1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Away Rotations

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Tan Son Nhat, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Tan Son Nhat

Tan Son Nhat Member
    10+ Year Member

I have seen many doctors trained in both anesthesiology and internal medicine lately. Much more than I expected. After searching, I don't think there are any combined programs. Was there such a program in the past or doctors just decided to do both?

Anyways, I'm interested in possibly doing both. Just wanted to hear yall's input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jc237

jc237 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I've never seen a doctor who trained in both.

The combined programs don't make sense to me. IM and anes docs do different things in different settings. Either you do one or the other. I would do anes, just to be safe :D

I've seen many who were categorical IM but jump ship after one year or two years.

4. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not aware of any combined programs, but I do know a number of folks who completed training in both programs.

I personally think it is a good idea. The anesthesiologist is essentially the internist for the surgical patient during the perioperative period.

5. Idiopathic

Idiopathic Newly Minted
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You havent seen enough anesthesiologists then. :p At every program (at least that I've seen) there are at least one faculty double-boarded in IM/Gas, often more. I have also run into OB/Anes, Peds/Anes and even one Surgery(!)/Anes

On that note, one of the attendings at Vanderbilt trained in IM, did an extra chief year, followed that up with Anesthesia and then did a CT fellowship. Thats 8 years people. Obviously shes smarter than anyone I know, but I havent asked her yet what that extra training does for her.

6. adleyinga

adleyinga Einstein
    5+ Year Member

The chairman of CHOP anesthesia is board certified in peds, peds cardiology, anesthesia and did fellowship in peds then got an MBA