AZCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

And if you dont have enough? Guess you might be taking a summer course at the community college eh? Yikes.

There should be no way that I don't have enough chem credits. I took gen chem back in 96/97, 3 credit hours for lecture, 1 for lab. Although I did use grade replacement to get rid of my lecture grade so I don't know if that means they won't count my credits for it. Anyway but then at UTA I took Chem 1301 (3 credits), Chem 1302 (3 credits) and the lab for 2 credits. Last time I checked 3+3+2=8. If you include my first 4 hours that's 12 hours I spent in gen chem.

By the way, I'm pretty sure no one wants to see me dance unless you're looking for a good laugh. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the letter today!! Woo hoo!! :D Although it does say I'm missing 2 Hrs. General Chemistry w/lab. :eek:

I double checked AACOMAS and I do have enough Gen Chem so I will just have to call them on Monday.

It is probably an error on their part. My letter said the same thing, but I called and they fixed it. So do call and clear it up.

So did anyone get an interview invite email last week? Just trying to figure out how much longer they will be interviewing. Thanks!

Ontario....more specifically near Niagara Falls. :cool:
My one and only concern is that i'm gonna miss the snow! I have a need to ski!!!! i hear some snow-caps arent too far away thou :thumbup:.

And thanks! I'm definitely pumped for the upcoming madness, including getting a student visa....damn
Go Canada. I am Canadian as well. American by birth, but I am the only American in my family. The rest are from Toronto. My baby boy is due on July 1 (Canada Day). Already a true Canadian..

Yo east/west...any military HPSP people in your class? Am considering that as a way to pay for it all....

I was a Hospital Corpsman in the NAVY (oh here it comes, the class tune from the Village People, In the Navy) hehehe and now I am in the UTARNG Field Artillery. How bout you? Were you in?

Electronics technician, USN. At my send off for boot, they played that song so many times I considered breaking the sterio!:)

Conversation just now between my husband and I:

Me: What do you call someone from Utah? A Utahian?
Husband: Mormon.

:lol:

There should be no way that I don't have enough chem credits. I took gen chem back in 96/97, 3 credit hours for lecture, 1 for lab. Although I did use grade replacement to get rid of my lecture grade so I don't know if that means they won't count my credits for it. Anyway but then at UTA I took Chem 1301 (3 credits), Chem 1302 (3 credits) and the lab for 2 credits. Last time I checked 3+3+2=8. If you include my first 4 hours that's 12 hours I spent in gen chem.

By the way, I'm pretty sure no one wants to see me dance unless you're looking for a good laugh. :smuggrin:

There were all kinds of problems with mine. Mainly they wanted transcripts from schools I've never attended. I called and told them about it, they cleared it up in less than 5 mins. No sweat. I'm sure you can do the same.

For all those who are sitting on the MWU waiting list, there may be a spot opening up real soon. I just got the good word from my #1 :D

I can't wait to meet everyone.... I am planing to go down there in MAy to look for apts an all...anyone coming that time?!

When I logged on tonight and saw the last post was from SUNSHINE08 I freaked out. "who's using my name" I was very confused until I remembered that I was SUNNY, not Sunshine. It was a wierd sensation. Like cyber, avatar identity theft or something. I figured it out. Deep cleansing breaths. Hi, Sunshine. You gave me quite a fright!:luck:

hi...sunny08 ( my evil twin hehe..)
ys, i too got confused for a sec here lol... howz it going!!

I was accepted to AZCOM in Nov, accepted the invite and am an active duty Air Force 1st Lieutenant applying for HPSP. Just FYI, the board meets April 16, and all of your information is due by April 4th including a physical. I also applied to USUHS, but won't hear back from them until next month. If you have any military related questions, feel free to ask me. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Go Canada. I am Canadian as well. American by birth, but I am the only American in my family. The rest are from Toronto. My baby boy is due on July 1 (Canada Day). Already a true Canadian..

AMAZINGGGGG
so did you go to UofT? totally impressed that theres another canadian...def thought i was the only one. and congrats with the baby....tell him i'm very proud of him (i guess when he's born :rolleyes:).
so wait, since ur technically american you dont need to get a student visa rite? i'm so envious, as if i want MORE paperwork.

ET equals Twidget right? hehehe just ribbin ya. Do you plan on going back in the Navy as a Doctor this time around? I plan on using the HPSP, and letting the military pay it all back for me. hehehe Then retire and golf all day long. Simple life really. Just getting there will be tough.

Yup, I'm a Twidget!:D Still AD, so they are DEFINITELY paying for it. Thank goodness. I never found $200,000 in my Easter basket (or Christmas stocking, or birthday presents...), so I could never do this otherwise. Definitely looking forward to the simple life after retirement. I think I'll travel the world...:)

I'm a first year at AZCOM...I would be more than happy to answer any questions for anyone that has some.

Do me a favor though, and keep the questions to a minimum each PM...that way I dont time out when I try to respond to all of the questions, its a pain.

Do me a favor though, and keep the questions to a minimum each PM...that way I dont time out when I try to respond to all of the questions, its a pain.

Yeah, that was my PM, sorry. (Thank you so much for responding though!) It's such a nightmare when that happens especially when you just spent close to an hour writing one. I've had that happen to me as well and I pretty much just stared at the screen in disbelief. Then I cried.

I've learned my lesson though, and now I always "copy" it real fast with my mouse before submitting it. That way it's at least saved on my computer's memory and I can paste it if needed. Sure enough, it's happened again, but I've beat the system. :smuggrin:

AMAZINGGGGG
so did you go to UofT? totally impressed that theres another canadian...def thought i was the only one. and congrats with the baby....tell him i'm very proud of him (i guess when he's born :rolleyes:).
so wait, since ur technically american you dont need to get a student visa rite? i'm so envious, as if i want MORE paperwork.
yes, american... no, more paperwork

I was active duty in the USAF for 11 years as an orthopedic surgical tech. got out and now will be headed for AZCOM! can't wait to start making money for doing something i did for peanuts for years.

Did you know about the 20k bonus when you sign up for HPSP? They pay it after the first month of school. Always nice hehehe

D

I found out last week when I got my final select letter! I can't believe they're actually going to PAY me! Score!

I found out last week when I got my final select letter! I can't believe they're actually going to PAY me! Score!

So....dinner on you then? ;)

So....dinner on you then? ;)

Absolutely. Provided you can get to SC by dinner tonight! Hope you don't mind...um...I have no food in my house except generic Special K. So, if you like that, then come on over!:)

Yeah, that was my PM, sorry. (Thank you so much for responding though!) It's such a nightmare when that happens especially when you just spent close to an hour writing one. I've had that happen to me as well and I pretty much just stared at the screen in disbelief. Then I cried.

I've learned my lesson though, and now I always "copy" it real fast with my mouse before submitting it. That way it's at least saved on my computer's memory and I can paste it if needed. Sure enough, it's happened again, but I've beat the system. :smuggrin:
Speaking of that...i'll try and answer some more questions ...

My Interact Now account finally changed. It took about a week after I added my student ID number! I really AM accepted. They finally updated it. Very excited. :luck:

My Interact Now account finally changed. It took about a week after I added my student ID number! I really AM accepted. They finally updated it. Very excited. :luck:

Isn't that exciting?! Mine changed five or so days ago. Good times! Although, we need to get more people from our class on the discussion boards on Interact. I think it's a pretty good resource for housing, roommates, questions, etc. Oh, and if you haven't joined the Facebook group, do it! :D

Isn't that exciting?! Mine changed five or so days ago. Good times! Although, we need to get more people from our class on the discussion boards on Interact. I think it's a pretty good resource for housing, roommates, questions, etc. Oh, and if you haven't joined the Facebook group, do it! :D

I actually didn't realize there were discussion boards on interact.

I actually didn't realize there were discussion boards on interact.

me either.

I don't have/want a facebook account, so you won't find me there. But I'll talk/type all day long here.:):luck:

My account changed because I was accepted into Midwestern's biomedical science program in Downers Grove. I am still waiting to hear back from AZCOM though. Anyone else still waiting other than me?

does anyone have a booklist for MS1, or know which histology text is good to start preparing for the firestorm that is to come?

does anyone have a booklist for MS1, or know which histology text is good to start preparing for the firestorm that is to come?

Booklist - I wouldnt worry about it too much, most people dont get 1/3rd of the books they recommend and or 'require'.
---for example, Biochem...never bought a book for it...will buy one for board prep, and thats it....the packets and stacks of materials they give you are what they test from, and you dont have all day to spin your wheels, so you will be predominantly be studying from the given material.

Histo -The only one I would say "go get it" is Wheater's Functional Histology Atlas.

The best thing for Histo, in conjunction with that book though, is Histotime...a program that most current MSI's will pass down to you. If you arent so lucky and your big bro/sis didnt give you a copy, there will be copies floating around from people that did get them handed down. Just make a copy of it....I tell you what, after using Histotime, every Histo test was a cakewalk.

As far as studying ahead of time...I would focus on Anatomy if anything. BUT, I didnt take Anatomy in undergrad, did no prep for it, yet will probably be a teaching assistant for your class....so it just goes to show that prior knowledge isnt paramount...just make it count when you start.

Developmental Embryo - its coupled with Histo as a class, but the material is very different...the best stuff for it is in the library as a resource, the one book they 'require' isnt that great, but helps in some parts...I wouldnt cross that bridge until you come to it

I called admissions today because I have not heard anything. I asked if the class is full and she said oh No. She made it sound like it wasn't even close to being full. She said they will be interviewing until the end of May. Just wanted to let everyone that is still waiting like myself know that AZCOM is not over!

Like Ki45toryu pointed out, don't buy books yet. many you won't need, a lot of the recommended books change from year to year, and if your lucky - your big brother/sister will give you some of their old books.

A few books that will benefit you to own for first quarter are Netter's Atlas (you'll get free), Rohen's Atlas and Wheaters Atlas of Histology. The rest of the histo/embryo/anatomy books you can get from the library. They had us using a terrible Embryo book last year and hopefully they will change back to the previous text. If you can swing it, Langman's embryology is a great book and is very handy to own but definitely not necessary.

Even if you had the cash to buy all the recommended/required books, it would not be of any significant benefit because you most likely will not have time to read them.

If you are going to do anything over the Summer, start looking at back and upper extremity anatomy. Even then, its not necessary. Like Ki45, I had no anatomical training before AZCOM and I will probably TA or tutor for your class as well.

Just enjoy your Summer!

I would love to hear more about the big brother/big sister thing. I don't think anyone told us about that on our interview day.

I would love to hear more about the big brother/big sister thing. I don't think anyone told us about that on our interview day.

From what i've heard all the MS-II's get a first year (thou i'm not sure how this is gonna work out since there will be an extra 100 of us) and they act as a mentor. I guess they kinda show you the ropes, maybe hand down some books and/or knowledge about how to get thru first year. hence the whole big bro/sis thing. They're just there for you if you need them.

thats all i got, someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but thats what i've been told by a first year student at AZCOM.

hope that helps a bit EEL. :)

An MSII will be assigned to you...and they will contact you over the summer. It really all depends on you and the MSII in terms of what kind of relationship you have.

Most people have had great experiences with it...some didnt believe the MSII was helpful enough...you kinda run the gambit on it. We are contemplating a change in the system so that MSII's that want to do it sign up...that way an MSII might have 2 or 3 little sis's/bro's, but they will be doing it out of their choice and should be more helpful to you then.

I have a great big bro, and we are friends. If I need anything he is willing to help out. Chances are all of your experiences will be similar, and we are working hard to ensure that will be the case.

Some of my classmates have 'adopted' big brothers/sisters if the person they were with wasnt quite working out for them.

hi all, i got a veryyy late interview for april 4th, i was just wondering if i get a hotel for thursday night and have to check out friday morning before my interview (since they basically last all afternoon) what did everybody do with their suitcase/belongings?
please reply asap! i'm trying to book my hotel as soon as possible :)
thanks a bunch!
-Joli

hi all, i got a veryyy late interview for april 4th, i was just wondering if i get a hotel for thursday night and have to check out friday morning before my interview (since they basically last all afternoon) what did everybody do with their suitcase/belongings?
please reply asap! i'm trying to book my hotel as soon as possible :)
thanks a bunch!
-Joli

This is a frequently asked question. Most hotels will hold your bags at the front desk after check-out. Alternatively, you could bring them to school and stash them at the admissions office, or else in the trunk of your rental car. Good luck with the interview!

thanks for the response....how far is the school from the phoenix airport? i was just gonna get a taxi cab instead of renting a car is this a bad idea?

thanks for the response....how far is the school from the phoenix airport? i was just gonna get a taxi cab instead of renting a car is this a bad idea?

It took me anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes so a cab would be freakin' expensive in my estimation. I also just left my luggage in my rental car.

thanks for the insight on the booklist. i haven't had any anatomy classes either, so i knew that was gonna be a learning curve. And the books i was just trying to spread them out so i wouldn't have to fork out max $$$ all at once for them, good to know that you really just need the notes and lecture tools. The big bro/sis thing really sounds like a great idea, and i definitely see how it has its advantages! Thanks again for the information!!

thanks for the insight on the booklist. i haven't had any anatomy classes either, so i knew that was gonna be a learning curve. And the books i was just trying to spread them out so i wouldn't have to fork out max $$$ all at once for them, good to know that you really just need the notes and lecture tools. The big bro/sis thing really sounds like a great idea, and i definitely see how it has its advantages! Thanks again for the information!!

I agree. I think the idea of having a big bro/sis sounds great. I would volunteer to be one too in the future. It will be interesting though with so many extra students this year.

Hi everyone.

I am an AZCOM grad, now finishing my intern year in FP at Univ of Nebraska in a combined Air Force program. I was prior AD before med school and am now on active duty once again. If you have any ?s about AZCOM, intern year or the Air Force please feel free to ask. Good luck to you all and congrats!! Med school is tough but definitely worth the effort.

Cyndi

MissMammele, I will also be there for interviews April 4....I am very excited. Perhaps we can carpool, I have already rented a car. Not sure yet where I am staying. If you are interested, let me know how to get ahold of you.

Just curious to see how everyone is finding an apartment. I live in Utah and don't know if it’s best to fly down to AZ and look at apartments, or to just find one online. I would like to go there and look at them, but it's too expensive. Any ideas?

I agree. I think the idea of having a big bro/sis sounds great. I would volunteer to be one too in the future. It will be interesting though with so many extra students this year.
It will likely be 1 of us (current MSI's) matched with 2 or 3 of you guys. Its all up to you and your big bro/sis to have a good relationship. I think we will be e-mailing you guys, just to say 'hey', as soon as the class is finalized.

So has anyone gotten an interview invite recently?

I got a recent interview invite for May 5. Do you think I can just call the office and ask them if there are still spots open? Also does anyone who has already been accepted have any interview tips?