AZCOM Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So how do you order these scrubs? I would love to get some and show em off at work

I got the little orange (or was it yellow) slip for ordering the scrubs with one of the packets they sent me last fall...the same pasket with the payment coupons in it.

I have not ordered any yet but i am gonna:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi you all! It looks like I'll be joining you next fall at AZCOM. I just have a quick question. Has the cost for next year's tuition been released yet? If not, when? I'm confused to how we are to apply for financial aid when we don't even know how much we should borrow.?:)

Hi you all! It looks like I'll be joining you next fall at AZCOM. I just have a quick question. Has the cost for next year's tuition been released yet? If not, when? I'm confused to how we are to apply for financial aid when we don't even know how much we should borrow.?:)

Members don't see this ad :)
jhug-

Getting an internal DVD burner is pretty cheap now....it's less than $200 and really easy to install. An external one is still $300 or so. You can get the discs for around a dollar, and they hold a LOT of video. You can also toss baby pictures on the same disc which will play on most dvd players.

Of course, with triplets, you'll run through more than most!

So, I want T.H.E. to be my loan provider for my Staffords. They have a great repayment plan and just seem like a good choice all around. But, when I call AZCOM to let them know this, and that they need to send T.H.E. my/their info, I got a total sales pitch/guilt trip thing from the lady on the phone. She tried soo hard to get me to re-think this and go with Midwestern as my provider because of how much incredibly easier it would be, and that using someone else could almost guarantee some kind of problems in my disbursement. Did anybody else, first, choose T.H.E.? Second, run into these problems? Man, I really thought I had it all figured out, and now she has me second guessing and stuff?I really don?t want to choose badly with a 200K debt. Ohh the stress!:)

And according to her, AZCOM will decide in a month or so if they will have zero $ origination fees.

what are some of the deals the school hooked you up with as far as hotels and rental cars (and how much was it?) We are making our final plans to go and want to make sure we get the biggest bang for our buck! Charles, i wouldn't feel too bad, that is what she is paid to say:D It may be slightly slower getting the $$ but i highly doubt that it would come to the payments/disbursements not being made on time. Where did you find THE?

I did all the research about lenders and I came to the same conclusion. T.H.E. is the best bet for me. When I called midwestern to let them know, they didn't say a word to me. All you need to do is let them know, then they should send you a paper master promissary(spelling?) note that you fill out and give back to them. I live close by, so I went in and picked up the paper and then turned it in today in fact. I wouldnt let anyone pressure you into choosing a lender. You need to say, ok what are you going to do so I sign with you? Call different lenders and ask them, why should I sign with you? But dont let anyone give you a guilt trip. Just think, just by finding the best lender you can save several thousands of dollars, so when someone (midwestern or any lender) gives you a guilt trip, think to yourself, I am saving thousands of dollars! Just make your decision based purely on numbers, quality of customer service, and if they will service your loan for the entire life of the loan. The best lender will know that what they are offering is the best and wont need to pressure you. Like I said, T.H.E. was best for ME, but might not be for everyone, so just do the research and stick to your decsion.
Good Luck!! :)

Where do I find information on the T.H.E. loans you guys are talking about????

The THE loans are at www.northstar.org

Has anyone compared them to the Kirksville loan program? They both look attractive, but I lack the math skills to figure out which one ends up giving back more.

Has anyone started considering any private lenders to cover the gap between what the Staffords provide and the cost of attending?

I am dealing with the same questions as everyone with lenders so I decided to get to the bottom of all these numbers. Like LAW I don't have the math skills to do this so I got our bioinformatics wiz at work to make me a spread sheet with all the stupid algorithems to compare NOW with T.H.E. as these seem to be the two best lenders I have found. Now for the Stats!

T.H.E.

Pros-
1. does end up saving you more by reducing the number of payments needed. We plagged in 100,000 as our principle and over 10 years the savings over Now was about $4,000. I can send you the spread sheet if anyone wants it. Just PM me.

2. Can miss payments and still receive benefits

Cons-

1. Not a preferred Midwestern Lender so no electronic transfer (think this is the case) checks are sent via snail mail

NOW

Pros-A Preferred Lender- e-transfer (think not sure though)

2. Backed by Sallie Mae ( don't know if that matters that much but I think it means the loan will most likely not be sold and everyone tells me it is a good thing)

Cons- Will cost more over the course of the loan

2. Can't miss any payments to receive benefit

These are the pros and cons as I see them. If anyone has anything to add or correct anything I wasn't sure on please do so.

andy, thanks for the info-- i pm'd you!

Hey Andy, I PMed you too!

Yea, I was just a bit flustered by the pitch given to me on the phone, but I am really sure I want to go with T.H.E. I am glad for those of you who didn?t have to deal with it. :)

Man, I have sooo many places to go see, housing-wise, while I am down there. I would really like o get into a house ASAP. A lot is going to be dependent on how soon my fiance gets a job when she gets down there?she will be graduating nursing school in Dec. ?03. Also, what type of pay she gets.

ok-- call me ignorant, i am:D
Do you fill out a fafsa application first and then THE loans? (i am next to positive that is who i'm going through if NHSC doesn't work out)
OR, do you fill out the THE loan and that is essencially applying for the same things?
Finally, should i contact mwu to let them know, or do i take what they've told you as all i need to know?
you all are great!! thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
me again... i guess i just somewhat answered my question-- can you NOT apply on-line for THE loans b/c mwu isn't a "preferred school"??

Andy,

Thanks for the breakdown! That was very helpful. Hopefully if enough of us go for the THE loans, there won't be any school issues, since there will be a benefit to volume.

jhug-

I think that you fill out the FAFSA first, and then the loan form. THE sent me a partially completed paper application to give to the financial aid department. I haven't filled out the Midwestern info yet, so I'm not sure how streamlined the process will be with the paper app. They seem to make it fairly easy, though; they've printed all my relevant info that I entered on the computer, so there's not much to fill out.

Jhug,

The way it worked for me is that I filled out FASFA and then the institutional application, but as you mentioned, you can't apply for T.H.E. through the online process so I went in and fin aid gave me a paper app. to fill out. Then I turned that back in to them and they said that they apply for the loan for me through the office. They said I dont need to contact T.H.E. to apply, that they would do it for me. But just to be safe, I am going to call T.H.E. and ask them if that sounds right. Good Luck!!

how does all this work if i am still waiting to hear from scholarships? I would hate to get stuck with a big loan if in the end i don't need it. YOU ALL ARE WONDERFUL!!!!

I'm using NOW rather than THE--but, when I called the Financial Aid Office, they told me to fill out the FAFSA and the MPN for NOWLOANS and send it to them and they would send everything in for me. Do we now have to wait and see what we get before we can fill out and send in the Promissory Note for the private loan thingy? I wish they would have given us more guidance in this stuff--I guess we will learn from our mistakes and do better next year.

Good Luck Everyone!

What happened with mine is that I went to northstar.org and started to fill out the online app. but I didn't fine MWU-AZCOM on the "list".
So I called them and asked. It turns out that for Staffords, we go throudh T.H.E.'s "National loan program" and not the "Medical loan program".

This has NO affect on the staffords, it only makes a difference with their private loans. So I went ahead and did the T.H.E. onliner application and electronically signed my MPN and they are just waiting for AZCOM to send them the stuff.

AZCOM ends up being the "first" of the Midwestern Universities on the school list in the Natioal application. Now, I am only using THE for the staffords, and not any private loans. I don't know if you guys are gonna go with privates from them too...that might make a difference, but I don't know. I would say give them a call at their 1-888-843-0004 number and they will help out.

Az Med,

I filled out an application online for the T.H.E. loan the other day. I think!!!!! This whole process is very confusing and I just hope that I am doing it right. The finacial aid office said that one we get there in AZ there will be time to get things in order before school starts if small problems arrise.

Kevin

i just sent in my fasfa application-- i guess i'm a bit behind, people have sounded suprised that it wasn't in yet. I think i'll go with THE as well-- thanks to those that suggested it!!!

I have a question for everyone....i'm taking a refresher anatomy course right now and really feel i'm (re)learning a ton. BUT, i am taking the class to get used to the classroom feel (triplets can make you forget what that is like really fast:D ) and now i find myself TOTALLY slacking on my studying b/c i'd rather be with the kids & my poor wife who i'll probably not see too much over the next few years. I feel like i have the luxury (of not stressing over performance) now, and REALLY won't have that option come august. So, now i'm wondering if i withdraw from the class to avoid a grade i know i'll despise (i'm somewhat of a perfectionist, if i don't do as well as i know i can it drives me nuts!) or just hang in for the ride and TRY to balance the time (i don't want to balance) between class and three adorable little kids. I don't need the class to graduate, i don't need it to get into med school...but i hate starting something i don't finish. What do you think?? i know in the eternal scheme of things this is really NOT important, it is just eating at me right now. Thanks for the advice!

If I were you, I would withdraw. I have no clue what it is like to have children or be married, but you are going to be quite busy studying when school starts, I would imagine. I think you should spend this time enjoying your children and wife and just relaxing a little. Just my opinion.

Matt

jhug- From everything that I have read on SDN and talking to friends in Med school now, the advice all seem to give is take this time and do everything you won't be able to do next year. I've been out of the classroom myself for quite a while and it does make me a little nervous but at somepoint in the next four years I am going to have to look back on some good memories to get me through. Go to my "Happy Place" as Happy Gilmore would say. So the question you have to ask is "Next year, with the sweet smell of formaldehyde enveloping my being, do I want to remember that time I watched my kids do that cute little thing that made me laugh for a day straight, or do I want to remember Joe Sombody, the guy who smelt really bad in the seat next to me in class when all I wanted to do was be home in my happy place. I sounds to me like you don't have just one good reason to make some memories, you got three! But I think you allready knew that. However much i would love a phisiology pro next to me in class, I would much rather struggle through with someone who was happy to be there becasue they had so many great memories and reasons to keep them going. Just my opinion. Hope it makes the decision easier and not more difficult.

Kothkg,

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear about what I meant by "online". I believe you are correct, you can go directly to the THE website and fill out some paperwork. I was referring to the website that midwestern has us use to fill out all the institutional app and the "laureate system" that they use for us to choose a lender. See, THE is not a choice on the "laureate" system so I had to fill out hard copies of the paperwork and Midwestern said they would take care of everything from there. Let me know if this sounds incorrect or if anyone has any new information. :)

azmed-- did you have to print out a master promissary note as well as a private promissary note? The FA told me to send both if i was planning on applying for private loans but i couldn't find the ppn anywhere (maybe it is for the best!!)

also, i thought i'd copy this for anyone who may be interested:
These are a few of the many pearls that i came away with after my trip to the school this week--- thanks again niki & kel & everyone else!!

*take school one quarter at a time, don't get caught up in looking ahead as it is very overwhelming and intimidating.
*There may seem like days/nights that you just can't make it/do it anymore...you will. Just stick to it, you will get through this.
*stay away from malignant students.
*live close to school (mostly if you have family)
*use your resources (other students, student services, preceptor coordinators)

There are many more, these are the ones that come to mind right away-- i'll randomly post more as they come

Thankfully I don't think I'll need private loans on top of the stafford loans, so I didnt fill out another promissary note, just the Master one that the FA office gave me. So I dont know if you would need to fill out a separate promissary note or not.

P.S. Glad you enjoyed your trip down here, sorry the weather wasn't that great when you came down, you just missed the good weather. Anyhow, I look forward to meeting all of you guys when you finally get settled down here.

When I was on campus in January, the registrar gave me a copy of the 02-03 calendar. I've been using it to guestimate what happens when as far as classes, exams, and breaks go. The lady behind the desk didn't seem to think any major changes were going to be present on the 03-04 version, so I've been using this years calendar to help make my future plans. I'll attach a copy of it below.

Here's summer and fall:

Attachments

• summer fall.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 111
Here's winter 02-summer03:

Attachments

• winter spring summer.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 107
Is anyone aware of someone from AZCOM matching for derm?

I'm pretty sure someone in this year's class did it in the MD match. I will double check, though!

blehhhh who wants to do derm? It's grody. I just don't understand it.

kristin, you mean popping zits doesn't sound fun to you;) ;)
I found some slightly older match results at azcomstudents.org this is actually a really good resource as far as student info goes. I mailed my THE loans master promissary note today :eek: --- this is really going to happen!!!!!!

derm is:
Rash
zits
rash
zits
dry skin
wrinkles
rash
zits
rash
zits

no fun for me, thanks
I'm going to medical school so that I'll like MY JOB, not just my time off.
I am so dang tired. Sorry if I am so grouchy.

Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while... I've been pretty busy with Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Anyway, I'm not too sure about derm, but I have met DO's who practice opthamology and anesthesiology in the Air Force. Not sure where they went to school though.

I am just getting excited as time grows closer to matriculation! I can't wait to meet you all. Hope everyone is doing well.

Cyndi

Hello All. Greetings from the Big Easy! I am also another member of the Class of 2007 at AZCOM. This is my first entry to this forum. I have enjoyed reading backgrounds on different people from our class, and I look forward to meeting a number of you soon.

I am 33 , married and we have a 6 mo. old daughter (and a beagle). We are all looking forward to going from one hot climate to another hot climate.

The loan info and housing info from everyone has been useful. Thanks. We will have to find a place when we visit later this Spring. Any new housing or apt. info is appreciated.

Hook 'em Horns,
B

B-- welcome to the group!! New Orleans, so are you going to any of the games this week:D

As far as housing goes, there are apartments quite close to school, the sage stone (i think is what they are called), that allow dogs. Another allows dogs a few minutes from the school, really new, really nice, and pretty expensive is called the lodge. I'll double check the names and try and get you internet addresses if you'd like. We have 8 month old triplets (bbg) so our kidlets can get together and play.

Cyndi, how involved are you in iraqi freedom?? I have been wondering where you've been as of late....take care of yourself!

Hey Jhug,

Yes, I am hoping to catch the games since I am a Longhorn U-grad. However, that $$$$ thing comes into play. If I can find tickets at a reasonable price, I'll go. Most likely, I'll be watching it on the tube. Maybe AZCOM financial aid can get me scholarship $$$$ for NCAA tickets.

It is nice to know there are other students with kiddos fresh off the press. Triplets, Wow! I cannot imagine.

Thanks for the housing info. I have no idea where we will live yet. I have to get all my loan info. completed as well. I am thinking I will go with THE as well. The fin aid info on this forum was helpful.

Look forward to meeting you and others.
B

Hey all,

Don't forget that our last deposit of $1000.00 is due on 04/11/03. Take care.

Kevin:)

I am curious to know what you all think about the thread in this forum regarding the AZCOM survey results. be honest.

I posted my uninformed opinion there, but I'm suspicious of any survey clearly geared towards proving a point, as that survey was. It seemed less a survey designed to gauge opinion than one to make that opinion known to the faculty. The fact that a minority of students responded reinforces that suspicion. If, as is the case with most such surveys, only the moderately discontented students responded, it would seem that the overall student body is unusually happy.

But I *would* be interested in what current students say about it. Always interesting to hear about such things in context.

Although I don't know who conducted the survey and what kind of people were given the opportunity to respond, the part about the clinical education does make me worry a little. I wonder what about it is unsatisfying to them? Did they have to set up all their own roations, or did they get crappy preceptors, or what? If there are problems, what are they doing to fix it? I would like some input from some students who actually are doing their MS III and IV years to see what they have to say. Dr. Niki tay what do you think?

I am not sure what survey you guys are referring to???? I would like to say that I think that you guys are getting all worked up over nothing. I have been thoroughly impressed with AZCOM and all the help they have provided me. They have always been prompt and courteous and they even sent us a Christmas card for gosh sakes. I know other people who have decided to attend other schools and those people have not heard anything from their schools at all after sending in their $$$$$$$$$$$.
You guys are forgetting that we do not live in a perfect world (note Iraqi Freedom). I know that medical school will be all that we make it. I know that I will have a wonderful experience at AZCOM and will end up as a finely trained physician. I think that you should not put so much pressure on your decisions since there is no going back now. I know that I made the right decision to attend AZCOM and after we all get there and if we work as a team, I think that you will realize that your decision was the right one.

Kevin

Kevin,

There's a survey posted on the osteo and pre-osteo forum that seems to reflect some discontent about certain aspects of AZCOM's administration, price, etc. Personally, I don't feel it's all that relevant. One of my big reasons for choosing AZCOM (and cancelling nearly all allo/osteo interviews after the visit to Phoenix) is that I've heard remarkably little complaining about it from the students, which is unusual. As some have mentioned before on this thread also, it's amazing how light on the feet the school is....always building, always changing. It's a gem.

Just wanted to add a few of my impressions about the survey. It's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

1) Someone else mentioned this as well, but vocal dissension gets people's attention. Is this a ploy to help out future AZCOM students (us)? I hope so.

2) Notice how the satisfaction in the didactic cirriculum really went up among 3rd and 4th years? It seems like people appreciate things more when they get a little hindsight. I wonder what AZCOM grads now in the first couple years of residency think about the clinical program, now that they know what is actually required for residency.

3) Given that many 4th years are out of AZ for their rotations, I wonder what they think comparing rotations in AZ. I also wonder how many of these people actually participated in the survey.

4) No matter how good (or bad) things are, there is always room for improvement. Let's just hope admin is proactive, and hope that the upper years are more interested in actually solving problems than simply whining. (I have no reason to believe that they aren't trying to make things better, BTW).

I apreciate your responses. I certainly agree with the points that have been raised. I wasn't implying that this survey would ever change my mind about my choice, I feel very confident in my choice. I suspect that at every school there are things that students dont like, so that is not a real concern. However, I just think that if there is something that has been a concern for some of the students that perhaps if we are able to find out what it is, then we can be better prepared and then hopefully it won't be as much of a problem when we get to that point. I don't expect any program to be perfect, but if I can have an idea of where the bumps in the road are, then I think things will go a little smoother. So, I agree, not really relevent, but why not go in with our eyes open and be ready for things. :)

my opinion of this "survey" is that far less than half took the thing so it in NO WAY represents the majority at school. I also find it odd that no student has attached their name to it-- most anonymous material is really biased/personally driven. Finally, i am assuming this was done by a student. Who in med school has the free time to make up such a wonderfully detailed powerpoint presentation? Lots of free time usually means you aren't studying, not studying usually means you are not performing well in school, not performing well in school usually means you are not content with where you are at (and it is usually the institutions fault;) ), and not being content means that EVERYONE around you can't be content either. Some of the best advice i got while visiting the school recently was "stay away from malignant students", this has a slightly malignant look to me. Literally everyone i have spoken to, MS1, MS2, MS3, and MS4 have been really positive about the school and would/do recommend it as a super place to receive your medical school education. I feel this is the place for me and i am confident Midwestern University will take me wherever i want to go.

Hi guys -
it's me, kristin, 2nd year at AZCOM. I don't know what survey you are all specifically referring to, but there is a survey that we (the students) implemented last year to give the administration some feedback last year. We just finished half of it for this year and it was presented to the administration (the president just got the info on Wednesday).

The students determine what questions to ask on the survey. The students respond to the survey (overall response rate was 49% which, yes, is not a majority, but if you know anything about surveys, is a damn good response rate), the students do the data crunching, and the students present the info to the admin. The person who came up with this idea last year is actually fairly happy with the school, she just wanted the admin to know our concerns. I helped on many aspects of the survey, and I can guarantee it is not done by a few discontents.

This survey is an example as to why AZCOM is so awesome. The fact that we had FULL administration support to do it, the fact that they are responsive to our concerns, that the president met with the suvey chairs to discuss the outcomes of it, etc. Of course there are things that we think need fixing at our school, but the fact that administration wants to know what we think and wants to work with us is just amazing.

Just wanted you to get some official info. Of course I could be totally discussing something you weren't referring to, but I thought you'd all want to know!

kristing,

I think it is great that AZCOM students take the initiative to improve their school. If there is something wrong, rather than sitting around and complaining about it--they are actually doing something about it, making AZCOM better for themselves and future students. So, Kudos to you and the others who are helping to improve our school.

I would like to add that a school that takes into consideration what the students think and feel is a school that I feel comfortable attending.

BTW, the AZCOM admissions staff has been so courteous and helpful throughout the entire process. Their professionalism shines. Because I am in the military and working longer hours these days, my husband has had to sacrifice his employment to provide childcare for our daughter. After only one e-mail to the office, they promptly replied to my request for a deposit postponement. Can't get any better than patriotic and compassionate support when I need it the most.

Hope everyone is well. And I look forward to seeing those of you taking the AF HPSP at COT this summer. I plan to attend the June session.

Cyndi

kristing-- i am super happy/relieved to know we see eye to eye:D

I could understand if 10% had taken the survey and felt the way they did, but 48%, that is a lot of the students. Even if not the majority. The fact is that AZCOM does have problems with U of A when it comes to rotations. U of A does not like DOs and since they pay large sums to hospitals that train their students, they can dictate who can and can't do rotations at the hospitals. Therefore, AZCOM students must often scramble to get good rotations in small towns and outside of the state. This is not the easiest thing and can result in the education and training of AZCOM students to be compromised. I really would be more interested in finding out what graduates from AZCOM have to say. Either way, hope all ends well.