Bad semester...will it hurt me?

Started by Halo13
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Halo13

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm having a really bad semester (it's my first semester as an Animal Science/pre-vet major) Two classes are really hurting me right now (planning on retaking them ASAP). I have probably about 2-3 years left in undergrad (technically I'm a junior but I changed majors last year). Will one bad semester hurt me or will I be ok if I redo both of the classes that are hurting me.
 
I really don't think one bad semester will hurt you too badly this early in the game but you are going to want to step it up in order to maintain a competitive GPA. If you don't do well in some intro/ lower division science course but get A's in the upper division classes I think it proves that you have learned the basic material and grown from your first semester. Hope that helps!
 
My last semester of undergrad was pretty bad. I had alwasy gotten As and Bs, but it was our "make-or-break year" (I was a Biochem major -somehow they save the hardest stuff till senior year!)

Plus I was working two part time jobs (stupid stupid). I ended up with Bs, one C, and one D- 😱 in P-chem.

If you are very worried about it you can do what I did - write a little supplemental letter with your application explaining why you had a bad semester. I told them that I was well aware of the emphasis they placed on grades, but that I had made a bad choice in choosing to work so much, and that I had *learned * from the experience and was dropping work hours to concentrate more on studies. If you were changing majors, etc I am sure they will understand. Everyone has an "oops" semester, it isn't a death sentence.