Awful freshman year grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yikeswhatnow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm calculating my final grades for the year and I'm honestly scared I've killed my chances at mid-range (e.g. BU or Tufts) medical schools. First semester I dropped my bio class because I didn't want Bs on my transcript (I realize this was a stupid mistake) and only took three classes, all of which I received a B+ in. This semester, I took an upper level humanities class that I might get a B+/A- in and another English class which might have similar grades but I'm going to get a B in my bio class and probably a D in my chem class. I attend a top 25 institution and was unprepared for the science classes. I don't' know what to do but I'm going to study over the summer for the classes I will be taking next semester but I guess my question is, what range of medical schools have I already killed my chances at even if I do well on the MCAT? I also have research experience and leadership in tutoring and pre-health clubs but I've really been struggling with my grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a freshman right now? You still have time to bring up your grades, so you haven't necessarily killed your chances. I know someone who had a 2.9 GPA freshman year because of some personal/family issues but he worked really hard to take 18 hours per semester and get As in his classes.

Are you a freshman right now? You still have time to bring up your grades, so you haven't necessarily killed your chances. I know someone who had a 2.9 GPA freshman year because of some personal/family issues but he worked really hard to take 18 hours per semester and get As in his classes.

I just finished freshman year so those will likely be the grades for my classes this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What were the numbers?

What were the numbers?

1st semester: B+ in a sixth semester level spanish class, B+ in psych class beyond the intro level, B+ in a philosophy intro class
2nd semester: B in a bio class, likely a D in a chem class, B+ or A- in a creative writing class and also in an upper level religion/humanities class

1st semester: B+ in a sixth semester level spanish class, B+ in psych class beyond the intro level, B+ in a philosophy intro class
2nd semester: B in a bio class, likely a D in a chem class, B+ or A- in a creative writing class and also in an upper level religion/humanities class

Your overall gpa? Its hard for me to calculate a number without the amount of credits taken

Reactions: 1 user
well...in your advantage is that schools look favorably upon an upward trend. the only real blemishes are that D (perhaps you get a freshman grade forgiveness or you can retake?) and the W you have. You have not ended your chances, but you need to bring that gpa to around a 3.6 by the time you apply. That means a 3.8-4.0 from here on out. Also, a High MCAT can forgive some of it too

Reactions: 1 user
So my grades were finally released and I ended up getting a C- in the class which I realize is still not looked favorably upon but I'm hoping it is looked less poorly upon than a D would be? Additionally, I did not receive a W in my biology class- my class was dropped without any record of enrollment so I hope that makes a better difference. Do I have to/should I retake the chemistry class or would a good grade in my chem course in the fall suffice?

Hey I had a 2.93 freshman year and I have a 3.6 3 years later now. You can definitely bring it up.