Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tan Son Nhat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen many doctors trained in both anesthesiology and internal medicine lately. Much more than I expected. After searching, I don't think there are any combined programs. Was there such a program in the past or doctors just decided to do both?

Anyways, I'm interested in possibly doing both. Just wanted to hear yall's input.

Members don't see this ad.

Tan Son Nhat said:
I have seen many doctors trained in both anesthesiology and internal medicine lately. Much more than I expected. After searching, I don't think there are any combined programs. Was there such a program in the past or doctors just decided to do both?

Anyways, I'm interested in possibly doing both. Just wanted to hear yall's input.

I've never seen a doctor who trained in both.

The combined programs don't make sense to me. IM and anes docs do different things in different settings. Either you do one or the other. I would do anes, just to be safe :D

I've seen many who were categorical IM but jump ship after one year or two years.

I'm not aware of any combined programs, but I do know a number of folks who completed training in both programs.

I personally think it is a good idea. The anesthesiologist is essentially the internist for the surgical patient during the perioperative period.

Members don't see this ad :)
jc237 said:
I've never seen a doctor who trained in both.

The combined programs don't make sense to me. IM and anes docs do different things in different settings. Either you do one or the other. I would do anes, just to be safe :D

I've seen many who were categorical IM but jump ship after one year or two years.

You havent seen enough anesthesiologists then. :p At every program (at least that I've seen) there are at least one faculty double-boarded in IM/Gas, often more. I have also run into OB/Anes, Peds/Anes and even one Surgery(!)/Anes

On that note, one of the attendings at Vanderbilt trained in IM, did an extra chief year, followed that up with Anesthesia and then did a CT fellowship. Thats 8 years people. Obviously shes smarter than anyone I know, but I havent asked her yet what that extra training does for her.

Idiopathic said:
You havent seen enough anesthesiologists then. :p At every program (at least that I've seen) there are at least one faculty double-boarded in IM/Gas, often more. I have also run into OB/Anes, Peds/Anes and even one Surgery(!)/Anes

On that note, one of the attendings at Vanderbilt trained in IM, did an extra chief year, followed that up with Anesthesia and then did a CT fellowship. Thats 8 years people. Obviously shes smarter than anyone I know, but I havent asked her yet what that extra training does for her.

The chairman of CHOP anesthesia is board certified in peds, peds cardiology, anesthesia and did fellowship in peds then got an MBA