This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cristinayang16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always heard that getting into schools such as Columbia/Cornell/NYU/UCLA is hard obviously but I was wondering what they think of re invention? I did absolutely horrible my first year and decided that college wasn't for me and transferred to a different college. I have had nearly or close to a 4.0 gpa every semester since. Does that rise show strength and is there a chance for me? I have a lot of volunteering hours at one of the nation's best children's hospital (Cincinnati Children's) and research experience as well as plenty of shadowing and went overseas to Brazil over one winter break with Habitat for Humanity.

I also tried my best to make up for my freshman year grades by taking classes every summer until I was going to graduate. Does that show commitment? I heard Columbia likes such high incline?

I really just want to know if my first year gpa will kill my chances? Is it worth applying? Also forgot to mention I had a pretty good MCAT score that fits their median on most websites.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
N=1 but I have an SDN advisee who reinvented herself and got into Columbia.

No data for the other Manhattan Titans.

There are lot of schools for which you're competitive.

I have always heard that getting into schools such as Columbia/Cornell/NYU/UCLA is hard obviously but I was wondering what they think of re invention? I did absolutely horrible my first year and decided that college wasn't for me and transferred to a different college. I have had nearly or close to a 4.0 gpa every semester since. Does that rise show strength and is there a chance for me? I have a lot of volunteering hours at one of the nation's best children's hospital (Cincinnati Children's) and research experience as well as plenty of shadowing and went overseas to Brazil over one winter break with Habitat for Humanity.

I also tried my best to make up for my freshman year grades by taking classes every summer until I was going to graduate. Does that show commitment? I heard Columbia likes such high incline?

I really just want to know if my first year gpa will kill my chances? Is it worth applying? Also forgot to mention I had a pretty good MCAT score that fits their median on most websites.