AZCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you receive the invite? I'm still waiting to hear something.

Members don't see this ad.

i heard on wed this week and i just scheduled the day...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a recent interview invite for May 5. Do you think I can just call the office and ask them if there are still spots open? Also does anyone who has already been accepted have any interview tips?

hey...i'm interviewing on 5/5 as well.

Goodluck to both of you! Hopefully I will hear something this week :confused:

PM me if you have questions about the process. I was invited to interview candidates, but don't have the time this year....

AXEBJC - - -

Based on your stats (what you posted in a previous post) you should have received an invite for an interview. You may want to call admissions and ask for a status update on your application. If they do not give you good news about the progress of your application then I would write a letter of interest to AZCOM.

Thanks for the advice! I will call them tomorrow morning to see what they say.

What is the expected class size for '12?

So I was reading the LOR requirements for AZCOM and they seem a crazy to me

The applicant’s full legal name and social security number must be on the front page of the recommendation. Please provide this information to the evaluator

Am I really supposed to provide my soc# to all my LOR writers?

The applicant’s full legal name and social security number must be on the front page of the recommendation. Please provide this information to the evaluator

They didn't know or provide my SSN. Other schools say that too but I've never actually heard of it being a problem to not include it.

They didn't know or provide my SSN. Other schools say that too but I've never actually heard of it being a problem to not include it.

Great! I feel better...I think that's a pretty weird requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ya, I don't remember what I did? I knew everyone that wrote my letters of rec pretty well, so I don't think I had a problem with it if I did give it to them, but I definitely don't remember them including it on the letter. Its probably just something that makes it easier for admissions if there is more then one "john smith" or something like that?... so if your name is something that they can easily match your letters with your application, you should be fine.

Since I used interfolio, I just specified that my SS# be on the cover sheet thing that they sent with every letter. "Cover sheet" might not be the right name. I can't really remember. But interfolio sends a document with each letter that has your identifying information and you can specify that you want to include your SS# on there.

I just called admissions. I faxed them my updated MCAT score February 26th, but they did not post it on my application until March 3rd. Well, their deadline for secondary apps is March 1st. Because they didn't post it until a week after they received it, the committee might not even review my file. She said it will all depend on how many students who met the deadline decline their interview. If you do not plan on attending your AZCOM interview, please call and notify them rather than just a no show. That way the students who have not gotten in yet, have a shot at AZCOM. Thanks!

Hello All,

I just called the admissions office and they said I was on some wait-list for an interview. I just have a question, what is this? and it is likely to get off this list with an expected class size of 250

All the best

I thought it would be fun to let you all see what is happening at AZCOM, in terms of construction. The buildings are going up very quickly and from all appearances should be finished on time.

http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0003su8.jpg - This image is of the new auditorium taken from one of the rooms of Agave. There's nothing really to comment on the picture, unless you have specific questions.

http://img378.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0004hc5.jpg - The new auditorium will seat 2900 students and will divide into 6 classrooms. The middle houses a stage that can close off from the rest of the auditorium. The main auditorium divides into the remaining 5 classrooms. I'm told they will use this for graduation, seminars and conferences.

http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0005zd1.jpg - This is the new research building extension. They are almost done here.

http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0006sy2.jpg - This is the westside? of Glendale Hall. I know there is a live camera feed, but you can only see it from one direction. I took this image because this is the last wall for putting up bricks. It is a massive building, housing offices, an electronic testing center and the dental classrooms.

http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0007wm6.jpg - This image, I assume is from the main entrance to Glendale Hall.

http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0008rr6.jpg - All the construction at the auditorium has blocked the view of the gymnasium. As you can see it is going up very quickly as well. (Yes, it is behind the trees, I'll get a closer shot next time)

There are two other buildings I know of. One, the non-denominational church building is set to go between the auditorium and gym. The extension to student services is almost complete, but I didn't feel like walking that far:) If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll frequent this thread as often as I can to answer the Q's and if you all would like, I can post more pics as construction continues. Happy interviewing and congratulations to those who made it!

while i agree it is a very weird thing to ask for, i would recommend sending it if you can. I, as a Canadian, dont have an SSN, i have a social insurance number instead. Though i sent that number to all my LOR's, my DO did not put it in her letter. Unfortunately, many ppl misspell my last name, which happened with this letter. The doctor had typed it with an "L" instead of an "I" They had my application as incomplete for 2 months after i had sent everything in because they filed me as two different people. the DO sent my LOR 3 times and they kept saying they didnt receive it. please realize this was at ALL THE SCHOOLS I APPLIED TO. by the time i thought to call the schools to ask if my letter was misfiled it was too late for 3 of them to even grant me an interview. I'm not saying this will happen to you, and in the end i still got into a school i wished to attend. but it was crazy annoying and shouldnt have been. so if you dont mind giving it out, or if you know you have a weird last name, i'd give the SSN.
but thats just my opinion due to my sometimes crappy luck. :luck:

good luck!:thumbup:

Anybody have any advice on what they ask in the interviews at AZCOM? I'm interviewing there next week. I got an interview off the wait-list for the interview, and this is my top choice of schools to go to.

Woohoo! Goodluck at your interview. Have you checked out the database for interviews on here? At the very top of the page click database and med school and then AZCOM. That was helpful for me at another interview I had.

So it is possible to get an interview from the pre-interview waitlist. That's good news for me. How far in advance did you hear about your interview? When I talked to them on Monday, they made it sound like you could find out a week before the interview.

Woohoo! Goodluck at your interview. Have you checked out the database for interviews on here? At the very top of the page click database and med school and then AZCOM. That was helpful for me at another interview I had.

So it is possible to get an interview from the pre-interview waitlist. That's good news for me. How far in advance did you hear about your interview? When I talked to them on Monday, they made it sound like you could find out a week before the interview.

It is definitely possible but at this point I have no idea how likely it is. I got an interview from the pre-interview waitlist but I also sent in a letter of intent. Oh and this was back in December.

I would say your chances are still good for getting off the interview waitlist. There are apparently many spots still open, and from what I have heard they may be interviewing as late as July. That and I have heard stories, although very rare, of people getting accepted at the last minute (ie. during orientation) without even having an interview. So don't give up hope yet!

I got the interview about two weeks after they sent me the letter about being on the pre-interview wait-list. This was back in late January.

while i agree it is a very weird thing to ask for, i would recommend sending it if you can. I, as a Canadian, dont have an SSN, i have a social insurance number instead. Though i sent that number to all my LOR's, my DO did not put it in her letter. Unfortunately, many ppl misspell my last name, which happened with this letter. The doctor had typed it with an "L" instead of an "I" They had my application as incomplete for 2 months after i had sent everything in because they filed me as two different people. the DO sent my LOR 3 times and they kept saying they didnt receive it. please realize this was at ALL THE SCHOOLS I APPLIED TO. by the time i thought to call the schools to ask if my letter was misfiled it was too late for 3 of them to even grant me an interview. I'm not saying this will happen to you, and in the end i still got into a school i wished to attend. but it was crazy annoying and shouldnt have been. so if you dont mind giving it out, or if you know you have a weird last name, i'd give the SSN.
but thats just my opinion due to my sometimes crappy luck. :luck:

good luck!:thumbup:

Thanks for the advice. I will talk about it with my pre-med advisor. People have a tendency to add an "S" on the end of my last name, so I could see that happening to me...Man, the little things sure can get stressful

Does anyone know about what %age of AZCOM students are married or living with a significant other? Does AZCOM also create an environment to help the spouse/significant other of medical students adjust well to the new area and lifestyle?

Does anyone know about what %age of AZCOM students are married or living with a significant other? Does AZCOM also create an environment to help the spouse/significant other of medical students adjust well to the new area and lifestyle?

I'm not a student yet but I'm married and I'm sure a lot of other people will be too. They even have a Family Matters club and there is a mini orientation for spouses/SOs while we are having ours, much shorter though.

Not sure on exact numbers, but I know it is a lot. I'm married and I'm starting there this fall. I talked to others in my interview and there are apparently a lot of married students. AZCOM seemed pretty significant-other-friendly.

Wow how did you even find that?

I'm a sleuth. :smuggrin: I actually found it while searching for detailed information for our orientation.

For those of you who haven't gotten/seen this yet:

MIDWESTERN UNIVERSITY
Glendale Campus
19555 North 59th Avenue
Glendale, AZ 85308

OFFICE OF STUDENT SERVICES
Phone: (623) 572-3210 DRAFT-SUBJECT TO CHANGE
(623) 572-3357
Fax: (623) 572-3287

April 8, 2008

Dear Student Doctor:

Congratulations on your acceptance to Midwestern University! We thought it would be appropriate to give you an outline of your orientation program scheduled for August 27th, - 29th, 2008. Orientation schedules will be given to you during check-in, as schedules may be subject to change. Please be aware that attendance is mandatory for all three days of the orientation program. If, for any reason, you cannot attend orientation you will need to contact the AZCOM Dean’s Office at (623) 572-3300. You may dress casually for the orientation program, however please note that your picture ID and class composite will be taken on the first day of orientation. Please refrain from wearing a hat on that day. You may access a wide variety of information on the intranet by going to http://mwunet.midwestern.edu or http://online.midwestern.edu and navigating through specific program sites. You may access a “Vehicle Registration” form to be completed and brought with you to the “Taking Care of Business” portion of orientation. You will receive a parking sticker for your vehicle(s) upon your attendance at orientation.

On Wednesday, August 27th, you will be required to check-in in the Stagecoach Dining Hall in the Barrel Student Center Building II starting at 8:00 AM, which will immediately be followed by a continental breakfast. Following the continental breakfast, you will move to Ocotillo Lecture Halls E, F,& G where there will be a presentation by Dr. Ross Kosinski, Dean of Students who will introduce you to various Student Services related items. Next on the agenda will be a presentation from Aetna regarding the student health insurance program on campus followed by information pertaining to the dental insurance offered to students. The remainder of the orientation program for the day will include presentations from the various offices on campus. The day will conclude with the “Taking Care of Business” (TCB) portion of orientation where you will be able to register your vehicle, get fitted for your white coat, receive your mailbox key, and sign up for the student health/dental insurance. We will have a campus-wide BBQ at 4:30pm in the Stagecoach Dining Hall. Students from all programs are invited to the BBQ, as well as families & significant others.

On Thursday, August 28th, the orientation program will begin at 8:30 AM with a continental breakfast in Sahuaro A. Following the continental breakfast, Dr. Lori Kemper, Dean of AZCOM will give an overview of the AZCOM program and introduce you to some of the faculty members within the program. After Dr. Kemper’s welcome you will hear presentations from the Clinical Education faculty as well as the faculty from the OMM department. Lunch will immediately follow. Presentations by various faculty members and an orientation of the OMM lab will conclude the day.

On Friday, August 29th, the orientation program will begin at 8:00am with another continental breakfast in the Ocotillo Lobby. Immediately following the breakfast, Dr. Goeppinger, President and CEO of MWU, along with the Deans of each college will address all incoming students in the combined lecture halls of Ocotillo Hall. Following the President’s welcome, you will be given a presentation by the Office of Student Financial Services. Afterwards, a student panel discussion will be held so that you may ask questions of the current second year students. Classes will begin on Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008.

Student Services looks forward to working with you in continuing your education. If you have further questions regarding the orientation program, please feel free to call us at (623) 572-3210 or (623) 572-3357.

Sincerely,

Dr. Ross Kosinski Shannon Sesterhenn Julie High Horse Munstedt
Dean of Students Assistant Dean of Students Director of Student Activities

Jose Ponce Judith DeLorme-Loftus Kathy Gibson
Residential Life Student Counselor Administrative Coordinator

Thank you EEL08 and slim 78 for your input. I got accepted to AZCOM and Touro-NV, but am having trouble deciding which one to choose. However, I'm leaning more towards AZCOM, so we may meet someday. My girlfriend is moving in with me; I want to be in a university which will make the adjustment easier for both of us, especially for her.

Thank you EEL08 and slim 78 for your input. I got accepted to AZCOM and Touro-NV, but am having trouble deciding which one to choose. However, I'm leaning more towards AZCOM, so we may meet someday. My girlfriend is moving in with me; I want to be in a university which will make the adjustment easier for both of us, especially for her.

Not that you asked but....

I was accepted to both of those schools too. I chose AZCOM because the campus was prettier.

Okay that isn't the WHOLE reason but that is part of it. I also felt Vegas wasn't as family-friendly as I would have liked (we have a kid). And my wife wanted to live in AZ (she had some friends move there and speak highly of the area).

Not that you asked but....

I was accepted to both of those schools too. I chose AZCOM because the campus was prettier.

Okay that isn't the WHOLE reason but that is part of it. I also felt Vegas wasn't as family-friendly as I would have liked (we have a kid). And my wife wanted to live in AZ (she had some friends move there and speak highly of the area).

Plus slim and I will be at AZCOM so really it shouldn't even be a question for you. ;)

The cacti on that are so cute! If I end up going there next year I will be in shock for quite some time over the change in scenery and climate...I've lived surrounded by grass and northwesty stuff for so long...

It is so beautiful out there too so I doubt you would be disappointed. As I was driving back to the airport I kept glancing out the windows at the mountains while trying not to get into an accident. :p

It is so beautiful out there too so I doubt you would be disappointed. As I was driving back to the airport I kept glancing out the windows at the mountains while trying not to get into an accident. :p

LOL funny you say that...My inability to pay attention to the road, and not the scenary, is the reason my husband always drives (if we're together)...It's actually really funny how much it pisses him off when I drive and get distracted.

Just interviewed today! I'm typing this at the airport while I wait for my plane. lol... It was a nice campus and the interviewers were great folks. I liked it. Much better than the Touro-CA interview where the interviewers were too tired to look at me while I talked.

Just interviewed today! I'm typing this at the airport while I wait for my plane. lol... It was a nice campus and the interviewers were great folks. I liked it. Much better than the Touro-CA interview where the interviewers were too tired to look at me while I talked.
I met you today then...I'm glad you liked it. Have a safe trip back to Cali.

for those of you who just interviewed, what's the latest regarding how full the class is?

Does anyone know if the school is still offerring interview invites...or are they done for the season? I was placed on pre-interview "hold" and just wondering.

There are no more interview invites. I am on the pre-interview waitlist as well. If people cancel their interview, then you could possibly get that interview. That is what I was told when I called last week.

There are no more interview invites. I am on the pre-interview waitlist as well. If people cancel their interview, then you could possibly get that interview. That is what I was told when I called last week.

i don't understand how that can be b/c when i called a few weeks ago, they still had about 100 spots open...

They still have spots open, but they are no longer inviting people for future interviews. They are doing interviews next month, but the students who have an interview in May have already been notified. If the students who have an interview in May decline, then you can get pulled off the waitlist. That is what Mr. Walter told me.

They still have spots open, but they are no longer inviting people for future interviews. They are doing interviews next month, but the students who have an interview in May have already been notified. If the students who have an interview in May decline, then you can get pulled off the waitlist. That is what Mr. Walter told me.

ahh i see. thanks for the info.

ahh i see. thanks for the info.
Also, they don't have to fill all 250 or w/e spots..that is where it will be eventually but I imagine they could cap it at 200 for next year and maybe get to 250 for class of '13...maybe someone else more info on this.

Also, they don't have to fill all 250 or w/e spots..that is where it will be eventually but I imagine they could cap it at 200 for next year and maybe get to 250 for class of '13...maybe someone else more info on this.
I'm gonna be honest with you...odds are it wont be capped. Although they do not have to fill a 250 class, I know some very qualified applicants that got wait listed...so odds are if there are any spots left after the last interview week, then they will be filled by very good students.

I'm gonna be honest with you...odds are it wont be capped. Although they do not have to fill a 250 class, I know some very qualified applicants that got wait listed...so odds are if there are any spots left after the last interview week, then they will be filled by very good students.

Ki how did you get involved with the interview day? Did they recruit you or did you volunteer?