-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
AZCOM Class of 2007
Started by San_Juan_Sun
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Born in Goobervill, Gooberonia. Undergrad at Goober's Fish & Chips College of Undergrad. Can't wait to get back🙄.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not only interested in where everyone is coming from, but would also like to get some background info from everybody so we can start to see what types of people will make up our class.
Specifically, I'd like to know ages, family status (ie. spouses, kids, etc.), what and where people studied, and which specialty you'd pick if you had to decide today.
As I believe I said before, I'm moving down from Minneapolis, MN. I went to the U of MN, majored in Neuroscience and Physiology, and graduated last May. My girlfriend will be moving to Scottsdale with me--assuming she is accepted into ASU's Master's in Architecture program--. I am 23 and with the minimal exposure I have had to the various fields of medicine, I would choose wilderness medicine or cardiology for a specialty. I should also add that I have applied for a Health Professions Scholarship through the Air Force and have had my fingers crossed for the last couple of weeks...I should hear of their decision in a fortnight or so.
Oh yeah, one more thing...Don't Forget the Second Deposit--Due the 28th!
Specifically, I'd like to know ages, family status (ie. spouses, kids, etc.), what and where people studied, and which specialty you'd pick if you had to decide today.
As I believe I said before, I'm moving down from Minneapolis, MN. I went to the U of MN, majored in Neuroscience and Physiology, and graduated last May. My girlfriend will be moving to Scottsdale with me--assuming she is accepted into ASU's Master's in Architecture program--. I am 23 and with the minimal exposure I have had to the various fields of medicine, I would choose wilderness medicine or cardiology for a specialty. I should also add that I have applied for a Health Professions Scholarship through the Air Force and have had my fingers crossed for the last couple of weeks...I should hear of their decision in a fortnight or so.
Oh yeah, one more thing...Don't Forget the Second Deposit--Due the 28th!
so you want details?😀
I'm 25, will graduate (finally) from the uofutah with a degree in Spanish. I have lived in argentina, cosa rica, and spain. I've been to egypt, israel, jordan, ireland, england, wales, and russia-- i love to travel😉
My wife should be moving with me to arizona-- that is if i can convince her the desert isn't that bad!!! I have two boys and a girl (triplets).
I'm applying for the national health services corps scholarship and if i get that i'd most likely pick peds or maybe fp. If i don't get it-- who knows....i've always loved surgery!
I'm 25, will graduate (finally) from the uofutah with a degree in Spanish. I have lived in argentina, cosa rica, and spain. I've been to egypt, israel, jordan, ireland, england, wales, and russia-- i love to travel😉
My wife should be moving with me to arizona-- that is if i can convince her the desert isn't that bad!!! I have two boys and a girl (triplets).
I'm applying for the national health services corps scholarship and if i get that i'd most likely pick peds or maybe fp. If i don't get it-- who knows....i've always loved surgery!
Hi everyone! I'm coming from San Antonio, TX where I am an active duty AF med tech. I am married with an 18 mon old daughter and husband. I would prefer not to divulge my age.
I attended ASU and received a degree in Life Science- graduated in May 2000. Since then, I've been acquiring clinical skills in the AF medical service. I have applied for the AF HPSP, as well. I should hear about that board the second week in April. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
I am probably going to pursue primary care... either FP, peds or OB/GYN.
I can't wait to get back to Phoenix and meet you all.
Cyndi
I attended ASU and received a degree in Life Science- graduated in May 2000. Since then, I've been acquiring clinical skills in the AF medical service. I have applied for the AF HPSP, as well. I should hear about that board the second week in April. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
I am probably going to pursue primary care... either FP, peds or OB/GYN.
I can't wait to get back to Phoenix and meet you all.
Cyndi
I am Charles, but I go by Chuck. I will be 24 on March 1st. I got my B.S. in Bio w/ a Chem. minor in May of '02. I have been working as a Histology Technician in the Pathology Dept. of a hospital here in Reno since graduation. I also work per diem in a local ED as an EMT when mony gets low. I have my EMT-B and I'm also a Phlebotomist. I am getting my EMT-Intermediate now...I just really wanted to get to learn ET intubation, IVs, and stuff, and if I really need to, I can work in Phoenix over the summer but that's not likely.
My fiance' is in nursing school now and will be finishing with her BSN in Dec. 2003. Then she can join me in AZ.
As far as specialty goes it is really in the air as of now. I am REALLY into the idea of surgery, I am just a really hands on guy. But, I can "see myself" doing a lot of different things in medicine. So who knows!
I LOVE to play golf, baseball, go hiking, and play video games (X-box)😀 I am a muscian too (trumpet, learning guitar), it's actually what I was doing for my first 3 years of college. And, that's about it!
My fiance' is in nursing school now and will be finishing with her BSN in Dec. 2003. Then she can join me in AZ.
As far as specialty goes it is really in the air as of now. I am REALLY into the idea of surgery, I am just a really hands on guy. But, I can "see myself" doing a lot of different things in medicine. So who knows!
I LOVE to play golf, baseball, go hiking, and play video games (X-box)😀 I am a muscian too (trumpet, learning guitar), it's actually what I was doing for my first 3 years of college. And, that's about it!
I'm Luke, 25, a 2000 grad from Notre Dame in English. I'm hoping to snag a spot in one of the FP/EM combined residencies (which are unique to AOA...a big plus on the osteopathic side.)
More info...
I'm Matt (Matthew) and I attended Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. I graduated last May with a BS in Molecular Biology (minors in Chemistry and Catholic Theology). I will be 24 on March 2nd--one day after Chuck--and am not married, nor do I have any children. As for specialty, I am pretty set on Invasive Cardiology and Cardiovascular Disease.
I'm Matt (Matthew) and I attended Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. I graduated last May with a BS in Molecular Biology (minors in Chemistry and Catholic Theology). I will be 24 on March 2nd--one day after Chuck--and am not married, nor do I have any children. As for specialty, I am pretty set on Invasive Cardiology and Cardiovascular Disease.
I'm Kristen/kristi, and appear to be the youngest at 22. i graduated from the Univ of Iowa in december with a BS in Exercise Science/Physiology. I worked in anesthesia research for 2 1/2 years and have been working in OB-GYN research for 2 months, so i've had quite a bit of hospital exposure. if i had to choose right now i would pick pediatric anesthesia, however it's always up in the air with me.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I am Kevin and I graduated from the University of Idaho in 2002 with a major in Psychology and a minor in Biology. I have lived in Washington and Idaho my whole life. I am 32 years old and have been employed as a police officer for the past 7 years. I was hired as a police officer with two classes to finish my degree and chose to leave school and hit the work force. In 1999 decided that medicine was right for me and I went back to school and finished my degree and just graduated last year. I spen the last three years working full time and attending school full time. I hold a commericial pilots license and an insturment rating. I enjoy flying RC aircraft, riding my offroad dirt bike (YZ426F) and street bike, while spending time with family.
I am bringing my girlfirend (Leslie) and her young son (Isaac) to Phoenix with me. We are both really excited although I am a little scared to begin a new chapter in my life. Nothing ventured nothing gained. RIGHT????
Kevin
I am Kevin and I graduated from the University of Idaho in 2002 with a major in Psychology and a minor in Biology. I have lived in Washington and Idaho my whole life. I am 32 years old and have been employed as a police officer for the past 7 years. I was hired as a police officer with two classes to finish my degree and chose to leave school and hit the work force. In 1999 decided that medicine was right for me and I went back to school and finished my degree and just graduated last year. I spen the last three years working full time and attending school full time. I hold a commericial pilots license and an insturment rating. I enjoy flying RC aircraft, riding my offroad dirt bike (YZ426F) and street bike, while spending time with family.
I am bringing my girlfirend (Leslie) and her young son (Isaac) to Phoenix with me. We are both really excited although I am a little scared to begin a new chapter in my life. Nothing ventured nothing gained. RIGHT????
Kevin
Hi there everyone!
I guess I'm the second Matt in the class so far. I'm 24. I graduated from UCLA with a BS in Biology in June 2001. Since then I've been working in construction as a contractor's assistant and at my sister's elementary school as a computer tech. I also decided to get my EMT-B license, although I haven't really used it. Right now I'm actually unemployed and not too interested in finding a job right now. I'm kinda trying to enjoy what little time I have left before starting the rigors of med school. So I'm spending a lot of time with my dog, Hector, who I'll unfortunately have to leave behind when I move to Arizona because I'm planning to live in the on-campus apartments for the first year. It's OK. My family will take good care of him. I'm also training for the LA marathon on March 2, which will be my first. I'm up to 20 miles now and I'm sure I'll be ready to go. I've pretty much wanted to be a pediatrician for as long as I can remember, but I also really like using my hands and fixing things so I might lean more towards pediatric surgery as time goes on. I've also applied for the Air Force HPSP and should be hearing soon. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you.
I guess I'm the second Matt in the class so far. I'm 24. I graduated from UCLA with a BS in Biology in June 2001. Since then I've been working in construction as a contractor's assistant and at my sister's elementary school as a computer tech. I also decided to get my EMT-B license, although I haven't really used it. Right now I'm actually unemployed and not too interested in finding a job right now. I'm kinda trying to enjoy what little time I have left before starting the rigors of med school. So I'm spending a lot of time with my dog, Hector, who I'll unfortunately have to leave behind when I move to Arizona because I'm planning to live in the on-campus apartments for the first year. It's OK. My family will take good care of him. I'm also training for the LA marathon on March 2, which will be my first. I'm up to 20 miles now and I'm sure I'll be ready to go. I've pretty much wanted to be a pediatrician for as long as I can remember, but I also really like using my hands and fixing things so I might lean more towards pediatric surgery as time goes on. I've also applied for the Air Force HPSP and should be hearing soon. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you.
I posed the question and never answered it myself! Anyhow, my name is Fred and I was born, raised, and educated in Northern Virginia. I graduated from George Mason University with a BS in Biology in 2001. Currently, I work as a medical assistant for an upper extremity orthopod during the regular work week and sell footwear at Footlocker during the weekends. I spend most of my free time in the gym or at Barnes and Noble with a book and some coffee. Yes, I am a nerd loving it! Haha. As far as my medical interests, I have always wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon but could also see myself in the ER or as an internist. Anyhow, I am EXTREMELY excited about starting this fall and meeting you all!!!
Fred
Fred
To all,
I am thinking about a surgical speciality. I am interested in orthopedics and General but at the same time I have spent a great deal of time in our local ER over the last 7 years and I am interested in Emergency Medicine. So many specialities and only one life time!! I have had to oppertunity to spend quite a bit of time with an orthopedic surgeon and many ER Doc's. Only time will tell for me.
Kevin
I am thinking about a surgical speciality. I am interested in orthopedics and General but at the same time I have spent a great deal of time in our local ER over the last 7 years and I am interested in Emergency Medicine. So many specialities and only one life time!! I have had to oppertunity to spend quite a bit of time with an orthopedic surgeon and many ER Doc's. Only time will tell for me.
Kevin
To all,
When are you guys planning on arriving in the "valley of the sun." I am thinking about the 1st part of August but maybe end of July. I was just wondering when the rest of my classmates are planning on arriving so that we might get together before classes begin and we become overwhelmed.
Kevin🙂
When are you guys planning on arriving in the "valley of the sun." I am thinking about the 1st part of August but maybe end of July. I was just wondering when the rest of my classmates are planning on arriving so that we might get together before classes begin and we become overwhelmed.
Kevin🙂
Has anyone received a "financial aid packet" from the school yet? In one ?packet? we received during our interviews (Financing Your Health Profession Education) it said we would get this in January when we were accepted and had paid our first matriculation deposit. However, I haven't received any such packet yet. Just curious if anyone else had or if y'all had heard anything regarding this.
Thanks,
Matt
Thanks,
Matt
I had emailed Tammy S. about fin aid, and she said that the packets were going out in the mail Wed.2/19.
I am still working out my arival time. My fiance will have a week off of school (the week before her fallsemester begins) so I am hoping to coordinate my arival into that week so she could help me move down and we can spend some time together before we get seperated for four months🙁
We are hoping to go and scope out apartments and stuff this spring/summer.
It would be great to get together before orientation and stuff. There is SOO much to do in the area. Even with the schedules that are expected in med school, I hear that we should just have a blast in Phx.
I am still working out my arival time. My fiance will have a week off of school (the week before her fallsemester begins) so I am hoping to coordinate my arival into that week so she could help me move down and we can spend some time together before we get seperated for four months🙁
We are hoping to go and scope out apartments and stuff this spring/summer.
It would be great to get together before orientation and stuff. There is SOO much to do in the area. Even with the schedules that are expected in med school, I hear that we should just have a blast in Phx.
Got my packet yesterday (Friday the 21st). I'm not too far from AZ, so you guys across the counrty can probably expect them the beginning of next week.
Hi everyone! School seems more real now that we're all formulating plans for the Big Move.
irish- I received my packet on 21 Feb. I'm trying to complete the app, but I can't seem to locate my Dept of Edu pin. Guess I'll have to wait a few days.
jhug- my in laws are lds and are the ward youth advisors. I can introduce you to them if you'd like more info about the wards in the area.
everyone- My husband can't wait to throw a party/ BBQ for us. It will probably have to wait until Oct when it cools down a little. I won't be in Phoenix until Aug after OTC in Montgomery, AL. I may meet those of you receiving the AF HPSP then. Don't worry. I haven't actually been notified yet... the AFPC stats suggest that anyone enlisted that applies has had a 100% acceptance rate the past few years. So I'm just being optimistic.
Cyndi🙂
irish- I received my packet on 21 Feb. I'm trying to complete the app, but I can't seem to locate my Dept of Edu pin. Guess I'll have to wait a few days.
jhug- my in laws are lds and are the ward youth advisors. I can introduce you to them if you'd like more info about the wards in the area.
everyone- My husband can't wait to throw a party/ BBQ for us. It will probably have to wait until Oct when it cools down a little. I won't be in Phoenix until Aug after OTC in Montgomery, AL. I may meet those of you receiving the AF HPSP then. Don't worry. I haven't actually been notified yet... the AFPC stats suggest that anyone enlisted that applies has had a 100% acceptance rate the past few years. So I'm just being optimistic.
Cyndi🙂
Hello everyone,
I'm Brett and I am currently living in Salt Lake City. I'm 28 and I graduated from BYU in 2001 with a BS in Human Biology. I have worked at the Utah State Hospital on the Forensic and Adolescent Units for the past 3 years. My wife and I are anxiously expecting the birth of our first child (a girl) in a couple of weeks. We are very excited for our move to the "Valley of the Sun" in August and are anxious to meet everyone. But until then I am skiing as much as possible because I hear the snow isn't so great in Phoenix.
I'm Brett and I am currently living in Salt Lake City. I'm 28 and I graduated from BYU in 2001 with a BS in Human Biology. I have worked at the Utah State Hospital on the Forensic and Adolescent Units for the past 3 years. My wife and I are anxiously expecting the birth of our first child (a girl) in a couple of weeks. We are very excited for our move to the "Valley of the Sun" in August and are anxious to meet everyone. But until then I am skiing as much as possible because I hear the snow isn't so great in Phoenix.
Well, got the Fin Aid stuff done...Both scary and cool at the same time🙂 I hope to get some free monies this year, although I am not betting on it. It looks like there are a few more options for once we are 2nd, 3rd, 4th years. Oh well.
I feel so bad...I keep reading over the statements about having good credit and having your credit cards payed off..HAH
I'm in it so bad my grandkids are gonna feel it! And now that we are begining to make a dent in some of our cards, our wedding will be coming up next year and there those will go again!🙂 I guess sometimes ther is just no way out🙂 But it'sall good, I am still nothing but excited about going!!
I feel so bad...I keep reading over the statements about having good credit and having your credit cards payed off..HAH
I'm in it so bad my grandkids are gonna feel it! And now that we are begining to make a dent in some of our cards, our wedding will be coming up next year and there those will go again!🙂 I guess sometimes ther is just no way out🙂 But it'sall good, I am still nothing but excited about going!! Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was having the same problem. I talked to the financial aid office and Tammy Schmidt sent me the application via e-mail. If you want me to forward it to you, just send me an e-mail ([email protected]) and I'll forward it on. When you are done, you can fax it to Tammy at (623) 572-3283.
I hope this helps!
I hope this helps!
which lender did you guys choose? I had called the financial aid office to ask their advice and to find out the different benefits of the lenders but she just told me I would have to do the research myself. (thanks alot) So, I am leaning toward T.H.E. because they waive the fees, but what do you guys think?
I filled out the form for NOWLOANS from KCOM. They waive all fees for Stafford loans and might wave them for the signature loans too if you have good credit. Also, if you make 33 payments on time, you'll receive 3.3% of your original loan principal back. I really don't understand much of this stuff, but it sounded good. Perhaps I should have taken a business class in place of one of those biology classes. Its true what they say, hindsight IS 20/20.
Speaking of business, has anyone heard of anything about doing a Dual degree with an MBA? I know that they offer the MA and that educational one--but I don't know if there is a possibility to do it at U of A or AU. Just a thought...
Speaking of business, has anyone heard of anything about doing a Dual degree with an MBA? I know that they offer the MA and that educational one--but I don't know if there is a possibility to do it at U of A or AU. Just a thought...
Hey guys,
Just a quick note for those not on the MWU mailing list that they have the profile pages up and running now. The concept looks good...you can make a personalized page, put up a profile, etc...I'm not sure yet how useful it will be in practice. A lot of the personalized links seem just to point to stuff already on the site.
I'm suspecting that we'll still need to make our own web page and message boards as planned before, though hopefully we can integrate it with what they've put up here. There doesn't really seem to be a mechanism for the note-sharing, lecture-recording supersite we'd discussed before. Right now it's at www.thecampestral.com/forum/ but I plan to register a domain name for the class when the time draws nearer.
To get signed up for the page, go to www.midwestern.edu and choose the AZCOM campus. Go to the "Interact" tab at the top of the screen, and follow the directions from there.
Just a quick note for those not on the MWU mailing list that they have the profile pages up and running now. The concept looks good...you can make a personalized page, put up a profile, etc...I'm not sure yet how useful it will be in practice. A lot of the personalized links seem just to point to stuff already on the site.
I'm suspecting that we'll still need to make our own web page and message boards as planned before, though hopefully we can integrate it with what they've put up here. There doesn't really seem to be a mechanism for the note-sharing, lecture-recording supersite we'd discussed before. Right now it's at www.thecampestral.com/forum/ but I plan to register a domain name for the class when the time draws nearer.
To get signed up for the page, go to www.midwestern.edu and choose the AZCOM campus. Go to the "Interact" tab at the top of the screen, and follow the directions from there.
charles, you are the second person i'll just miss-- bad timing!! You'll have to let me know about what you think on the different areas/apartments. Do you think it is dishonest to call sleep inn and tell them i am coming to go to midwestern so i get the cheaper rate (i imagine they did that this year too)😀
Do you think it is dishonest to call sleep inn and tell them i am coming to go to midwestern so i get the cheaper rate
Ya know, I have thought about that too😀 But, Sleep Inn said that they were full on the days I wanted🙁 . I will for sure tell you guys about the aparments, we are gonna look at A LOT of them.
Charles,
which are you looking at? we are hitting: Belagio apt homes, sage stone @ arrowhead, the retreat, isle @ arrowhead, archstone deer valley, camden sierra, strayhorse @arrowhead, sierra canyon, archstone arrowhead, laguna @ arrowhead, and arrowhead highlands. Does anyone have any info (good&bad) on these before we go down?
which are you looking at? we are hitting: Belagio apt homes, sage stone @ arrowhead, the retreat, isle @ arrowhead, archstone deer valley, camden sierra, strayhorse @arrowhead, sierra canyon, archstone arrowhead, laguna @ arrowhead, and arrowhead highlands. Does anyone have any info (good&bad) on these before we go down?
Hey guys, I wouldn't feel to guilty about telling the Hotels you're with Midwestern. I visited in Jan, and after a horrible surprise courtesy of Hotels.com, I ended up at the same Quality Inns and Suites that I stayed in for the interview. When the desk attendant found out how poorly Hotels.com's description of the ghetto dump we were supposed to stay at was, she immediatly started asking us for what memberships we had (ie. AAA). I told her I was here to visit the school again, so she gave me the room for $65 bucks a night. I highly recommend the place. There is a microwave and fridge in every room, King size beds, and they have a very nice hot tub area with a mini-waterfall nearby to create a very soothing ambience. The hotel is at 55th? and Bell, right across from the LA Fitness center.
Enjoy the visits, I wish I could come again soon but I probably won't make it down again until June.
Enjoy the visits, I wish I could come again soon but I probably won't make it down again until June.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
burs-- thanks for not looking down on me for that😀
well, i just got my interaction account thing set up on the mwu website-- has anyone else done that?? I'm still not sure how it will help, it seems that everything is straight off the original web site-- i guess we'll see.
well, i just got my interaction account thing set up on the mwu website-- has anyone else done that?? I'm still not sure how it will help, it seems that everything is straight off the original web site-- i guess we'll see.
Yea, I set up my little profile thingy the other day. Did you notice that AZCOM wasn't a choice for one of the options..I forget which one...so I put myself as a visitor. Weird. Yea, so far I am not too excited about it, it just gives me links to pages on the MWU site that I have frequented already. But perhaps they will add more to the functionality of the interactive pages.
Anybody order AZCOM scrubs yet??
Anybody order AZCOM scrubs yet??
I was a little underwhelmed by the site in its current form also. I'll keep the other website up and see if we can expand on it.
Plans in the lukealfredwhite household are underway for building a computer that can burn DVDs. It should be pretty simple to put the lectures on the website in mp3 format, but if we got a smidgin of funding and permission from the profs, it would be pretty easy to have videos of the lectures. Kirksville has a bunch of instructional videos on loan in its library which seem to be invaluable. We could hopefully do the same without too much effort.
With any luck, we'll be able to make up for any shortcomings in the official website with nifty 2007-centric bells and whistles.
Plans in the lukealfredwhite household are underway for building a computer that can burn DVDs. It should be pretty simple to put the lectures on the website in mp3 format, but if we got a smidgin of funding and permission from the profs, it would be pretty easy to have videos of the lectures. Kirksville has a bunch of instructional videos on loan in its library which seem to be invaluable. We could hopefully do the same without too much effort.
With any luck, we'll be able to make up for any shortcomings in the official website with nifty 2007-centric bells and whistles.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K