :D Thank you!! :happy:
Hey! I received a letter stating that I was on the alternate list about a week and a half ago but I think it's just taking a while to get to the states! I am already in Canada but in the international pool so... Usually Canada post takes a while with snail mails so I think it should be there soon? :) I hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh awesome! In that case we should probably expect it to arrive by next week to late March! Thank you for the info @agisarang42 :") :xf: Hoping you get off the alternate list!! :highfive:

Pretty sure they still send snail mail to Atlantic Canada applicants. At least that's what they did last year.

Pretty sure they still send snail mail to Atlantic Canada applicants. At least that's what they did last year.
Thanks for the info :)

Hopefully the massive amounts of storm days this year won't slow down letters to domestic and US applicants!

Not yet! I believe the weather has slowed everything on the east coast down :(

My poor friend at AVC has been having classes until 8pm and on Saturdays to make up for lost time!

I got an interview! I didn't think this would actually happen!

Reactions: 1 users
Haha, thank-you! It's in May, so I'm hoping the snow will be gone by then...

... the snow has to end eventually right? (So blissfully unprepared for PEI winters)

I have a dumb etiquette question, is it proper to email or call to confirm the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
All it says is "please verify that you are able to attend the time above."

Then yes, I'd shoot off a quick email saying you can make it.

As for the snow... Snowshoes aren't a bad investment for anyone starting at AVC. (I'm not kidding.)

Then yes, I'd shoot off a quick email saying you can make it.

As for the snow... Snowshoes aren't a bad investment for anyone starting at AVC. (I'm not kidding.)

Another 10 cm last night... crazy. It's April 7th! I would definitely bring my snowshoes, maybe even my cross country skis too.

Has AVC considered starting a sleddog club? (only half kidding).

Congrats! I also got one. What province are you applying from?

Congrats to you too! It's great to hear from another domestic applicant! I'm applying from NS, how about you?

Hi everyone- Does anyone know if there has been waitlist movement for international applicants? Thanks!

Hi everyone- Does anyone know if there has been waitlist movement for international applicants? Thanks!
When I emailed them at the end of March they told me it was too early and there was no movement. Since then, I haven't heard anything. I guess Canadian school's alternate list moves slower than states side school!

The AVC alternates list for internationals moves a lot, but don't expect much movement until after April 15th. As people stateside find cheaper schools and other schools' waitlists moves, the AVC list will start to move.

I'm not sure if anyone knows this but is it possible to defer my spot for a year (like you can do in undergrad?) I already sent in my $500 deposit for this year's seat but in the past month 3 of my grandparents have been in and out of the hospital. My parents have been taking turns caring for them (I live across the country) but it's been hard since they both work full time. Since I was planning on quitting my job anyway (to go to vet school) they want me to move back with 2 of them to care for them. (The prognosis isn't very good.) I emailed sharon king about a week ago and haven't heard anything back. I was wondering if there was someone else I should contact or if deferment was even an option? I hate that I even have to ask this :( but my family is extremely important to me and vet school will still be there next year

Yes, you can defer. I'm not sure what the allowable reasons are for deferring though. If you haven't heard via email, I would call.

Thanks for your help. It will be weird to call...so used to figuring everything out by email, but I'll call tomorrow. Btw I read your entire blog (I feel like a creep saying that..found it in an archived post) and I thought it was extremely helpful for what to expect and got me super pumped. Sad that it won't be for another year:(

And the US alternates list gets rolling.....I have just DECLINED my international offer of admission.

Whoever gets my seat, have a blast. I loved AVC, and PEI is absolutely awesome. You have a fun 4 years ahead of you!

Btw I read your entire blog (I feel like a creep saying that..found it in an archived post) and I thought it was extremely helpful for what to expect and got me super pumped. Sad that it won't be for another year:(
Aw, thanks! I felt bad that I sort have had to abandon it since there wasn't much in fourth year I could write about for client confidentiality reasons. Sorry you're having a rough time. At least you know you'll have a seat next year and can concentrate on your family.

Just some info for domestic applicants of 2020 and 2021, the application process is going to changing. No more supplemental application, now you'll talk about your animal experiences in the interview, along with personality questions. And I believe the GRE will be worth more. This is just from what Jack mentioned when I went for my interview.

Not official, as the new cycle hasn't been posted yet, but just a head's up.

Anyone hear news? I'm on the NS waitlist, got an email this morning around 11am.

I'm on the international wait list. I'm still hoping to attend AVC! Fingers crossed for all the waitlisters!

No wait list email for me, so I guess I'm waiting for an acceptance or rejection letter :S

I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling pretty deflated. Jack on vacation, haven't got a response from e-mails or phone calls. Was hoping to get more information on the waitlist process, but I can't get anyone on the phone. Didn't know who else to reach out to, so I thought maybe some of you might be sharing my frustration or deflation...

Additionally, as an Atlantic Canadian applicant, do I have to wait for Jack to be back in office (July 5th) before I can get some insight on this situation? Does anyone know of another contact that I could talk to?

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling pretty deflated. Jack on vacation, haven't got a response from e-mails or phone calls. Was hoping to get more information on the waitlist process, but I can't get anyone on the phone. Didn't know who else to reach out to, so I thought maybe some of you might be sharing my frustration or deflation...

Additionally, as an Atlantic Canadian applicant, do I have to wait for Jack to be back in office (July 5th) before I can get some insight on this situation? Does anyone know of another contact that I could talk to?

I feel the same way! I'm also waiting to hear from Jack. I was thinking about calling the Registrar's Office, but I'm not sure how much help they would be about waitlist questions. I just wish we could figure out where we sit on the waitlist!

I was just taken off the international waitlist! But I only have a day to decide and I already paid my deposit somewhere else in the states :( I am still trying to figure out which one to choose...

And I was wondering if it's easy to stay in Canada after graduation to work as an international student :0 i did send an email to the school's international student coordinator but I only have a day to decide and haven't gotten any response. Such a hard decision

Congrats!!!! How did the notification come? Snail mail?

I was just taken off the international waitlist! But I only have a day to decide and I already paid my deposit somewhere else in the states :( I am still trying to figure out which one to choose...

And I was wondering if it's easy to stay in Canada after graduation to work as an international student :0 i did send an email to the school's international student coordinator but I only have a day to decide and haven't gotten any response. Such a hard decision

I'm of the opinion that if you have a states-side acceptance, take that one instead. Tuition is almost definitely cheaper, but cost of living (gas, food) and travel is also a lot cheaper. I don't really know about working internationally when you're done, but some of my American classmates have stayed in Canada for an internship (1yr) so that's a possibility.

I'm of the opinion that if you have a states-side acceptance, take that one instead. Tuition is almost definitely cheaper, but cost of living (gas, food) and travel is also a lot cheaper. I don't really know about working internationally when you're done, but some of my American classmates have stayed in Canada for an internship (1yr) so that's a possibility.
Thank you so much for your input! But sadly I am international to both US and Canada :( so being able to work after graduation is a huge factor for me but I can't really get that information from anywhere