Baylor Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
drchekhov said:
Congrats, pcarlson!

I called today to check on transcripts. They received the one from UT, but I'm not sure about the one from my study abroad affiliate. Supposedly they shouldn't even need this; the grade shows up on my UT transcript. But I wonder if I've confused Baylor by listing my affiliate.

Oh, this waiting is no fun. Espeically because the outer screen on my flip-phone has gone kaput, so whenever I receive a call, I have to answer it without knowing who it's from.

But in perspective, I assume that everyone here already has at least one other acceptance. Best of luck to all.

Where else have you been accepted, drchekhov? Good luck!! I hope we hear soon! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

good luck to you guys waiting on Baylor! kickass program.

ThaJewelofPR said:
Where else have you been accepted, drchekhov? Good luck!! I hope we hear soon! :luck:
Just UT Houston, my first choice from the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, what do y'all think is the SD around Baylor's MCAT average?

I've always wondered about SD's for all schools. Wish this was published in USNEWS; it would be a huge help when developing lists for primaries.

drchekhov said:
Out of curiosity, what do y'all think is the SD around Baylor's MCAT average?

I've always wondered about SD's for all schools. Wish this was published in USNEWS; it would be a huge help when developing lists for primaries.
ah, another statistician. i totally agree with you, its a concern ive voiced before. ive always felt mean only tells half the story. i think ppl sort of guess intuitively at what distributions are, but theres really no telling. publishing sd could have psychological effects, maybe they dont want to hurt ppls feelings or something. that is, if ppl in fact know how to find where they lie on distributions without having someone figure it out for them. sd is a legitimate point i think--maybe raise it with aamc? maybe not, aamc is a massive bureaucracy, why would they care

when does baylor notify? i interviewed on february 10. i dont really care if i get in or not anymore. i just want to know when to expect news and through what means

back to SD--i think for baylor it is probably high. there are out of staters with very high stats who skew that end of the curve. actually i dont know...this is an interesting question you ask. im sure the 85% in state vs 15% out of state (with markedly higher stats) has something to do with it

BCM is going 85/15 now? Back when I was in college, it was 70/30. What happened, state funding changed BCM's admissions policy?

i couldve sworn its 85/15, but if its slipped to that from 70/30 i imagine that has negative implications. candidly, i was disappointed with the caliber of many of the interviewees at my session. but it was a late session. well, they were just interviewees. still...the thought that some of them even had a chance to get in was unsettling. call it elitist, but i did say it was candid

I've heard 70/30 but don't really know for sure. I also heard something that nearly half instate people recieve an offer but, that seems too high. Oh and congrats PCarlson hopeful BCM will show some love to some more early interview people soon. This waiting is not fun and Senioritus doesn't help. Good luck to everyone else waiting too.

ThaJewelofPR said:
Good :luck: to you too, BaylorGuy! Did you end up matching at UTSW or UTMB?

I matched at UTMB....was flat out rejected at UTSW (not suprised though, i felt that my interview really sucked).

Lets hope BCM gives me some good news.

I thought that for UTSW it was about 86% in-state, but for BCM it was more like 80%...I could be wrong, though...

Shredder said:
i couldve sworn its 85/15, but if its slipped to that from 70/30 i imagine that has negative implications. candidly, i was disappointed with the caliber of many of the interviewees at my session. but it was a late session. well, they were just interviewees. still...the thought that some of them even had a chance to get in was unsettling. call it elitist, but i did say it was candid
They may have thought the same of you.

in 2004 UTSW had 14% OOS students. But that was based on who matriculated. Based on total acceptances, non-Texans comprised 20% of the offers (which includes the waitlist). I wonder how UTSW can do that with the 90% rule. Perhaps UTSW relies less on state funding than the other UT institutions? I always got the feeling UTSW has been trying to separate itself from the rest of the 'pack.'

BaylorGuy said:
I matched at UTMB....was flat out rejected at UTSW (not suprised though, i felt that my interview really sucked).

Lets hope BCM gives me some good news.

I interviewed at 12 schools around the country, and I thought SW was one of my best interviews. I have offers so far from utsa, nyu, columbia, and miami, but i flatout got rejected from SW. When I found that out a month ago, it felt like a major set back to not even get my top texas public school choice when i had pretty much thought it was a sure thing. Anyways, I just wanted to encourage you because I just yesterday heard from Baylor after more than 4 months of waiting! Good luck, and hopefully we'll be classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bernito said:
They may have thought the same of you.
unlikely; few ppl have the same keen eye

ThaJewelofPR said:
I thought that for UTSW it was about 86% in-state, but for BCM it was more like 80%...I could be wrong, though...

I keep thinking that BCM is closer to the 65-70% instate. i dont know, i'm pretty sure it differs each year depending on the candidates. I remember hearing something that because they get funding from the state they have to accept a majority of Texas residents....so realistically it could be 51% if they wanted to.

I dont want to do any research into Texas law (because its so convoluted), but if someone is bored enough, go for it.

i just checked a us news med school guide i have, and it said sure enough that student body for 2003 was 85% in state. check msar if anyone has it

Do you guys think there will be any phone calls today? I hate this!

Shredder said:
unlikely; few ppl have the same keen eye
Im sure thats what Trump says too as he adjusts his toupee.

Shredder, just to let you know, the candidates at the earlier interviews were definitely well-qualified...I think it's just an issue of whether or not they end up coming to the school or not.

And I'd be fine with the SD being a little higher if it meant friends of ours like our MPH-type friend whose name begins with an A get in. Good luck on hearing soon.

tansuperman said:
I interviewed at 12 schools around the country, and I thought SW was one of my best interviews. I have offers so far from utsa, nyu, columbia, and miami, but i flatout got rejected from SW. When I found that out a month ago, it felt like a major set back to not even get my top texas public school choice when i had pretty much thought it was a sure thing. Anyways, I just wanted to encourage you because I just yesterday heard from Baylor after more than 4 months of waiting! Good luck, and hopefully we'll be classmates.

So are you leaning toward Baylor, tan?

I just got an email from the admissions office telling me that I'm missing a transcript? I was wondering if they did this for everybody, or whether you thought that they have good news waiting for me?

Also, at the interview they say that the ratio is 70/30 or about 100 in-state and 50 out of state.

Did anyone who send an LOI to Baylor (specifically to Dr. Bradshaw) receive a signed letter from him acknowledging the receipt of it?

ROOwala06 said:
Did anyone who send an LOI to Baylor (specifically to Dr. Bradshaw) receive a signed letter from him acknowledging the receipt of it?
I did. I was soooooooo excited when I saw I had a letter from Baylor in the mail, and then it turned out it was just "the thank you for your continued interest and we will add it to your file" notice.

Hey pcarlson05 or tansuperman - since you guys interviewed last semester, I'm assuming you sent in your transcript originally missing fall semester grades. Did you guys send in an updated one after you completed the semester?

Thanks!

drchekhov said:
So are you leaning toward Baylor, tan?

I have to admit that I am leaning towards Baylor right now. BUT having to decline a school that's hard to get into is like having to drop an A in a class cause it's your lowest test grade.

Oh and one more thing about SW, I have strong suspicions that they were especially looking at applicants with research experience. I had none and I know people that got interviewed at Harvard and didn't get accepted to SW that also had none. Anyone find this to be somewhat true?

FryingPan said:
Hey pcarlson05 or tansuperman - since you guys interviewed last semester, I'm assuming you sent in your transcript originally missing fall semester grades. Did you guys send in an updated one after you completed the semester?

Thanks!

You know what, that's a good question. I don't think I did. I know i sent one to TMDSAS because they asked for it specifically. I remember being afraid to send in my fall transcript because it would show that I had such a blow off senior year. ok I'm sure I didn't send one in. I'm not sure if it's required for matriculation, but it's definetly not required for acceptance.

FryingPan said:

Thanks!

I graduated a year ago, so I only had to send one in, which I did very shortly after my interview.

Miss155 said:
To all the accepted Baylor URMs:

Baylor is having there "accepted applicants weekend" next week, are any of you going?

I just had a revisit weekend in NYU and they included filipinos as part of URM. (If you separate them from other asians, meaning chinese or indian, filipinos are behind african americans and latinos in acceptance rate) Anyways, I don't suppose you know if the revisit weekend is open to filipinos do u? or like someone else asked, is there a weekend for ALL accepted individuals?

Any of you Feb. interviewees going to send an LOI? I haven't, and don't know if I will...Does it really make such a difference?

I interviewed pretty early and sent one after I completed my last interview. I think they note the letter as continued intereast but, in my opinion it is not going to change your rank. Maybe it will help with the waitlist but, right now they are trying to compile what they consider the strongest, best fitting class and I am pretty sure MOST everyone who interviews there holds BCM in high regard. Anyway lets hope Dr. Bradshaw makes some more calls this afternoon and calls some of us.

ThaJewelofPR said:
Any of you Feb. interviewees going to send an LOI? I haven't, and don't know if I will...Does it really make such a difference?

FastForward said:
I interviewed pretty early and sent one after I completed my last interview. I think they note the letter as continued intereast but, in my opinion it is not going to change your rank. Maybe it will help with the waitlist but, right now they are trying to compile what they consider the strongest, best fitting class and I am pretty sure MOST everyone who interviews there holds BCM in high regard. Anyway lets hope Dr. Bradshaw makes some more calls this afternoon and calls some of us.

Thanks for the info, FF. Good :luck: to everyone!

tansuperman said:
I just had a revisit weekend in NYU and they included filipinos as part of URM. (If you separate them from other asians, meaning chinese or indian, filipinos are behind african americans and latinos in acceptance rate) Anyways, I don't suppose you know if the revisit weekend is open to filipinos do u? or like someone else asked, is there a weekend for ALL accepted individuals?

I am not sure if it is open to filipinos, but if AAMC classifies filipinos as URMS then you should get the email. I heard there will be a weekend for all accepted individuals in April.

Have any of you considered doing any of the M.D. Tracks they have if you get in? I would love to participate in the Research Track, or maybe even the Care of the Underserved Track...

Just called the admissions office....my file is complete and the person i talked to was telling me that the admissions committee is still meeting on a regular basis and will probably do so for the next couple of weeks. She also told me that all of us that are still waiting to be informed will be getting a status letter (either rejection or waitlist) in the snail mail perhaps in the next 3-5 weeks (makes me feel like one of those mail in rebate things :laugh: :laugh: ). So, it seems like we will be hearing for sure at the latest in mid-April.

ThaJewelofPR said:
Have any of you considered doing any of the M.D. Tracks they have if you get in? I would love to participate in the Research Track, or maybe even the Care of the Underserved Track...

I've been thinking about one of these tracks and if given the chance i'd definitely want to do at least one and maybe 2 of them.

Crap, waiting 3-5 weeks is painful....

ThaJewelofPR said:
Crap, waiting 3-5 weeks is painful....

I hear you Jewel. But atleast will have a better idea where we stand and will hopefully :luck: be accepted. I am also intereasted in the research track, so here's to hoping.

any news from baylor lately? are they sending out any more acceptances or is it mainly waitlists/ rejections now? anyone accepted from 2/24 interview date?

Gabriella said:
any news from baylor lately? are they sending out any more acceptances or is it mainly waitlists/ rejections now? anyone accepted from 2/24 interview date?

Hey Gabriella, I'm a 2/24 interviewee as well, who is still waiting to hear...Something tells me they are just giving out waitlists/rejections at this point...None of us on this thread have heard anything lately, except for one or two people who got accepted about two weeks ago....they were october interviewees, I think...Anyhow, good luck! Hope we hear good news soon!

Has anyone heard any word about financial aid?

My understanding from an earlier post by a current student (ms. a, I think?) was that they'll only notify for acceptances from now until the first of April. By that point, they'll have filled the first wave of acceptances and begun to receive some withdrawals. I would imagine that they'll then waitlist and deny people based on where they're at on the computer list. Seems like the most logical, easiest method to me.

But then again, what about this process has been logical?

Miss155 said:
Has anyone heard any word about financial aid?

I filled out all the forms they told us to fill out, except for the one where we have to figure out which loan company we have to go through. There are so many different options for it.

Congrats Almost There....Hopefully we'll all hear some good news sooon!!

Congrats Almost There. i think i remember you from the interview. Is Baylor your first choice?

ThaJewelofPR, best of luck to you. I've had many interviews but i really can't imagine going to any other school but Baylor (althout the others have maybe even better reps)

keeps the posts coming people. i need to know what's going on in this obscure process

I just got the call from Major Bradshaw, I'm in!!, I interviewed 2/24

I just got the call from Bradshaw too! He told me that they met today and so I guess they're moving the process along. It seems that the call could literally come at any time now; it's not just in the evenings like it was for most other people (I think). I interviewed on 2/24 as well, so best wishes to everybody!

Congrats almost_there, ubuggin, and yakbox! God, now I'm going to stare at my phone for the rest of the day.... :eek: !