Bad to Take Physics at Community College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous.2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a first year at UCLA and am hoping to take physics at a CC close to home this summer. However, would this be looked down upon greatly by med schools? i have no physics background (never took physics in high school) and am afraid of not doing well in the physics series at UCLA. Please let me know how this may affect me when applying in the future. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a first year at UCLA and am hoping to take physics at a CC close to home this summer. However, would this be looked down upon greatly by med schools? i have no physics background (never took physics in high school) and am afraid of not doing well in the physics series at UCLA. Please let me know how this may affect me when applying in the future. Thank you!
Hello there Bruins!
Yes, totally. They are hugely against that; they do not want to see you take an alternative easy route.
Taking pre-reqs at CC while in 4 years is heavily scrutinized because they know the motif behind it (the exact motif you have right now).

Take Phys 6A-C. Though UCLA only offers Calculus based, I'm pretty sure you'll survive in there. It's for Life Science so you need Calculus for Life Science (Math 3A-C) previously.

At my CC we had to take a Physics w/ lab prereq before we got into Calculus based physics, not to mention we had to take Calculus before taking that class as well. I waited until it was time for me to go back to my main college to take Physics because its a waste of time taking a prereq at CC when you don't need to.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly speaking one-preq at a CC won't be so detrimental that you get denied. You should have a very good reason as to why you're taking it there instead of taking it at your university. That being said, I wouldn't do it, but it's up to you.

Would this go for math as well? I've noticed that the precalculus at a four year private university was at the level of college algebra at the local CC/state college.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Taking pre-reqs at CC while in 4 years is heavily scrutinized because they know the motif behind it (the exact motif you have right now)

Motif? Is this an English Literature class? :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

OP, take my advice with a grain of salt, but here it comes: take the class where you think you will get the higher grade! I took all of my pre-reqs at a CC AFTER I graduated with my BA. Five acceptances later and doing well in my first year, I couldn't be happier with my choices.

I think people, especially on this forum, tend to overemphasize the bias against CC. Do you want to know how many interviewers asked me about taking my pre-reqs at a CC? Zero! Nevertheless, there are schools out there that frown upon CC credits (e.g. BU), but that simply meant that they didn't get my $ for an application.

Reactions: 1 users
While there still are a few schools that will not accept prereqs at CC and that many schools recommend or prefer 4 year schools, a prereq or two at a CC is unlikely to have any impact upon your application chances
I used to believe that any CC work while in 4 years was bad.. Wrong info given again by me, I am very sorry OP!( Please forgive me!)
Then I think going to SMC is good, except you might have to take precalc or better ( it is up to Trig for LACC)

I used to believe that any CC work while in 4 years was bad.. Wrong info given again by me, I am very sorry OP!( Forgive me)
Then I think going to SMC is good, except you might have to take precalc or better ( it is up to Trig for LACC)
It is frowned upon, but it isn't a death sentence. Yet again, you need to have a good explanation if you end up taking it at a cc.

Depends, with 30-40+ courses on a transcript and whole application to review, one or two prereqs at a CC likely wont get much notice at most medical schools
That's what I'm trying to get at.

OP, take my advice with a grain of salt, but here it comes: take the class where you think you will get the higher grade! I took all of my pre-reqs at a CC AFTER I graduated with my BA. Five acceptances later and doing well in my first year, I couldn't be happier with my choices.

I think people, especially on this forum, tend to overemphasize the bias against CC. Do you want to know how many interviewers asked me about taking my pre-reqs at a CC? Zero! Nevertheless, there are schools out there that frown upon CC credits (e.g. BU), but that simply meant that they didn't get my $ for an application.
This is a relief... Hopefully this will be true for me as well. I used to think that ALL med schools frowned upon CC work (but okay to take them as postbacc) but now I have some hope for Allo med schools as well!

Hello there Bruins!
Yes, totally. They are hugely against that; they do not want to see you take an alternative easy route.
Taking pre-reqs at CC while in 4 years is heavily scrutinized because they know the motif behind it (the exact motif you have right now).

Take Phys 6A-C. Though UCLA only offers Calculus based, I'm pretty sure you'll survive in there. It's for Life Science so you need Calculus for Life Science (Math 3A-C) previously.

I have taken calculus. I did well academically my first quarter and so far this second quarter. Am just worried about physics as this is the arguably the hardest of the med school per reqs. I know my father did this; however that was 30 years ago so I am unsure whether or not the legitimacy of taking courses st a CC still holds true

Depends, with 30-40+ courses on a transcript and whole application to review, one or two prereqs at a CC likely wont get much notice at most medical schools

So you believe that it is okay for me to take physics at a community college? I will also take psychology and sociology, just to fulfill those two new requirements for good background for the new MCAT

Last edited:
So you believe that it is okay for me to take physics at a community college? I will also take psychology and sociology, just to fulfill those two new requirements for good background for the new MCATS
Hello,

EDIT

What about physics at a Cal state?

I took the general chemistry pre req at CC and was asked about it in one interview. If you do go that route it is recommended that you take an advanced course in that subject at your 4-year university to demonstrate you are able to handle the rigor. (In my case, I took orgo at my school). I think you will be okay but if you can avoid it then it will be better for your application. Good luck!

EDIT

What about physics at a Cal state?
For those who is answering- Cal State University is 4-years.
University of California / Cal State University / California Community College

CSULA's Physics 1100 and 1200 are General Physics 1 & 2 and they are algebra based.
Not sure if they'll know that it's a sequence; these aren't named Gen. Physics I/II like SMC or LACC would do.