Baylor Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gabriella said:
Congrats Almost There. i think i remember you from the interview. Is Baylor your first choice?

ThaJewelofPR, best of luck to you. I've had many interviews but i really can't imagine going to any other school but Baylor (althout the others have maybe even better reps)

keeps the posts coming people. i need to know what's going on in this obscure process

Yeah, Baylor is definitely #1 for me. I'd be happy at UTMB, but there is something that Baylor has that UTMB doesn't. Damn this slow process.

Congrats to all who got in and goodluck to those of us who are still waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone that has gotten called! I am praying that I get one soon! This is sooo stressful!

To those who have not been accepted-

Here's a piece of advice. This comes from somebody who went through 2 application cycles before he got in. I know exactly what you are going through.

1) Unsubscribe from all threads like this one (acceptance/waitlist threads). If you haven't gotten in by now, chances are not great, but hopefully I am wrong. The only thing it will do is make you think about not getting in everytime you check your email. Don't worry, no important information is going to be discussed about how to get in. I wish I would have done this last year, instead July came around and I was still getting those emails (very depressing).

2) If you have been accepted somewhere get excited about it. Start looking at housing and focus on the positives. You got in and are going to be a doctor!

3) If you haven't been accepted I feel for you. Keep the schools updated on your activitities but don't bug them too much. DO SOMETHING NEW. Start volunteering somewhere new or get into some new research. They didn't think the person they interviewed deserved an out right acceptance, so do something more. If I would have down this last year I might be in med school right now. Instead I just sat around writing letters and hoping and then finally in June I started doing some new stuff which I think really helped me this year.

Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Great post Ranger47

And btw, congrats yakbox and ubuggin! Are y'all coming to Baylor for sure?

To those of you who have already filled out all the financial aid stuff, which lender did you choose for your Stafford loan? Is SallieMae Medloans what most people go for? Any recommendations?

Barring some unforeseen major change of events, I'm there :)

so i'm assuming there will be no more acceptance calls till people withdraw acceptances?

Got the call today! I interviewed on 2/24.

Now I gotta talk the little lady into moving to TX.

Congrats, Slim! By the way, did you ever send them a LOI??

CONGRATS Slim! I'm glad there is some activity in this thread because it kinda died down for a day or so.....Hope the calls keep comming!

Congrats Slim :thumbup:
BCM is awesome and is my dream school but, alas I think my MCAT is going to hold me back. But, alteast they are still sending their love to people. This process is like waiting to be picked for a middle school kick ball team. It sucks to wait but is euphoric if/when chosen. Anyway, heres to hoping for more calls this week.

A friend of mine heard some time last week (Wed, maybe?). There's still hope...

Members don't see this ad :)
no, no letter of intent, just the interview.

I had inferred (hoped?) that I was gonna get accepted b/c a few days after I interviewed, the admissions office let me know that I was missing a transcript.

I got the call this afternoon right as I was trying to study for a Spanish test. Needless to say it was no bueno for my studying, but it's soooo nice to be done with this whole application process. BCM is it for me!

Does ANYONE know when they fill the class and start sending out waitlist/rejection letters? I interviewed in October and have heard nothing. I contacted them twice trying to get info, but it didn't help. I am not worried about not getting in. I am in at schools I like just as much/better. However, I did REALLY like Baylor, and I am afraid that if I was to get in too late I wouldn't be able to go b/c I will have already started the ball rolling in another direction [for example, my girlfriend of over 6 years is a major factor in my decision, and I can't tell her at the last minute I am changing plans and moving to Texas]. Anyway, does anyone know what the timeline at Baylor is? Thanks!

UTpremed said:
Does ANYONE know when they fill the class and start sending out waitlist/rejection letters? I interviewed in October and have heard nothing. I contacted them twice trying to get info, but it didn't help. I am not worried about not getting in. I am in at schools I like just as much/better. However, I did REALLY like Baylor, and I am afraid that if I was to get in too late I wouldn't be able to go b/c I will have already started the ball rolling in another direction [for example, my girlfriend of over 6 years is a major factor in my decision, and I can't tell her at the last minute I am changing plans and moving to Texas]. Anyway, does anyone know what the timeline at Baylor is? Thanks!

So I just called Baylor, and the lady told me that waitlist/acceptance letters would be sent out late March/early April, while rejection letters are being sent out now.

Hang in there, everyone! Here's to hoping! :luck:

FryingPan said:
So I just called Baylor, and the lady told me that waitlist/acceptance letters would be sent out late March/early April, while rejection letters are being sent out now.

Hang in there, everyone! Here's to hoping! :luck:

Crazy.... :scared: :scared: :scared:

And to UTpremed...i called a couple of weeks ago and they about the same thing that they said to FryingPan. Status letters should be going out (accepted, waitlisted, rejected)....but i was told they would be going out in mid-April. Perhaps they are just covering their butts and sending them out earlier than planned.

I haven't heard anything yet either. Is there an academic calendar available? Anyone know when orientation is? (I belive they start early July)

mandatory orientation starts on july 24 and continues up until classes start, which as stated above is july 31. the academic calender is on the website that the office of student affairs gave to us.

BaylorGuy said:
they would be going out in mid-April
man that is really effing late, it makes me question their efficiency. but at least its cheap, cant beat that value

hi!

I heard about a month ago from Baylor. Congrats to all those who got in!

Just wondering have any of you guys who've been accepted started looking for housing (condos, apartments etc)? Is this relevant to this thread or does it belong somewhere else?

I started looking a week or so ago then i decided i'll wait and see what the 2010 class site will say about it in a couple of days :)

Shredder said:
man that is really effing late, it makes me question their efficiency. but at least its cheap, cant beat that value

Well, its not like they are the only school who informs their applicants really late in the game, but i totally understand what you mean. It just sucks being told to wait for months on end, until you finally get a notic of what is up.

just out of curiosity...those of you who are waiting, why do you like baylor so much? i understand its a good school but what is it about baylor that so many of you are restlessly waiting for the phone call?

i interviewed there and i liked it but i withdrew my acceptance pretty soon after i got into southwestern (i am a little biased because i am from dallas)...the curriculum seems very innovative but no matter where you go you will still be expected to know the same material so i dont understand how thats a factor...the TMC itself is awesome but i believe that baylor students primarily only rotate at ben taub and the VA, and neither is in the top 50 in anything...

as far as boards are concerned, i hear that baylor scores very high but if you look at the match list, schools like southwestern have a significantly greater number of harvard/columbia/duke/washu/ucsf residencies with its avg being 229...and personally, the critical factor in my decision was the location, houston is not the most attractive city to spend four years of your life in, im from texas and even i think the humidity in houston is unbearable...

i really dont mean to hate on baylor in any way, in fact i consider it to be a great medical school but i just feel so terrible for those of you who are staring at your cell phones hoping for "the phone call"...i am sure you must all be very intelligent and compassionate to have made it this far and i just hope that the disappointment doesnt ruin the experience for you...many of you seem to already hold acceptances at other schools and i just hope that you can enjoy this tremendous accomplishment and be happy at your respective schools despite putting your lives on hold for all these months while waiting for baylor...

I would say that Baylor is higher in rankings than UTSW

fo shizzle said:
just out of curiosity...those of you who are waiting, why do you like baylor so much? i understand its a good school but what is it about baylor that so many of you are restlessly waiting for the phone call?

i interviewed there and i liked it but i withdrew my acceptance pretty soon after i got into southwestern (i am a little biased because i am from dallas)...the curriculum seems very innovative but no matter where you go you will still be expected to know the same material so i dont understand how thats a factor...the TMC itself is awesome but i believe that baylor students primarily only rotate at ben taub and the VA, and neither is in the top 50 in anything...

as far as boards are concerned, i hear that baylor scores very high but if you look at the match list, schools like southwestern have a significantly greater number of harvard/columbia/duke/washu/ucsf residencies with its avg being 229...and personally, the critical factor in my decision was the location, houston is not the most attractive city to spend four years of your life in, im from texas and even i think the humidity in houston is unbearable...

i really dont mean to hate on baylor in any way, in fact i consider it to be a great medical school but i just feel so terrible for those of you who are staring at your cell phones hoping for "the phone call"...i am sure you must all be very intelligent and compassionate to have made it this far and i just hope that the disappointment doesnt ruin the experience for you...many of you seem to already hold acceptances at other schools and i just hope that you can enjoy this tremendous accomplishment and be happy at your respective schools despite putting your lives on hold for all these months while waiting for baylor...

You bring up an interesting point. I'm not going to lie, after my interview at Baylor, I used to check my phone and messages probably 3-4 times a day to see if I had any messages from Baylor. The wait drove me crazy, but I was fortunate enough to find out relatively soon after my interview so then everything was cool. But I find the same attitudes prevailing in not only SDN folks but also people from my university who have gotten into other schools but are waiting on Baylor. They will talk a lot about how excited they are to be at XYZ school, but qualify their statement by saying that if Baylor still happens to call, they will be there! I think Baylor on the whole is just a amazingly well-rounded institution. It definitely has a really big, established reputation. Here are the few reasons I have posted earlier why I think Baylor is so popular as a medical school:

1)The clinical affiliations (Ben Taub, Houston VA, St. Luke's, Texas Children's Hospital, Menninger Clinic, TIRR, etc.) in the world's largest medical center, Texas Medical Center, are all awesome
2)1 and a half years of basic sciences and 2 and a half years of rotations rock (apparently this helps your residency applications and helps you to do better on Step 1 USMLE)
3)Baylor students I've met all seem really smart but at the same time pretty laid back (I can't say the same about Southwestern)
4)BCM has that "great school" reputation amongst residency directors, which will be useful when we apply for residencies
5)Baylor students have top 5 in the country board scores, another residency boost
6)Tuition,especially for a private school, is an amazing deal
7)I think nearly 50-60 out of the 149 people that matched for residencies from Baylor in 2005 ended up staying there for residency, showing that they like to take back their own for residencies; Match lists are also impressive, with traditionally hard to get into specialties like dermatology, ENT (11 last year!), ophtho, etc. doing well
8)Cost of living in Texas is really cheap
9)Classes are mostly 8-12 PM; all lectures are recorded on video, and can be readily downloaded in real media format to view at your leisure
10)Community service options as med students are also really good
11)Multiple tracks you can take within the curriculum: Research, Ethics, International Health, Geriatrics, Care for the Underserved
12)Dr. Michael DeBakey, world famous heart surgeon, has earned his name while being at Baylor and in the process put Baylor on the map

I still think you can get an awesome education anywhere you go(Southwestern, etc.). Remember, most of your medical education, and most of life for that matter, is what you personally make out of it. This being said, good luck to everyone still waiting to hear from Baylor, and if you don't happen to hear from them, remember that you will still be getting an awesome medical education wherever you go.

hobbesiscool said:
You bring up an interesting point. I'm not going to lie, after my interview at Baylor, I used to check my phone and messages probably 3-4 times a day to see if I had any messages from Baylor. The wait drove me crazy, but I was fortunate enough to find out relatively soon after my interview so then everything was cool. But I find the same attitudes prevailing in not only SDN folks but also people from my university who have gotten into other schools but are waiting on Baylor. They will talk a lot about how excited they are to be at XYZ school, but qualify their statement by saying that if Baylor still happens to call, they will be there! I think Baylor on the whole is just a amazingly well-rounded institution. It definitely has a really big, established reputation. Here are the few reasons I have posted earlier why I think Baylor is so popular as a medical school:

1)The clinical affiliations (Ben Taub, Houston VA, St. Luke's, Texas Children's Hospital, Menninger Clinic, TIRR, etc.) in the world's largest medical center, Texas Medical Center, are all awesome
2)1 and a half years of basic sciences and 2 and a half years of rotations rock (apparently this helps your residency applications and helps you to do better on Step 1 USMLE)
3)Baylor students I've met all seem really smart but at the same time pretty laid back (I can't say the same about Southwestern)
4)BCM has that "great school" reputation amongst residency directors, which will be useful when we apply for residencies
5)Baylor students have top 5 in the country board scores, another residency boost
7)I think nearly 50-60 out of the 149 people that matched for residencies from Baylor in 2005 ended up staying there for residency, showing that they like to take back their own for residencies; Match lists are also impressive, with traditionally hard to get into specialties like dermatology, ENT (11 last year!), ophtho, etc. doing well
9)Classes are mostly 8-12 PM; all lectures are recorded on video, and can be readily downloaded in real media format to view at your leisure
11)Multiple tracks you can take within the curriculum: Research, Ethics, International Health, Geriatrics, Care for the Underserved
12)Dr. Michael DeBakey, world famous heart surgeon, has earned his name while being at Baylor and in the process put Baylor on the map

I still think you can get an awesome education anywhere you go(Southwestern, etc.). Remember, most of your medical education, and most of life for that matter, is what you personally make out of it. This being said, good luck to everyone still waiting to hear from Baylor, and if you don't happen to hear from them, remember that you will still be getting an awesome medical education wherever you go.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbup:

hobbesiscool said:

Good post; neutral--a plus

BaylorGuy said:
Well, its not like they are the only school who informs their applicants really late in the game, but i totally understand what you mean. It just sucks being told to wait for months on end, until you finally get a notic of what is up.
eh, even ivies and most top 20s push it to march at the latest from what ive seen. april i have not seen. even for late interviewees, by that time most acceptances should be already sent, making it faster to evaluate the last few applicants. with baylor being rolling, that is. even my non rollers notified in march. its hard to justify a roller notifying all the way into april. i sent an email about what the hell is going on with my status from my recent interview, and they said sometimes they notify all the way up to the day classes start. waitlisting i can understand, but then they should tell you youre on it at least. im just a really impatient guy and this is reflected everywhere on sdn in my posts. if any entity takes a long time to do anything i assume theres screwing around and inefficiency going on, no benefit of the doubt--gotta live up to my icon you know. ohio states my only acceptance, and granted it doesnt have the big name but they were pretty badass with their turnaround of a few weeks, and in retrospect im super pleased with that. my interview sucked too, what a cool school

baylor makes the news more than SW. its hands down the best school in tx and the dirty south. in the end what matters for schools is recognition--national, international, and among laymen/the masses. just my assertion

Shredder said:
i sent an email about what the hell is going on with my status from my recent interview, and they said sometimes they notify all the way up to the day classes start. waitlisting i can understand, but then they should tell you youre on it at least. im just a really impatient guy and this is reflected everywhere on sdn in my posts.

If this helps at all...Baylor can't accept you any later than June 15th seeing as how you have another acceptance at Ohio State. The website is my reference on this. Only a mere 2.5 months left of waiting for you and me, my friend.

it would be highly inconsiderate for them to wait that long, id possibly tell them to take their acceptance and shove it. 2.5 months more--which would make the entire process take a full year, great. how ridiculous

Shredder said:
it would be highly inconsiderate for them to wait that long, id possibly tell them to take their acceptance and shove it. 2.5 months more--which would make the entire process take a full year, great. how ridiculous

Kinda sucks when supply and demand doesn't work in your favor, doesn't it?

Actually, halo, provided that Shredder only holds his OSU match on May 15, he can stay on Baylor's waitlist longer than those of us holding in-state acceptances. From TMDSAS:

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/Acceptance-MatchInfo.htm#AcceptanceInfo

"After June 15, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine."

In other new, anyone else notice that the TMDSAS website has been updated?:

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/HomepageApplicants.htm

Personally, I find the photo looking outward from the dental patient's mouth to be a little scary. But the cat on the right looks rather sedate(d).

I went back to the BCM website and it does say "in deference to alternate wait-listed applicants, no places are offered to individuals already holding a place at another medical school in Texas after June 15." I guess I missed the whole Texas stipulation when I read that several months ago.

I take it back Shredder...I will have to wait no longer than June 15th. You, on the other hand, can sweat it out till the first day of class. Just kidding. Think of how impatient you will be at that point?

bah, ill just reject them if push comes to shove. im an intj, i need closure

hobbesiscool said:

I want to thank hobbes for the honest response, surprisingly neutral and equally impressive…it is not my intention to criticize Baylor, rather I was simply attempting to reason with one of my own friends and anyone else who is in her position…I have a friend who holds an acceptance at a less renowned Texas medical school and she looks at these listings ten times a day wondering if maybe another person was accepted…I only wanted to convey that going to a middle tier school will still present you with a world of opportunities and I used Southwestern as a reference because it is also a state school and it is the school that I am most familiar with…talking to her does not seem to help so I thought that if she read my argument on here, she might feel more content about her fortunate position…

Shredder said:
eh, even ivies and most top 20s push it to march at the latest from what ive seen. april i have not seen. even for late interviewees, by that time most acceptances should be already sent, making it faster to evaluate the last few applicants. with baylor being rolling, that is. even my non rollers notified in march. its hard to justify a roller notifying all the way into april. i sent an email about what the hell is going on with my status from my recent interview, and they said sometimes they notify all the way up to the day classes start. waitlisting i can understand, but then they should tell you youre on it at least. im just a really impatient guy and this is reflected everywhere on sdn in my posts. if any entity takes a long time to do anything i assume theres screwing around and inefficiency going on, no benefit of the doubt--gotta live up to my icon you know. ohio states my only acceptance, and granted it doesnt have the big name but they were pretty badass with their turnaround of a few weeks, and in retrospect im super pleased with that. my interview sucked too, what a cool school

baylor makes the news more than SW. its hands down the best school in tx and the dirty south. in the end what matters for schools is recognition--national, international, and among laymen/the masses. just my assertion
Since I will most likely attend Southwestern I feel that maybe I should defend it just a little bit, just a little…UT Southwestern happens to have the most Nobel Prize winning faculty members out of any medical school in the world, yes the world…even more than Harvard!!! (that surprised me more than world)…I am certain that Nobel Prize winners provide a school with instant international recognition, but that’s just me…and I can assure you that a recommendation letter from a Nobel laureate carries enormous weight among residency directors or anyone else you try to impress…unfortunately, when a Nobel Prize winner is the Dean, he expects the students to live up to their potential, hence the competitive reputation…

anyway, I hope you succeed in all your endeavors and hopefully you will be accepted to the medical school that will bring you the most happiness.

hobbesiscool said:

Where did you get this information from? I have Baylor's match lists from 2005 and 2006 (given to me by the admissions office), and you are waaay off. I'm not trying to hate on Baylor; in fact, I'm going there . . . just wondering if you're thinking of match lists from before 2004 (ie. the Baylor-Methodist split).

fo shizzle said:
Since I will most likely attend Southwestern I feel that maybe I should defend it just a little bit, just a little…UT Southwestern happens to have the most Nobel Prize winning faculty members out of any medical school in the world, yes the world…even more than Harvard!!! (that surprised me more than world)…I am certain that Nobel Prize winners provide a school with instant international recognition, but that’s just me…and I can assure you that a recommendation letter from a Nobel laureate carries enormous weight among residency directors or anyone else you try to impress…unfortunately, when a Nobel Prize winner is the Dean, he expects the students to live up to their potential, hence the competitive reputation…

anyway, I hope you succeed in all your endeavors and hopefully you will be accepted to the medical school that will bring you the most happiness.

Let's not start a Baylor vs UT-SW flame war on the Baylor Acceptances thread. Start you own thread if you want to discuss the merits of both schools. I'm sure there are plenty of waitlisted UT-SW folks with just as many time-consuming insecurities as there are on this thread...

fo shizzle said:

haha, fair arguments. what a courteous post, a rarity

Seona said:
Where did you get this information from? I have Baylor's match lists from 2005 and 2006 (given to me by the admissions office), and you are waaay off. I'm not trying to hate on Baylor; in fact, I'm going there . . . just wondering if you're thinking of match lists from before 2004 (ie. the Baylor-Methodist split).

Didn't mean to post wrong information if I actually did, but I'm looking at the stuff they gave us at my interview (2005 NRMP match list) and if you count the people that matched at Baylor-affilated residency programs, it is in the low 50s. Also, overall, 11 people matched in optho, 11 in ortho, 31 in peds, 24 in IM, 6 in otorhinolaryngology, 6 in urology, 15 in diagnostic radiology. Basically, I'm trying to say that Baylor people fare quite well in the match.

Also, I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not trying to portray any school as better than the other, start flame wars, or any of that business. As I stated earlier, UTSW, Baylor, or any Texas medical school will give you a great education.

I got my phone call last week (or at least a voice message). Glad to know that feeling terrible at the interview didn't make me look like a total idiot (or else they've gotten around to the total idiots at this point in the process) :laugh:

fo shizzle said:
but i believe that baylor students primarily only rotate at ben taub and the VA, and neither is in the top 50 in anything...

To be fair, Ben Taub is a county hospital and the MEDVAMC is, well, a VA. It vies for being the largest and busiest VA in the country, which is what makes it such a great experience (despite not being top 50 in anything). Hell, there are literally robots cruising the hallways, which always remind me of the Death Star.

As for "The Taub", if nothing else it's top 50 in CRAZY. Even the Tulane residents who came here from Charity are impressed with the depth and breadth of the medical weirdness that goes on there. Not surprisingly, Taub is tops for trauma. In fact, whenever a president is in town the place gets prepped in case something happens.

Congrats everyone!

Wondering when you all receive the phone calls? is it tuesdays? so does th committee meet on Mondays?

how many of you all are still waiting to hear anything post interview? since 2/10 for me

Shredder said:
how many of you all are still waiting to hear anything post interview? since 2/10 for me

Still waiting...interviewed on 1/6/06. Expect something in ~2 weeks.

Shredder said:

Waiting since 2/24 for me...

2/10 interviewee here...

So I guess Tuesday wasn't a call day today like it has been for the past couple weeks?

I have been waiting since September. If its truly rolling, hopefully I am still in the running and that they have a few spots left before they start sending out waitlist notifications.