Baylor Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
vik829 said:
looking at when they contacted people for the feb 10 interview (they emailed jan 16?17?) ....they will email next week for the final interview date (i think it's feb 24)

I found out on Jan 14th about my Feb 10th interview. I think they interview through the end of Feb, so the 24th sounds right.

I heard that the interviewees have to stand up and introduce themselves at BCM. Should one try to be original or be bland? How did people play it when you all were there?

Members don't see this ad.

halo1570 said:
I found out on Jan 14th about my Feb 10th interview. I think they interview through the end of Feb, so the 24th sounds right.

I heard that the interviewees have to stand up and introduce themselves at BCM. Should one try to be original or be bland? How did people play it when you all were there?

It's true - you have to do that. Some people just said very simply name, major, school, job, whatever. Some people were pretty funny. I know that at the interview that happened after Halloween all the interviewees were asked what their costumes had been.

halo1570 said:

you received an email on saturday?! didnt know they worked weekends :)

Members don't see this ad :)
halo1570 said:

Yes, we had to say our name and our favorite Thanksgiving day food. Some people tried to be funny, which was generally annyoing. You can't be funny about Thanksigiving food-- just say something. No one is recording your answer. The admissions committee doesn't pick you based on whether you said "pumpkin pie" or "I like the turkey leftovers that you use to make a sandwhich the next day while sitting in the park feeling the cool breeze...."

Hi

I interviewed Jan 6, 2006 and just received an acceptance letter which was dated Jan 23. For those who interviewed earlier in the cycle without any word yet, I would suggest sending a letter of intent. I sent one to Dr. Phillips, instead of the Dr. Bradshaw. One of the MS4 advised me to do that. When I called about my status they told me I was accepted, so try calling about your status. You never know what they will tell you. Stay proactive if Baylor is your first choice. I love the school.

Miss155 said:
Hi

I interviewed Jan 6, 2006 and just received an acceptance letter which was dated Jan 23. For those who interviewed earlier in the cycle without any word yet, I would suggest sending a letter of intent. I sent one to Dr. Phillips, instead of the Dr. Bradshaw. One of the MS4 advised me to do that. When I called about my status they told me I was accepted, so try calling about your status. You never know what they will tell you. Stay proactive if Baylor is your first choice. I love the school.

Congrats!
Thanks for the tips... What is Dr. Phillips' first name?

man, it's nearing the end. i know it's pretty much hopeless but still sticking it out. i hope baylor gives me something. i am not particularly fond of baylor's status or actual schooling. i just love houston too much to leave.

haha i actually thought i had a chance this year since i now personally know the head of orthopedics, the head of orthopedic research, and dr. bradshaw. oh well.

Miss155 said:
Hi

Congrats!!!! :D

i hope the last interviews are given out this week so we don't have to wait anymore! :)

yourmom25 said:
man, it's nearing the end. i know it's pretty much hopeless but still sticking it out. i hope baylor gives me something. i am not particularly fond of baylor's status or actual schooling. i just love houston too much to leave.

haha i actually thought i had a chance this year since i now personally know the head of orthopedics, the head of orthopedic research, and dr. bradshaw. oh well.

Just curious..what do you not like about Baylor's status? Lots of people tell me it's a great school, you know, top 15 and all that, but then I've talked to others who wouldn't go there at all. Is anyone else getting mixed opinions?

As for the interviews, I'm pullin' for ya :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
another question about course requirements:

all baylor wants are two bios, two chems, two orgos, two physics and two english classes....is that right?

I have to take a math to graduate this spring, and i'm trying to decide between statistcs and linguistics, and I'll probably go for linguistics because I am terrible at math...but I just wanted to make sure they wouldn't take back my acceptance ha ha...

idillio06 said:
Just curious..what do you not like about Baylor's status? Lots of people tell me it's a great school, you know, top 15 and all that, but then I've talked to others who wouldn't go there at all. Is anyone else getting mixed opinions?

to answer your question, i work in the medical center with plenty of doctors that attended baylor for their med school and/or residency and still teach at baylor. all of them have unanimously told me that the school has made a lot of bad choices within the past decade that has compromised their residency programs. the med school has not been as affected by this but what has changed has been a shift from the rigor of the medical knowledge and treatment to "touchy-feely" stuff. baylor students used to enter residency prepared for it and more. now a lot of interns graduating from baylor don't know basic anatomy or physiology but have excellent bedside manner.

again, i am not really one to talk since i have nothing from baylor. this is just stuff that my employers/mentors tell me about baylor when i discuss medical school with them. i feel that their opinion, though of an older generation, is still very valid. anyway, still waiting for that interview, which probably isn't coming by now. haha.

yourmom25 said:
now a lot of interns graduating from baylor don't know basic anatomy or physiology but have excellent bedside manner.

I think we know plenty about anatomy and physiology, plus more.

idillio06 said:

The only negative things I have heard about Baylor are:
(1) The MD/PhD program will not "grandfather" MD/PhDs in when they return to the MD portion of the program after getting their PhD. (Any course changes that occur while you are in the program you are subject to.) This means you may have an extra course or two that you weren't anticipating when you started the program and you might have to stay an additional semester. Pros: Get an up to date medical education, more time in clinics before Step II Cons: If you try and get some class out of the way before entering the PhD part you might end up taking a class that will no longer be required or completely fulfill a certain requirement.

(2) The split with the Methodist Hospital (formerly one of Baylor's primary teaching hospitals) was really nasty (you can search www.chron.com for articles from the Houston Chronicle about it). Unfortunately, a lot of faculty felt like they were being given an "us or them" ultimatum and a number of clinical and research faculty left on less than amicable terms. No idea how this affects clinicals; Baylor has partnered with St. Luke's instead.

Overall, I love Baylor and would go there in a heartbeat. The med students I've talked to say that everyone is friendly and helpful as opposed to competive. However, sometimes it can help to know exactly what you are getting into.

karirunner said:
The only negative things I have heard about Baylor are:
(1) The MD/PhD program will not "grandfather" MD/PhDs in when they return to the MD portion of the program after getting their PhD. (Any course changes that occur while you are in the program you are subject to.) This means you may have an extra course or two that you weren't anticipating when you started the program and you might have to stay an additional semester. Pros: Get an up to date medical education, more time in clinics before Step II Cons: If you try and get some class out of the way before entering the PhD part you might end up taking a class that will no longer be required or completely fulfill a certain requirement.

(2) The split with the Methodist Hospital (formerly one of Baylor's primary teaching hospitals) was really nasty (you can search www.chron.com for articles from the Houston Chronicle about it). Unfortunately, a lot of faculty felt like they were being given an "us or them" ultimatum and a number of clinical and research faculty left on less than amicable terms. No idea how this affects clinicals; Baylor has partnered with St. Luke's instead.

Overall, I love Baylor and would go there in a heartbeat. The med students I've talked to say that everyone is friendly and helpful as opposed to competive. However, sometimes it can help to know exactly what you are getting into.

Thanks karirunner. By the way - congrats on your Texas match result! (I'm from TX too) I did hear a bit about the Methodist-BCM split...wasn't too nice, was it? I'm going to keep my options open for now - I'm sure going to any Texas school would be fine.

Hi

When are we supposed to receive correspondence about filling out any necessary paperwork?

I've decided that since Major hasn't call me to say I'm accepted yet, Imma go ahead and call him and say he's accepted. "Lead by example" is what my mother taught me. What do you guys think?

Hi

You might just receive a letter by mail instead of a call. It seems that Dr. Micheal hasn't had the chance to call the accepted students. So watch your mailbox.

For those of you that have already interviewed-

Was anything mentioned regarding the impact of the Baylor/Methodist split on the school of medicine? Have current students, administrators, or interviewers commented on any fallout the school has or may experience?

Ya, I interviewed this last cycle, I thought it curious that the big hospital across the street wasn't on any of the maps. There was a bit of talk about it from students - about politics and building new hospitals. My tour guide said that things were being smoothed over, but there wasn't a lot of detail. I could tell that it was somewhat of an issue for the higher ups, but doesn't really affect the students. Oh, and Methodist does have a great cafeteria :p

halo1570 said:
For those of you that have already interviewed-

Was anything mentioned regarding the impact of the Baylor/Methodist split on the school of medicine? Have current students, administrators, or interviewers commented on any fallout the school has or may experience?

I don't remember them addressing it as part of the formal program, but a lot of the interviewees seemed to be concerned about it. Whenever people asked about it, the general response was something like, " it doesn't matter because we have plenty of clinical opportuniteis around here...we have found another affiliate...we are building our own clinic...it won't have any impact, etc."

It is interesting that there is this undercurrent of talk suggesting that Baylor has been going down hill lately. I have also heare some of the grumblings that the school isn't putting enough emphasis on pre-clinical science. I also heard that class attendance in recent years has been terrible and the administration is thinking about making changes to try and make people go to class. I don't know if there is anything to all these rumours, or if it is just jealousy. I tend to believe that if it is out there, there is atleast some grain of truth behind it. I may be a little biased though, because I apparently didn't get accepted.

So, hey, here's a question......
I really want to get into Baylor because (1) I work there and love the academic, collaborative environment (2) my husband is a grad student there and (3) it's just so dang good. I interviewed Dec. 2. Should I now send a letter of intent,or call to see if I haven't been flatly rejected, or try to talk to the dean of admissions in person? (The med students here I talked to suggested the last one but I think it is a bit much.) Any suggestions? Thanks!

Second Look:

When is it? Anyone?

Any new news anyone? Any recent acceptances? Is Feb. 10th the last confirmed interview date? Or do we have another confirmed interview after that?

The last interview is reportedly Feb. 24th.

Lee580 said:
I don't remember them addressing it as part of the formal program, but a lot of the interviewees seemed to be concerned about it. Whenever people asked about it, the general response was something like, " it doesn't matter because we have plenty of clinical opportuniteis around here...we have found another affiliate...we are building our own clinic...it won't have any impact, etc."

It is interesting that there is this undercurrent of talk suggesting that Baylor has been going down hill lately. I have also heare some of the grumblings that the school isn't putting enough emphasis on pre-clinical science. I also heard that class attendance in recent years has been terrible and the administration is thinking about making changes to try and make people go to class. I don't know if there is anything to all these rumours, or if it is just jealousy. I tend to believe that if it is out there, there is atleast some grain of truth behind it. I may be a little biased though, because I apparently didn't get accepted.

The baylor/methodist split mainly affected residents--it is my understanding that there were very few services at Methodist that had med students on them. Your clinicals will be predominantly at Ben Taub (county hospital) and the VA which is where they have been for many many years. I'm currently an MS1 and while the split was definately newsworthy, it has had minimal (if any) impact on my education thus far and I don't forsee any impact during the clinical years either.

The fact that Baylor's basic sciences are done in 18 months probably opens it up to some criticism, but I think the curriculum is comprehensive. I would guess that some things are probably not taught as "in-depth" since there is 6 months less time...but I'm sure they still prepare us adequately since baylor graduates seem to have no problem during the match. Our class this year has a very high attendance rate, so I don't think that is necessarily a valid point of contention this year.

Baylor is a great school with a great future. [completely biased view]

potato51 said:
The last interview is reportedly Feb. 24th.

Hey potato, do you actually know people who are interviewing on that day, or is it just hear-say info?

baysouth said:
Hey potato, do you actually know people who are interviewing on that day, or is it just hear-say info?

A coworker of mine is interviewing that day, and I've heard on here that the 24th is the last interview day.

hearsay and what I've read on SDN.

A couple Baylor friends of mine were end-of-February interviewees years ago and got accepted the next month.

Have there been any acceptances in the last 2 weeks? I can't seem to find any on SDN.

miller13 said:
Have there been any acceptances in the last 2 weeks? I can't seem to find any on SDN.

I interviewed Jan 20th and still haven't heard anything. One of my interviewers was Dr. Phillips BTW, anyone alse had him?

Anyhow, did anyone who interviewed on 20th hear from them yet? I'm getting all antsy already...

I had Dr. Phillips also

I had Dr. Phillips also. Was your interview long or short

I had Dr. Phillips. He spent the first 10 minutes reading my file and then seemed very distant....but I was accepted so who knows.

Miss155 said:
I had Dr. Phillips also. Was your interview long or short

Interview was normal, about 30 min, but he did read my file (hadn't read before), got a phone call and seemed to doze off...
when I get nervous I get red and I think by the end of the interview I was the color of my shirt (it was pink)! But he finally cracked a smile when he said goodbye and said we'd love to have you here so... here's to hoping he doesn't say that to all the interviewees...

Just interviewed at BCM yesterday. One of the profs on the adcom told our group that we could hear back from them as early as next week, but usually(according to you all and current med students) they don't start calling people before 2 weeks after your interview. Think they are moving up the wait because it is nearing the end of the interview season?

Any ideas??

halo1570 said:
Just interviewed at BCM yesterday. One of the profs on the adcom told our group that we could hear back from them as early as next week, but usually(according to you all and current med students) they don't start calling people before 2 weeks after your interview. Think they are moving up the wait because it is nearing the end of the interview season?

Any ideas??
I think they told us the same thing when I interviewed Dec. 2nd.

xaviera_o said:
I interviewed Jan 20th and still haven't heard anything. One of my interviewers was Dr. Phillips BTW, anyone alse had him?

Anyhow, did anyone who interviewed on 20th hear from them yet? I'm getting all antsy already...

I wish I had Dr. Phillips, but he was out of town when I interviewed. He is such an awesome guy!

Anyone from the Feb 10th interview day get an acceptance phone call this week??

I am holding on to the whole 2 week turn around theory.

Very curious if anyone has been accepted from the Feb 10th interview date, so I am going to keep bumping the thread.

Did all of you who received acceptances hear on a Friday or another week day?

halo1570 said:
Very curious if anyone has been accepted from the Feb 10th interview date, so I am going to keep bumping the thread.

Did all of you who received acceptances hear on a Friday or another week day?
Don't hold your breath. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happened until March.

Bernito said:
Don't hold your breath. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happened until March.

Obviously I am not holding my breath for a two week turn around phone call. But if I were to receive a call, would it be on a Friday or another week day? Also, I just wanted to know if anyone had heard considering they told us we could hear as early as 1 week post-interview.

Considering this thread is for Baylor neurotics I am allowed to ask as many silly, insecure questions as I want. Thanks for your insightful help.