Away rotations, Residency Interviews, and the ERAS Timeline: The Coalition's Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think at least half our class have taken it already. Just about everyone I know has passed the exam.
fwiw people don't tend to advertise when they fail it

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think at least half our class have taken it already. Just about everyone I know has passed the exam.

I know of 5, but could probably guess a few others who took it based on Facebook pics from Chicago.

Btw, I’ve been dying to figure out who you are for years. I’ve noticed you and one other from our class as regulars on here, and I know who the other is.

Reactions: 1 users
We need to waive the USMLE step 2 CS and comlex level 2 PE for the Class of 2021. Taking this test virtually is unrealistic and does not measure clinical skills well. They really need to waive the test just for this year then they can go back to normal.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We need to waive the USMLE step 2 CS and comlex level 2 PE for the Class of 2021. Taking this test virtually is unrealistic and does not measure clinical skills well. They really need to waive the test just for this year then they can go back to normal.
Don't you worry. The NBOME will make this happen in person, my friend. hahaha

I know of 5, but could probably guess a few others who took it based on Facebook pics from Chicago.

Btw, I’ve been dying to figure out who you are for years. I’ve noticed you and one other from our class as regulars on here, and I know who the other is.
It's quite clear he is a transsexual senior citizen. Should be easy to figure out :)

• Haha

My user name rhymes with my actual name if that helps haha

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Taking this test virtually is unrealistic and does not measure clinical skills well.

It never measured clinical skills well. There is no reason for these tests to exist.

Also, rumor from my school is the NBOME refuses to consider a virtual PE because, "you can't do OMM virtually."

Agreed, sorry my friend SunshineFL, but I’m pretty confident more than half our class has knocked it our already. Had a huge flood of us who did it in Jan/Feb. Don’t stress though, you’ll get it done in time.

Agreed, sorry my friend SunshineFL, but I’m pretty confident more than half our class has knocked it our already. Had a huge flood of us who did it in Jan/Feb. Don’t stress though, you’ll get it done in time.
Even if you guys are right, that’s still half that hasn’t x 240+ people. And even if 239 people have and only I haven’t, which I know is definitely false simply based on the fact that some people haven’t passed level 1 yet to qualify to even schedule level 2 PE, I shouldn’t be penalized for an April PE date.

Anyone get updates from their schools about auditions? Curious how uniform the response will be

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Anyone get updates from their schools about auditions? Curious how uniform the response will be

I haven’t had ANY communication from my school regarding any of the new updates put out in the past couple days, including auditions, ERAS timelines, etc. They can’t even give us an estimate of when we are going back on rotations. I’m getting tired of being completely left in the dark.

my school sent out an email update with the coalition's recommendations. In regards to auditions, they said that away rotations should be limited but it's more of a wait-and-see approach

My school: “You are not allowed to go on aways. Also, you should not cancel your aways. You are not allowed to rotate at your core site until August. You are also not allowed to rotate far from your core site. Rotations start next month and we hope you figure something out because we don’t intend to help you. We’Re alL iN tHiS tOgEtHeR!”

PS: “Obviously we’re raising tuition.”

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school: “You are not allowed to go on aways. Also, you should not cancel your aways. You are not allowed to rotate at your core site until August. You are also not allowed to rotate far from your core site. Rotations start next month and we hope you figure something out because we don’t intend to help you. We’Re alL iN tHiS tOgEtHeR!”

PS: “Obviously we’re raising tuition.”
Yeah my school says that we don't have to pretty much cold-call to set up all our rotations that aren't auditions but then totally expects everyone to do so even for June. What a cluster

With a "goal" to test the entire class of 2021 "by May 2021"

I don't even know what to think anymore.

It is nice to know that if they fail to deliver, they will have to explain why ~8,000 DO graduates do not meet requirements to start residency. Alas, I'm sure the US healthcare system can handle losing 8,000 otherwise qualified US medical school graduates from entering the physician workforce, that won't be an issue at all.

Reactions: 1 user
All June PE dates have been cancelled.
They should waive the comlex level 2 PE for the class of 2021 and the usmle step 2 CS. If the NBOME refuses to do virtual testing then thousands of graduates could be ineligible for residency. With a second wave likely coming in the fall, I highly doubt the NBOME could test everyone by May 2021. This is so ridiculous that this stupid test will likely hurt people’s chances of matching.

Had a June date, and just had to reschedule my level 2 PE to February due to getting cancelled. Unbelievable.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Had a June date, rescheduled to January. The whole month was booked within ten minutes.

• Dislike
Does anybody remember that site that you pay for them to notify you of an open exam date?

Had a June date, rescheduled to January. The whole month was booked within ten minutes.

Friend just found a sept date and signed up maybe 5 minutes ago. I think dates are going to fill/unfill for the next few days.

This is absolutely ridiculous for them to force us to go to two hot spots when we can’t even do auditions. What an absolute joke

This is absolutely ridiculous for them to force us to go to two hot spots when we can’t even do auditions. What an absolute joke

This is literally all driven by OMM. That is the worst part of it all. Let it die ffs.

Reactions: 9 users
"We will continue to update schools, accreditors, and residency program director groups, reminding them that many 2021 graduates will not have Level 2-PE results by the new ERAS opening date in October 2020 or even by rank order list submission deadlines in February 2021"

What a nightmare

Reactions: 5 users
My favorite part is that they anticipate, but don’t even guarantee, testing all of class of 2021 by May 2021.... you know, possibly hopefully by after we graduate and without results before we start residency.

"We will continue to update schools, accreditors, and residency program director groups, reminding them that many 2021 graduates will not have Level 2-PE results by the new ERAS opening date in October 2020 or even by rank order list submission deadlines in February 2021"

What a nightmare

Forget residency and pandemics. What's more important is that you don't forget how to massage each other.

Reactions: 9 users
keep my money just send me a P and we'll call it even NBOME, lets call it a "pre-graduation licensing fee" IDGAF

Reactions: 12 users
Get enough people that can’t test prior to starting residency and may be able to force them to fold. Barely enough spots last year much less for this year. Or maybe they’ll cut it down to 6 patients while still charging the whole deal (of course).

or they’ll make you fly in during residency to make sure your a safe massage therapist lolol

Get enough people that can’t test prior to starting residency and may be able to force them to fold. Barely enough spots last year much less for this year. Or maybe they’ll cut it down to 6 patients while still charging the whole deal (of course).

or they’ll make you fly in during residency to make sure your a safe massage therapist lolol

I’m honestly fine doing it during intern year. This is the last stress any of us need this year but hey nbome gotta make sure they don’t get absorbed by the nbme somehow

Last edited:
Well, I just had my July audition canceled citing the new recommendation. So here we go.

@Goro

take a gander at the link in the OP. Also note the organizations that combined to come up with these reqs. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Are you looking for MoveMyExam ?

Personally have not used it, but some others in my class have.
No, he ended that and it never covered PE. I think I remember seeing on SDN in prior years that there was a way to get alerted for PE openings, but I didn't commit it to memory because I didn't think I would ever need it.

No, he ended that and it never covered PE. I think I remember seeing on SDN in prior years that there was a way to get alerted for PE openings, but I didn't commit it to memory because I didn't think I would ever need it.

COVID: “hold my beer”

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

• Haha

Ahh, thought it covered PE too.

• Sad
We’re they cancelling all rotations or did they allow you to reschedule?
1589547241780.png

Check 4 change firefox extension? I think I've seen that listed for USMLE.

• Love
I recieved the same email thursday for my audition in Sept. What a freakin cluster
I suspect it’s only the beginning of a trend form most programs here in a few weeks.

We’re going to be left scrambling to fill our own 4th year schedules.

I suspect it’s only the beginning of a trend form most programs here in a few weeks.

We’re going to be left scrambling to fill our own 4th year schedules.

Weirdly enough, I've had 2 programs tell me my auditions are still a go, and another give me a conditional yes. This cycle, especially for DOs is going to be very lop sided and probably not exactly fair to people who's schools say no or 1 away vs others (like mine) who require sub-i's and only discourage travel. Not really looking forward to the next 10 months before the match when I was really excited in February =/

Same here. My other aways are giving me the green light at this point, but I suspect many others will follow suit. This fall is going to be a mess. And possibly no college football??? FML

I think we'll get college football, but I bet it'll be regional. Even if the NCAA says no I can see the SEC and ACC saying we're going to go ahead and do it anyway

Same here. My other aways are giving me the green light at this point, but I suspect many others will follow suit. This fall is going to be a mess. And possibly no college football??? FML

The no college football thing is making me nauseous, I can't even lie.

• Sad
My school essentially said "F that recommendation, keep all your auditions and try to get more if you can." I also signed up for an audition a couple days ago so they're still out there folks.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
My school essentially said "F that recommendation, keep all your auditions and try to get more if you can." I also signed up for an audition a couple days ago so they're still out there folks.

This. My school is basically saying the same thing. At least for now, keep the auditions you have. It's going to be very speciality specific. Most of us DOs don't have home programs or home hospitals so we're doing aways regardless.

NBOME doing a Q/A thursday May 21st at 1pm, should have gotten an email for it but if not submit your qs to here:

[email protected]